Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
You actually should bring the baby with you to First Class to save money and punish the petit-bourgeois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
No bring the baby on a private plane, that'll show 'em

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You actually should bring the baby with you to First Class to save money and punish the petit-bourgeois.

Save money?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I read through the article on the Fyre Festival and the entire time, one thought dominated my mind:

eat the rich

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

KingSlime posted:

I read through the article on the Fyre Festival and the entire time, one thought dominated my mind:

eat the rich

They're apparently doing a great job of eating each other.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Cold on a Cob posted:

They're apparently doing a great job of eating each other.

If by each other you mean delicious cheese sandwiches on Wonder Wheat.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
and a delicious, nutrient-packed side salad

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i can't wait to see how this turns out by sunday afternoon

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
A good thing about donating to Twitch streamers is that some are configured to play the song/video you choose when submitting your donation.

https://streamable.com/o30tr

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But a seat in first class, but only for the baby. Then he and his wife get to nap in coach while they deal with it!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Crazy Mike posted:

Ok, I'm going to ask y'all to help me avoid or convince me to be super BWM.

Situation: I'm half of a 100k+ gross income/70k net couple. We plan on one or two vacations a year. I have gotten a taste of flying first class and want it all the time for flights longer than two hours. Have you all made the jump to primarily being a first class flier? Do you only go for the upgrade if it's affordable or have you decided I don't do coach anymore? When did you decide you could afford it?

Complicating things is that we may have a baby soon and while she is under two goes as a lap baby. Is a first class upgrade worth it when you've got to hold on to a baby for five-six hours? Am I going to have to buy two because there is no way in hell my wife will let me sit in first class while she's in coach or do we have some poor arrangement like you get first class on the way up and I get it on the way back?

A July cross country trip with a new baby is in the plans and I am severely tempted to use my miles for that first class upgrade instead of the overseas trip we are planning in a couple years.

This is probably a joke, but...

If you've got a baby and money to burn, remember the baby doesn't have to be a lap baby. Buy an extra seat for baby and take the car seat. Then the baby can (theoretically) sleep in the car seat in its own seat while you relax. Three economy class tickets are certainly cheaper than two first class!

As for having her sit in economy with the baby or cancel your dream trip in two years, enjoy your divorce.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

BarbarianElephant posted:

As for having her sit in economy with the baby or cancel your dream trip in two years, enjoy your divorce.

The fact that this:

Crazy Mike posted:

Am I going to have to buy two because there is no way in hell my wife will let me sit in first class while she's in coach

was probably a serious question to a bunch of strangers-- enjoy your divorce. Maybe just cut to the chase and take a vacation by yourself to Bangkok.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Droo posted:

Once you have a paid off home, a 6 figure college fund set aside for each kid and a 7 figure retirement fund then feel free to spend an extra $5000 to be more comfortable for half a day.

I don't have these things but I'd much rather pay $1000 for a first class ticket (from PHL to SEA, which is where my last flight was) than $300 for an economy ticket, but I'm physically large enough (in height and width) that economy (and even economy plus) cause me fairly severe pain that lasts for hours after the flight is over when I cram myself into those seats. I temper that with not flying hardly ever and choosing to drive if my destination is within 2-3 days drive. gently caress ever riding economy on a plane again.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Ashcans posted:

But a seat in first class, but only for the baby. Then he and his wife get to nap in coach while they deal with it!

Now this is the plan I'm glad I came here for. Of course babies need constant attention so I don't think it would work. I'd wait until age 4-6 for maximum annoyance which is when a child is less likely to spontaneously hurt itself but doesn't quite have the focus to bury its head in a tablet with headphones while eating junk food for five hours.

BarbarianElephant posted:

This is probably a joke, but...

If you've got a baby and money to burn, remember the baby doesn't have to be a lap baby. Buy an extra seat for baby and take the car seat. Then the baby can (theoretically) sleep in the car seat in its own seat while you relax. Three economy class tickets are certainly cheaper than two first class!

