Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Do what I did and tell the missus that you don't care and let them plan it all

It especially worked out for me since we had a double wedding and her identical twin and her mum just love planning things, all I had to do was show up A+ 10/10

Identical twin you say...sir now you have my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

everdave posted:

Identical twin you say...sir now you have my attention.

her twin got married in the same ceremony as us so :rip: your hopes and dreams of being my brother in law

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gimpsuitjones posted:

I lost my smartphone in January last year and went back to a Nokia brick and extremely loved not having constant email/facebook/etc connectivity. Then my gf made me get another smartphone because she wanted me to have constant connectivity. Boo.

Turn off all notifications other than calls, text messages and whichever messaging apps you use.

Getting rid of the constant barrage of random Facebook and other app notifications helps with lessening the distracting nature of a smartphone.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

her twin got married in the same ceremony as us so :rip: your hopes and dreams of being my brother in law

My hopes and dreams were for some awesome stories from you! Like "it started with this crazy mix up"

blk
Dec 19, 2009
To back pedal to Subaru maintenance chat and tangent from there, here's something I've been ruminating on for 6 months now:

Objective: have a safe convertible for driving with my kid

Option 1: sell my trouble free, recently refreshed 106k mile Saabaru for a E93 (cabrio) 335i
Option 1 cons: I'd lose my AWD bike hauler, but we don't see much snow and I could always put a hitch rack on the E93.

Option 2: sell my super clean 87k mile NA Miata for a NC2 PRHT
Option 2 cons: I'd lose the most Miata Miata experience, as well as pop up headlights, but I'd still have some form of Miata and a reasonably safe baby carrier

Option 3: keep both cars, buy a 997 with a sunroof (or targa if I can afford it) in 2-3 years
Option 3 cons: requires patience and saving, and I'm not sure it's fully financially responsible

What would you guys do?

blk fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 28, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

One of my favorite movies, Runaway Train, finally came out on Blu Ray and it's amazing to see the movie in full HD and not on a lovely DVD having to crop to full screen. Put it in just wanting to see how it looked and ended up watching the whole thing :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Locator posted:

Sucks, but at least it didn't come out of left field as a huge surprise. For the resume since it was a contract position, you can just put that the contract work ran out (which it sort of technically did) and the contracting company didn't want to keep paying you without a position to slot you into. I'm sure a real resume writer person could dress that up and but a nice bow on it somehow.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I was thinking to do it. It's almost true - they couldn't find me a new contract because they didn't try...

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Might be more than you want to spend, but I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SOU2Y0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

a few years ago when I was living with my in-laws and wanted to not disturb them/shut out all the noise of the house and they work amazingly well. You can buy additional headphones and hook them up to the same receiver.

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U23F3E/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to hook them up to my TV's optical out.

I'm basically doing the same thing with a set of Turtle Beach wireless gaming headphones. The transmitter has two 3.5mm inputs. I just use the headphone out from my receiver, since I want to use them for TV, games, and music. You'd think the tape out would work, but it doesn't seem to pass through the audio from the video sources.
I bought the headphones used cheap on eBay. New, the Sennheiser's might be cheaper. You can probably find some cheap RF wireless headphones as well. I used to have some RCA branded ones before the Turtle Beach ones. Switches to TB to get the microphone and integrated gaming chat for the Xbox.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

blk posted:

To back pedal to Subaru maintenance chat and tangent from there, here's something I've been ruminating on for 6 months now:

Option 1: sell my trouble free, recently refreshed 106k mile Saabaru for a E93 (cabrio) 335i
Option 1 cons: I'd lose my AWD bike hauler, but we don't see much snow and I could always put a hitch rack on the E93.

Option 2 cons: I'd lose the most Miata Miata experience, as well as pop up headlights, but I'd still have some form of Miata and a reasonably safe baby carrier

Option 3: keep both cars, buy a 997 with a sunroof (or targa if I can afford it) in 2-3 years
Option 3 cons: requires patience and saving, and I'm not sure it's fully financially responsible

What would you guys do?

