Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tyrande trip report from last night: it took me a few games to really get in a groove but after a while I felt like I was really getting the hang of her. I had a game that went so well that when I started the next match someone on my team actually remembered me and complimented me for destroying them last game :3:

Also I sniped someone across the map :hellyeah:

I think next I'm going to work on Vallah because I have her deputy skin and I apparently played her a lot when the game first came out because she's my highest level character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I'm glad QM is a pre-pick disaster zone because sometimes I really just want to play the one specific hero over and over again without having to listen to slam-pick genjis complaining about the team comp

I also enjoy the weird rear end team comps you get most of the time

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Kashuno posted:

That teamcomp looks like it owns to me.

I mean we won so I can't chastise it too much, it just twitched something really hard in my brain.

Unrelated topic. Does anyone have realistic, reasonable advice on how to be less of a sore loser? I don't rage out or flame people or anything, but I know I let losses get to me way more than I should in a competitive PvP game. Logically I understand they're going to happen, half the time or more. But I don't know how to take that logic to heart so well. :smith:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea both qm and hero league should stay. Don't see much point to unranked draft though since that's just like hero draft without the rewards. So that's what I'd change to something between the two.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Avalerion posted:

Yea both qm and hero league should stay. Don't see much point to unranked draft though since that's just like hero draft without the rewards. So that's what I'd change to something between the two.

It's good for practicing new stuff like it's ranked but without the pressure of it being ranked. Not exactly the same thing but when I used to play dota if I was in ranked I felt like I needed to stick to the things I know because if I gently caress up it's not just my ranking that goes down but my whole team's. In unranked that's not there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mind over Matter posted:

I mean we won so I can't chastise it too much, it just twitched something really hard in my brain.

Unrelated topic. Does anyone have realistic, reasonable advice on how to be less of a sore loser? I don't rage out or flame people or anything, but I know I let losses get to me way more than I should in a competitive PvP game. Logically I understand they're going to happen, half the time or more. But I don't know how to take that logic to heart so well. :smith:

Cognitive Behavior Therapy.

https://www.amazon.com/Cognitive-Behavioral-Workbook-Anxiety-Step/dp/1572245727

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
imo unranked shouldn't have bans and probably allow mirror picks too. The point should be to get two reasonably functional comps, not tryhard draft strategy stuff. I would also suggest drastically lowering the pick timer. You don't need 60 seconds to discuss hero picks in unranked, you find a role that's needed and pick a hero you want to play.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
I have to say one of the best parts of 2.0 is how they made having a stimpack on almost baseline in roundabout way. Excluding my 30 day veteran stimpack I have 2 weeks to go and get 1-2 stims per day from random chests. It's subtle, but get 75 gold per win vs. 50 is so much nicer.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Tyrande trip report from last night: it took me a few games to really get in a groove but after a while I felt like I was really getting the hang of her. I had a game that went so well that when I started the next match someone on my team actually remembered me and complimented me for destroying them last game :3:

Also I sniped someone across the map :hellyeah:

I think next I'm going to work on Vallah because I have her deputy skin and I apparently played her a lot when the game first came out because she's my highest level character.

Part of getting really good at Tyrande is knowing the pathing on every map. That is, assume the person you're chasing is running towards their nearest fountain/otherwise safe area and knowing exactly what path the game is going to take them via so you know exactly where to drop your E, or which bottleneck to send your owl during (and when). Yeah you can just follow up on other people's stuns and roots or whatever, but securing kills and landing the opening stun take a lot of practice. Tyrande hasn't seen significant changes in a while and pretty much comes into play with the meta here and there, but she has long been one of my favorite heroes and during 'stun meta' she is pretty much an instant pick for me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nephzinho posted:

Part of getting really good at Tyrande is knowing the pathing on every map. That is, assume the person you're chasing is running towards their nearest fountain/otherwise safe area and knowing exactly what path the game is going to take them via so you know exactly where to drop your E, or which bottleneck to send your owl during (and when). Yeah you can just follow up on other people's stuns and roots or whatever, but securing kills and landing the opening stun take a lot of practice. Tyrande hasn't seen significant changes in a while and pretty much comes into play with the meta here and there, but she has long been one of my favorite heroes and during 'stun meta' she is pretty much an instant pick for me.

The stun is definitely the hardest for me to land but when I do hit one that leads to a kill it's super satisfying. Also I can sort of use it to herd people if I miss so that's nice.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

The stun is definitely the hardest for me to land but when I do hit one that leads to a kill it's super satisfying. Also I can sort of use it to herd people if I miss so that's nice.

