Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Guinness posted:

How about a guy that is going to end up paying $33k for a Kia Rio:

Holy Lord, that's worse than most credit card rates. Sell sell sell!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Devian666 posted:

It didn't have either of those at 33. I had started a company instead, and then worried about house/retirement. Best thing is you can sort out you finances and savings rate at any point in your life. Obviously if you start earlier the benefits are larger but any improvements you make now will help your future self a lot.

So long as it's possible. I don't think it helps that SA is a hive for techy/smart people who earn decent money.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Guinness posted:

As a man who owns one, I sincerely hope that Kia used better rubber seals than they did with the '08 model, considering said seals are perished and cracked.

I've had Japanese cars from the mid-80s with moss growing on the seals, and they held up fine.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

19 o'clock posted:

So long as it's possible. I don't think it helps that SA is a hive for techy/smart people who earn decent money.

SA is pretty split on that i feel. you have the people with decent jobs of course, but then you have the people (even in this thread) who think that a $100k salary is really high.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Guinness posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/67yqzj/purchased_first_car_big_mistake_how_can_i_fix_this/

That's on par with the goon who paid $40k for a Nissan Altima.

"Needs" a bigger daily driver for work because of a growing family, despite already having an SUV. I am shocked to find that this person is BWM.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

BWM and BWL: spend your 20s pursuing a college degree when college is not right for you (and the depression doesn't help), rack up a fuckload of loans, then eventually drop out for good,. Now I'm stuck, at 32, in a minimum wage job washing literally lovely clothes at a nursing home, slowly building up my emergency fund while I live with my parents and paying basically everything except rent and utilities.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

ohgodwhat posted:

"Needs" a bigger daily driver for work because of a growing family, despite already having an SUV. I am shocked to find that this person is BWM.

I recently went to check out an apartment with a local real estate dude. It was raining so he offered to drive us there. The office's runabout was this tiny 4-seater Daihatsu with a 600cc engine.

It was comfortable (and I'm 194 cm), had car navigation and air conditioning, auto transmission, and enough space behind the rear seats to throw a few bags in. Probably also does 800 km on a single tank. Oh, there was also an aux port on the sound system.

If I ever need a daily driver, I'm getting a little matchbox car like that because holy gently caress what more do you need and how much less can you spend

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Weatherman posted:

I recently went to check out an apartment with a local real estate dude. It was raining so he offered to drive us there. The office's runabout was this tiny 4-seater Daihatsu with a 600cc engine.

It was comfortable (and I'm 194 cm), had car navigation and air conditioning, auto transmission, and enough space behind the rear seats to throw a few bags in. Probably also does 800 km on a single tank. Oh, there was also an aux port on the sound system.

If I ever need a daily driver, I'm getting a little matchbox car like that because holy gently caress what more do you need and how much less can you spend

You realise the reason for the SUV fad is simply Freudian overcompensation (mine's bigger than yours :pervert:), rather than for practical reasons?

We somehow made it through a century with only the military and rural offroaders needing a 4X4, until about 15 years ago.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Zo posted:

SA is pretty split on that i feel. you have the people with decent jobs of course, but then you have the people (even in this thread) who think that a $100k salary is really high.

Now don't start that again!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

19 o'clock posted:

This thread is really entertaining to me but also saddens me that I am still "getting by" at 33 and don't have any retirement savings yet or own a house.

I've been annoyed at myself for this. Now I'm really annoyed at myself.

don't be annoyed at yourself! be annoyed at capitalism! :)

(I'm serious: when working people get poo poo on, that's not a "mistake" or a "failing" of capitalism - that's the way capitalism works at heart.)

(this thread is always a really good read for fuelling my "full communism now" work.)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 28, 2017

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

taiyoko posted:

BWM and BWL: spend your 20s pursuing a college degree when college is not right for you (and the depression doesn't help), rack up a fuckload of loans, then eventually drop out for good,. Now I'm stuck, at 32, in a minimum wage job washing literally lovely clothes at a nursing home, slowly building up my emergency fund while I live with my parents and paying basically everything except rent and utilities.

Here's to working and hanging on by a thread!

Seriously, I hope things get better for you. Let's not derail, but let's take a little comfort in solidarity.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

don't be annoyed at yourself! be annoyed at capitalism! :)

Aye, Comrade!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

19 o'clock posted:

Aye, Comrade!

When I worked in high finance, I got called a communist for suggesting we not let people starve to death on the streets.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

baquerd posted:

When I worked in high finance, I got called a communist for suggesting we not let people starve to death on the streets.

I'd prefer them to starve to death in the gulag.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I'd prefer them to starve to death in the gulag.

Agreed. Letting people die in the street is a public health hazard. Next thing you know the janitorial staff all have cholera or something. That's just unpleasant.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

I had a co-worker who had a 120 mile round trip commute with a truck that got 15 miles to the gallon. He did the math and realized he could buy a cheap Honda Civic and save money each month in gas.

