Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Bates posted:

He's absolutely right. At the same time you can't sabotage Jimmy when he tries to change and then claim you'll be there for him if he tries to change. What is this change supposed to look like if it's not "Get a degree, get a job and be good at it."

Sure, except that Chuck takes it as an affront that Jimmy chose his beloved law. There probably would have been no problem if he'd gone in some other direction. "Oh, so you're going to be an accountant (electrical engineer, computer programmer, marine biologist, whatever)! Great!" Or if he had just stayed in the mailroom, which was already a change from being Slippin' Jimmy.

But then we wouldn't have a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Colonel Whitey posted:

Because he enjoys the hell out of it and it's the only thing he's good at.

Yeah, and for the record this is the same reason Walter White does what he does. He was never really doing it just to get money for his family. The Schwartzes could have taken care of that.

Steve2911 posted:

Is it ever stated whether he legally changed his name? From what I remember of BB Saul was more of a stage/working name.

He does have a couple of degrees on his wall in BB that say "Saul Goodman" on them, which might suggest he legally changed his name and requested new diplomas to reflect that. Or maybe he just made new ones himself for appearances' sake, who knows. I would actually tend to agree that it's just a working name. I can't imagine what could happen that would make him bother to amend it legally.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 28, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Jimmy didn't have to work at his borther's firm if if he didn't want to. This is what happens when you work with/for your relatives.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

If I had to choose, I would want to be Hamlin irl

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Hamlin is a classy fella!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it possible to practice law under an assumed name? I would think you would have to give your real name to the court.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, has the OTHER Hamlin (I assume Hamlin senior) ever get mentioned? I've seen every moment of every episode so far, just curious if I'm forgetting something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He is dead.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Is it possible to practice law under an assumed name? I would think you would have to give your real name to the court.

Just ask Jerry Callo.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Jimmy didn't have to work at his borther's firm if if he didn't want to. This is what happens when you work with/for your relatives.

I know a lot of people who went to law schools much more prestigious than the University of American Samoa who had trouble finding legal work.

With no experience (not even clinics) and a poo poo degree, it may have very well been his only choice aside from the random PD cases he picked up.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Apparently in Nevada, yes::

quote:

It is required by Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS 602.010) that every person doing business in the state of Nevada under an assumed or fictitious name that is different from the legal name of each person who owns an interest in the business must file with the County Clerk of each county in which the business is being conducted a certificate containing the information required by the above Nevada Revised Statute. The filing of a fictitious firm name does not give exclusive rights to the use of that name. An FFN filing is also required by the Business License office before issuing a business license under a fictitious name. A person doing business in this state without complying with the requirements of this chapter or having falsely filed a certificate of termination is guilty of a misdemeanor (NRS 602.090). Each individual business name must have a separate filing. Multiple fictitious names cannot be included on a single certificate.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I think this means that you have to file paperwork if you want your business to be named "The Strip Mall Lawyer Store" instead of "McGill/Wexler, LLC"

Where the fictitious name is that of the business. I doubt if even Nevada would allow someone to use their stage name in court.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Stage name probably not, but what about legally changed names?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Let's just put it this way: I hope they solve the Important Mystery of Jimmy's future legal name at some point in the series.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They should kill Jimmy off at the end of Season 4 without ever changing his name just to gently caress with everybody.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Data Graham posted:

They should kill Jimmy off at the end of Season 4 without ever changing his name just to gently caress with everybody.

Saul Goodman is an anagram of Kim Wexler 🤔

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

And then BB would be forever changed due to the time travel paradox.

Wow

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Data Graham posted:

The black & white scenes are flashbacks to a job Jimmy had as a teenager. They called him Gene because they didn't have any Jimmy name tags on his 1st day and he was too shy to correct anyone.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Javid posted:

I feel like Jimmy could probably rein it in ENOUGH to have done alright at HHM or D&M if Chuck hadn't been actively working against him by every means available.

He became a lawyer in the first place because he wanted to be like his big brother. A less evil Chuck could've used that to try and mold Jimmy into a "good" lawyer; let him join HHM at the bottom of the ladder and sink or swim on his own merits like any other random fresh law school grad. Jimmy flaming out at D&M was in the direct shadow of learning of Chuck's betrayal, as well as Chuck still giving him grief and loving with Kim, both of which torched that big piece of his motivation to straighten out.

