Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

three posted:

There is an interesting correlation between people that hate Cam but are happy about the McCaffrey pick.

Full on roll reversal with a black QB and white RB. We truly are the most progressive state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i hold no ill will towards kansas city, but as a bills fan, i hope the chiefs implode in spectacular, "homer-at-the-bat" fashion minus the game-winning run being scored off of homer's noggin

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Serious pick or comedy pick?

I don't know if it's because they've spent the last several years watching Alex Smith behind center, but Chiefs fans unironically are into the Mahomes pick. I guess I've made my feelings known on him, so I'll just say I'm ecstatic about the Bills' haul.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Bigass Moth posted:

Should I be excited about the TE the Browns drafted? Know nothing about this guy.

I read he makes an effort in blocking so he tries and may help in RED ZONE situations but he skips leg day. And he isn't OJ Howard which is disappointing.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

DariusLikewise posted:

I was hoping Reuben Foster or Evan Engram would drop to 37 for the Rams to take, long shot on either though. Getting one of Kelvin King, Lamp or Cam Robinson would be nice though, unless there's another tall possession type receiver that would be worth taking at the top of the 2nd.

JuJu Smith-Schuster fits that description. Unless his back is ruined, which it may well be.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What's everyones favorite pick from last night, mine is Chiefs taking Mahomes

I liked that a lot too. Chiefs draft the anti-Alex Smith after not taking a 1st round qb in 34 years.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

three posted:

There is an interesting correlation between people that hate Cam but are happy about the McCaffrey pick.

McCaffrey jerseys are going to give Kuechly jerseys a run for their money.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

Full on roll reversal with a black QB and white RB. We truly are the most progressive state.

But if you pee in the wrong room so help me god

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I have to admit I'm actually pretty excited to see McCaffery in the NFL.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Yinzers are hella mad that the Steelers passed on Foster. I mean furious. I don't understand why the he'll you'd want a Lawrence Timmons clone in this post AFCCG curbstomping era. Even without the drug issues, and hosed shoulders, he isn't good enough in coverage to run anything but zone, and well, they simply don't need another guy in that mold. He's not Reddick or Jarrad Davis, and those guys are the future, not the past.

Just wanna send a few special shootouts to Miami, Cleveland and Atlanta for saving the Steelers from themselves and taking the guy with a low SPARQ score, the positionless DB, and the guy who is only fast in a straight line respectively.

Top of the list of thank yous goes out to Green Bay for trading back and allowing yet another unexpected baller to fall into the Steelers' lap. Y'all are the best

D-LINK fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 28, 2017

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FizFashizzle posted:

But if you pee in the wrong room so help me god

North Carolina.

Come on.

And.

Raise.

Up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I crave every draft grade article you got

Except for Pete Prisco, comeon now.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706180-nfl-draft-2017-round-1-grades-for-every-pick

quote:

12. Deshaun Watson

Mike Tanier's Devastatingly Accurate Quarterback Comparison: Somewhere between Andy Bridgecousins and Kirk Daltwater.

Ask a hardcore draftnik about quarterback prospects and you will hear about velocity, ball placement, release platform, dropping from center and the dangers of converting to the NFL from an Air Raid offense.

Ask an offensive coordinator about quarterback prospects and you will hear about reliability, leadership, courage, work habits and the kind of virtues more associated with the perfect bank manager or your niece's ideal fiance than an NFL player.

The draftniks care about intangibles, of course, though they often back-burner them. And when they wax philosophical about gumption, the coordinators are sometimes just dumbing football down into a morality play for us cabbages who never played the game.

But there is still a disconnect between the priorities. Draftniks worry that the prospect will never learn to reset his feet when he throws away from his body. Coaches worry that he'll show up for a film session with bloodshot eyes or pee his pants the first time he faces an NFL blitz.

