Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Wilson's Heart is out and, from a narrative/atmosphere standpoint, sounds amazing: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/67hzcb/wilsons_heart_review_megathread/

Time to wait for a sale!

e: also wow, hadn't seen this retractable cable spool thing.
Looks pretty interesting, that kind of solution was my first thought when it came to cable management issues. They're up on Amazon all over the place (UK link): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XT2XLZ5

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

El Grillo posted:

e: also wow, hadn't seen this retractable cable spool thing.
Looks pretty interesting, that kind of solution was my first thought when it came to cable management issues. They're up on Amazon all over the place (UK link): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XT2XLZ5

Of course these might help if you feel the cord, but won't help that after sufficent spinning the cord will get shorter and shorter due to kinking up. If you run advanced settings with SteamVR you can find out which way you need to spin to undo the kinds and then do that during breaks in your play session however.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Wow, UploadVR seemed down on the game after previewing it and now are giving it a 9/10. Ready for some more cool VR single player experiences.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ok, WWII VR Mech's in VR? Yes please!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Who knows if it'll be any good or not, but on a conceptual level that sounds rad as gently caress.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

When are we getting Vox Machinae already

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Wilson's Heart is cool. Sort of like a good point & click game. Good to finally have a native game to point to with a reasonable campaign.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Fooz posted:

Wilson's Heart is cool. Sort of like a good point & click game. Good to finally have a native game to point to with a reasonable campaign.

Point and click is infinitely more appealing to me when I am inhabiting the world. Someone make Grim Fandango VR.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

AndrewP posted:

Point and click is infinitely more appealing to me when I am inhabiting the world. Someone make Grim Fandango VR.

I'm imagining how good an Artifex Mundi hidden object/point & click adventure game will be in VR.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Wilson's Heart is really good.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Finally bought a stand for the Rift, after all these years :v:

Also got the Batman VR thingy, now a disclaimer: I know nothing about Batman and haven't played any of the recent games or seen the films or anything.
So judging the game on those merits, it's short but very very sweet. There's some voodoo going on here because a lot of the time the screen door effect was totally absent, or it felt that way. Very impressive visuals. It's essentially a series of puzzles, all simple enough but nice.
The ending though is off the scale, I won't spoil it but... at the end you are in a prison cell and the scene fucks around with you in a way only VR can, when you turn around in the cell different stuff appears in a very cool way, all the while there is a mirror in the cell and you can see yourself - it's really really cool

It's pretty expensive for what it is but it could be the most impressive thing I've seen so far while it lasted.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just installed the latest Doom 3 VR mod (Alpha 21) and I swear running around flailing my hysterical eldritch noodle arms on my wacky full body avatar is the best loving thing in the world. Bonus points that the game defaulted to a weird remote control movement thing so I could watch my dude run off into the middle distance waving his arms in the sky

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Face Your Fears is very unpleasant, and I am a huge pussy

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So apparently the TPcast can drive 6 headsets at a time. At least the business edition can.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Gen 2 is gonna be glorious

8one6
May 20, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Just installed the latest Doom 3 VR mod (Alpha 21) and I swear running around flailing my hysterical eldritch noodle arms on my wacky full body avatar is the best loving thing in the world. Bonus points that the game defaulted to a weird remote control movement thing so I could watch my dude run off into the middle distance waving his arms in the sky

You reminded me of Doom 3 VR so I went to check it back out.

THEY FIXED THE AMD BLACKSCREEN ISSUE!!!

I haven't played this since it came out. This rocks in VR!

EDIT (Content):
Looks like the Vive is also getting eye tracking care of the Vive-X program.

What do you think the odds are of it being integrated into the Vive 2? (Viive?)

8one6 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 28, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

8one6 posted:

So apparently the TPcast can drive 6 headsets at a time. At least the business edition can.
Not 6 headsets at a time, it's still one headset per transmitter/receiver pair, but up to six pairs can operate within the same room without interfering with each other.