If you have the option it is sometimes worth over-leading the shot so that the person you're chasing has to choose whether to walk into it or juke it, slowing down enough to have the rest of your team catch them. Can also deter their teammates from trying to cover the escape. The only thing that really bugs me on Tyrande is her wave clear is nonexistant, so if you're playing with pubbies and are the only one left alive, it can be incredibly hard to cover lanes effectively and make up the lost XP or cover a pushing merc.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Avalerion posted:

You can play unranked with four people.

Unranked should be literally identical to TL except without rank points and with the ability to play it with a party of four.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

IcePhoenix posted:

It's good for practicing new stuff like it's ranked but without the pressure of it being ranked. Not exactly the same thing but when I used to play dota if I was in ranked I felt like I needed to stick to the things I know because if I gently caress up it's not just my ranking that goes down but my whole team's. In unranked that's not there.

Similarly, it allows you to practice drafting and poo poo before you have enough heroes for ranked, which was an issue for me for ages.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nephzinho posted:

If you have the option it is sometimes worth over-leading the shot so that the person you're chasing has to choose whether to walk into it or juke it, slowing down enough to have the rest of your team catch them. Can also deter their teammates from trying to cover the escape. The only thing that really bugs me on Tyrande is her wave clear is nonexistant, so if you're playing with pubbies and are the only one left alive, it can be incredibly hard to cover lanes effectively and make up the lost XP or cover a pushing merc.

Yeah, the stun sort of helps there since it's AoE but it's not great. Early game I'll stick in lane to soak but once I get to level 10 or so I try to just stick with the team. What ultimate do you recommend for her? I switched between the two but couldn't decide which was better.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mind over Matter posted:

I get around this in HOTS by not taking it seriously to start with, because League is my tryhard game and HOTS is just my drunken clown fiesta Mash Buttons as Gul'Steve game.

That said, I found that in league it helped to both remind myself that if the matchmaker is doing its job, I should lose about half my games including random troll poo poo where someone AFKs or whatever, and then assuming any game I queue for is already a loss. So you go in with no pressure, and if you win, then hey pleasant surprise. It helps you focus less on results and more on your own play, which is really the only thing you can control. Friends have gotten around it by picking one aspect to focus on training each game. Last hitting (not applicable here, sadly), team fights, map awareness & objective control, etc, and then judging their game on how well they do in that area rather than strict victory or defeat.

There are gains to be made every game, even if you lose. Look for those, they'll make you feel better.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Played Auriel QM last night.

Team comp:
- me
- medivh
- kharazim
- alarak
- arthas

enemy team
- butcher
- genji
- cho'gall
- brightwing

map: hanamura

medivh melted down because i picked rez, saying that i should never, ever pick it -- then complained because I rezzed alarak instead of him.

no surprise that we lost, and then said that I single handedly lost us the match.

I love rez.. it's so controversial. :D

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I haven't looked at hots for a while, but I saw the free hero thing and was wondering if any of the packs were particularly better other than "get the one with the least amount of characters you already have".

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kylra posted:

I haven't looked at hots for a while, but I saw the free hero thing and was wondering if any of the packs were particularly better other than "get the one with the least amount of characters you already have".

The Flex pack has the biggest diversity, that's about it.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Kylra posted:

I believe people did the math on the bundles and the "value" of the bundles is weighted towards the assassin bundle, so that's the best bang for your buck in terms of hero price. That said, if you're looking to get back into the game having a more flexible range of heroes to pick from is probably more valuable than that, so the flex bundle might make sense to shore up areas where you don't have as many picks for heroes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, the stun sort of helps there since it's AoE but it's not great. Early game I'll stick in lane to soak but once I get to level 10 or so I try to just stick with the team. What ultimate do you recommend for her? I switched between the two but couldn't decide which was better.

Depends on map and comp. You usually want Starfall in any situation in which you're playing Tyrande, unless you somehow are solo support in which case you kind of need the extra heal.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I really like Varian, he has a lot of variance.

Spudd fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 28, 2017

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I already have a good number of heroes across each role, so I'll probably just pick whichever I have least of if there's no particular standout pack.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kylra posted:

I already have a good number of heroes across each role, so I'll probably just pick whichever I have least of if there's no particular standout pack.

Yeah, if you already have all your bases covered either pick the one that has the most champions you don't own (best value) or the one that has the most champions you want to play (FUN VALUE).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, if you already have all your bases covered either pick the one that has the most champions you don't own (best value) or the one that has the most champions you want to play (FUN VALUE).

Yeah, I snagged the Assassin one because I'd already been looking at buying either Gul'dan or Valla with gold, so when the pack was like "hey, you can have both of those, plus some other stuff", I was sold. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I snagged the Assassin one because I'd already been looking at buying either Gul'dan or Valla with gold, so when the pack was like "hey, you can have both of those, plus some other stuff", I was sold. :v:

Gul'Steve is the most fun I've had in this game, full stop. No other champion is even close. A shame he only has one ultimate, but it's actually a pretty good one. I don't know if the build I run is even "good" but man is it fun.