It's POSSIBLE he would've gone full Saul eventually regardless, but Chuck didn't even give him a fair shot to TRY, so all that follows is ultimately down to him.

I think the Davis and Maine arc showed us that even without Chuck actively trying to gently caress him over, Jimmy just can't help but flip that switch.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, has the OTHER Hamlin (I assume Hamlin senior) ever get mentioned? I've seen every moment of every episode so far, just curious if I'm forgetting something.

First mention is when Kim quits HHM and Howard mentions him wanting to add another Hamlin onto the name of the firm.

Cojawfee posted:

He is dead.

Really? I never picked up on it. I kind of just thought he's like the Senior Partner at the firm that maybe comes in whenever the gently caress he feels like, but does no actual work.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Herv posted:

And then BB would be forever changed due to the time travel paradox.

Wow

No then their third, never mentioned brother, Saul shows up at the funeral for all of 5 minutes, then say "welp bye!"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Saul was Jimmy's first dust filter for a Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hello, My name is Saul McGill. After my brothers Chuck and Jimmy died, I've decided to become a lawyer in their honor. Since "good man" could be used as a descriptor for both of them, I am hereby changing my name to Saul Goodman. Though, I'm kind of a lovely dude, so I'm going to be a shady type of lawyer. Money laundering, meth deals, you know.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Cojawfee posted:

Hello, My name is Saul McGill. After my brothers Chuck and Jimmy died, I've decided to become a lawyer in their honor. Since "good man" could be used as a descriptor for both of them, I am hereby changing my name to Saul Goodman. Though, I'm kind of a lovely dude, so I'm going to be a shady type of lawyer. Money laundering, meth deals, you know.

"My name is Saul Goodman. And I am the slipperiest man alive. When I was Jimmy McGill I found out my brother taped me saying something incriminating. I went to jail for breaking and entering his home. Then the resulting fallout made it impossible to use my real name. To the outside world I am an ordinary ambulance chasing lawyer, but secretly I use my ability to skirt the law to help criminals and help others like me. And one day, I'll manage a Cinnabon and constantly look over my shoulder. I am Slippin' Jimmy.

Javid posted:

He became a lawyer in the first place because he wanted to be like his big brother.

I feel like it's more that he became a lawyer to please and get approval from Chuck, and that that was never going to happen anyway because I don't think Chuck was ever going to let go of the past. Which makes all of this that much more tragic.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Jimmy's not going to give up his law license. He'll take the jail time, and in those 18 months or so in prison he'll make a lot of shady connections and decide they're not all bad guys, kind of like himself! and just could use some help avoiding jail for crimes that really don't hurt anyone, or whatever. Or he'll realize how much money he can make working with these guys. While he's in jail, Kim'll stick with him until he starts making it obvious he's going to be working with criminals when he gets out, and she'll just pack up and move. She'll be gone when Jimmy gets out, so he stays in ABQ hoping someday she'll return. He changes his name so his old people clients won't make the connection, and so he can go back to being elder law lawyer Jimmy McGill when Kim comes back.

That's my take, anyway.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wait, you can still practice law after doing time?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

Only if you go by a pseudonym.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Wafflecopper posted:

Depends on the crime and whether or not it relates to the criminal's lawyering abilities. Most state Bar Associations have a rule about felony=disbarment and that got referenced in the most recent episode but for the most part disbarment only happens when someone is specifically being a lovely or corrupt lawyer above anything else

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Golli posted:

Only if you go by a pseudonym.

