Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hahaha I love how guard/civilian chatter points out that 'nonlethal' combat is still gonna gently caress someone up for life. The dialogue in this game is actually pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Sit in a pew in Sapienza for a while if you haven't already.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Sit in a pew in Sapienza for a while if you haven't already.
Or disguise yourself as a Priest and hear some confessions.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
The sapienza escalations seem a lot tougher than the paris ones so far.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

The sapienza escalations seem a lot tougher than the paris ones so far.

The inability to save combined with a huge map makes every failed attempt eat up so much time.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LeJackal posted:

The inability to save combined with a huge map makes every failed attempt eat up so much time.

Same reason why Sapienza pro feels so frustrating. Oh you've killed the two targets but in your haste forgot to save? From the top!

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

I never remembered to save when there are unlimited, no big deal to me.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Zaffy posted:

I never remembered to save when there are unlimited, no big deal to me.

There are no saves, auto or otherwise, on escalations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Did all escalations except Paris! Whew. Almost do-HOLY poo poo THERE ARE SO MANY PARIS ESCALATIONS.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

qbert posted:

Did all escalations except Paris! Whew. Almost do-HOLY poo poo THERE ARE SO MANY PARIS ESCALATIONS.

Look on the bright side: they're not nearly as experimental and gimmicky as what you get on other maps. So aside from one or two of them, they're pretty boring straight-forward. This might not actually be a bright side now that I think about it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I encourage killing the one target, destroying the virus, and setting up a particular "stem" for several challenges, such as obtaining the psychiatrist outfit, and only then saving in Sapienza. This is especially effective if you also destroy the virus before saving.

qbert posted:

The earlier missions have more escalations because, simply, the devs had more time to design them, and more players to play them. Be aware that Paris has many of the most experimental, and most oddball/difficult, escalations, including some of the most abusive of lasers/mines. The Wetzel Determination is akin to a couple other escalations on other missions as "that really hard one". If you've done all the others, you will know- don't be afraid to leverage the advantages of your full inventory. This makes some of the hardest escalations in Paris much easier than they were when they first came out. The Gemini Paradox and Granville Curiosity also have bad reputations.

I have a post here detailing all disarm device locations, though almost none of them are necessary.

edit: I am disagreeing with Tippis on how experimental the Paris escalations are, so you should probably go with their opinion.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 28, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I encourage killing the one target, destroying the virus, and setting up a particular "stem" for several challenges, such as obtaining the psychiatrist outfit, and only then saving in Sapienza. This is especially effective if you also destroy the virus before saving.

The earlier missions have more escalations because, simply, the devs had more time to design them, and more players to play them. Be aware that Paris has many of the most experimental, and most oddball/difficult, escalations, including some of the most abusive of lasers/mines. The Wetzel Determination is akin to a couple other escalations on other missions as "that really hard one". If you've done all the others, you will know- don't be afraid to leverage the advantages of your full inventory. This makes some of the hardest escalations in Paris much easier than they were when they first came out. The Gemini Paradox and Granville Curiosity also have bad reputations.

I have a post here detailing all disarm device locations, though almost none of them are necessary.

edit: I am disagreeing with Tippis on how experimental the Paris escalations are, so you should probably go with their opinion.

Eh. I don't know. There's certainly some oddballs in there, but I'd be willing to bet that those are the ones I actually enjoy. Also, it was a while since I did them so my memory might be dulled — I just remember them as being an endless row of straight-forward kills, occasionally with some path restrictions added in (lasers or mines). I just remember Marrakesh being utterly horrible even with the few ones it had, and Colorado and Hokkaido have some outright difficult ones that become tedious in the amount of perfection they demand.

The only one that was odd and bad was the one where you had to drown a waiter, which was wholly relying on an unholy combination of unreliable physics and even more unreliable AI quirks, while on a strict time limit. But then we got the emetic syringe and it became utterly simplistic. And then there's the one that later gameplay additions just outright broke…

I suppose part of it could also be that Paris is so. familiar that, even when they throw something complicated at you, you can figure out how to do it (unlike, say, the unintuitive stalker).

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
The hardest Paris one I remember is the one with the battleaxe where you can't climb things or hop fences.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I remember the one where you have to kill decker and hide his body but the bodyguard disguise doesn't work being very hard, as was the one with the dahlia's office safe + auction woman + hide bodies restriction. basically any one where you have to hide the bodies within 90 seconds makes for a tough time cause you can't drop a duck and leave, and when things go wrong you can't shoot your way out. Kotti paradigm (3 level axe and no climbing) was the best one

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Going with my "Bonus" idea, I've prepped the following contract. With no rules it's easily done in around 2 minutes, but the extras should make things anywhere from slightly to significantly more complicated.

Stream Sniping (The Icon): 1-05-3098403-02
Kill a Security Guard and a Civilian in your Suit. Any Method is fine, but for bonuses...
BRONZE: No Explosion Accidents.
SILVER: Kill both targets with a Sniper Rifle...
GOLD: ...Simultaneously.

I of course have already done it both with No Bonus and with the Gold Bonus. It's significantly slower to get the bonuses so don't take my current record as a sign of how fast it is to do with Gold.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I felt like a superhero(villain?) after doing the escalations for the tutorial mission. That mission was such a perfect Blood Money style introduction, they really should release it as a free demo. I can't imagine doing escalations in the bigger missions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Got up to Level 5 of Mallory Misfortune, it's very frustrating! I have what I think is a winning strategy down but I keep loving up in the most stupid ways and things snowball out of control like crazy as a result. Once it's done I only have a couple of Hokkaido challenges/escalations left and I'll have 100% completion.... so please announce season 2 of the game!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
There was a discussion a few pages ago where we said how sad it was that characters couldn't kill other characters/themselves. But I just witnessed (Bangkok spoiler) Jordan Cross shoving Ken Morgan out the window. So it is possible I guess? Are there instances like that in other levels?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

shut up blegum posted:

There was a discussion a few pages ago where we said how sad it was that characters couldn't kill other characters/themselves. But I just witnessed (Bangkok spoiler) Jordan Cross shoving Ken Morgan out the window. So it is possible I guess? Are there instances like that in other levels?

