Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
So many of the points of interest on the map in the Witcher 3 just aren't important though, so you might was well look into them while doing quests, as opposed to exploring fully then starting to do quests.

It could possibly be shortened to "If you start to or don't want to feel bored or burnt out exploring question marks on the map, do the quests, they are fun and have dialogue and context."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I played witcher 3 by turning off the question marks on the mini map and it made for a much better experience imo

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST
Does anyone have anything for Diablo 3 on PS4, please?

I finally got around to getting it on sale yesterday and I've never played it before. I did play a load of D2 back in the day so I'm familiar with the concept.

Or is it just as simple as "kill everything, make numbers go up"?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

AlMac posted:

I finally got around to getting it on sale yesterday and I've never played it before. I did play a load of D2 back in the day so I'm familiar with the concept.

Kill poo poo, try different skill combos, have fun

The first few runs through it basically serve as a tutorial and introduction and nightmare and torment or whatever are where it actually comes into its own

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tylana posted:

So many of the points of interest on the map in the Witcher 3 just aren't important though, so you might was well look into them while doing quests, as opposed to exploring fully then starting to do quests.

It could possibly be shortened to "If you start to or don't want to feel bored or burnt out exploring question marks on the map, do the quests, they are fun and have dialogue and context."

I think this is the best approach, because it lowers the chances of you accidentally heading to a ? that you're too low level for, which means you'll inevitably forget to go back and do it when you're appropriately leveled, because it's no longer a ? on the map.

Not that that happened to me or anything

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AlMac posted:

Start on Seasons, ignore the story and go right to Adventure Mode, level up in Hard rifts at first because normal is literally for people who have never played a video game before.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Start on Seasons, ignore the story and go right to Adventure Mode, level up in Hard rifts at first because normal is literally for people who have never played a video game before.

Normal mode really is bafflingly easy.
Playing through the story once is worthwhile though, you just need to start at hard and bump the difficulty up every Act or two.

I think Adventure Mode is unlocked by finishing Act 5. That's where the real game begins, how long you spend on the treadmill is up to you.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 28, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you start a Seasonal character then Adventure Mode is open to you right from the very beginning.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'll third the "play on at least hard" advice. I'm a babby who plays everything on easy, and even for me, D3 on normal is so easy it's boring.

Also you get, I think, a 75% XP boost when you jump to hard? So playing on normal is both boring AND slow. Don't do it, except for maybe the extremely early levels where you're a naked baby with no powers and the occasional enemy might actually be able to kill you on hard.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Even with your garbage starter gear, Hard is not really harder than Normal. There's no situation where you shouldn't be playing on at least Hard, even in Hardcore.

On that note, when you first go into Adventure mode at level 1, go to town and talk to one of your mercenaries and steal their weapon. It'll boost your level 1 damage a ton.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

I had only played about 20 minutes on normal so I took the advice from here and restarted on hard.

I'm playing on the regular campaign first just to chill out and see the story, but I'll take everyone's advice into account when I start adventure mode later. Thanks!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

PMush Perfect posted:

I'll take a crack at finding a good middle-ground for the page.

Edit
Mostly just sorted Jade Star's version and merged some of the tips. This is the version on the wiki now.

Yeah this looks like a pretty good effort to summarize/categorize.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AlMac posted:

I had only played about 20 minutes on normal so I took the advice from here and restarted on hard.

I'm playing on the regular campaign first just to chill out and see the story, but I'll take everyone's advice into account when I start adventure mode later. Thanks!

You can change difficulty by going to the character select screen, you don't have to restart. In fact, as your character gets stronger, you will want to keep raising difficulty.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AlMac posted:

Until you hit the level cap, you're pretty good just picking whatever equipment gives the biggest increase to your DPS. Don't bother crafting any equipment unless you're way past the level of whatever's in that equipment slot. Pick whatever skills you're having fun with; you don't have to worry about builds too much until you're in the Torment difficulties.