Is the quest that makes Corruption bounce back 3 additional times the best level 1 talent? I always run that, improved Life Tap, healthstone, that one that makes Fel Flame lower corruption cooldown, and the bonus damage for each hit corruption lands, and the Horrify talent that makes it reduce armor.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rain of Destruction is plenty good with the right team. Minrad is a pretty accomplished Gul'dan and goes RoD more often than not. You have to find somewhere to park yourself ahead of time and trust in your teammates to engage before you start channeling.

Horrify's probably easier to use on the whole.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The patch today was just bug fixes, FYI:

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/683xgx/heroes_of_the_storm_hotfix_notes_april_28_2017/

Bolded the ones people are likely to care about :

quote:

Bug Fixes
General
Fixed an issue that could cause the game client to crash.
Text found on the Gem purchase page in the Korean game client will no longer appear truncated.
Corrected a translation error on the Veteran Loot Chest reward notification screen in the Taiwanese game client.
User Interface
Draft Mode: The Collection screen is no longer accessible to players in draft lobbies.
In-Game: Fixed an issue in which New Talent prompts could fail to appear upon reaching the next Talent tier.
In-Game: Fixed an issue that could cause Party Frames to disappear during Tutorial games.
Portrait: Progression portrait border art will no longer persist on players’ portrait borders in the chat window after switching to Hero or Team League borders.
Portrait: Grand Master rank lightning effects will no longer appear on non-Grand Master players’ portrait borders after switching from a party containing a Grand Master player to another party.
Profile: Grand Master players’ rankings will no longer appear truncated in their profiles.
Profile: Losses will now be correctly displayed in the tooltip that appears when hovering the cursor over Heroes’ win-rates on the profile’s statistics tab.
Rewards: Players will now correctly receive notification that they have earned 1,000 Gems as a reward for reaching player level 5.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

So that's why talents would never auto pop up on Valla.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nice, that talent pop up thing wasn't intentional. I'm the guy who didn't realize he had earned a talent without a giant flashing thing pointing at it. :downs:

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Thank god, had entire games of people not picking talents or claiming they couldn't pick an ult and not listening to me when I told them to pick a 7 talent first.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Thrall just isn't very good any more huh

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Gul'Steve is the most fun I've had in this game, full stop. No other champion is even close. A shame he only has one ultimate, but it's actually a pretty good one. I don't know if the build I run is even "good" but man is it fun.

Is the quest that makes Corruption bounce back 3 additional times the best level 1 talent? I always run that, improved Life Tap, healthstone, that one that makes Fel Flame lower corruption cooldown, and the bonus damage for each hit corruption lands, and the Horrify talent that makes it reduce armor.

That's usually considered his best build although he's got a surprising amount of wiggle room when it comes to talent choices.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

1stGear posted:

If Thrall was good at one thing what would/should it be, when my brother played him months ago he would just yell "dive, dive, dive!" and make submarine noises over discord whenever he did anything.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

1stGear posted:

He's still perfectly good, though?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 28, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zaodai posted:

I tend to go between Corruption build like you describe and Fel Flame build. Really depends on if my team needs waveclear or not.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This game needs way more bans, like 4 a side. Two is insufficient to really shape and respond to a draft and the roster is starting to get big.

With the megabundles there's not even a concern anymore about locking out newbies from being able to participate (or raising the entry requirements).

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
The Gazlowe Announcer is not only real good but its made me miss less talent picks during a fight because whenever you hit a talent level gazlowe yells HEY PICK A TALENT

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

The Gazlowe Announcer is not only real good but its made me miss less talent picks during a fight because whenever you hit a talent level gazlowe yells HEY PICK A TALENT

The best part is being a DoT hero and walking away from a fight and then "TWO FOR ONE SALE!". Gazlowe announcer owns, it'll hold me over just fine until I get Brightwing announcer.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

This game needs way more bans, like 4 a side. Two is insufficient to really shape and respond to a draft and the roster is starting to get big.

With the megabundles there's not even a concern anymore about locking out newbies from being able to participate (or raising the entry requirements).

Or make all heroes free :parrot: so that not owning a hero will never be a concern for Hero League

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Spudd posted:

If Thrall was good at one thing what would/should it be, when my brother played him months ago he would just yell "dive, dive, dive!" and make submarine noises over discord whenever he did anything.

Thrall was (is?) very good at lane pressure. In high skill play the solo lane was almost always Thrall vs. Zagara a few months back.