The waiter in Marrakesh without his knowledge, the chief surgeon in Hokkaido if angered and high.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

shut up blegum posted:

Sapienza:

Marco Abiatti will push the priest off the top of the church.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Pennfalath posted:

The waiter in Marrakesh without his knowledge, the chief surgeon in Hokkaido if angered and high.

Oh wow, I always take the chief surgeon outfit myself. Didn't know the surgeon could kill the dude too.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

shut up blegum posted:

Oh wow, I always take the chief surgeon outfit myself. Didn't know the surgeon could kill the dude too.

You need to go into Yamazaki's room, steal her data, then insert that flash drive into one of the computers in the surgery theater where the chief works. Then you need to steal the pilot disguise and give the chief a poo poo ton of pills.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Final Test: If you turn the power off to the porjector while the General and Knight are entering the room to discuss the slides you just placed there, the General will turn it on while Knight fiddles with the electronics, shocking him to death.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Finished all the Paris escalations, and overall I enjoyed them. Definitely not as much "drop a rubber duck and run" as I thought there would be.

Now that I've 100% every level, I'm just sad there's no more Hitman content to do. Guess I'll give Professional mode a shot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I just started up wrapping up the Paris Escalations myself and boy they sure do love their laser tripwires and landmines in that level, eh? :mad:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Just did all the Paris challenges on Professional. It wasn't as horrible as I was expecting it to be. Of course, I made a point of disabling all cameras 5 seconds into the start of every mission (just always started in the basement). Not sure how frustrating the later levels are going to be having to deal with this new camera system.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

qbert posted:

Just did all the Paris challenges on Professional. It wasn't as horrible as I was expecting it to be. Of course, I made a point of disabling all cameras 5 seconds into the start of every mission (just always started in the basement). Not sure how frustrating the later levels are going to be having to deal with this new camera system.

Bangkok and Hokkadio are a bit annoying, but mainly due to how tricky it is to get to the computer to disable them, and because there are quite a few blind corners that either will catch you or makes it difficult to take the camera out from a good angle.

On the other maps, the cameras — new and old — are more easily accessible for you to spot, disable, or just outmanoeuvre, and if anything, the “upgraded” AI reactions to disabling them on pro actually works to your advantage at times since you can make someone move out of the way for you from very long distances all of a sudden.

On the other hand, the cameras only really matter for the SA/SO run (and Ninja in Hokkaido), since there will always be some disguise they can't see through, and you should probably be using that anyway at all other times. They mainly make you move a bit more slowly until/unless you take out the control computer since you don't want to blunder into one while fleeing from some other flubbed attempt at distracting or knocking people out.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I found Hokkaido pretty okay for camera smashing since the camera in the morgue can be shot through the glass from the stairwell coming from the employee area.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Normal Hokkaido was cool but I found it lackluster. On the other hand, I did a few contracts and they were marvellous.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Boiled Water posted:

I found Hokkaido pretty okay for camera smashing since the camera in the morgue can be shot through the glass from the stairwell coming from the employee area.

This is what I did as well, though it does mean you need a silenced pistol which takes up your only stash spot.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Eggnogium posted:

This is what I did as well, though it does mean you need a silenced pistol which takes up your only stash spot.

You can use whichever pistol as long as you leave in a hurry.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/859344806811762689

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Yay, level 20 mastery in each location! Now I can finally.. start to play the game? :confused:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
That's definitely The Bad Boy, as it's the only ET known to be set on The Icon and the background for that phone shot is one of the curtains that has the film name on it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

shut up blegum posted:

Yay, level 20 mastery in each location! Now I can finally.. start to play the game? :confused:

Bang your head of Pro mode. Then when you've finished pro mode do like me: Sit and wait for game updates.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Nakar posted:

That's definitely The Bad Boy, as it's the only ET known to be set on The Icon and the background for that phone shot is one of the curtains that has the film name on it.

While I do need the Sapienza ET suit, The Icon is definitely one of the more annoying maps IMO, especially if the target ends up in the middle of the film set.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Boiled Water posted:

Bang your head of Pro mode. Then when you've finished pro mode do like me: Sit and wait for game updates.

Meh, I tried the pro mode on Paris and I was kinda bummed out by it. It's like a totally different game, and I have to relearn where most of the items are + I've already done most of the challenges so my verdict of Pro mode is: :shrug:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Comments from the official account further in the thread make reference to the particularly infamous Sensation, ET # 4. Sensation was infamous because the intended SA technique (the only really feasible way to get it) required poisoning a drink, which the target drinks from once, a very short time after the mission starts.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

All Sapienza professional challenges done! Guess we're doing this.

REALLY not looking forward to Bangkok and Colorado SA/SO runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

qbert posted:

All Sapienza professional challenges done! Guess we're doing this.

REALLY not looking forward to Bangkok and Colorado SA/SO runs.

There are posts further upthread about both. Since I beat my head against them, my post history may be a good starting place. Beware of Mrfreeze's videos, which are more like speedruns that require everything go perfectly than effective strategies.

Short versions:

Bangkok:Poison Morgan and make your way up to Cross's floor then save before the intricate dance of taking Cross out begins.

Colorado:Use the farmhouse to stage as many kills as possible- all the farmhouse targets can be led into the basement with noises. Save after killing all three and setting up to snipe the haybale from the balcony.