If enemies are taking too long to kill, lower the difficulty. If they're too easy and you aren't gaining levels fast enough, raise the difficulty.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 29, 2017

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'll third the "play on at least hard" advice. I'm a babby who plays everything on easy, and even for me, D3 on normal is so easy it's boring.

Also you get, I think, a 75% XP boost when you jump to hard? So playing on normal is both boring AND slow. Don't do it, except for maybe the extremely early levels where you're a naked baby with no powers and the occasional enemy might actually be able to kill you on hard.

As a personal rule, I start melee characters and Wizard on Hard, while DH and WD start on normal until I can slap some legacy legendary equipment on them and then immediately go to Hard. Playing on Normal is purely a waste of time in every other case (besides character #1, act 1, level 1).

EDIT: combat roll is your friend and it is console exclusive so you may as well make the most of it. It's not like Dark Souls where rolling gives you invincibility frames, but it does boost your evasion for a second, and more importantly will stop you from getting gank-squad'd by melee mobs.

im cute fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 29, 2017

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Quoting myself because I totally forgot to tag you in my post last time, Centipeed.

Thanks! I've updated the Dead Space page.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The Star Ocean series is infamous for its fuckery, especially when it comes to crafting, so does anyone have any tips for Star Ocean 5?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything for Ghost Recon: Wildlands?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything for Ghost Recon: Wildlands?

The HTI heavy sniper can take down generators and jammers. Don't bother upgrading the noise level of the drone or the time you can stay alive when downed, carry capacity for most special grenades isn't much worth either since you can restock everywhere. Nightvision is sadly superior to thermal, since thermal is only a cheap post-shader and doesn't let you look through foliage for example.
Try to get an underbarrel grenade launcher early, since it is the fastest way to take down helicopters and vehicles. Be careful with mines, usually it's a civilian who will trigger it. The last two difficulties are the only ones worthwhile. The hardest mode removes some helping features, most notable the orange areas on the map for hostiles that aren't spotted. Silencers are not 100% silent. If you fire close to an enemy, they will still hear it. Try to get a few good weapons such as the Tar21 or the L85A2 early, the inventory tells you where to find them. Watch out for Unidad, they spawn infinitive once you're entering "hunted" mode unless you can escape.

special tip: mute every voice audio to avoid brain damage. You can also skip every cutscene and make up your own dialogue when interrogating. That way the game is much more fun.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

haldolium posted:

special tip: mute every voice audio to avoid brain damage. You can also skip every cutscene and make up your own dialogue when interrogating. That way the game is much more fun.

...huh. How hard is it to mod ubisoft games?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Anything for Sniper Elite 4?

Meanwhile, for Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 I have some advice:

The Knight 101 semi-automatic sniper rifle with a silencer will be your bread and butter from the moment you unlock it till the endgame. It's significantly better than just about every other rifle you have available, mostly for the fact that it shoots fast enough to take down a group of two enemies without triggering a base-wide alarm if you're fast on the trigger.

Damage is, for the most part, an irrelevant stat for snipers - you'll be killing everyone but armored enemies in one hit, and for them you can use armor piercing or explosive ammo.

Armored enemies have a facemask, but the back of their heads are uncovered. One shot there, even with a pistol, will be an instant kill.

Unlock the skill that reduces the sound radius of sprinting and walking ASAP - it will essentially allow you to sprint and walk with total impunity.

The night and thermal vision goggles are extraordinarily helpful, and nab the NVG/thermal for your drone as soon as possible - makes spotting enemies way easier.

Cheat in some resources and ignore all the points of interest on the map. They're completely irrelevant and there's precisely one open world sidequest - kill a group of 3-4 goons around a fire, save some civvies, get like 3000ish trading goods. Not bad money, but by no means worth going out of your way for.

