Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The ballpit is always funny. :)

Anyone know who "won" the Fyrefestival hunger games? Also, did anyone there take the oppurtunity to dress up like a pirate and yell "yarr" a lot, since they are in the Bahama's, gotta make the best of a bad situation :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

PROTIP: you want the ones with some burnt on top, how much will vary per person but the ones completely unburnt are somewhat bland. think "creme brulee".

PROTIP2: do not forget to put cinnamon on top

gently caress man. Too late for the cinnamon. Next time. Soon (tm).

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

quote:

Are you blind man? Im there right now, theres hella smoke from the burning tents on the south side of the island

Ja Rule played too much King of the Kill lmao

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I hope there is a Star Citizen ball pit, either in game, or at one of the cons.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Rabbi T. White posted:

This is not getting the love it deserves. It is amazing.

Thank you, commando! I'm glad someone liked it lol.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
Frye Festival: What happens when you sale Dreams to trust fund babies whales

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
You still have that $1250 Idris and the $2500 Javelin moma?

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Odd... remind you of any "limited edition" JPEGs you know of?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
If only the fyre festival targeted disabled gamers, instead of trust fund kids, they would have easily made $147m.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

This is so Star Citizen.

They get to explore for treasure. Celebrities are involved. Luxurious accommodations.

Are we sure crobbler wasn't involved?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
https://twitter.com/WNFIV/status/857821554368970752

https://twitter.com/WNFIV/status/857826106237497344

XK
Jul 9, 2001

lol Skittles and cigarettes.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

I don't know if Subnautica has been mentioned before around here but I've just gotten to a stopping point after about 4 days of playing it pretty hardcore. I haven't felt that immersed in a game in a long time. I really felt like I was in that world. Hell I jumped a lot when I turned around and a leviathan was staring me in the face or some other pissed off fish. I haven't even tried to boot it up with the Vive yet but I'm pretty excited to turn it on. CIG could take queues from these guys in fidelity. Seamless entering bases and giant submarines with no loading screens after it starts.

Not to mention it's a totally playable game in Early Access and they have an awesome, if not overwhelming, public issue tracker.

https://trello.com/b/yxoJrFgP/subnautica-development

All for $20 bucks and even then it goes on sale for half off a lot.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

DarkRefreshment posted:

I don't know if Subnautica has been mentioned before around here but I've just gotten to a stopping point after about 4 days of playing it pretty hardcore. I haven't felt that immersed in a game in a long time. I really felt like I was in that world. Hell I jumped a lot when I turned around and a leviathan was staring me in the face or some other pissed off fish. I haven't even tried to boot it up with the Vive yet but I'm pretty excited to turn it on. CIG could take queues from these guys in fidelity. Seamless entering bases and giant submarines with no loading screens after it starts.

Not to mention it's a totally playable game in Early Access and they have an awesome, if not overwhelming, public issue tracker.

https://trello.com/b/yxoJrFgP/subnautica-development

All for $20 bucks and even then it goes on sale for half off a lot.

When you play it with a vive, set an alarm or you'll end up starving to death or at least playing a lot longer than you wanted to. :)

Some sea critters may make you jump and poop without warning, be careful.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

This Fyre Festival disaster going down right now seems like a fast forward version of Star Citizen.

http://ibankcoin.com/zeropointnow/2...-rule-involved/

https://twitter.com/FyreFraud/status/857779518987132929

https://twitter.com/trev4president/status/857776562615308288

https://twitter.com/ErinLea7/status/857845889448243200

#FyreFestival

It seems the US embassy is involved in rescue operations now, ie getting people flights back to the US. At least Star Citizen won't leave people stranded in foreign countries, unless a Citizencon goes really badly.

There's clearly exaggeration going on with some of the more concerning reports, but it's still fun to watch people blow tons of money only to get completely stiffed when reality rolls around.

:eyepop:
This is awful, though surprisingly fitting for the thread. They never claimed to be making the Best Damned Luxury Festival Ever, I suppose, but they probably still beat Chris in the people-could-have-died category...

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'm the trust fund 20 year old wandering through the maze of shrink wrapped pallets

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I don't know who this Ja Rule person is, but he's my new hero

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

TheAgent posted:

• Confirmed: Ship-to-ship docking is now removed from the game (collars are not in use and according to CIG, will not be used). Boarding is available via EVA. If anyone can find the post where they confirm this, I'd be grateful.

