Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The dragon fireworks is neat and makes a loud bang that I hope everyone nearby can hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dick Trauma posted:

The dragon fireworks is neat and makes a loud bang that I hope everyone nearby can hear.

We can.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I picked up one of the scavenger hunt quests but goodness, everything looks like it all needs a high level.
Is there any way of doing them as a lowbie?

Also where do you get the dragon fireworks from? I haven't found them yet.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Innerguard posted:

I picked up one of the scavenger hunt quests but goodness, everything looks like it all needs a high level.

Year One Trifles: Old Foes can be completed with help from toons 60+. If you're too low in level, like below 30, even that might not be doable. You have to go into both southeastern Misty Mountains and to the rear end end of Forochel, with plenty of aggro along the way if your chaperones aren't vigilant enough.

Year Two has a Shire pub crawl that ends in the Lone Lands, so that one is even easier. Why they didn't make that the Year One one instead is beyond me.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Innerguard posted:

I'll be happy to guide you if we can schedule a time to make it work. This goes for everyone. I'm currently playing just for these hunts (having gotten another thing to keep my attention) but I'm more than happy to go online to help people out.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I've been thinking about running the bounties one on my goon guardian, so I'm game.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 25, 2017

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I can be on tonight for example from about 22h30 (GMT+1) till about 2 in the morning. I know... crazy European times. I hope it can swing with your times. Otherwise I'm free most today after I go run a few errands.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
So i reinstalled this, and my old server is long gone. Im in the Uk on was on a euro server. and have the following servers to choose from...

Belegost, Evernight, Gwaihir, Laurelin or Sirranon.

Which should I choose for a goon presence? Last time I was online was when Mirkwood came out. Im a minstrel with 9900 lotro points... whatever the hell that is.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I'll be on for a couple hours tonight too, feel free to message Grodhir if you need any help

Also the 10 year livestream is up, no idea of the schedule for in game events right now it's like a dev chat, probably giveaways and events randomly

https://www.twitch.tv/lotrostream

Follow 'em!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hadn't realized there'd been a patch. I may not make it tonight.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

So i reinstalled this, and my old server is long gone. Im in the Uk on was on a euro server. and have the following servers to choose from...

Which should I choose for a goon presence? Last time I was online was when Mirkwood came out. Im a minstrel with 9900 lotro points... whatever the hell that is.

The only one with a goon presence is Landroval. I'm pretty sure there are at least a few other Euro's in the kin.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You're primary options with your existing characters are Evernight & Laurelin. EU characters can't transfer to NA servers and vice-versa due to some differences in character data files.

I play on Laurelin in addition to Landroval. It's the game's main RP server(only 10-20% actually RP though). It has a decent population and is pretty chill & friendly overall. You only have to deal with the RPers if you want to, but lore-appropriate names are strongly preferred on the server at large.

I couldn't tell you anything specifically about Evernight, but I do know that it's very busy like Brandywine is NA side. Most English & non-French/German EU players went there if they desperately wanted to avoid Laurelin due to it's RP status.

Considering how long you've been gone, you may as well reroll to re-acclimate yourself. Goons play on Landroval, which is a bigger, noisier version of Laurelin with an American accent. The music scene is bigger on Landy, which you probably will actually start to appreciate after a while.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
The stream event is on for another 90 minutes exactly, til midnight EST. They're giving out the tundra cubs, spirit bears, and other pets and items retired outside of donating money to the yearly charity thing. Summoning big monsters, lots of fireworks.

https://www.twitch.tv/lotrostream

Is the Twitch, you can also follow them on YouTube/Facebook, sometimes they give out codes for titles and LOTRO points.

And correct, play on a Euro server (Evernight seems nice) if your ping really makes the game unplayable on Landroval, but we're all on Landroval. The dev party just left Landroval and went to Arkenstone, I got a tundra bear pet and Nazgun got a spirit bear.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

extra stout posted:

And correct, play on a Euro server (Evernight seems nice) if your ping really makes the game unplayable on Landroval, but we're all on Landroval. The dev party just left Landroval and went to Arkenstone, I got a tundra bear pet and Nazgun got a spirit bear.

I have slight lag on Landroval from Denmark. It's not unbearable thought. Also - neat bear pet!

Lars fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 26, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

extra stout posted:

Burgs got a big buff this year but are still bad only because the fellowship maneuver system has not been rehauled in...drat, six years? seven?

I don't recall it every getting rehauled. I think they tweaked a couple at some point in SoM but like many other mechanics, FMs have been neglected for the newest mechanic. At least the healing FMs are probably still useful. I can't imagine the damage ones matter in the slightest. It's a shame too because a good burg and extra FMs was pretty fantastic to have in Moria and Mirkwood content.

Innerguard posted:

High level players carrying lowbies through content they have no business running is a long-standing Lotro tradition. Like when someone would try to powerlevel a crafting class and find out that they need to go kill mobs that are purple to them or whatever the Expert(?) crafting tier's quests were like.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Woot woot I got a spirit bear pet and some pirate eye patch out of the event.