The game is a shittier MGSV - the open world is essentially irrelevant and you should spend as little time in it as possible.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 30, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

haldolium posted:

The HTI heavy sniper can take down generators and jammers. Don't bother upgrading the noise level of the drone or the time you can stay alive when downed, carry capacity for most special grenades isn't much worth either since you can restock everywhere. Nightvision is sadly superior to thermal, since thermal is only a cheap post-shader and doesn't let you look through foliage for example.
Try to get an underbarrel grenade launcher early, since it is the fastest way to take down helicopters and vehicles. Be careful with mines, usually it's a civilian who will trigger it. The last two difficulties are the only ones worthwhile. The hardest mode removes some helping features, most notable the orange areas on the map for hostiles that aren't spotted. Silencers are not 100% silent. If you fire close to an enemy, they will still hear it. Try to get a few good weapons such as the Tar21 or the L85A2 early, the inventory tells you where to find them. Watch out for Unidad, they spawn infinitive once you're entering "hunted" mode unless you can escape.

Thanks for the tips--you're not kidding about the grenade launcher, it makes vehicles go from "unbearable nuisance" to "one-shot chumps" which I'm fine with because they were really really annoying before. I'm getting farcry 4 flashbacks.

The Iron Rose posted:

Cheat in some resources and ignore all the points of interest on the map. They're completely irrelevant and there's precisely one open world sidequest - kill a group of 3-4 goons around a fire, save some civvies, get like 3000ish trading goods. Not bad money, but by no means worth going out of your way for.

The game is a shittier MGSV - the open world is essentially irrelevant and you should spend as little time in it as possible.

I'm feeling like this could apply to wildlands too, actually

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anything essential I should know for Expeditions: Conquistador?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Anything essential I should know for Expeditions: Conquistador?

It's been a while so my memory of the game isn't perfect, but:

The most important thing early on is to pay close attention to the traits of the people you're hiring. It's almost impossible to hire a party whose traits match perfectly, but try your best--having a constantly squabbling party will make the game significantly harder.

When picking characters to hire, racist is IMO one of the worst traits--it clashes with both open-minded characters and is going to cause problems with any native characters in your party. Pious characters are not as bad as racist ones, but can also cause problems when dealing with the natives. Narcissistic is also a bad trait to have on more than one character; Narcissistic characters lose morale if anyone gets promoted higher than them, which is guaranteed to happen if you've got more than one.

Leadership is probably the most important stat to give your expedition leader, and Diplomacy is important too. If you want to go full-conquest Diplomacy is less a big deal though. It might help if you decide early on how you intend to treat the natives and build your group accordingly, favoring Diplomacy for a peaceful run and Tactics for a conquest run.

Getting robbed when you camp is a big threat; always camp off-road and make sure your guard rating is really high. Even then you'll still get robbed while camping occasionally--what you lose is always a percentage of what you're carrying so don't run around carrying tons of valuables all the time if you can avoid it.

Also when camping, wound treatment > food preparation > herbalism.

Take 2 doctors, so if one of them gets wounded the other can do treatment.

There are factional conflicts in the game and while you can sometimes play both sides of the field to a point, there are clear points of no return. Usually those involve direct violence against the other faction so they're reasonably well telegraphed.

Lastly, though the temptation is there and there's always more to buy, try not to spend too many of your valuables if you care about having as good an ending as possible. How much loot you bring back to Europe is a big part of your final rating. Theoretically all resources are infinite but the grinding needed to get more is tedious at best.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Another good tip for Wildlands You can blow up the target vehicle in convoy missions and still complete them, you just get half the reward. So feel free to go hog wild unless you really,really want that gasoline or something.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Anybody got tips for Infinite Space for the DS?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

C.M. Kruger posted:

Anybody got tips for Infinite Space for the DS?

Give real flowers

Go back to get the girl.

They'll make sense when they happen.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

You guys were not wrong about Diablo 3. I blew through Act 1 on hard with my Wizard and ramped it up to Expert part way though Act 2. I'm still slicing through enemy packs like they aren't even there.

The Wizard beam mechanics are extremely satisfying. I feel like one of the tripods from War of the Worlds.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AlMac posted:

You guys were not wrong about Diablo 3. I blew through Act 1 on hard with my Wizard and ramped it up to Expert part way though Act 2. I'm still slicing through enemy packs like they aren't even there.