8one6 posted:

What do you think the odds are of it being integrated into the Vive 2? (Viive?)
I'd put my bets on almost certainly, assuming it works well.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 28, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Someone who makes soundboxing levels please help

Do you really have to do it note for note in realtime, there's no way to go at say quarter speed or move the balls once they are placed?! I found you can rewind/fast forward but it's still a gigantic pain in the rear end to tune individual notes that were slightly off; there's GOT to be a better way

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 28, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
BTW subnautica did a update and a long-awaited VR pass; they fixed the kb+mouse thing and the docking teleport issue and a slew of other VR related bugs. If it's been sitting in your backlog waiting for a fix, the day has arrived.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bhodi posted:

BTW subnautica did a update and a long-awaited VR pass; they fixed the kb+mouse thing and the docking teleport issue and a slew of other VR related bugs. If it's been sitting in your backlog waiting for a fix, the day has arrived.

It's really good, even if just to chill in the ocean for a bit

8one6
May 20, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Someone who makes soundboxing levels please help

Do you really have to do it note for note in realtime, there's no way to go at say quarter speed or move the balls once they are placed?! I found you can rewind/fast forward but it's still a gigantic pain in the rear end to tune individual notes that were slightly off; there's GOT to be a better way

Nope. It's the only way. Get comfortable with the edit function if you want your beatmaps to be perfect.
Honestly, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If you can still groove to the beat and work up a sweat the beat map is fine.
Unless you're that giant who makes beatmaps that you'd need 5 elbows to 100% the challenge, then you can get hosed.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

:stare::fh:

This is not getting enough attention. Holy crap this game looks amazing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

:stare::fh:

This is not getting enough attention. Holy crap this game looks amazing.

Saw a vid the other day and yeah. I want this so much holy poo poo.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Just want to say that I built a PC with a gtx 1080 and bought the rift with touch. Played Robo Recall as the first VR experience I've had.

Holy
gently caress

What I just experienced was out of this world. I can't believe it.

It's been 20 minutes since I stopped and I swear I have an afterglow. It's like, I don't' desire to play any games any more because I'm satiated and totally satisfied. The dopamine....

Tenacious J fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 29, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Tenacious J posted:

Just want to say that I built a PC with a gtx 1080 and bought the rift with touch. Played Robo Recall as the first VR experience I've had.

Holy
gently caress

What I just experienced was out of this world. I can't believe it.

It's been 20 minutes since I stopped and I swear I have an afterglow. It's like, I don't' desire to play any games any more because I'm satiated and totally satisfied. The dopamine....

Now go and get Onward on SteamVR

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

In my day we played unity shovelware and we liked it drat it! Seriously glad that VR is slowly escaping embarrassing content poverty. Should be a slew of Oculus Studios stuff and Fallout 4 by the end of the year.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm crossing my fingers super hard for From Other Suns; I'm really hoping they focus on replayability so it's not just something you play for 10 hours then it's done

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades had a big content update yesterday, they revamped MEATS UI and added a ton of new MEATS challenges, added a global leaderboard and added a bunch of guns including the Kriss Vector 45. Its insane and totally the best thing to do in the akimbo GUN KATA mode in MEATS. Dual weilding the kriss vector shooting a bajillion rounds per second into the gun kata targets is a pretty incredible experience.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fooz posted:

In my day we played unity shovelware and we liked it drat it! Seriously glad that VR is slowly escaping embarrassing content poverty. Should be a slew of Oculus Studios stuff and Fallout 4 by the end of the year.

Bro have you seen Titans of Space!!!!!

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Hidden Gem of the week: Warpaint

It's a VR table top turn based strategy game that lets you go from viewing the game in god mode to scaling yourself down to an individual game piece. It's amazing, and I'd love to see some 4x strategy games in VR after playing this.

In addition to having various game pieces, you also have catapults that you fire using motion controls. I love the catapult mechanic in this game.

Honestly I am very pleased with the variety of VR games that are out there despite the reputation of VR having nothing but wave shooters.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 29, 2017

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

From Other Suns is procedural IIRC, which I was dubious about but makes sense in the lasting appeal front. The tested guys were nuts about it too.