You have to practice law under a pun name.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

Depends on the crime and whether or not it relates to the criminal's lawyering abilities. Most state Bar Associations have a rule about felony=disbarment and that got referenced in the most recent episode but for the most part disbarment only happens when someone is specifically being a lovely or corrupt lawyer above anything else

Well uh part of the crime is that he hosed with lawyerings

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Jimmy will go to prison, where he'll meet Jimmy In-'N-Out for the first time. Deciding that having two Jimmys on the same cell block is too confusing, Jimmy will start going by Saul Goodman, and the rest is history.

drunken officeparty posted:

Well uh part of the crime is that he hosed with lawyerings

Saul will argue in front of the state bar association that the disgraced lawyer that was Jimmy McGill died in prison, and that the man who stands before them today is in fact upstanding citizen Saul Goodman, a distinct entity.....from a certain point of view. The bar association will reluctantly allow Saul to continue practicing law in New Mexico, as, try as they might, they are simply unable to find any logic or philosophical flaws whatsoever in his argument.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 29, 2017

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
No way will Jimmy be found guilty of a felony.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

Jimmy will go to prison, where he'll meet Jimmy In-'N-Out for the first time. Deciding that having two Jimmys on the same cell block is too confusing, Jimmy will start going by Saul Goodman, and the rest is history.

Saul will argue in front of the state bar association that the disgraced lawyer that was Jimmy McGill died in prison, and that the man who stands before them today is in fact upstanding citizen Saul Goodman, a distinct entity.....from a certain point of view. The bar association will reluctantly allow Saul to continue practicing law in New Mexico, as, try as they might, they are simply unable to find any logic or philosophical flaws whatsoever in his argument.

ARTICLE 4, OF THE ARTICLES OF CONFEDERATION,

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

No way will Jimmy be found guilty of a felony.

The only thing he'll be found guilty of by the geriatric jury is being a good boy who loves his brother and appreciates the delicious homestyle cooking of Cracker Barrel.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

The only thing he'll be found guilty of by the geriatric jury is being a good boy who loves his brother and appreciates the delicious homestyle cooking of Cracker Barrel.

I think we know he doesn't lose his law liscence since he's practicing on BB.

I'd be willing to put some skin in the game: I posit Chuck being a wackjob somehow leads to weakening of the case against him (either due to not being able to make it to the courtroom, or a freakout on the stand).

Since we're debating a legal show, 10 bucks to the ACLU if I'm wrong.

Anyone want to take this action?|

(Gotta propose your own theory, not just say NU-UH)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wafflecopper posted:

How do you think one becomes a criminal lawyer?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I hope he wins and one of the jurors later confides in him, "It's not that we thought you were innocent. It's that we thought Chuck was a gigantic rear end in a top hat."

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

can't wait for the scene where all the lights in the courtroom go off and the phones are collected and Chuck walks in to the Imperial March

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Chadzok posted:

can't wait for the scene where all the lights in the courtroom go off and the phones are collected and Chuck walks in to the Imperial March

I've said this a few times, but there is *zero* chance of Chuck getting into the courthouse w/o going through a metal detector.

Even if they agree to hold the meeting in the judge's chambers, which might not have a computer (Judges hate computers) he's going through a metal detector.

Now, maybe he puts on his tinfoil suit and can withstand the lights and metal detecting, but I suspect that the stress of being cross examined by ol' Slippin Jimmy will make him flip.

Either that, or he never is able to testify and the prosecutor drops it down to a misdemeanor to get it pled out. (Prosecutors who don't go easy on lawyers *will* go easy on a skilled litigant in a case where the main witness is suddenly refusing to testify.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, please excuse my client's eccentricity. Yes, he requires the overhead lights be turned off. And yes, you had to give up your phones, your key fobs, and the court stenographer is writing this all by hand. And yes, he is wearing a suit lined with tinfoil so that the invisible waves of electricity don't turn him into a seizing, weeping sack of neuroses. But please don't let that influence your judgement, he's a totally sane man and everything he says about his brother is definitely true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
So, any chance Hamlin would put some pressure on Chuck to drop the charges? He agreed at the time of the break-in that he was a witness, but that was a spur-of-the-moment thing. On reflection, he might very well realize that if it goes to trial, the best-case scenario for Chuck personally is probably that he ends looking like a looney-tunes vindictive rear end. Casting myself as a member of the public who would see news reports about this, my reaction would be to leave a comment on a message board to the effect that I wish both parties could somehow lose the case and that the world would be a better place if these two sorry-rear end brothers would kill each other in a duel, and if I'm looking for a lawyer in the future, I'm not looking for any name that starts with "Mc." That's not something Hamlin wants when there's really no potential upside from this, no matter how unlikely, for him personally or for the firm as a whole.

• Locked thread