The Wizard beam mechanics are extremely satisfying. I feel like one of the tripods from War of the Worlds.

Yeah. I never managed to use anything but Disintegrate.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fortunately, Disintergrate is one of the core spells of the best wizard build right now, and Wizards are really strong to boot.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Quick tip for Persona 5:

- Almost all of the text messages you get will be people asking to hang out or go to dungeons except for the ones from the Moon arcana confidant - he will alert you to new quests to pursue, and you have to read these messages before they disappear, or you will lose access to these quests permanently.

(this is doubly frustrating because I missed one that gave me access to a book, the last one I needed before reading every book in the game)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anything for Assassin's Creed: Rogue?

I'm mostly interesting in finding out whether the game's missions take you to every settlement on the map. Gotta know whether I need to explore them all manually, or just wait to get there on my own.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Quick tip for Persona 5:

- Almost all of the text messages you get will be people asking to hang out or go to dungeons except for the ones from the Moon arcana confidant - he will alert you to new quests to pursue, and you have to read these messages before they disappear, or you will lose access to these quests permanently.

(this is doubly frustrating because I missed one that gave me access to a book, the last one I needed before reading every book in the game)

Please dont ignore your anime friends, even if its Mishima.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Xander77 posted:

Anything for Assassin's Creed: Rogue?

I'm mostly interesting in finding out whether the game's missions take you to every settlement on the map. Gotta know whether I need to explore them all manually, or just wait to get there on my own.

Haven't played the game in a couple of years, but: A lot of the same things for Black Flag apply here- namely ship upgrades are invaluable for quality of life while travelling. If you want to do the fleet missions, make it a point to add all of the Man O'Wars and Frigates to your fleet.

And no, the main quest won't take you to every single settlement in the game. There'll be a lot of places you'll have to explore in your own time if you go for full synch.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The game makes a hullabaloo about the system for sneaking up on assassins trying to kill you, but iirc, it's also perfectly valid, and often much faster, to just run head first into ambushes and counter attack to take them out before they hurt you.

One of the fleet mission rewards is a jaunty captain's outfit, and I think the one you get for completing all of them (which I wasn't able to do before finishing the game) is an even jauntier admiral's outfit so you should play that minigame if you enjoy being jaunty.

Or, I guess, to rephrase this in the form of an actual tip, if you want the admiral's outfit, make sure to do the fleet missions as often as you can because it is likely you will run out of game content before you finish them otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One of the best new features in AC: Rogue is you can just buy goddamn animal pelts. No more hunting for that one last animal skin you need.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ainsley McTree posted:

The game makes a hullabaloo about the system for sneaking up on assassins trying to kill you, but iirc, it's also perfectly valid, and often much faster, to just run head first into ambushes and counter attack to take them out before they hurt you.

One of the fleet mission rewards is a jaunty captain's outfit, and I think the one you get for completing all of them (which I wasn't able to do before finishing the game) is an even jauntier admiral's outfit so you should play that minigame if you enjoy being jaunty.

Or, I guess, to rephrase this in the form of an actual tip, if you want the admiral's outfit, make sure to do the fleet missions as often as you can because it is likely you will run out of game content before you finish them otherwise.

This is correct, to the tune of several days. Also don't bother trying to get everything in the office before you complete the main game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Discendo Vox posted:

This is correct, to the tune of several days. Also don't bother trying to get everything in the office before you complete the main game.
Can I avoid IRL entirely except for the mandatory sections (and in the game), or are there actual gameplay benefits to going around the Abstergo offices and doing tedious minigames?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xander77 posted:

Can I avoid IRL entirely except for the mandatory sections (and in the game), or are there actual gameplay benefits to going around the Abstergo offices and doing tedious minigames?

Just lore stuff like emails and Abstergo-censored pitches about previous Assassins being turned into Animus Experiences. Iirc, there is a stretch of gameplay near the end where you have to do the 'IRL' hacking minigames though, so it's worth doing some for practice. They're not hard, it's just easier knowing just what you need to do and get it done with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Two Worlds that's not on the wiki?