Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mean if you're facing 40 shots a game there is a problem anyway right? I block about five a game and i'm just a lovely D-man. They need to help you help them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Anywhere from 20-40 shots is pretty standard for beer league. poo poo, one of my teams faced 60 in a game this season, we had 20 in the same game and we only lost by 1 goal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fortunately all those shots get them trained up pretty quick.

Goalie we started with last fall was a little new, not sure exactly when he put on the pads but it was all hand me down stuff and he used player skates for a while. He could stop most shots but just didn't have that flow that experienced goalies develop.

Fast forward 24 games where we give up 40 shots each time and now he's a goddamn brick wall. Which is good because we're all so bad we're only good for 1-3 goals per game.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
A few years ago we stopped calling a goalie because #1 he'd give up like the first 4 out of 6 shots every game, which sucks but fine. He'd actually be pretty solid after that but it was like he needed to get the pressure off of possibly winning by just blowing it up in the first 10 minutes or less.

#2 when it was his turn to bring beer he brought an 18 pack (30 being standard practice for our team) and on top of that after the game he showered and changed fairly quickly and just peaced out with the beer. Just hey see you guys next week and snagged up the beer on his way out of the locker room. There were probably only like 6 left but still, anytime you bring beer if you're leaving the rink before everybody else you take like 1 or 2 out and leave the rest. It has now become team beer.

As you can tell we take the beer part pretty seriously in our beer league.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
For us, whatever you brought that wasn't drank would be picked up by the guy who's bringing the next round, and added to whatever he brought next.
Somehow we then started a tradition of getting a different brand than the leftovers so that we'd have a variety (esp if it was a light leftover, then we'd get normal, and vice versa).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bigbillystyle posted:

A few years ago we stopped calling a goalie because #1 he'd give up like the first 4 out of 6 shots every game, which sucks but fine. He'd actually be pretty solid after that but it was like he needed to get the pressure off of possibly winning by just blowing it up in the first 10 minutes or less.

#2 when it was his turn to bring beer he brought an 18 pack (30 being standard practice for our team) and on top of that after the game he showered and changed fairly quickly and just peaced out with the beer. Just hey see you guys next week and snagged up the beer on his way out of the locker room. There were probably only like 6 left but still, anytime you bring beer if you're leaving the rink before everybody else you take like 1 or 2 out and leave the rest. It has now become team beer.

As you can tell we take the beer part pretty seriously in our beer league.

#1 you can forgive, but #2...

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Last season we had a thing where a game MVP was picked and they had to bring beer the next week. Most times it was IPAs or similar (this is NYC), and then one week we chose as MVP this old guy on the team cause he scored a nice deflection goal basically by standing where he needed to be and the puck went in off him, and he announced "warm Guinness for everyone!" and it was pretty funny. :shobon:

I didn't make the next game so I don't know if he made good on his promise.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

z0331 posted:

...Most times it was IPAs or similar...

:stonk:
I live in the hoppy Pacific Northwest and none of the teams I've played for have ever had IPAs for post-game. I love a good IPA, but it has to be one of the worst post-game beers.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Miller Highlife is the ideal post game beer of choice. Just enough flavor, but still a lager. Also $18 for a 30 pack. Can also be used in lieu of champagne for championship celebrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Loqieu posted:

Miller Highlife is the ideal post game beer of choice. Just enough flavor, but still a lager. Also $18 for a 30 pack. Can also be used in lieu of champagne for championship celebrations.

This.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Loqieu posted:

I want to play with your team.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Loqieu posted:

Now someone gets me.

I can't stand when guys bring in craft IPAs that are brutally hoppy right after hockey. I enjoy craft beer but after hockey I need water, but I want beer ... so give me something relatively light.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Verman posted:

I can't stand when guys bring in craft IPAs that are brutally hoppy right after hockey. I enjoy craft beer but after hockey I need water, but I want beer ... so give me something relatively light.

So much this, it's not the time to impress people of your knowledge of obscure beer. I need a light beer that I can drink, while talking about the game, and how much fun it was.

The Beer in Beer League is a supportive cast to the fellowship.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

One of the teams was sponsored by a craft brew place, so everybody got a free beer after the game, on both teams.

Too bad this was always at 11:00PM and I have to drive an hour to get home after games.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

When it's your turn, bring a craft lager or a pale ale. When it's someone else's turn, drink whatever they brought, be it Pliny the Elder or PBR. If they bring Natty Light, kick them off the team.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Keystone Light was probably the worst somebody brought, then he outdid himself with Milwaukee's Best.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Vargatron posted:

One of the teams was sponsored by a craft brew place, so everybody got a free beer after the game, on both teams.

Too bad this was always at 11:00PM and I have to drive an hour to get home after games.