He instead bought a Mazda sports car with expensive tires that needed replacement every 15k miles or so. I think the Mazda got 20 miles to the gallon. He literally found something more expensive to drive.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Weatherman posted:

*660cc

I took a friend's Move on a roadtrip with my partner a few years ago, it's more like 450-500/tank tops (highway k's). Smaller tank though, I think ~40-45Ls or so? I wouldn't want to crash in one or have to drive it more than 80-90kph, but for Japan they're very well-suited.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

19 o'clock posted:

This thread is really entertaining to me but also saddens me that I am still "getting by" at 33 and don't have any retirement savings yet or own a house.

I've been annoyed at myself for this. Now I'm really annoyed at myself.

Not owning a house means you don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and an "asset" that will suddenly lose 40% of its value the next time the market decides to correct so if you wind up in a situation where you need to move (say, for work, since the market corrected) you won't be shackled to a boat anchor. Get a house because you have a specific use for a house, not because you think you have to to be an adult.

Work on the retirement savings though, you're still starting earlier than a lot of people if you start now :v:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Sic Semper Goon posted:

You realise the reason for the SUV fad is simply Freudian overcompensation (mine's bigger than yours :pervert:), rather than for practical reasons?

We somehow made it through a century with only the military and rural offroaders needing a 4X4, until about 15 years ago.

30 years ago babies and children rode on the floor so they wouldn't roll off the seat and/or facing backwards in a station wagon. You can't compare 1980's with new safety regulations.

I've got some huge car seat monstrosities that take up more room than I ever believed possible.

Take your car, whatever it is. Load it up with a kid in a car seat (remember, it's a loving massive car seat), two boys with full hockey equipment, and one boys friend with another huge bag of equipment. How's it working for you? Cramped? Does your oldest kid have to walk? I certainly don't want to keep up with the Jonses, but sometimes having a big car is a necessity.

Oh god I just added to car chat.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Volmarias posted:

I imagine that the market has to be saturated at this point.
There will always be new ways to play on the anxieties and nostalgias of first time parents. Knitted characters and printed onesies of popular shows, plushies of newly endangered animals, etc etc.

Who said that the IRS would just run my check again? Ding ding ding, you're the winner! I'm so relieved that my BWM stupidity is common enough that I wasn't even penalized for it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Spermy Smurf posted:

30 years ago babies and children rode on the floor so they wouldn't roll off the seat and/or facing backwards in a station wagon. You can't compare 1980's with new safety regulations.

I've got some huge car seat monstrosities that take up more room than I ever believed possible.

Take your car, whatever it is. Load it up with a kid in a car seat (remember, it's a loving massive car seat), two boys with full hockey equipment, and one boys friend with another huge bag of equipment. How's it working for you? Cramped? Does your oldest kid have to walk? I certainly don't want to keep up with the Jonses, but sometimes having a big car is a necessity.

Oh god I just added to car chat.

I don't think anyone's going to blame you for having a minivan if you're transporting half of the hockey team around several times a week, but everyone with enough money is buying their kid an SUV these days for safety reasons, and now there's some sort of a safety arms race going on.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't think anyone's going to blame you for having a minivan if you're transporting half of the hockey team around several times a week, but everyone with enough money is buying their kid an SUV these days for safety reasons, and now there's some sort of a safety arms race going on.

If you have two kids in rear facing seats you might be pushed closer to the steering wheel than you want in a compact or midsized sedan. Also if you like to travel and have kids and luggage and a dog you might need the extra space. I wish they still made big wagons but since they don't a van or an suv is your next best option.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/681ids/me_25_f_with_my_husband_28_m_i_just_found_out_he/

quote:

Me [25 F] with my husband [28 M], I just found out he has given all of our savings to twitch streamers. We are flat broke, and bills are passed due.

We have been married 2 years and we have a 6m old daughter. I think the marriage is pretty typical, ups and downs. I quit my job to stay at home with my daughter, so he is the primary income earner. He also handles all the finances. All of our accounts are joint, but until now I have never felt a need to watch them closely.

The amount of time he spends on Twitch has always been an issue in our marriage. Whenever I get him to cut back, he slowly eases back into it. I never imagined it would get to this.

Anyways:

So yesterday morning I went grocery shopping. When it came time to check out my card was declined. I called the bank, turns out the checking account is empty. Weird I thought, that has never happened before, okay, can you transfer over some from savings?

Nope, that's empty too. I was just completely dumbfounded, there was 38k in that account. We were going to use it on a house. To keep this short I dug through our account history to figure out what the gently caress is going on(obviously). Almost all of it went to twitch or streamlabs. Some transactions were as high as $1000. One day in particular he gave away 4500(Edit: I felt the need to clarify that it was 4500 in one day total, not one donation, not that it loving matters).

Further sleuthing revealed our rent is passed due.

I confronted him by phone and he got extremely defensive and angry. He said that it was his money anyways. Except it's not... I helped build the savings when I was working. Once I quit it kind of leveled off. The call ended in a hang up.

He didn't come from work and I haven't heard from him since. I don't know what the gently caress he could be doing seeing that we are broke.

