Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think the FAA stance is that flying cars are kosher so long as they meet the same requirements as other planes of comparable weight/size/propulsion. Flying cars might not be very efficient, but that's something else entirely.

That doesn't mean Uber could get away with having them work on autopilot with an undertrained pilot to make sure things go okay. And by undertrained I mean 20 hours of flight training. There's also a pesky federal prohibition against sports pilot license holders flying paying passengers.

The FAA is certainly less lenient on legalities than the average city council is. The flying car makers know this and are willing to play by the rules. Rules written after lives were lost. Uber, well, they're loving bastards who'll get people killed sooner or later. That's not counting the suicides or the spree killer who also drove for Uber.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Wheany posted:

gently caress, Juicero is going to the moon BUY BUY BUY

Check the date.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I mean, flying cars are not on the horizon but if anyone tried to "move fast and break stuff" there the FAA would definitely be all over it to the practical effect of "LOLNO". They just had to wake up to deal with the quadcopters etc. and are in that posture.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Discendo Vox posted:

Check the date.

Juicero is crashing SELL SELL SELL!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I’m surprised the FAA hasn’t said “lolno” to flying cars yet

Like the idea that flying is safer than driving is kind of a logical fallacy given that your typical underpaid airline captain already has thousands of hours under his belt and enough responsibility to not send a plane full of passengers into the ground

It was always one of the endless amusements of reading SlashDot back in the day, when they'd have of their frequent posts on flying cars. Commenters would insist against all evidence that flying cars were cheap, practical and safe and didn't need a massive investment in infrastructure and administration.

Relevant to thread topic, any safety concerns ("can you imagine people flying aircraft like they drive cars") would be hand waved away with technical solutions: autopilot, auto-rotation, parachutes etc, etc.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

outlier posted:

It was always one of the endless amusements of reading SlashDot back in the day, when they'd have of their frequent posts on flying cars. Commenters would insist against all evidence that flying cars were cheap, practical and safe and didn't need a massive investment in infrastructure and administration.

Relevant to thread topic, any safety concerns ("can you imagine people flying aircraft like they drive cars") would be hand waved away with technical solutions: autopilot, auto-rotation, parachutes etc, etc.

*drives flying car like absolute poo poo*

*stalls it out*

*bails out and watches car smash some FAA inspectors investigating other flying car crash*

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Isn't that what the help is for?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

BarbarianElephant posted:

nah, servants get slow-roasted a jus.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I’m surprised the FAA hasn’t said “lolno” to flying cars yet

Well they have and they haven't. Most flying car designs are large enough to fall into the same pilot license and airframe licensing rules as other small aircraft like your typical cheap Cessna. So you can't legally fly them without those things and if you get caught you're in huge trouble. And if you otherwise break flight rules in them then you're punished just like with a full on plane.

A few designs are small enough to qualify as ultralights and thus not require pilot licensing or airframe licensing, but those are mostly toy designs and wouldn't say, fit another person to handle some sort of taxi service.

pangstrom posted:

I mean, flying cars are not on the horizon but if anyone tried to "move fast and break stuff" there the FAA would definitely be all over it to the practical effect of "LOLNO". They just had to wake up to deal with the quadcopters etc. and are in that posture.
Flying cars have existed for over 60 years. They're just lovely and bad, and likely always will be due to the conflicting demands of design for "driveable" and "flyable".

The Taylor Aerocar of 1959 for example, which is actually FAA certified and they sold a whole 6 of them.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 27, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

BarbarianElephant posted:

No, the juice you get from squeezing them doesn't taste very good.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

duz posted:

No, the juice you get from squeezing them doesn't taste very good.

Which end are you squeezing there? :drac:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I saw a whole collection of flying cars at Udvar-Hazy a couple weeks back. What a monument to design dead ends and air industry payola that place is.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Discendo Vox posted:

I saw a whole collection of flying cars at Udvar-Hazy a couple weeks back. What a monument to design dead ends and air industry payola that place is.

Dehumanise yourself and face to SST, philistine :colbert:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

blowfish posted:

Dehumanise yourself and face to SST, philistine :colbert:

They had a whole exhibit about what a boondoggle the Concord was.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
The Moller Skycar is the pinnacle of flying car technology. Since I was a kid, they would also be featured on shows about the technology of tomorrow as being "almost ready". But it's been in development for like 50 years, and AFAIK it's mostly just a way for one guy to scam investors out of their money. He's never been able to actually get one to do more than hover unstably for 5 minutes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

They had a whole exhibit about what a boondoggle the Concord was.