Personally, option 1 gives you 2 convertibles, option 2 gives you a convertible and a wagon (I assume) which sounds better to me. If you want a safer convertible replace the one you've got now. Hell you could replace it with the E93 or even put the money towards the 997.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

everdave posted:

My hopes and dreams were for some awesome stories from you! Like "it started with this crazy mix up"

Oh lol

I've accidentally goosed her sister several times thinking it was my wife and just the other day I kissed the wrong one on the cheek because they both got their hair dyed and I wasn't paying attention

Otherwise nothing too exciting and my brother in law has done similar as me except significantly more often

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Oh lol

I've accidentally goosed her sister several times thinking it was my wife and just the other day I kissed the wrong one on the cheek because they both got their hair dyed and I wasn't paying attention

Otherwise nothing too exciting and my brother in law has done similar as me except significantly more often

'accidentally'

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
"But bro-in-law, I swear, I thought I was only having sex with my own wife and seeing double from all the whiskey!"

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

blk posted:

What would you guys do?

I also vote option two. 335s can be maintenance hogs, while the NC is in a price slump and the NA has good value. I've liked the NCs I've been in (but I haven't driven one).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Since Nintendo is stopping production of the NES Classic Mini, and my order has been canceled, I had to find another belated birthday present for her.

What's this, a "Used Laser Disc" from Japan? What could it be?

Only her favorite movie ever, in a fancy-rear end Japanese cover!

I'm gonna get one of those frames for LP covers, it should fit nicely.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

spog posted:

'accidentally'

Yeah you don't have to clean it up, we know the deal

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My wife is running her first half-marathon tomorrow... it looks like it's going to be pouring the whole time. :(

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

KozmoNaut posted:

Since Nintendo is stopping production of the NES Classic Mini, and my order has been canceled, I had to find another belated birthday present for her.

What's this, a "Used Laser Disc" from Japan? What could it be?

Only her favorite movie ever, in a fancy-rear end Japanese cover!

I'm gonna get one of those frames for LP covers, it should fit nicely.

You and your partner are cool people.

Option 3 is build a mini nes/every other console with a raspberry pi and retropie

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
2nd'ing build a MAME Arcade out of a Raspberry Pi

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

freelop posted:

You and your partner are cool people.

Option 3 is build a mini nes/every other console with a raspberry pi and retropie

It's for my sister, actually.

And she's currently borrowing my RetroPie box, because the NES Classic was delayed.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

KozmoNaut posted:

And she's currently borrowing my RetroPie box, because the NES Classic was delayed.

You and your sister are good people then

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Seminal Flu posted:

My wife is running her first half-marathon tomorrow... it looks like it's going to be pouring the whole time. :(

Free cooling!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
running in the rain is good but i can see it sucking if you're running for 2 hours straight

blk do option #3, 997's are so excellent

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

drat, that's a lot of water! She's gonna need to take refuge in a boat after that marathon.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Two of my coworkers tried to chicken race a timber truck, so now one of them is kept sedated in the ICU for the time being after a helicopter ride and two operations.

This month was also bonus month, and I had an effective tax rate of 48% overall, so I guess my money goes to rebuilding my coworker. :v:

(Maximum out of pocket per year is about $100 in Sweden, besides the taxes.)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rhyno posted:

We've started our wedding planning. She wants a sort of regular wedding so we're looking for a venue where we can get married and go right to the reception. Looking for affordable places and found a few options so far. And it looks like my parents are each going to give us a chunk of money for this so it won't be a massive financial burden. Aiming for 100-150 guests, buffet catering and cheap rear end beer and wine.

I can't even put into words how wonderful I feel when I see how happy this has made her. I wish I'd had my poo poo together years ago.

That's basically how my wedding wound up working. I wanted small but our families wanted big and were willing to pony up cash. We went along with it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Thank gently caress I booked off vacation months ago and have the next two weeks off.

Got emotionally burnt out from the stress at work a few days ago, went to the head of HR about it even. I've talked about it a lot on slack, but basically I've been miserable over being kept in the dark about my job's stability, and I've gone from 285 to 200lbs since at least December (possibly Sept, when I was promoted, but I didn't really notice the weight loss until the past couple months) due to that and stress over the lack of respect a number of my coworkers show for the work I do to support their production. I might have an out though, that results in a lateral move along with a normal 40 hour work week instead of 12 hour day/night continental rotation bullshit that has been my life for the last two and a half years.

