Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still think Tippet's best work was on Cain in Robocop 2. Just really cool how well he integrated go motion with the actual picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He also did a poo poo-ton of stop motion work in other films such as ... the bug battles in Starship Troopers

Jesus those were stop motion? I couldn't even tell and I've watched that film 100 times.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NtotheTC posted:

Jesus those were stop motion? I couldn't even tell and I've watched that film 100 times.

Phil was also a puppeteer (he co-puppeted the Rancor in Jedi), I dunno what exact technique he used on the bugs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NtotheTC posted:

The scene where the reporter is bisected by an arachnid is 90 percent actual props.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you have a copy of Starship Troopers with the commentary track, you can do the Phil Tippet drinking game. I do recommend sticking to sips, because Paul Verhoeven mentions Phil often.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mierenneuker posted:

If you have a copy of Starship Troopers with the commentary track, you can do the Phil Tippet drinking game. I do recommend sticking to sips, because Paul Verhoeven mentions Phil often.

Verhoven also just drops a story about living in Nazi occupied​ Poland in the middle of the movie. It's a really good commentary track

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a really good movie. Subtle moment: when Carmen first takes the shuttle up to the Roger Young, you can see the planetary defense guns on the space station around the moon. The propaganda film at the beginning boasts that these guns are better than ever at shooting down incoming asteroids. However the scene with car men's shuttle comes earlier in the timeline, meaning the guns were in place long before the Buenos Aires asteroid strikes, meaning the federation had ample time to shoot them down, but did nothing so they could justify a war with the arachnids.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

, meaning the federation had ample time to shoot them down

Uhh, I've got news for you about that "asteroid strike"...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OutsideAngel posted:

Uhh, I've got news for you about that "asteroid strike"...

There is no way in hell the arachnids could hurl an asteroid from halfway across the galaxy and hit a target as small as Buenos Aires

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

There is no way in hell the arachnids could hurl an asteroid from halfway across the galaxy and hit a target as small as Buenos Aires

I mean, it's a sci fi movie with psychic bugs. They potentially could.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

I mean, it's a sci fi movie with psychic bugs. They potentially could.

Wake up Sheeple

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
In The Thick Of It, the UK TV show that's the precursor to Veep, the spin doctor Stewart Pearson speaks in management jargon and catchy slogans reminiscent of US management gurus like Tony Robbins. Despite being clearly British, he's the only one who uses US pronunciation of words ("Open up your Z: drive" pronounced "Zee" instead of "Zed"), even to the point where he deliberately answers the inquiry questions with US pronunciation:

Simon Wier: "...you describe yourself as the human router [pronounced in the UK way as "rooter"] in human government, can you explain what you meant by that?"
Stewart Pearson: "I'm a... router... [emphasis his, pronounced in the US way to rhyme with "outer"]... in the sense[...]"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ollie Reeder manages to derive Star Wars from Malcolm Tucker's statement about a hairdresser who hosed his sister.

Also, in the film, Ollie/Toby is initially thought to be called Dan, because his predecessors had a tendency to all be called Dan. After Malcolm kicks Toby out at the end if the film, his replacement arrives, called Dan.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My Reefer Madness DVD came early, so I've seen the whole thing now. I quite liked May's plot she was the most satisfying character arc, probably because she's the closest thing to a "hero" the story has and also one of the most likable characters throughout. I also loved the symbolism in the final shot of the Bonfire catching the American Flag symbolising the city burning the very values that they hypocritically claim to uphold. I also like that by the time he got shouted down the second time, the Polish guy was clearly still not buying it, he spent the rest of the movie rolling his eyes at it in silence. Also the Ralph, Sally and Jack playing Uncle Sam, Lady Liberty and George Washington was a funny touch.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ollie Reeder manages to derive Star Wars from Malcolm Tucker's statement about a hairdresser who hosed his sister.
That is one of the greatest scenes in anything ever as far as I'm concerned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg-pnGFbwMQ

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

My Reefer Madness DVD came early, so I've seen the whole thing now. I quite liked May's plot she was the most satisfying character arc, probably because she's the closest thing to a "hero" the story has and also one of the most likable characters throughout. I also loved the symbolism in the final shot of the Bonfire catching the American Flag symbolising the city burning the very values that they hypocritically claim to uphold. I also like that by the time he got shouted down the second time, the Polish guy was clearly still not buying it, he spent the rest of the movie rolling his eyes at it in silence. Also the Ralph, Sally and Jack playing Uncle Sam, Lady Liberty and George Washington was a funny touch.