Good advice, I might do this. And to be fair, the tradeoff wasn't cancelling the international trip, it was flying in coach for the international trip.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Not a Children posted:

I impulse bought gorillaz tickets from stubhub because I thought they were on sale the week before and had already sold out. If I end up getting face value I'll be out $50, plus the cost of the better ticket I got when they actually went of sale. I've been depressed about it all week 'cause it was really fuckin' dumb and I coulda used that money to buy mario kart or something, so maybe I'm the real idiot for not being able to shrug poo poo like this off

e: vvvvvv well now I feel a lot better, at least I didn't get roped into this poo poo

poo poo gorillaz tickets are on sale? gently caress brb blowing $50

e: The event near me is a whole music festival that goes on for 3 days and the early bird discounted admission is "only" $110 per person. Whelp there goes my fun fund for the next few months :smithicide:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 28, 2017

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Jake Mustache posted:

A good thing about donating to Twitch streamers is that some are configured to play the song/video you choose when submitting your donation.

https://streamable.com/o30tr

Ok, I legit lol'd at this.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
meh I'm a musician myself but I outgrew the need to go to festivals when I was like 21. I prefer my live music in bars and my drug trips in cozier settings

Lots of my friends still enjoy them though, maybe I'm just a boring old man in the making

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Crazy Mike posted:

Now this is the plan I'm glad I came here for. Of course babies need constant attention so I don't think it would work. I'd wait until age 4-6 for maximum annoyance which is when a child is less likely to spontaneously hurt itself but doesn't quite have the focus to bury its head in a tablet with headphones while eating junk food for five hours.

Good advice, I might do this. And to be fair, the tradeoff wasn't cancelling the international trip, it was flying in coach for the international trip.

International business is massively better than international coach so your stupid plan is a serious misallocation of resources.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KingSlime posted:

meh I'm a musician myself but I outgrew the need to go to festivals when I was like 21. I prefer my live music in bars and my drug trips in cozier settings

Lots of my friends still enjoy them though, maybe I'm just a boring old man in the making

I wouldn't go to the festival for the festival part I just want to go to a Gorillaz concert and that's the only one that's even gonna be in this freakin' state :sigh:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ate all the Oreos posted:

I wouldn't go to the festival for the festival part I just want to go to a Gorillaz concert and that's the only one that's even gonna be in this freakin' state :sigh:

Come down to Baltimore, lawn seats are $50

It's on a weeknight though

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Music festivals both own and suck. I'm 33 and I'll keep going to them when there's enough bands that I want to see and I'll keep complaining about how bad they are.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I don't have these things but I'd much rather pay $1000 for a first class ticket (from PHL to SEA, which is where my last flight was) than $300 for an economy ticket, but I'm physically large enough (in height and width) that economy (and even economy plus) cause me fairly severe pain that lasts for hours after the flight is over when I cram myself into those seats. I temper that with not flying hardly ever and choosing to drive if my destination is within 2-3 days drive. gently caress ever riding economy on a plane again.

Spend the $700 on a stairmaster instead, then you can go back to buying $300 economy fares. Win/win!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Barry posted:

Spend the $700 on a stairmaster instead, then you can go back to buying $300 economy fares. Win/win!

:drat:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
you know the thought crossed your mind too

after all, this is the sub forum dedicated to optimizing your expenses in the long run

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Barry posted:

I don't think a stairmaster is going to make my legs shorter or reduce the size of my physical frame.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Crazy Mike posted:

Situation: I'm half of a 100k+ gross income/70k net couple. We plan on one or two vacations a year. I have gotten a taste of flying first class and want it all the time for flights longer than two hours. Have you all made the jump to primarily being a first class flier? Do you only go for the upgrade if it's affordable or have you decided I don't do coach anymore? When did you decide you could afford it?

Complicating things is that we may have a baby soon and while she is under two goes as a lap baby. Is a first class upgrade worth it when you've got to hold on to a baby for five-six hours? Am I going to have to buy two because there is no way in hell my wife will let me sit in first class while she's in coach or do we have some poor arrangement like you get first class on the way up and I get it on the way back?

A July cross country trip with a new baby is in the plans and I am severely tempted to use my miles for that first class upgrade instead of the overseas trip we are planning in a couple years.

I fly about every other week, I'm over six foot tall, and I never pay for first class. I've been bumped up there twice because of all the miles I've accrued, and while it's definitely nice it's way overpriced for what you get. I'm just as happy in an exit row seat, honestly.