Our whole league is sponsored by a local brewery but at least on my team nobody likes the free craft stuff (IMO it's OK but not what I want after hockey) and we buy Miller Light pitchers from the snackbar instead.

edit: It helps that our captain is a moneybags and buys the beer a lot.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
at a pond hockey thing sellouts and I went to a few years ago one of the guys we played with was chugging Jamisons after the game. I'm a party dude but gently caress that

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I think the usual for us is Hells Gate Lager.

Another team I play for the manager brings beer every game and has punch cards, he brings Bomber Brewing mix, ESB, Lager, IPA.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
My team plays at a high schools rink so we aren't allowed to drink after games, I feel like I'm missing out on the real beer league experience. There is a bar near by that we go to sometimes when our games aren't at 10 at night, and there's one guy who always walks away from our table and just does tons of shots before coming back to drink the beer he ordered. I always try to make sure I'm on the road and far away from there before he leaves that bar, which isn't hard since he closes the place down every time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

at a pond hockey thing sellouts and I went to a few years ago one of the guys we played with was chugging Jamisons after the game. I'm a party dude but gently caress that

he later offered to tattoo us so yeah come play on my pond hockey team if you are really good at hockey or ideas

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I have a jumbo jet cooler, so when it's my beer turn, I usually bring a 12 of Coors Light, a 12 of High Life, 6 IPAs, 6 Wits, 12 Ales, and a smattering of "huh, this looks neat"s. This sometimes gets altered on the heavy drinking team with 24 Molsons, 12 Labatts, 12 High Lifes, and a smattering of Mickeys hand grenades and whatever else is leftover from prior beer duties.

Also Flaming Hot Fritos, pretzel rods, and a thin crust pepperoni pizza cut into party squares if I'm hungry/charitable.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
I'm like one of five people that drinks before and after it's lame as hell

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm not a big post game drinker but I'll always sit around and drink a beer while getting changed. Unfortunately a lot of the rinks ban you from having beer in the locker rooms. Besides, I would rather drink at the bar after, its just getting people to go after a weeknight game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't drink at all but I'll bring the beer when the rotation says it's my turn.

(but I have to ask what people want because I don't know poo poo about beer)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Verman posted:

I'm not a big post game drinker but I'll always sit around and drink a beer while getting changed. Unfortunately a lot of the rinks ban you from having beer in the locker rooms. Besides, I would rather drink at the bar after, its just getting people to go after a weeknight game.

You mean the rink manager doesn't say "hey you can't have that here..." and turns around to walk out the door?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
No, as in the teams would get banned from the rink. I've had rink managers walk in and say "just pack the cans out" and I've had captains tell us not to bring beer because your team can be banned from the rink.

Some rinks are fine with it, others are very strict and have contacted the league commissioner over finding cans in the trash after a game. I know one of the rinks has a liquor license so that might be one aspect of it. The other being that there are a lot of kids and school teams there, but usually not at midnight on a weekday.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
My teams been warned twice about beer cans being found in one of the locker room trash cans and they asked us which locker room we used to try and narrow down the suspects. Allegedly I have some sort of black mark on my record with that league now since no one came forward for the first one, but that's probably just to try and scare us. The worst part was it wasn't even us. If I'm getting in trouble for beer at a beer league game, I better be getting beer out of the deal.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Given what I know about the organizational abilities of most rinks, I wouldn't worry about them keeping track of offenders longer than like, a month.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

We can't drink inside the rink, but nobody gives a gently caress about us drinking in the parking lot after games. It's a county rec center, but cops have driven by and just told us to "keep it in check".

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

I live in the hoppy Pacific Northwest and none of the teams I've played for have ever had IPAs for post-game. I love a good IPA, but it has to be one of the worst post-game beers.

...but gin after a game. :v:

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Actually that reminds me of a rink that I used to play at had a no outside beers allowed policy, but it was cool because after the game they had a guy with a cooler that came in there locker room and sold tall cans and Gatorade at a pretty decent price.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

johncho posted:

Actually that reminds me of a rink that I used to play at had a no outside beers allowed policy, but it was cool because after the game they had a guy with a cooler that came in there locker room and sold tall cans and Gatorade at a pretty decent price.

This is incredible

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Bradf0rd posted:

IPAs are gross and taste like drinking grass and I can't get away from them in Vancouver

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
It's just a phase, guys. Fret not, "ice" beers and reds and malt liquors will be back anytime now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I too shotgun a Colt 45 before stepping on the ice.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Where my teetotalers at

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I have a hard enough time staying on my skates when I'm sober

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
A good shot of fireball before the game. Then a beer or two afterwards. Cheaper the better. We usually do Labatts or Yeungling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I took painkillers and strapped my wrist up before the game tonight.

Went really well, didn't feel a thing.

Even when I accidentally plowed through the ref. Whoops, sorry bud.