This all brings us back to Deshaun Watson, a solid-but-limited passer who achieved great things in a mostly scripted system. Watson looks like Andy Dalton when executing shotgun play fakes and launching back-shoulder throws toward the zip code of Mike Williams (his version of A.J. Green). He looks like Kirk Cousins when the Clemson pocket is spotless and he can scan the field before delivering the ball to his playmakers.

When the pocket breaks down or Watson starts rushing things, well, that's when the weird decisions and ugly throws happen.

Draftniks see Dalton-Cousins upside and point to all of the playoff wins Dalton and Cousins have produced (zero), partially because their limitations become their team's limitations. Coordinators see a guy who has been to two national championship games, understands the media rigmarole, knows about big-game preparations, kept his team in the game under the toughest circumstances, and on and on.

Bill O'Brien likely sees a true prospect who can both lead the team to some 11- 12-win seasons right away in AFC Southlandia (this team regularly wins nine games with bean dip at quarterback, remember) and a chance to prove he is the quarterback guru he was advertised to be when he transformed Tom Brady from a Hall of Famer to a slightly better Hall of Famer.

Grade: B+

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Bears: F-

Would fire front office again

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Oh poo poo lol I just remembered how hard the Bears got played. Jesus.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
lol there's people on the Bucs message board pissed they took OJ Howard when Cook was available. So much so that the site wrote an article about it. I won't copy the whole thing here but this part is a GEM:

quote:

Before delving into the possible answers to that question, it should be pointed out that at no time did PewterReport.com project the Florida State runner to Tampa Bay. Cook wasn’t in any of our five Bucs’ 7-Round Mock Drafts, nor was he featured in our Bucs’ Best Bets at the running back position. To be clear, our staff liked Cook the player, but felt there was something to the reports that he hangs out with the wrong crowd because it was such a strong narrative leading up to the draft.

https://www.pewterreport.com/1005078-2/

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The reporting was that Doug Martin has looked really good in offseason training or something? And that's why they didn't do it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

The reporting was that Doug Martin has looked really good in offseason training or something? And that's why they didn't do it.

It should have been one line and said "You don't take cook when OJ Howard is on the board you idiots".

Yes you could change OJ Howard for several other names too.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The writing was on the wall. You must be 6'5" to be a Bucs receiving option.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh man this guy shut me down

quote:

Everyone and their brother compares MCM to Reggie Bush. And they're wrong. The best comparison is Brian Westbrook. Let's look at their combine stats:

So their heights, weights and other measurements are extremely similar with MCM slightly better at everything except moving iron off his chest.

Well what about position? They both are ridiculously versatile, can catch, run in between the tackles and return kicks.

But Cam can't throw him the short ball. Who was Westbrook's QB? McNabb. Known for accuracy? Absolutely not. Known for throwing at people's feet.

So by your logic, MCM will fail. In 2016 Brian Westbrook was nominated to the Hall of Fame. Even though Westbrook won't likely make it in, I'll take that as a career for MCM.

you see McCaffrey is not like Reggie Bush, he's like Brian Westbrook, who was nominated to the hall of fame, and the Eagles also had an inaccurate qb, therefore

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol there's people on the Bucs message board pissed they took OJ Howard when Cook was available. So much so that the site wrote an article about it. I won't copy the whole thing here but this part is a GEM:

https://www.pewterreport.com/1005078-2/

As a noted FSU homer I was thrilled to pass up on Cook for OJ. I think Cook is going to be really good and not an issue off the field but OJ will be a huge addition to the offense.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

you see McCaffrey is not like Reggie Bush, he's like Brian Westbrook, who was nominated to the hall of fame, and the Eagles also had an inaccurate qb, therefore

If you look at their mockdraftables it's funny, because they're almost opposite. Westbrook is one of the strongest running backs in the database, with average speed, while McCaffrey is a 1%'er on the bench press, but fast and elusive.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

No Butt Stuff posted:

The writing was on the wall. You must be 6'5" to be a Bucs receiving option.