Speaking of tabletop, Brass Tactics looks great, want a release date on that one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQupOdSq_z8

Seems like this next month's big release is Star Trek which I'm not hyped for, Ubisoft keeps making VR games out of stuff where VR is nothing but set dressing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

It's Star Trek: Artemis, but in VR.

Like, it's exactly what I wanted the second I learned about Artemis. I honestly feel sorry for the Artemis devs because the only thing it will have going for it now is it's the non-VR bridge sim game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't really see that about the Ubi games at all, seems like they have a pretty good grasp of VR to me. Werewolves Within is kinda brilliant as an implementation of a social game that doesn't really work on computers otherwise (or at least, other versions of electronic mafia are a materially different game). I don't think Eagle Flight is a particularly good game, but its the kind of game that is only meaningful in VR, if it was just first person bird game on a flat screen there would be no reason to care about it.

Star Trek is similar to those two games in a weird way, in that it is a social game that also has that weird wish fulfillment element of actually sitting on the bridge of a starship and working together like they do on the show. In a way that Artemis doesn't quite scratch unless you're the beautiful kind of weirdo that built a replica Enterprise bridge in your basement to play Artemis in.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

8one6 posted:

It's Star Trek: Artemis, but in VR.

Like, it's exactly what I wanted the second I learned about Artemis. I honestly feel sorry for the Artemis devs because the only thing it will have going for it now is it's the non-VR bridge sim game.

And Pulsar is becoming better than Artemis, both inside and outside VR :sigh:

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I don't really see that about the Ubi games at all, seems like they have a pretty good grasp of VR to me. Werewolves Within is kinda brilliant as an implementation of a social game that doesn't really work on computers otherwise (or at least, other versions of electronic mafia are a materially different game). I don't think Eagle Flight is a particularly good game, but its the kind of game that is only meaningful in VR, if it was just first person bird game on a flat screen there would be no reason to care about it.

Star Trek is similar to those two games in a weird way, in that it is a social game that also has that weird wish fulfillment element of actually sitting on the bridge of a starship and working together like they do on the show. In a way that Artemis doesn't quite scratch unless you're the beautiful kind of weirdo that built a replica Enterprise bridge in your basement to play Artemis in.

I mean that as in I've played mafia without VR and theres similar games to Star Trek on mobile.

I could see star trek being better than I'm picturing though.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 30, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

It looks fun as hell to me but I've been a Trek nerd since I was 5 so I'm biased as gently caress.
I watched this (Trigger Warning: You tube personality) and I decided that I would pay full price for the game.
Now I get if that doesn't look like fun to you (I couldn't give a poo poo about certain game genres) but for me it fires the wish fulfillment part of my brain hard.
Like, I'm that rat in skinner box dot jpeg and the idea of a Star Trek VR bridge sim is the button.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fooz posted:

I mean that as in I've played mafia without VR and theres similar games to Star Trek on mobile.

I'm not saying those games couldn't exist outside of VR, heck there's already a licensed Star Trek game that's pretty dang similar, Star Trek Bridge Commander. I'm just saying that the social element of the game is enhanced by the presence that only VR brings and its not really fair to write that off as set dressing for a game that's primarily social in the first place.

Like I said, you could go play forums mafia or get on BYOND and play some sick Dragonball Z/Naruto themed mafia game right now, but its a materially different game just because of the nature of the interaction. Ubi's Werewolves game is pretty much the closest you can get to sitting down IRL and playing a game of real rear end mafia.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'll probably get it. I skipped Rick and Morty because that price is wack.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fooz posted:

I've played board games without VR, so tabletop sim is worthless. There are similar games to Onward dating back to PS1, why would I play it?

I've shot real guns, why play H3? There are similar games to Gorn made in Flash. The list goes on. VR is transformative in ways unreplicable by prior hardware. Literally playing the Serious Sam or Doom 3 vr ports are like playing whole new games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Wilson's Heart is very well done so far from what I've played but maybe don't start playing at 3 am Jesus Christ