Here are some screenshots :

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
As far as i know all the servers - including EU ones are located in the US so you wont gain anything lagwise by playing in one from europe compared to another useast server, im european and playing on landroval and the only thing i notice is me sometimes being the only one online during eu daytime.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Don't you find all those name tags disturbing? It does make it obvious there is a whole lot of people there, though.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
too late to turn them off now ;)

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Ok I chose Laurlin for my free server switch which strangely was my original server on release as im an rp type. I moved servers to be with friends originally.

I opened my bags and found them full of crap of I have no idea. My vault chests were likewise full of crap of what the hell is all this. I also had 9 - 10 years of gift boxes, 9 definitely as my bags filled up with free stuff my account was giving me when I logged in. I also noticed my minstrel is 62 which I was convinced was 50. On reflection Im sure I stormed through my 50s in Moria and Lothlorien (which was loving awesome).

Everything is so completely differently interface wise and im finding it difficult to adjust back into the game and it does look incredibly dated, though ive being playing Elder Scrolls online in HDR on the xbox so I think my brain has adjusted to better technologies (although I can still spend hours on P99 Everquest)

I have 9915 lotro points which never existed im sure when I was last online and im not sure what to spend them on. Any advice would be appreciated. I may even do as advised and just reroll on the goon server.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
Gift me Gift of Valar so I don't have to deal with leveling to 50! Jk (kinda).

This is a great time to get back in the game though, and I agree that it takes some getting used to after playing newer stuff, but if you look past the models the environments still look pretty fantastic after all these years.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
At the very least you should buy all the expansions pack with your store points. Get the wallet upgrade too.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

desudrive posted:

Gift me Gift of Valar so I don't have to deal with leveling to 50! Jk (kinda).

If it's your first character, don't do this, heh. If you don't enjoy the lore and leveling and questing in this game, then there's really no reason to play it.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I've slowly leveled a Captain to 44 since the game went free to play, but after playing so many MMOs I find the class to be pretty boring to play now. I started looking into others like Hunter and Warden: classes with more mechanics than just keeping up buffs. I'm just sick of the early zones at this point and really want to move onto Moria and other content. But I shall persevere.

I'm actually really digging my Hunter at the moment, how is it at later levels?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I love my hunter for convenience. They always kill fast and they get you anywhere fast. But interesting they are not. I use 3-4 skills tops, though I'm far from a good hunter, but it can be repetitive. Their saving grace though is again that enemies die in a matter of seconds which is a big big boon compared to slower classes. Wardens are truly complex it seems and can add variety to your style, but I'm not one to say.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I started a Warden recently and I'll keep playing him until I get tired of kicking mobs in the face.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
If you want to see the game world and explore every corner, Hunter is the best class.

If you want something complex and different than what other classes, and even other games offer, Warden is where it's at.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I completely agree.

A while ago I decided to give the Beorning a go because I think shapeshifting classes can be pretty neat, but I was disappointed in its simplicity. It's basically a rage mechanic that lets you turn into a bear.

Playing newer games has spoiled me with combat mechanics, I'll admit that. Lately I've been trying to not compare this game with other MMOs. Instead I've been trying to just enjoy the game world and what it has to offer. I definitely appreciate what they've done here.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If anybody else used the guides that AskYourself posted for the anniversary scavenger hunt, here is the year three guide:https://departmentofstrategery.wordpress.com/2017/04/27/anniversary-scavenger-hunt-guide-year-3/

Also AskYourself's post with the other links:

PS: Thanks, AskYourself, for posting these they were very helpful to me.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The year-3 Trifles quest nearly broke me. I still have a bunch to go, but I spent WAY TOO drat LONG in Carn dum. Of course I was soloing all this crap because... tbh kinda pleased how much I managed to do on my own but still.

If you're high level you can probably get by, but otherwise these absolutely need a group.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I've been on a work trip, about to leave for family vacation. Do these stick around, or if you miss a week are you boned?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

They stick around until July something. But they'll be back next year and your progress is saved. Pretty much you get Year 1 whenever you start and just have to work your wait up.

What I'm not clear on is if you complete one of the Hunts do you unlock the next year automatically or do you have to do all three to do so?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
You only need to complete 1 of the 3 to unlock the next year.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I desperately want this game to make fast travel skills universal to all classes, because right now the only ones that have them are Hunter and Warden(?).

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Most of the hubs, especially in the later game have a "Return to..." skill you can barter at higher reputation.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Most of the hubs, especially in the later game have a "Return to..." skill you can barter at higher reputation.

It should be like the Hunter where you just need food dammit :colbert:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Unctuous Cretin posted:

But don't those have long cool-downs? The Native Skills are instantaneous.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Alter Ego posted:

It should be like the Hunter where you just need food dammit :colbert:

They removed that requirement a while back.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

xZAOx posted:

They removed that requirement a while back.

Yeah, like, years ago. (November 20th, 2013, apparently.) Wasn't until last year that I finally got around to removing the two stacks of rations from my inventory, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alter Ego posted:

I desperately want this game to make fast travel skills universal to all classes, because right now the only ones that have them are Hunter and Warden(?).

Captains can summon other players to them still, I think.