You need height or insane speed when Jameis is your QB. The Bucs know exactly what they're doing and it's a weird feeling.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Let's shift away from things that make me sad (the Panthers) and talk about things that upset other people (da Bears)

https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/852020385239375872

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

strong tweet
https://twitter.com/IanKenyonNFL/status/857833149304373249

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

As a noted FSU homer I was thrilled to pass up on Cook for OJ. I think Cook is going to be really good and not an issue off the field but OJ will be a huge addition to the offense.

Alvin Kamara will be better than Dalvin Cook Sport Science told me so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqh5y9awuSA

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

If you look at their mockdraftables it's funny, because they're almost opposite. Westbrook is one of the strongest running backs in the database, with average speed, while McCaffrey is a 1%'er on the bench press, but fast and elusive.

And this doesn't really prove anything, but his comparablbes are kind of lol

Comparisons
Wendell Smallwood
HBWest Virginia, 2016
77.3%
Kenjon Barner
HBOregon, 2013
70.6%
Tyler Gaffney
HBStanford, 2014
70.5%
LaMichael James
HBOregon, 2012
69.5%
Taiwan Jones
HBEastern Washington, 2011
68.9%
Chris Rainey
HBFlorida, 2012
68.8%
John Griffin
HBMassachusetts, 2011
68.4%
Stafon Johnson
HBUSC, 2010
68.3%
Mike Goodson
HBTexas A&M, 2009
68.2%
Shawnbrey McNeal
HBSMU, 2010
68.1%

Uh...

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FizFashizzle posted:

It's not a terrible comparison. Brian Westbrook is McCaffrey's ideal ceiling. Reggie Bush is his floor. They're kind of all in the same mold. I didn't want him though because I don't have the confidence that Cam can develop into the same caliber passer that McNabb was or that Shula can rework the offense over the next two years to fit McCaffrey better. But it could work out.

I just also think we passed on a top tier CB, a free safety, a couple of good DEs/DT and a second TE.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Again, I haven't been up on draft coverage, but why are people down on Deshaun Watson? It was clear his accuracy was up and down but if you put stock in the overall body of work I get why a team would go in on him.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

waah posted:

Let's shift away from things that make me sad (the Panthers) and talk about things that upset other people (da Bears)

https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/852020385239375872

Eh, that kind of awareness can be taught. His first two years getting blind sided and strip sacked was one of Flacco's worst traits. From his 3rd year on, pocket awareness has been one of his better qualities.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

extremely strong. Jesus, I had forgotten about that Osweiler trade but it's absolutely a part of what they gave up for Watson

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
I feel like draft writers have some kind of "bad team tax" where you're obligated to spend at least one high-value pick on a questionable quarterback every two years. It's kind of fascinating to watch the same people that quote scouts saying "I don't think any of these players are first-round talents" write articles where they complain that the Browns didn't pick them in the first round.

And then they write articles saying that the team should spend a second-round pick on "guy who cannot throw the ball accurately but has the upside of maybe not making GBS threads his pants on live tv in a few years if he's developed well":

quote:

Nathan Peterman fits the bill, as he has a pro-caliber arm and a good head on his shoulders. He struggles with delivering the ball on target, but that is something the Browns will have to live with considering the lack of elite-tier quarterbacks left on the board. If Peterman can improve his accuracy, he has a shot at being a decent starter in Cleveland.

Yes, your team may still have terrible players starting at FS, CB, WR (sorry, but kenny britt isn't the solution), ILB, possibly at least one DT, possibly RT, but why would you draft one of those when you could overdraft the guy whose glowing review from a scout was "Like him. He's a Brian Hoyer."

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Imagine not drafting a guy named Taco

I for one approve of anyone named Taco.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

amaranthine posted:

I feel like draft writers have some kind of "bad team tax" where you're obligated to spend at least one high-value pick on a questionable quarterback every two years. It's kind of fascinating to watch the same people that quote scouts saying "I don't think any of these players are first-round talents" write articles where they complain that the Browns didn't pick them in the first round.

