Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It's really insane to me that the dated rear end, unpopular views of septuagenarians still are such a dominant force in our society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Alter Ego posted:

He should be booed at every moment of his daily life. Someone should follow him around with a recording of fans booing him at the draft and just play it over everything he does.

Except pooping.

Anyone that age who can maintain bowel regularity should be applauded.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

fsif posted:

It's really insane to me that the dated rear end, unpopular views of septuagenarians still are such a dominant force in our society.

Hopefully our generation will be better about ransoming love and grandchildren for our parents unless they knock off their awful social views .

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

If only the bears had read this yesterday.

quote:

At UNC, he showed a quick release, plus accuracy, and was surprisingly slippery in the pocket. Poor pocket awareness from edge rushers, how he sometimes panics under pressure, and limited experience are his biggest weaknesses.

Overall, Trubisky has some high level traits that could make him a franchise quarterback. However, there are definitely some red flags and this is why I gave him an early-second round grade.

http://nflbreakdowns.com/mitch-trubisky-film-video-breakdown-scouting-report-north-carolina-quarterback-nfl-draft-2017/

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I was bar crawling in Philly since the tent City ran out of beer. The bar I was in started mercilessly mocking the one Bears fan for that trade and he looked like he just lost his kids' college fund on a horse.

I had a good chat with a Browns fan who seemed like a genuinely nice and hopeful guy, the poor bastard.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
http://deadspin.com/why-did-the-bears-give-up-so-much-for-mitch-trubisky-1794738334

quote:

Nobody was more surprised at the Chicago Bears’ decision to send four draft picks to the San Francisco 49ers for the right to move up one spot and draft Mitch Trubisky than Trubisky himself. That’s because, according to Trubisky, the Bears only worked him out once, and never communicated with him in the weeks leading up to the draft.
Last night was the Bears' chance to redeem themselves and they end up out-Browns'ing the Browns. Pace is so finished after this season.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I was bar crawling in Philly since the tent City ran out of beer. The bar I was in started mercilessly mocking the one Bears fan for that trade and he looked like he just lost his kids' college fund on a horse.

I had a good chat with a Browns fan who seemed like a genuinely nice and hopeful guy, the poor bastard.

I imagine every bar in Philly looking like Patty's pub

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

I imagine every bar in Philly looking like Patty's pub

And the Always Sunny gang runs all of them.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I already love this crazy man, god damnit.

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/857979762416988169

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Oh and one last thing. We have a new Goon Overlord: Jonathan Allen.

https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/857391506474192897

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
He has an interest outside of football? Obviously he doesn't care enough about the sport. He should have slid into the fifth round. How can we be sure he'll stay in the league long enough

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think it's more likely the Niners told the Bears they weren't interested in taking Thomas and were looking to trade out of the #2 spot, which caused the Bears to panic because they thought another team would trade up to take Trubisky (and hell, there might have been an offer or two), then they traded down one spot and took Thomas anyways. It's pretty brilliant by the 49ers/dumb as poo poo by the Bears

e: Hell, I was surprised the 49ers didn't just turn around and trade the #3 pick right after

My friend and I were joking that they were going to immediately call the Jags and go "wow that leonard fournette guy! Pretty great guy! We're pretty happy we'll be calling him a San Francisco 49er soon!" because the Jags taking Fournette was so transparent

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

waah posted:

Oh and one last thing. We have a new Goon Overlord: Jonathan Allen.

https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/857391506474192897

A gaming PC.

There, saved everyone a click.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Eli Wiggum posted:

Last night was the Bears' chance to redeem themselves and they end up out-Browns'ing the Browns. Pace is so finished after this season.

I was watching with my brother-in-law, who is a lifelong die hard Bears fan, and as soon as we saw the Bears logo and the trade graphic I yelled TRUBISKY (half joking) and he got this real panicked look on his face. When Goodell said the word, he let out a gently caress that echoed through the mountains of Arizona. The only thing funnier was what they gave up for him. I'm still in shock.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

whypick1 posted:

A gaming PC.

There, saved everyone a click.