I am posting this because I can't sleep anyways. I just don't know what to do. I'm scared and alone.

TL;DR - My husband gave away all of our savings to twitch streamers. Our rent is passed due. Since confronting him, which didn't go well, I haven't seen or heard from him. Advice?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

therobit posted:

If you have two kids in rear facing seats you might be pushed closer to the steering wheel than you want in a compact or midsized sedan. Also if you like to travel and have kids and luggage and a dog you might need the extra space. I wish they still made big wagons but since they don't a van or an suv is your next best option.

Yeah, that was the scenario I was explicitly condoning...

It's the college kids with SUVs and suburbanites with F-150s that don't make any sense to me.

e: Oh, maybe it was unclear when I said "buying their kid an SUV." I mean 18-year-old new drivers with SUVs so they'll be safer in an accident (that they will likely be the cause of).

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 28, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Oh man, that swung right out into painful, I can't imagine being a stay-at-home parent with a 6 month old baby and finding out that your family's provider just poo poo the bed so completely. :( I wonder if he's going to just never come back or turn up in a river. Hopefully she has family she can fall back on while she files for divorce.

Another vote for 'don't have just one person checking the accounts monthly', I guess.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
the sick thing is that *some* of the streamers would probably refund those donations if they knew the situation.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I figured most of the people that donated $1k to Twitch streamers were just bored engineers or developers with nothing better to spend their money on. I guess the desire to feel good and rich to randos on the internet is pretty strong for some people.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Twitch is just for streaming video games right? Or do people use it for video sob stories asking for donations too?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Inept posted:

I figured most of the people that donated $1k to Twitch streamers were just bored engineers or developers with nothing better to spend their money on. I guess the desire to feel good and rich to randos on the internet is pretty strong for some people.

I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of that money went to female streamers too in an effort to buy attention. That explains the dollar amount and why he shut down and disappeared when it was found out.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
lol that story has nothing to do with her watching the bank accounts. if you didn't trust your partner even that much you shouldn't be married in the first place

plus if she watched the accounts and dragged out her doomed marriage to that sadbrained manchild for several more years, she would actually be in a far worse position than getting a clean divorce now

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Isn't twitch just people watching people play video games? What's with these people donating all their money? What's the benefit?

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

I feel like that would be a good metric for when the guillotines come out
I would like to volunteer for the guillotine. :black101: :)

I have over 4 times my annual (2016) post-tax salary, held in my (diversified and passive) equity portfolio, with no debt (student loan or otherwise) and I am 30. Then again, I lead a miserable existence. :(

John Smith fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 28, 2017

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Isn't twitch just people watching people play video games? What's with these people donating all their money? What's the benefit?

you'll get thanked by the person playing, your name appears on the screen, you appear rich (stupid & irresponsible) by everyone else in chat watching.

edit: and SUPPORTING the person playing and their lofty goal of playing games for a living

Good Parmesan fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 28, 2017

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

cowofwar posted:

Yeah, I don't get it? Why would anyone give them money?

^^ Still don't get it. Idiots I guess

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

In their minds, I guess it's their way of showing gratitude/paying for the entertainment they get from the person/personality playing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Let me explain for those of you who are confused: some Twitch streamers have boobs.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Still don't be a clown and regularly monitor the resources that you depend on for food, shelter, etc

Even if you super trust your one true love, multiple eyes on your bank account is never a bad thing. There's also fraud, unexpected charges, bank errors (never in your favor), and a myraid of other problems.

Also it takes 30 seconds to log in so yep

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

Often you can send a custom message with donations, and I've seen plenty of people donate strings of hundreds of dollars just to have their message/insult read just because it's being seen live to an audience of 10,000+ etc.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lol all that money and it wasn't even going to camwhores? it would be funnier if he wasn't leaving his wife and child hung out to dry

:murder:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Good Parmesan posted:

In their minds, I guess it's their way of showing gratitude/paying for the entertainment they get from the person/personality playing.

That's it, mostly. Person provides you some entertainment (or tips/tricks to get better), it's not that irrational to throw them a few bones. Never done it myself but I get it.

However, draining your entire life savings to do so, nuclear BWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
Ok, I'm going to ask y'all to help me avoid or convince me to be super BWM.

Situation: I'm half of a 100k+ gross income/70k net couple. We plan on one or two vacations a year. I have gotten a taste of flying first class and want it all the time for flights longer than two hours. Have you all made the jump to primarily being a first class flier? Do you only go for the upgrade if it's affordable or have you decided I don't do coach anymore? When did you decide you could afford it?

Complicating things is that we may have a baby soon and while she is under two goes as a lap baby. Is a first class upgrade worth it when you've got to hold on to a baby for five-six hours? Am I going to have to buy two because there is no way in hell my wife will let me sit in first class while she's in coach or do we have some poor arrangement like you get first class on the way up and I get it on the way back?

A July cross country trip with a new baby is in the plans and I am severely tempted to use my miles for that first class upgrade instead of the overseas trip we are planning in a couple years.

• Locked thread