Save your money and put it somewhere that gives you more bang for the buck.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
So you're not fat, you're big boned?

sorry, I'll see myself out

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Barry posted:

So you're not fat, you're big boned?

sorry, I'll see myself out

Huge bones I tells ya!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Spermy Smurf posted:

Huge bones I tells ya!

The arm bones are so intensely disturbing :stare:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Spermy Smurf posted:

30 years ago babies and children rode on the floor so they wouldn't roll off the seat and/or facing backwards in a station wagon. You can't compare 1980's with new safety regulations.

I've got some huge car seat monstrosities that take up more room than I ever believed possible.

Take your car, whatever it is. Load it up with a kid in a car seat (remember, it's a loving massive car seat), two boys with full hockey equipment, and one boys friend with another huge bag of equipment. How's it working for you? Cramped? Does your oldest kid have to walk? I certainly don't want to keep up with the Jonses, but sometimes having a big car is a necessity.

Yeah, my parents had the same cargo/passenger requirements in the 90s (the 90s being 15 years ago, not the 80s) and made do with a Ford Fairlane. Somehow, that was sufficient.

I'll admit I have a irrational hatred of SUV's, because they add extra bulk and weight to the vehicles of people who, in my experience, have extremely questionable driving skills. And largely, as I stated, as overcompensation for the physical weakness of their own bodies / other, more Freudian reasons.

And even if the added cargo space was for families, why do I often see elderly women driving them, who in the case of my great aunt, most assuredly does not have to transport any more than two people?

(Yes, I'm bitter about some idiot reversing into me in Suburbia, Australia.)

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't think anyone's going to blame you for having a minivan if you're transporting half of the hockey team around several times a week, but everyone with enough money is buying their kid an SUV these days for safety reasons, and now there's some sort of a safety arms race going on.

If that is the case, I'm investing in APCs, light tanks, monster trucks, those armoured vans that banks use and truck cabs as the upcoming fad of the 2020s.

Sic Semper Goon fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 28, 2017

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Sic Semper Goon posted:

If that is the case, I'm investing in APCs, light tanks, monster trucks, those armoured vans that banks use and truck cabs as the upcoming fad of the 2020s.

Have you instead considered purchasing THE MARAUDER?

"...a good towncar"
-Richard Hammond

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Teeter posted:

Have you instead considered purchasing THE MARAUDER?

"...a good towncar"
-Richard Hammond

Christ, don't give them ideas.

I won't survive the next collision.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

twitter, no

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate all the Oreos posted:

Not owning a house means you don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and an "asset" that will suddenly lose 40% of its value the next time the market decides to correct so if you wind up in a situation where you need to move (say, for work, since the market corrected) you won't be shackled to a boat anchor. Get a house because you have a specific use for a house, not because you think you have to to be an adult.

Work on the retirement savings though, you're still starting earlier than a lot of people if you start now :v:

Houses do get paid off.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It's glorious, but it's for the really really rich, and infants/toddlers have no business being up there.

Or, for the somewhat rich helicopter parents who are terrified that something bad will happen to their beautiful blonde daughters during a flight if they're in with the regular folks

lol family

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Remember "I bought every horse I've seen"? He is diversifying.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Crazy Mike posted:

The most elegant solution I've seen is to get seats in the first row of Economy and get a baby seat thingy from the airline for the baby. You have so much leg room in the front row that everybody will have plenty of room.

First class makes no sense on domestic flights, and it's waaaay too expensive on the international flights where it would actually make a difference (US West coast -> Australia).

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 29, 2017

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Crazy Mike posted:

I second what others said about not bringing a baby into first class, but I do think it's worth looking into. Sometimes first/business class is not that much more expensive. For example, a friend is going to Rome and it's $1100 in coach and $2000 in business. That might be worth it. Other times, coach is way cheaper or business is in the 5-10K range, in which case it's definitely not worth it.

I find myself rarely paying for first/business when I'm not traveling for work, but I do often find it a good use of miles. And sometimes if it's not crazy expensive and it's an overnight flight or something, it's worth it to me.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Subjunctive posted:

Houses do get foreclosed on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

theHUNGERian posted:

Remember "I bought every horse I've seen"? He is diversifying.

into unsolicited faxes? this is amazing on so many levels

• Locked thread