Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I met an American around 2004 who toured the world and made his living painting murals for whichever guesthouse would have him.
I was taken aback by his disdain for 'welfare queens'.
Point of this story, hating on the lower classes is the most american thing there is.

E:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I met an American around 2004 who toured the world and made his living painting murals for whichever guesthouse would have him.
Point of this story, hating on the lower classes is the most american thing there is.

E:

There's a passage in Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London when he's slumming around the London casual wards and meets an out of work tradesman of some sort who's been tramping for months on account of want of tools and work, and as soon as Orwell comments on how lousy the food is, this guys responds with something like "oh they have to. If they made it too comfortable then all the scum would just flood in, they don't appreciate the value of good honest work like you and I. Just scum, the lot of them."

edit: found the exact passage:

quote:

Then I told him about the wastage of food in the workhouse kitchen, and what I thought of it. And at that he changed his tone instantly. I saw that I had awakened the pew-renter who sleeps in every English workman. Though he had been famished along with the others, he at once saw reasons why the food should have been thrown away rather that given to the tramps. He admonished me quite severely.

‘They have to do it,’ he said. ‘If they made these places too comfortable, you’d have all the scum of the country flocking into them. It’s only the bad food as keeps all that scum away. These here tramps are too lazy to work, that’s all that’s wrong with them. You don’t want to go encouraging of them. They’re scum.’

I produced arguments to prove him wrong, but he would not listen. He kept repeating:

‘You don’t want to have any pity on these here tramps—scum, they are. You don’t want to judge them by the same standards as men like you and me. They’re scum, just scum.’

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 28, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

E:

For the record Regan's Welfare Queen, the woman who is what R's love to tote out, was a massive scam artist, who murdered a roommate for her Social Security. I didn't know until this week that she was also buying and selling babies. I had know about her for a few years, but she was covered in The Dollop this week:

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/260-the-welfare-queen-live-in-chicago

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Also note that people use the plural when there was only one of her.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If they can use her as a measure to curb welfare how about we use (choose your favorite white guy mass shooter) to curb guns?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ambitious Spider posted:

If they can use her as a measure to curb welfare how about we use (choose your favorite white guy mass shooter) to curb guns?

Too many to choose from

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Ambitious Spider posted:

"Well that shooter was nothing like me average Joe white male conservative so clearly he is no representative of my group! That black women reaffirms by existing biases about her group therefore she is the perfect representative of her group! What's that? I'm not racist! You are the real you swarthy cuck!"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

please don't doxx my hotel pay-per-view invoice, Peters

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

So, it's an investment. They are entrepreneurs.

Perhaps they should have been let go extinct, then.

Free market environmentalism

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

How could it be justified given the glut already on the market?

Bad posting is not a zero-sum game.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Selachian posted:

Trump announced in his Reuters interview that he considers himself a "globalist." Ben Garrison headsplosion in 3, 2, 1....

:bisonyes:

I never thought I'd be excited to see a political cartoon, but here we are.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Selachian posted:

Trump announced in his Reuters interview that he considers himself a "globalist." Ben Garrison headsplosion in 3, 2, 1....

Trump is about to make an absolute mess of the tax code.

This just needs a jug and some animation.

Don't stress over robots; a bright new economy is being born.

Welfare recipients wearing $400 jeans, baseball announcers making climate change comments (at all, let alone in the middle of a play)...I do believe this Lester fellow's being a mite disingenuous. And oh yeah, Curt Schilling.

Pat Campbell is back from the dead! :neckbeard:

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

The only reason he's against the death penalty is so he is free to murder people he knew from high school.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Why is that woman's office out in the street? Why didn't she object on account of what "woman who works in the street" means? Why was a fax machine installed in the Wall Street bull's rear end? Why doesn't the cartoonist get that his belabored attempt at making an "Obama is bullshit" toon just doesn't work?

A bright future of jobs from fracking and Uber.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/04/how-many-jobs-does-fracking-really-create/445227/

The real jobs will be in cleaning up the colossal environmental damage; for that fracking will sustain employment for millennia!

That's... actually not a bad Rall? Yeah, the death penalty is a blight and the justifications for it are without exception massively hypocritical.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Okay, this one went over my head (hur hur), what's it supposed to be about?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ramos posted:

Okay, this one went over my head (hur hur), what's it supposed to be about?