In a particularly great subtle moment, during the last number, when Jack goes "George Washington would never lie!" he's giving the middle finger, not pointing with his index finger like you would expect.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

minato posted:

In The Thick Of It, the UK TV show that's the precursor to Veep, the spin doctor Stewart Pearson speaks in management jargon and catchy slogans reminiscent of US management gurus like Tony Robbins. Despite being clearly British, he's the only one who uses US pronunciation of words ("Open up your Z: drive" pronounced "Zee" instead of "Zed"), even to the point where he deliberately answers the inquiry questions with US pronunciation:

Simon Wier: "...you describe yourself as the human router [pronounced in the UK way as "rooter"] in human government, can you explain what you meant by that?"
Stewart Pearson: "I'm a... router... [emphasis his, pronounced in the US way to rhyme with "outer"]... in the sense[...]"

He also asks Peter Mannion if he's "an American or an American't?" I wonder if he was just really into America.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still think Tippet's best work was on Cain in Robocop 2. Just really cool how well he integrated go motion with the actual picture.

Cain is, by far, my favorite robot/cyborg in cinema.

In keeping with the thread topic, I love that he had spiked toes that come down to anchor him when he fires his shoulder cannon.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Len posted:

Verhoven also just drops a story about living in Nazi occupied​ Poland in the middle of the movie. It's a really good commentary track

The commentary track for Total Recall is amazing as well. Ahnuld just kinda sits back and narrates the movie as though he was actually a spy going to mars.

I have no idea why Amazon and Netflix don't have commentary tracks available, it's not like people under 30 actually buy DVDs anymore anyways

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tumble posted:

I have no idea why Amazon and Netflix don't have commentary tracks available, it's not like people under 30 actually buy DVDs anymore anyways

Netflix can't even be bothered to add proper subtitles half the time, and when they do, they often ruin the effect by using their ugly rear end yellow print. I watched Last of the Mohicans and they didn't add subtitles for one bit of Huron Magwa speaks in the film, and in John Wick, they replaced the stylish subtitles and their integration into the film with their crappy yellow block text.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Tumble posted:

The commentary track for Total Recall is amazing as well. Ahnuld just kinda sits back and narrates the movie as though he was actually a spy going to mars.

Write to Jeff Bezos, ask him to make it a prime feature. Dude seems to love throwing money at prime memberships.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

[Phil Tippett] also did a poo poo-ton of stop motion work in other films such as ... the bug battles in Starship Troopers

This doesn't seem likely. Wasn't his studio responsible for the CG of the bugs (and possibly the animatronics and puppet-work for close-ups)?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gromit posted:

This doesn't seem likely. Wasn't his studio responsible for the CG of the bugs (and possibly the animatronics and puppet-work for close-ups)?

Yeah that seems more likely.

He also directed the sequel!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yeah that seems more likely.

He also directed the sequel!

And like most films directed by visual effects wizards, it is a hot pile of garbage. Surprisingly good CGI and practical effects for a straight to DVD film, but the story it's built around is just awful. It's crazy that Ed Neumeier wrote all three films.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

The Ape of Naples posted:

He also asks Peter Mannion if he's "an American or an American't?" I wonder if he was just really into America.
I've got to get hold of the scripts, they are so densely packed with jokes.

I keep wanting to recommend The Thick Of It to my American friends who like Veep, but at least 50% of the jokes are British cultural references, and pre-80's ones at that. Mannion's jab of "You turned into the wrong Mitford sister" and Murray's concern of her sack-race photo "looking like Catweazle with learning difficulties" sent me down a Youtube and Wikipedia rabbit hole.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

minato posted:

I keep wanting to recommend The Thick Of It to my American friends who like Veep, but at least 50% of the jokes are British cultural references, and pre-80's ones at that. Mannion's jab of "You turned into the wrong Mitford sister" and Murray's concern of her sack-race photo "looking like Catweazle with learning difficulties" sent me down a Youtube and Wikipedia rabbit hole.