I too would be interested in this to support "Ship-to-ship auto-docking" being changed to Broken on the tracker.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Any word from CIG about sending a ship to rescue folks stranded at Frye Festival? $2K for a concept now and it should be there in two weeks?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

I don't know who this Ja Rule person is, but he's my new hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-ddYhXAZc

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Star Citizen: Does anyone know how to make weapons?

:golfclap:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Sabreseven posted:

When you play it with a vive, set an alarm or you'll end up starving to death or at least playing a lot longer than you wanted to. :)

I wonder how many people manage to knock over and smash stuff in their house, or injure themselves while falling over or flailing into things, while wearing a VR headset.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Virtual Captain posted:

I too would be interested in this to support "Ship-to-ship auto-docking" being changed to Broken on the tracker.

Ship-to-ship docking being removed seems like it would impair a tremendous amount of Citizens' imagined scenarios. If that's removed, then you basically have the final version of boarding already in game, and it is unworkable garbage.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Sabreseven posted:

Cool! Really stoked to get my VR set back up and get on this.

But in relation to CIG, I know these guys aren't doing an MMO (technically neither was CIG at first) but there are a lot of good practices here.

Unknown Worlds Entertainment:
- Formed in 2001 and so far have released 3 games with Subnautica being the 4th when it's out of Early Access
- Small indie team of 20
- Created their own code engine called Spark after playing around with Source
- Created a commercial debugger for Lua called Decoda and since have released it open source
- Looks like they've been working on Subnatica for about 4 years or so with 1 or 2 quarterly updates since launch in 2014
- Detailed open development in the form of that task list tracker I mentioned before. Looks like they are working directly off that site task list too. No stupid videos every week with stiff gimmicky people talking about "Dreams" and calling it development
- Every thing all in the game for $20. Autistic submarine chariots not sold separately

According to Steamspy they've sold about 1.4 million copies. Assuming the range of half off at $10 to $20 full price we say $15 a pop, that's over 2 million bucks. Meanwhile CIG is sitting on $150 mil and they haven't even produced anything but a flaming pile of poo poo with the corn kernels and stink sold separately. I don't know much else about these guys over at UWE but clearly they have their poo poo together and a plan

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Just to derail the Fyre derail and note that The Titanic is my new favorite poster ITT. Those two posts would, without a doubt, make The Wulge cry and go for, at the very least, another round of shock therapy (no doxxing was committed for this - he literally admitted it on reddit).

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 28, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

XK posted:

I wonder how many people manage to knock over and smash stuff in their house, or injure themselves while falling over or flailing into things, while wearing a VR headset.

Nearly breaking your hands while in VR, Giant Bomb's Vinny smashes the poo poo out of his hands:
https://streamable.com/513w

This is one of the reasons why cockpit games work so much better in VR than most other types of games. Wandering around and flailing your limbs while blind is just a bad idea.

XK fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 28, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Virtual Captain posted:

The most I can find about it is a couple old threads from 2016 regarding the removal of the "cutting collar" from the Cutlass. It seems like their initial plan of ships being able to forcibly dock/breach holes in other ships is out. It seems like reddit is of the belief that docking collars themselves will still be in but will only work on ships of the same manufacturer? Here's come quotes from Josh Coons from the Cutlass Rework Thread

quote:

We're losing the docking collar (in favor of cargo real estate) because Pirates don't ask for permission to dock.

quote:

We're developing Tractor Beam tech for the Caterpillar, so should serve the Cutlass too.
The trade-off for removing the port is you can make more money with the expanded cargo space. Sorry if the port was a favorite feature. Attaching to other ships will likely exist in a different form. Development Alphas can see a lot of change as the Design is implemented. Sometimes it's a difficult choice about a favorite thing. I feel sentimental about the Cutlass Black, as I've put a lot of work into that ship. But, I'm looking forward to the refresh and the opportunity to better define it's role.
I'm sure you can still pretend to be a friendly, you scoundrel.

quote:

I don't know if we can do a docking collar on a dynamic object with animations. I think our code would take a dump. It's an interesting concept.

quote:

I totally respect your concerns about rescue and I think it's a fair point. My role is to implement the designs, and I don't have greater insight into the reasoning behind the ports removal. Though for rescue I can think of some imaginative solutions, like some stasis equipment to transport the injured.
Cargo and small craft will come in all shapes and sizes, so there would be a round port with a square cargo problem. What we're planning to do is to allow a large section of the hull to open up and creating a more efficient ramp design, allowing passage of large cargo sizes and/or faster loading. This is going through some r+d shortly.
While re-designs require a lot of effort, our new processes allow us to alter ships more efficiently than before. I guess I'm saying that nothing is set in stone. I've helped rebuild the Cutlass three times already, so I may have a different perspective on the evolution of features. When docking is eventually figured out, I expect we'll need to do a lot of editing on ships to standardize the ports to work together and we'll be reviewing how this affects all ships. Let's just say the Cutlass v4.0 will not have a bottom port. I feel bad this upsets you but this is the direction right now.
edit: Re-reading your question...we're planning on allowing Pirates to set explosives at specific points on some ships that will cause a breach and then passage of some Cargo items through the gaping hole.

So I would say at best docking ports are in limbo and may not be possible, which is extra funny because Hellion already did it.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Thanks Beet.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

The most I can find about it is a couple old threads from 2016 regarding the removal of the "cutting collar" from the Cutlass. It seems like their initial plan of ships being able to forcibly dock/breach holes in other ships is out. It seems like reddit is of the belief that docking collars themselves will still be in but will only work on ships of the same manufacturer? Here's come quotes from Josh Coons from the Cutlass Rework Thread

So I would say at best docking ports are in limbo and may not be possible, which is extra funny because Hellion already did it.

Lots of people have already done things CIG can't do. Ideas are useless without execution.

GoodSpaceGames : Transformers :: StarCitizen : GoBots

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

XK posted:

I've had four replacement keyboards this year from knocking coffee over :v:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

XK posted:

Two ceiling fans and my wife's jaw.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I have been kidnapped by a group of loving Shitizens at Fyrefestival. Send help!

http://observer.com/2017/04/fyre-festival-supermodel-influencer-promotion-rumors/

...and they stole all my poo poo!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 28, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

CrazyLoon posted:

Just to derail the Fyre derail and note that The Titanic is my new favorite poster ITT. Those two posts would, without a doubt, make The Wulge cry and go for, at the very least, another round of shock therapy (no doxxing was committed for this - he literally admitted it on reddit).

You guys got to stop trying to get with The Titanic. You aren't going to get anything special; the Titanic goes down on everyone but women and children.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

XK posted:

True story : While wearing a Vive and playing Subnautica, I got spooked by a Sandshark and spun around and took a very fast step forwards, and nuts first right into my wifes elbow :byodood:

She was doing that thing people do when watching a moron attempting to use VR and had her arm draped over the top of the couch with her elbow sticking straight out, gently caress me did it make my eyes water :D

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I feel bad for the people who blew 10 grand to get scammed over a music festival. I also don't feel bad for the people who blew 10 grand over a music festival when I remember I took out a 3 year loan to fix my collapsed sewer line for $5,500.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

XK posted:

I personally have stripped the screws in my monitor arm when I hit the screen while throwing a grenade in Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades. My brother-in-law cracked a controller when he was ninja swinging at some zombies with a katana. And my wife stubbed her toe when she tried to kick a virtual box out of the way in Job Simulator because she's a clean freak and wanted it out of the line of sight in game.

So I'd say not many.. why you ask... :3:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Sabreseven posted:

True story : While wearing a Vive and playing Subnautica, I got spooked by a Sandshark and spun around and took a very fast step forwards, and nuts first right into my wifes elbow :byodood:

She was doing that thing people do when watching a moron attempting to use VR and had her arm draped over the top of the couch with her elbow sticking straight out, gently caress me did it make my eyes water :D

I think one of the necessary improvements for home VR use, of they want it to be anywhere near mainstream, will involve some kind of visual overlay of your environment so you can see that you aren't about to tackle your bookcase.

I don't know exactly how that will work, but it kind of seems like a necessity.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

XK posted:

I think one of the necessary improvements for home VR use, of they want it to be anywhere near mainstream, will involve some kind of visual overlay of your environment so you can see that you aren't about to tackle your bookcase.

They sort of have that now with a camera you can switch to in the HUD and a artificial boundary that pops up to alert you that you're close to a wall. My mistake was not allowing for flailing arms (e:) and feet. I have since made the area much larger to go nuts in.

DarkRefreshment fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

XK posted:

It could definitely use something like that, being curled up in a ball in dizzying agony praying my balls weren't twisted or squashed while a sandshark nibbled my head to the tune of wifey pissing herself laughing at me was definitely a low point for my VR playing :D