Now to spend a couple days decompressing and getting my house back to some semblance of order, and with the nice big deposit the CRA should be making into my bank account soon, work on the FJ can resume with the warming weather. I'm feelin' better already and things are looking up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Fermented Tinal posted:

Thank gently caress I booked off vacation months ago and have the next two weeks off.

Got emotionally burnt out from the stress at work a few days ago, went to the head of HR about it even. I've talked about it a lot on slack, but basically I've been miserable over being kept in the dark about my job's stability, and I've gone from 285 to 200lbs since at least December (possibly Sept, when I was promoted, but I didn't really notice the weight loss until the past couple months) due to that and stress over the lack of respect a number of my coworkers show for the work I do to support their production. I might have an out though, that results in a lateral move along with a normal 40 hour work week instead of 12 hour day/night continental rotation bullshit that has been my life for the last two and a half years.

Now to spend a couple days decompressing and getting my house back to some semblance of order, and with the nice big deposit the CRA should be making into my bank account soon, work on the FJ can resume with the warming weather. I'm feelin' better already and things are looking up.

Enjoy your time off. I just took a long weekend after being incredibly stressed out the last few weeks. I needed it. Had a great trip to Charlottesville with the wife.

So the home inspector showed up today for the inspection. He and the buyer were there like 20 minutes early, and I ran into them on my way out of the house.
It was sort of awkward. We both had this "uhhh you're not supposed to be here" reaction.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Two of my coworkers tried to chicken race a timber truck, so now one of them is kept sedated in the ICU for the time being after a helicopter ride and two operations.

How do you play chicken with one vehicle? And by timber truck do you mean a tractor/trailer? Jesus.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

KozmoNaut posted:

Just print this case for your Pi - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1887826 . better than a NES classic

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Applebees Appetizer posted:

How do you play chicken with one vehicle? And by timber truck do you mean a tractor/trailer? Jesus.

You don't, they where on the way home in a Volvo V70, and somehow they spun out and ended up taking on a truck with the drivers side. One of these.

Max allowed weight 64 metric tons, and they're ALWAYS loaded to capacity (and more).

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

You Am I posted:

Get rid of those cheap arse plastic hub caps and steelies

I did! The summer tires have proper rims on them.

Question: this car doesn't come with a spare or a jack or anything. Is getting a bottle my only option?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Oldsmobile posted:

I did! The summer tires have proper rims on them.

Question: this car doesn't come with a spare or a jack or anything. Is getting a bottle my only option?

Nah, you can buy those scissor jacks from Harbor-Freight for not a whole lot.

edit: Totally missed the point of the "bottle" thing.

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 28, 2017

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Will a bottle really fix a flat? I mean does it have enough pressure to lift up a car with a completely flat tire?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why not buy a spacesaver and jack to go in it?

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

There's really no room for that. The battery is where the spare would be under the trunk rug and that's it. The trunk is also very small and I have poo poo to lug around.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Oldsmobile posted:

There's really no room for that. The battery is where the spare would be under the trunk rug and that's it. The trunk is also very small and I have poo poo to lug around.

Doesn't that come with runflat tyres?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82dB4XfUc-o

Consumer Reports finds that Fix-a-flat type products work for small punctures, not so great for larger punctures. You might be better off getting one of those sealer/compressor jobbies.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmm. Well, allowing for the fact the tyre fitter who does the permanent fix will likely hate you, I'd get a bottle of goo or aerosal thing, and a basic 12v pump.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I understand that if you lead with a warning and an apology, they might not show you open contempt.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Safety Dance posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82dB4XfUc-o

Consumer Reports finds that Fix-a-flat type products work for small punctures, not so great for larger punctures. You might be better off getting one of those sealer/compressor jobbies.

Don't those make the inside of the tire all gross? I mean, it's better than not going anywhere, but will any place actually plug a tire you used sealant on? Or will they all be "you used sealant, you have to buy a new one now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Doesn't that come with runflat tyres?
I think he's intending to change them (and quite right, too, gently caress runflats).

• Locked thread