Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo that's what I should be watching instead of taking a dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
gently caress Off.

If Episode 3 of The Handmaids Tale doesn't leave you emotionally devastated then you are not a human being.

Jesus Christ.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was being serious. I was sitting on the toilet taking a dump trying to figure out what show I should watch tonight. I had completely forgotten about Handmaid's Tale.

I could see how it could be taken the wrong way, though. Who says that?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Someone change the tag of Handmaidens to Anime becuase I tried and posted then it turned to poo poo post unsure how that happened.

Snak posted:

I was being serious. I was sitting on the toilet taking a dump trying to figure out what show I should watch tonight. I had completely forgotten about Handmaid's Tale.

I could see how it could be taken the wrong way, though. Who says that?

It's okay. I still value you as a person . I totally took that as a slander against it.

Beware it is emotionally difficult to watch. I outright cried during episode 3.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man, this is different than I remember the book starting. I never read the whole book though, becuase I was like, a teenager.

I will be posting my reactions in the thread. I'm assuming there is one.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 28, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Shageletic posted:

Cheers! You just just starting posting here, but you should know that insulting people for their opinions is not good and is in fact bad.

1) I'm not new 2) Don't post boring memes as a substitute for criticism and I won't call them boring memes as a substitute for criticism 3) being patronizing while attempting to high ground an "insult" is pretty rich.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
So who here wants to get in on this insane boxset? Only $597

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/04/27/the-boondock-saints-origins-tv-series

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm only one episode in but the premise of The Handmaids Tale confuses me greatly. Did society collapse in 5 minutes?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Short answer: yes.

It's not unheard of.

But keep watching. You learn more.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Longbaugh01 posted:

Why did they do this whole release 3 in one day, and the rest are weekly thing? Especially since--from everything I've heard--it's a more difficult show to watch more than one of at a time.

I'm guessing it's because a lot of the early eps are largely world-building so it's enough to persuade impatient people there is an actual narrative.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The first two episodes of Dear White People are fantastic. If you've seen the movie, Justin Simien does a great job of recontexualizing certain events so that they're better suited for long-form storytelling while still letting the story serve as a sort-of standalone sequel. If you haven't seen the movie, don't worry about it, just let the dry, dulcet tones of Giancarlo Esposito fill you in at the top of each episode.

Also, there's a TV show parody midway through the first episode that had me rolling.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MiddleOne posted:

I'm only one episode in but the premise of The Handmaids Tale confuses me greatly. Did society collapse in 5 minutes?

I only saw 2 episodes but it seems like what Utah would have been like if Children of Men kind of happened.

I saw a movie version of this book years ago but I don't remember much except the bones.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

1) I'm not new 2) Don't post boring memes as a substitute for criticism and I won't call them boring memes as a substitute for criticism 3) being patronizing while attempting to high ground an "insult" is pretty rich.

Meme? Not liking the first season of Leftovers is a meme? Haha what?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

GreenNight posted:

Amazon Prime needs a category just for the Rifftrax they have available.

I would pay the price of Amazon Prime just to have a service that offered Rifftrax as a commentary track on most of the movies they have done.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm annoyed that a good chunk of the Rifftrax shorts and several Rifftrax live events used to be in Hulu and now they're gone.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Grab the streaming channel Pluto on your Roku or whatever if it's offered. Has 24/7 MST3K and Rifftrax channels.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I only saw 2 episodes but it seems like what Utah would have been like if Children of Men kind of happened.

I saw a movie version of this book years ago but I don't remember much except the bones.

The old Handmaid's Tale film is extremely, extremely good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Soooo Roseanne revival? They've confirmed that Roseanne, John Goodman and Sara Gilbert will be back with at least Laurie Metcalfe in talks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

Soooo Roseanne revival? They've confirmed that Roseanne, John Goodman and Sara Gilbert will be back with at least Laurie Metcalfe in talks.

That makes no sense since Dan was dead for the whole final season

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Iron Crowned posted:

That makes no sense since Dan was dead for the whole final season

If smart they're going to forget the lovely finale ever happened.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

X-O posted:

If smart they're going to forget the lovely finale ever happened.

I did, I try not to remember the whole final season, but sometimes it leaks into my memory

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What's next? A reboot of Hanging with Mr. Cooper? Just let old shows die.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

Good lord why?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes please.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Reboot Dinosaurs.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

This joke would have worked better if you had used a bad show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Reboot Dinosaurs.

Make it about impending extinction from climate change.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

Make it about impending extinction from climate change.

Well then you wouldn't want to reboot it since that's how the last episode ended.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Perfect Strangers: The Next Generation! The Next Step By Step! Teen Angel 2020! Extended Family Matters! Kimmie Gibbler's Place! AfterS.A.B.R.I.N.A.!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Reboot ReBoot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thwomp posted:

Reboot ReBoot.

If you listen to Mainframe/whatever they're called now the ReBoot reboot is always just around the corner.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd watch most of those reboots, so..

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It cannot be done without Tony Jay. RIP

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

Perfect Strangers: The Next Generation! The Next Step By Step! Teen Angel 2020! Extended Family Matters! Kimmie Gibbler's Place! AfterS.A.B.R.I.N.A.!

When I was little, I thought Sailor Moon was some kind of Japanese cartoon version of Sabrina the Teenage Witch because the main character was a blonde girl called Serena (which sounded sort of like "Sabrina") whose sidekick was a talking black cat.

That was my stupid childhood misconception.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Shageletic posted:

Meme? Not liking the first season of Leftovers is a meme? Haha what?

It's not too hard to go back and look, but what they were saying was a meme used by people critical of The Leftovers was that Norah paying sexworkers to shoot her in the vested chest was somehow bad, and that's when I originally responded to you and said I had never heard that complaint, and then Whisk responded that it was a low-effort meme.

Though again, not too hard to go back and look, even if you didn't just...remember it like I did...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ABC is bringing The Gong Show back. With an interesting choice for host.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/the-gong-show-revival-british-comic-tommy-maitland-mike-myers-host-1202079151/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My reaction to this move is:

Question mark? :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Haha what the gently caress

That's gonna be real bad

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Dear White People is loving fantastic.

The fake tv show watch party is amazing

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Gong Show is something that's really overdue for coming back as it's a pretty great concept. That gimmick host thing is a bit weird though.

• Locked thread