"Building castles in the sky" means to dream big but do none of the groundwork to accomplish your goal

e although that guy is not donald trump like I thought he was so the metaphor is still right but I have no idea what it's referring to, I need labels dammit

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 28, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sandpuppy posted:

I am unaware of the existence of Kansas. - Gary Varvel, expert analyst and cool dude

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

I have no idea what this is trying to say. Tax cuts are like apple trees? Do the tax cut trees grow jobs?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Internet Webguy posted:

I have no idea what this is trying to say. Tax cuts are like apple trees? Do the tax cut trees grow jobs?

They're an invasive species and will create a lot of unforeseen problems

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Internet Webguy posted:

I have no idea what this is trying to say. Tax cuts are like apple trees?

He's trying to say that the tax cuts will pay for themselves by "growing" the economy. Doesn't work like that. Can work sometimes, if cuts are targeted at growing the economy (e.g. encouraging small business or helping the poor have cash to spend), but these tax cuts seem designed to heap money in already mega rich guys pockets, so probably no. They'll just put it on top of their existing money heap.

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/10/30/452905475/fact-check-do-tax-cuts-grow-the-economy

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE_iOAQwgL0

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Selachian posted:

I'm not one to trawl through twitter looking for dumpster fires (#fyrefestival aside), but compared to previous gently caress-ups and backtracks this seems to be the first time the alt-reich is uniformly decrying Trump. All the other things they found a way to rationalize, but now they're going full blown "Trump is a jew puppet".

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Boris Johnson's tirade against Jeremy Corbyn – The foreign secretary used an article in for the Sun to launch a personal attack on the Labour leader, calling him, inter alia, a ‘mutton-headed mugwump’"

Telegraph:

Trump's first 100 days compared to Obama's: All the laws, golf trips, holidays and poll ratings

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... Boris Johnson's mugwump insult

'Ah, Foreign Secretary, what exactly is a mugwump?'

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Internet Webguy posted:

Tax cut seeds will grow into massive tax cut plants that will pump all the water and minerals from the soil (economy), leaving the soil poorer and less fertile. To keep the tax cuts growing, Farmer Trump will have to spend ever more in fertilizers and pesticides, and Donkey is right to point out that this plan isn't affordable in the long run.

So basically AGC.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That's how I got it, but then people explained that Varvel is a dickhead.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Cat Mattress posted:

Tax cut seeds will grow into massive tax cut plants that will pump all the water and minerals from the soil (economy), leaving the soil poorer and less fertile. To keep the tax cuts growing, Farmer Trump will have to spend ever more in fertilizers and pesticides, and Donkey is right to point out that this plan isn't affordable in the long run.

So basically AGC.

Also, the majority of apple trees grown from seeds produce soar inedible fruit. Even more AGC.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sandpuppy posted:

Why is he wasting seeds by throwing them out in what is clearly a barren area that will not support plant life?

Hell, even if that were fertile soil, not planting them means that most of them are going to be eaten before they ever sprout.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

the_steve posted:

Why is he wasting seeds by throwing them out in what is clearly a barren area that will not support plant life?

Hell, even if that were fertile soil, not planting them means that most of them are going to be eaten before they ever sprout.

Tax cuts for the rich are seeds thrown onto barren soil. AGC.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The well fed rich animals will leave a few fertile seeds behind in their droppings.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Varvel is a dickhead.

Which is what makes it A Good Cartoon rather than a good cartoon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ted Rall managed to finallysit in a chair without crushing his own balls in the process. Everyone please clap

Sargon of TN
Nov 7, 2011

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

SSNeoman posted:

Ted Rall managed to finallysit in a chair without crushing his own balls in the process. Everyone please clap

Here's a cartoon better explain the situation:
Mark fiore cartoon

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Glorious leader, we are being attacked by America. Luckily thier leader is on one of thier carriers which is within striking distance.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Also what up with the chicago bulls?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hihohe posted:

Also what up with the chicago bulls?

Kim Jong Un has a known, very peculiar relationship with a former member of that team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

so is Dees back on the Trump train now or what, I thought he was done with him

also what is Kim Jong-Un's position vis-a-vis the reptilian Illuminati, this is not clear

• Locked thread