But the Concord was Cool and Good and who cares that it could only land at like 3 airports in the world because otherwise it would cause shockwaves that destroyed local homes/businesses?

Actually though I really thought the Concord was neat and served a niche for people who for whatever reason really need to make a trans-Atlantic flight fast

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Slanderer posted:

The Moller Skycar is the pinnacle of flying car technology. Since I was a kid, they would also be featured on shows about the technology of tomorrow as being "almost ready". But it's been in development for like 50 years, and AFAIK it's mostly just a way for one guy to scam investors out of their money. He's never been able to actually get one to do more than hover unstably for 5 minutes.
Eh the thing with the Moller Skycar is he REALLY wants the vertical take off and landing thing, which would be nice for a flying car to have so you can use way more roads for taking off and landing (vehicles like the Taylor Aerocar instead need a reasonably large clear and straight length of road for taking off and landing, with proper runways really preferred for safety).

The trouble is, VTOL is hard enough when you've got a nice big fihgter jet to mount all your stuff and carry fuel, a flying car needs to be rather compact cuz it's gotta fit in normal road lanes. So he's spending all this time desperately trying to make VTOL work when the basic design is airworthy and could be used for a normal take off and landing plane/car thing.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I love that flying cars are still the gold standard of literal pie in the sky technology fantasy.
Juicero's advertising would be like if Campbells came out with a 100 dollar can opener with the line "Lets you create hundreds of delicious soups, when you want it!".

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/jfruh/status/857720275688767488

Oh come the gently caress on

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
wouldn't VTOL cars be a total nightmare because of downdraft exhaust of superheated fuels? like they wouldn't be able to take off anywhere, they'd still need to go to like a helipad (that can also withstand being blasted by jetfuel constantly). plus they couldn't just fly anywhere, they'd have to be way up in the sky where the exhaust would be harmless and then land at designated pads and then drive to where you're going anyway.

like, if you're rich enough to have one of these, just get a helicopter or a private plane. seems to be equally effective

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Flying cars are literally helicopters and I don't understand the functional difference

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Not a Children posted:

Flying cars are literally helicopters and I don't understand the functional difference

I think the main difference is shape and that everyone's idea of a flying car is probably quieter than a helicopter.

That's about it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Not a Children posted:

flying car is a helicopter with all the downsides engineered away, somehow

same as a food pill

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Not a Children posted:

A flying car needs to be capable of being driven a long distance, using normal roads, when you're not flying it. So, it needs to at least fit within the sot of size constraints of a box truck or something, ideally fitting within the size constraints of a normal long wheelbase car if you can manage it.

A helicopter really doesn't fit that, usually.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There actually are cars that have helicopter bits. Or helicopter bits attached to a car body. But I can't imagine they're more efficient than purpose-built cars or helicopters.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I understand -- correct me if I'm wrong -- that it's much harder to fly a helicopter than a plane, because you can't look away. Planes want to glide, helicopters want to fall. Would a flying car that's not wing-based have the same problems?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I understand -- correct me if I'm wrong -- that it's much harder to fly a helicopter than a plane, because you can't look away. Planes want to glide, helicopters want to fall. Would a flying car that's not wing-based have the same problems?

It's more that it's harder to fly than a plane because doing anything besides going straight up and down is a lot more complicated than a plane's controls. That's just a factor of how most helicopter designs require you to use the main rotors both for maintaining height and generating forward/backward speed.

However it's also relatively easier to "safely" take off or land a helicopter than it is to do so with a plane, so it's a wash overall. You've still gotta pay a lot of attention to what you're doing in either craft, if you're not flying in clear airspace on a nice autopilot path.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arsenic Lupin posted:

not necessarily harder, it's just that helicopters have a worse failure state

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

boner confessor posted:

not necessarily harder, it's just that helicopters have a worse failure state

Eh, helicopters are a lot more complex. Landing a plane is precise, but takeoff and flight in a plane is easy for a child to do because they more or less fly themselves.