And then they write articles saying that the team should spend a second-round pick on "guy who cannot throw the ball accurately but has the upside of maybe not making GBS threads his pants on live tv in a few years if he's developed well":

Yes, your team may still have terrible players starting at FS, CB, WR (sorry, but kenny britt isn't the solution), ILB, possibly at least one DT, possibly RT, but why would you draft one of those when you could overdraft the guy whose glowing review from a scout was "Like him. He's a Brian Hoyer."

All draft reactions are dumb. A third of these guys will be good. Another third mediocre and disappointing. And the last third will be hot garbage. No one knows who falls into what group yet.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

All draft reactions are dumb. A third of these guys will be good. Another third mediocre and disappointing. And the last third will be hot garbage. No one knows who falls into what group yet.

Yeah, just follow Freezingcoldtakes if you want a ton of that stuff:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Joey Freshwater posted:

Alvin Kamara will be better than Dalvin Cook Sport Science told me so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqh5y9awuSA

I always bring this up but once I got to do a video call with a professor of exercise science from Stanford and he ripped apart sports science

its bunkum

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

quote:

You see Peppers as an invert Cover 2 Mike willbacker and hybrid moneyjoker? Fool! He is really a hook-to-flat heavy penny package Sam edgecorner

Ah now I understand.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Take it from a fan of a team that went all in on a Quarterback with no talent on offense, it's a loving dumb idea. The Browns are doing a smart thing by getting a good surrounding cast in place first and waiting for better QB prospects next year.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Quoting from the NFC North thread

quote:

But yeah, I'm at the point where who cares.

a QB is more important than some 3rd or 4th round picks. And if you think you're right on the QB then go ahead and sign your name in ink on that motherfucker, and do whatever it takes to get him.

Hell Pace loved Mariota and was trying like hell to trade up to draft him, just didn't have the reasonable ammo to do it. And Pace has generally done fairly well drafting outside of the first rounders who keep getting hurt. And legitimately I dunno how much I can blame him for that.

I'm just gonna give Pace the benefit of the doubt and then if when this blows up and he sucks we are still bad and are still drafting early then so be it. Prefer that than drafting 10-15th all the goddamn time.

---

Also do people talk about Eagles giving more actual first round value picks to move up for Wentz?

This whole thing is ridiculous. It's just going to come down to if Mitch is any drat good.

The Bears gave up some 3rd and 4th round lottery tickets for a guy they think is legit.

We'll see if he is any good, but get off the ledge. It's not like a GM failing and a QB being bad is going to be some shocker for Bears fans who have never experienced such failure before.

At least they are probably going to fail spectacularly now rather than doing the whole mediocre false hope of taking a next step thing.

Like Man. Do people still care about how much the Falcons paid to move up for Julio?

It all comes down to if it Trubisky is any good and I have my doubts but :shrug:

This team isn't going to be good barring a miracle anyway. Might as well shoot for the moon at QB rather than getting 2-3 more bench warmers or low level starters.

DariusLikewise posted:

Take it from a fan of a team that went all in on a Quarterback with no talent on offense, it's a loving dumb idea. The Browns are doing a smart thing by getting a good surrounding cast in place first and waiting for better QB prospects next year.

The Bears didn't give up anywhere near as much as the Rams did for Goff. Bears still have their first and second round picks next year.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 28, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

a new study bible! posted:

Oh poo poo lol I just remembered how hard the Bears got played. Jesus.

https://twitter.com/Rich_Campbell/status/857786416075550720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

qkkl posted:

Are teams allowed to trade players they just drafted? In my dream scenario the Browns trade Garrett for Garoppolo when they realize that next years QBs aren't good.

Yes. Philip Rivers and Eli were traded minutes after being drafted

• Locked thread