So that he can play total war. Duh.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think it's more likely the Niners told the Bears they weren't interested in taking Thomas and were looking to trade out of the #2 spot, which caused the Bears to panic because they thought another team would trade up to take Trubisky (and hell, there might have been an offer or two), then they traded down one spot and took Thomas anyways. It's pretty brilliant by the 49ers/dumb as poo poo by the Bears

e: Hell, I was surprised the 49ers didn't just turn around and trade the #3 pick right after

The Bears were getting calls about moving up. I mean 3 teams traded up for QB's this year. There were clearly calls being made about moving up for QB's. I don't think they gave up all that much.

They gave up 3 picks. a third, a 4th(they have another 4th this year), and next years third.

They gave up about the value of the difference between the 3rd and the second pick in the draft, according to whatever those value of a draft pick for trade charts thing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Dexo posted:

The Bears were getting calls about moving up. I mean 3 teams traded up for QB's this year. There were clearly calls being made about moving up for QB's. I don't think they gave up all that much.

They gave up 3 picks. a third, a 4th(they have another 4th this year), and next years third.

They gave up about the value of the difference between the 3rd and the second pick in the draft, according to whatever those value of a draft pick for trade charts thing.

The value difference works out about even on the Jimmy Johnson trade chart, sure. But by more modern evaluation methods (read: Made in the post-salary cap era and more recently than 25 years ago), it's a bad deal for the Bears
https://twitter.com/bburkeESPN/status/857756396997279749
https://twitter.com/bburkeESPN/status/857757519778861058
https://twitter.com/bburkeESPN/status/857757787912384512

e: Also it seems like you're implying that having 2 4ths this year somehow makes each one less valuable

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 28, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The value difference works out about even on the Jimmy Johnson trade chart, sure. But by more modern evaluation methods (read: Made in the post-salary cap era and more recently than 25 years ago), it's a bad deal for the Bears
https://twitter.com/bburkeESPN/status/857756396997279749
https://twitter.com/bburkeESPN/status/857757519778861058
https://twitter.com/bburkeESPN/status/857757787912384512

And guess what. If Mitch works out then none of that matters. If he sucks then he sucks. and all you lose is a bad GM/Coach and 3 lottery tickets.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Bears fans reaction's to the pick. LMAO at the dude with the baby.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/19261182

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, the 9ers weren't going to take TRUBISKY, what is Chicago's fuckin' problem?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Chilichimp posted:

Jesus Christ, the 9ers weren't going to take TRUBISKY, what is Chicago's fuckin' problem?

The Bears weren't worried about the Niners. They were worried about other teams looking for QB's trading up for him.

Mostly after all my years of being a fan of the NFL and reading coverage. I've learned that no one knows jack poo poo. Looking back on past draft rankings is hilarious.

OH MY GOD THE BROWNS GOT TRENT RICHARDSON AAAAAND BRANDON WEEDEN THEY GET AN A+++++.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 28, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dexo posted:

The Bears weren't worried about the Niners. They were worried about other teams looking for QB's trading up for him.

Mostly after all my years of being in the NFL. I've learned that no one knows jack poo poo. Looking back on past draft rankings is hilarious.

OH MY GOD THE BROWNS GOT TRENT RICHARDSON AAAAAND BRANDON WEEDEN THEY GET AN A+++++.

Pretty sure Weed was an instant joke, but your general point is valid.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

sean10mm posted:

Pretty sure Weed was an instant joke, but your general point is valid.

For real, THE FALCONS GAVE UP WHAT FOR JULIO JONES?!?!?!?!?!

All signs, at this point, indicate "not enough"

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Dexo posted:

Mostly after all my years of being a fan of the NFL and reading coverage. I've learned that no one knows jack poo poo. Looking back on past draft rankings is hilarious.

Lol

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
All I'm seeing is a Bears fan on tilt from a patented John Lynch Bamboozle (TM)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Chilichimp posted:

Falcons won that one.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
The 49ers did one good thing in the past 5 years, and they will still be bad for a long time. But the Bears made the worst draft trade I have ever seen, and it's funny to watch this guy pretend it's good

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

The 49ers did one good thing in the past 5 years, and they will still be bad for a long time. But the Bears made the worst draft trade I have ever seen, and it's funny to watch this guy pretend it's good

Oh I don't know if it's good or bad. It's extremely likely this will blow up in their face and get everyone fired. But I appreciate the boldness after years of not drafting QB's and being mediocre to bad at the position.

And holy loving poo poo my dude. Is this your first year watching the NFL?