This doesn't apply for military aircraft, but civilian aviation is easy, just super expensive.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

fishmech posted:

Well they have and they haven't. Most flying car designs are large enough to fall into the same pilot license and airframe licensing rules as other small aircraft like your typical cheap Cessna. So you can't legally fly them without those things and if you get caught you're in huge trouble. And if you otherwise break flight rules in them then you're punished just like with a full on plane.

A few designs are small enough to qualify as ultralights and thus not require pilot licensing or airframe licensing, but those are mostly toy designs and wouldn't say, fit another person to handle some sort of taxi service.

Flying cars have existed for over 60 years. They're just lovely and bad, and likely always will be due to the conflicting demands of design for "driveable" and "flyable".

The Taylor Aerocar of 1959 for example, which is actually FAA certified and they sold a whole 6 of them.

Hey the Museum of Flight!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The main difference between planes and helicopters is that planes will carry on flying if you don't provide input, while helicopters are vengeful mechanical beasts who are only capable of deriving joy from destroying themselves and taking at least one meatbag to hell with them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Well obviously you could make the wings much smaller if you take advantage of the powered wheels to provide a treadmill-like effect.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

MikeCrotch posted:

The main difference between planes and helicopters is that planes will carry on flying if you don't provide input, while helicopters are vengeful mechanical beasts who are only capable of deriving joy from destroying themselves and taking at least one meatbag to hell with them.

Right, helicopters are a lot harder because they don't self stabilize like typical small planes. A lot of practice needs to go into just maintaining level flight and balance and that goes for just hovering. The controls are complex the rotor cyclic control (balance), rotation, blade pitch and throttle which all need to be juggled simultaneously and interact with each other.

Of course some of this could be automated but they're just far more complex to begin with.

Though many people don't know - helicopters can in fact glide in a controlled fashion to a non-death landing if they lose the engine but again it's a tricky maneuver to manage (auto-gyration).

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

asdf32 posted:

it's a tricky maneuver to manage (auto-gyration).

That's what she said.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How about a car that doesn't kill a million people in the millenia after you drive it?

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

https://technical.ly/brooklyn/2017/04/27/reefill-water-startup-plastic-waste/?utm_content=buffer58d73

quote:

For the price of one bottle of water, you could get a month’s worth of filtered water and not contribute to any plastic waste. That’s the idea of Reefill, a new, Brooklyn-based startup that’s trying to build a grid of filtered water stations around the city.

Centrally distributed drinking water? What a novel idea, I wonder why no one has thought of this before :rolleyes:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Timespy posted:

https://technical.ly/brooklyn/2017/04/27/reefill-water-startup-plastic-waste/?utm_content=buffer58d73

Centrally distributed drinking water? What a novel idea, I wonder why no one has thought of this before :rolleyes:

If you read the founders description it actually gets even nuttier, he's aware that he's just selling commercialized water fountains. What I am struggling to understand is why he's never heard of bathroom taps and the fact that they disrupt his entire business model.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Tap water doesn't disrupt poo poo. We've spent decades neglecting public water systems (see Flint) to the point that actual clean water from a privately owned fountain is seen as better.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anonumos posted:

Tap water doesn't disrupt poo poo. We've spent decades neglecting public water systems (see Flint) to the point that actual clean water from a privately owned fountain is seen as better.

Not in major cities like NYC, where they're trying to operate though? Hell, people get water bottled from NYC's taps because they think it's special for cooking or health even.

MiddleOne posted:

If you read the founders description it actually gets even nuttier, he's aware that he's just selling commercialized water fountains. What I am struggling to understand is why he's never heard of bathroom taps and the fact that they disrupt his entire business model.
Or you know, all those water fountain upgrades you see around major cities where the normal water fountain gets an explicit free water container filler added on the back:

I've been seeing these more and more in public places all up and down the east coast. No user payment or anything, they're just installing them when older water fountains break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

anonumos posted:

Plus, the amount of waste created by bottled water is incredible (between production, bottling, and distribution), not to mention the effect on aquifers supporting the bottling plants and the locales they should be serving. I see people in the grocery store buying cases of bottled water each week - out of convenience, lack of faith in city water, who knows. Yeah, his product isn't exactly novel but if he can cut down on bottled water consumption that's a good thing.

I have far fewer issues with this than, say, Plenti.