I was able to get into it with a bit of confusion. I actually had to turn subtitles on because the jokes fly so fast and are delivered in accents.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Commentary tracks aren't available on streaming because the movie studios want something exclusive for discs.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Arcsquad12 posted:

Netflix can't even be bothered to add proper subtitles half the time, and when they do, they often ruin the effect by using their ugly rear end yellow print. I watched Last of the Mohicans and they didn't add subtitles for one bit of Huron Magwa speaks in the film, and in John Wick, they replaced the stylish subtitles and their integration into the film with their crappy yellow block text.

They ruined Burn Notice too. It's incredibly aggravating.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

Commentary tracks aren't available on streaming because the movie studios want something exclusive for discs.

poo poo, that makes a lot of sense. A book I read about Hollywood finances stated that studios only get about 30% of their income from box office sales these days and the rest is via home media sales, TV licencing and stuff like that. Before video rentals became a thing in the 80s they used to get pretty much most of their income from box office sales but now the market is massively different.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Polaron posted:

They ruined Burn Notice too. It's incredibly aggravating.

It's not too aggravating when it's white text black outline, but gently caress services that insist on using yellow subs for some loving reason.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Arcsquad12 posted:

And like most films directed by visual effects wizards, it is a hot pile of garbage. Surprisingly good CGI and practical effects for a straight to DVD film, but the story it's built around is just awful. It's crazy that Ed Neumeier wrote all three films.

The guns used red LEDs for gunfire...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

LEDs are basically just entry level lasers.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

minato posted:

Same but for "A face like Dot Cotton licking piss off a nettle".

The density is what makes it so rewatchable to me. Almost like an MST3k episode.

The two specials, Rise of the Nutters and Spinners and Losers are fantastic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JEEVES420 posted:

The scene where the ratty guy disintegrates into the brain bugs is a really good gore effect.

And if you can't get a hold of The Thick of It, at the very least, watch In the Loop. It is pretty much a "best of" put into a feature film, with elements of what would become Veep mixed in. "Climb the mountain of conflict, you know what climb the mountain of conflict sounds like? You sound like a loving Nazi Julie Andrews."

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Apr 29, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
2 more things about Reefer Madnesss: I loved the rising action in the Peer Pressure Song with the way the layers built on the different types of peer pressure, with most of the rhythms becoming more complex, in a way that Mirrored Alan Cumming's fearmongering about Weed allowing for Grease-notes to be played - from Sally's"Come on Jimmy, Come on Jimmy, Suck it down for Sally!" to Jack's "Take a toke of t-stick" to May's "Take a smoke at first you'll choke but then it will be fine!" finally crashing with intense contrast at Ralph forming a demented, far simpler, bass line with "Doooon't beee a chiiiicken!"

I also love Jimmy's really goofy voice when talking about really dark stuff, like "I'll get cancer! Or hit by a train! And we'll be together in heaaaaaven!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

tweet my meat posted:

It's not too aggravating when it's white text black outline, but gently caress services that insist on using yellow subs for some loving reason.

I believe yellow subs are popular because it's the color least likely to end up blending into the background. I agree it looks ugly as sin though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just don't understand why the streaming services use their own subtitles when most films already have them implemented with better fonts.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Easier to have a single, built in codebase for handling subtitles and feed it the subtitle script for the movie than to try and integrate the various different styles of subtitles used across all media?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Easier to have a single, built in codebase for handling subtitles and feed it the subtitle script for the movie than to try and integrate the various different styles of subtitles used across all media?

Dunno, Kodi seems to handle it fine and that's opensource by a bunch of enthusiasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Ape of Naples posted:

Same but for "A face like Dot Cotton licking piss off a nettle".

The density is what makes it so rewatchable to me. Almost like an MST3k episode.

The two specials, Rise of the Nutters and Spinners and Losers are fantastic.

The episode when the inquiry gets announced doesn't get enough love. A whole episode of people running round with no idea what's going on, shouting and swearing and waving their arms madly.