Because literally last year there was a worse trade.

The Bears didn't mortgage their entire future, and chance at top flight talent. They took a flyer with 3 picks in the mid round. Other teams have been outchea giving up future first and second round picks.

Texans had two trades that when combined this year are loving hilarious.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 28, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

Oh I don't know if it's good or bad. It's extremely likely this will blow up in their face and get everyone fired. But I appreciate the boldness after years of not drafting QB's and being mediocre to bad at the position.

And holy loving poo poo my dude. Is this your first year watching the NFL?

Because literally last year there was a worse trade.

The Bears didn't mortgage their entire future, and chance at top flight talent. They took a flyer with 3 picks in the mid round. Other teams have been outchea giving up future first and second round picks.

Texans had two trades that when combined this year are loving hilarious.

So is Glennon still the starter? I can see the rationale in the hail mary pick to save jobs if it works, but it is kinda odd to me to hitch your wagon to a pick like this that may not see the field in what could potentially be the last year for Fox and company.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

weird Asian candy posted:

So is Glennon still the starter? I can see the rationale in the hail mary pick to save jobs if it works, but it is kinda odd to me to hitch your wagon to a pick like this that may not see the field in what could potentially be the last year for Fox and company.

It is clear to me, at least, that Glennon is the bridge to the "bright future" that is Trubisky.

The coaches and GM in Chicago will be fired long before Trubisky ever plays a loving down of football, barring an injury to Glennon.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Chilichimp posted:

I think the Julio trade was a good deal. The Falcons were a strong team and it traded long-term success for short-term payoff and it worked on both accounts--they immediately benefit, but boy did they pay for the dearth of picks a couple of years later. That said, they were already a good team.

But let me flip it. Near as I can tell, in the last 20 or so years, several teams have traded up to get a QB. How many have been successful? The Giants with Eli, if you want to count that one then OK sure, I'll give you that one. Who else? Maaaaybe the Falcons with Vick? Since the AFL/NFL merger, teams have traded up for a QB 12 times (13 w/Eli), and near as I can tell, only 2 (3 w/Eli) have won a playoff game for their team. Part of it might possibly be that when you get your franchise QB, you may also want to put a few good players around him to help him succeed, but I'm just spitballing here.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Trading up for a qb has a long storied history of working out

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

It is clear to me, at least, that Glennon is the bridge to the "bright future" that is Trubisky.

The coaches and GM in Chicago will be fired long before Trubisky ever plays a loving down of football, barring an injury to Glennon.

Kinda my thoughts, which makes it even more interesting as it would indicate this was a move predicated by the McCaskey's as I'm sure Fox/Gase are in oh poo poo we need to win now not 3 years down the line...or you would think.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I feel like I have to reiterate that Trubisky only worked out for the Bears once and they never communicated with him until right before they drafted him. Add in the fact that John Fox hates rookie QBs and you have someone who is set up for failure.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

weird Asian candy posted:

Yes.

Glennon is a stop gap on a great deal(consecutive one year deals), Glennon is the starter this year and there are 3 outcomes; He either proves he sucks , He's mediocre/gets injured, or he plays good /great(lmao).

If he sucks, then back to free agency he goes. If he's mediocre/injured he gets brought back and competes with Mitch. If he's good/great(lmao), He's brought back as the starter Mitch sits another year, and you maybe start looking into trade options for Mitch, and you keep him as a backup for the time being.

This probably buys Pace extra time. And gives Pace a reasoning in the offseason to shitcan Fox with the cover of getting an offensive mind in here to mold the young QB.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Eli Wiggum posted:

I feel like I have to reiterate that Trubisky only worked out for the Bears once and they never communicated with him until right before they drafted him. Add in the fact that John Fox hates rookie QBs and you have someone who is set up for failure.

He made it work with Tebow. :cool:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

honestly about 2 years of being competitive if we're being honest.

Or have you forgotten the long ago times, before Atlanta had offensive linemen?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

He made it work with Tebow. :cool:
Tebow was in his second season :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

honestly about 2 years of being competitive if we're being honest.

Or have you forgotten the long ago times, before Atlanta had offensive linemen?

Those were dark times. Thankfully PTSD has scrubbed the years between 2013 and Dan Quinn clear from memory.

• Locked thread