Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Just remake Tome of Battle already Wizards, it what everyone wanted anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Reene posted:

My DM insists you can only cast the spell once, you can't just blow all your slots on it and use them to maintain forever. vOv

I mean, that's objectively not true in the rules, but it makes a decent house rule if you just want to avoid that particular build. Personally, I don't like to run campaigns with evil parties, so I'd probably just say you can't be a necromancer for RP reasons.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Reene posted:

My DM insists you can only cast the spell once, you can't just blow all your slots on it and use them to maintain forever. vOv

That's a way to nerf it, but as written there's no such restriction.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Petr posted:

I mean, that's objectively not true in the rules, but it makes a decent house rule if you just want to avoid that particular build. Personally, I don't like to run campaigns with evil parties, so I'd probably just say you can't be a necromancer for RP reasons.

Hey they're just bones and corpses nobody is using anymore, there's nothing evil about animating them.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Petr posted:

I think you can be some kind of neutral and be a necromancer. The question that would come up with my friends would be "where do you get hundreds of corpses to raise" and "most of them would be zombies unless you have some way of cleaning all of the soft tissue off". That first question would be where the problems come from though. Grave robbing? Mass murder? It's hard to find a way to play a necromancer designed to break the game over his knee with animate dead without having to create some really morally or ethically problematic narrative circumstances.

While some groups may be fine with "well we slaughter every man and woman in the village and boil their corpses one at a time for skeletons then sell the children to ogres as food for cash to buy arms and armor for the skeleton army", I would hope that they're the exception rather than the rule.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The in-setting/RP stuff can all be dealt with and I'd already thought of a few ways to do so. The character is neutral and wouldn't even have to murder anyone to get fodder.

It's a bit lovely because I consistently feel like the weakest, least useful member of the party and he dangled necromancy stuff like some kind of carrot but eh. I'll figure it out.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Just raise goblin skeletons. You'll murder hundreds anyway. A skeleton horde that is a mishmash of races, goblins, kobolds, orcs, then poo poo like snakemen as you get stronger...

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Ran an 8 player game of 5e for a bunch of people who have no prior experience with rpgs whatsoever. Say what you will about 5e being imperfect but everyone seemed to have a great time.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Playing a necromancer is still evil though, because you force the party to sit through sixteen bazillion die rolls for every combat.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Petr posted:

Playing a necromancer is still evil though, because you force the party to sit through sixteen bazillion die rolls for every combat.

The considerate necromancer uses a dice app on his cellphone.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I was looking at that "Beyond Damage Dice" book and other stuff from Kobold Press and was thinking about picking up a few PDFs. Anyone have experience with Kobold Press? Generally good stuff?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

NeurosisHead posted:

The question that would come up with my friends would be "where do you get hundreds of corpses to raise" and "most of them would be zombies unless you have some way of cleaning all of the soft tissue off". That first question would be where the problems come from though.

If the group was having to wait around for a while, you could ask the Duke or whatever to get the bodies of executed criminals; they don't have to transport or bury them, so everyone wins. Alternately, visit a battlefield and start grabbing dead soldiers. This even provides armor and weapons, though it is a potential political problem if they have heraldry you don't bother to paint over.

The part that annoys me is that they removed zombie animals. Getting a zombie bear was pretty rad at lower levels.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Yeah there are a lot of ways to get bodies that are maybe gross but not necessarily evil in and of themselves. You don't have to perform a sacrifice to make someone undead; if you did that would be a whole other ball of wax.

Trast posted:

The considerate necromancer uses a dice app on his cellphone.

Pretty much.

I bet I can take less time on a turn than our fighter by just using my cell phone.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
By the time you hit a level capable of casting the spell, you'll have slain countless bandits, goblins, kobolds, nilbogs, and other neer`do-wells.

Corpse supply isn't a problem.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

If you're going around raising endless ranks of the dead, regardless of your intentions you shouldn't be surprised if people start to question if you're actually any better than the monsters you fight.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tir McDohl posted:

I was looking at that "Beyond Damage Dice" book and other stuff from Kobold Press and was thinking about picking up a few PDFs. Anyone have experience with Kobold Press? Generally good stuff?

Kobold Press is a long-time third party publisher for Pathfinder with plenty of quality products. I can't speak to the actual quality of their 5e products but in general they put out good stuff.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Wurzag posted:

If you're going around raising endless ranks of the dead, regardless of your intentions you shouldn't be surprised if people start to question if you're actually any better than the monsters you fight.

That's what my +13 to Persuasion checks is for.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Getting back into DnD after years away, I feel like it's the old school old man grogs coming back in because of the new interest that are the problems, not the rules. They see opportunities for the incredibly number focused, boring and pedantic game they remember playing in the rules and run with it.

This isn't true at all. 5e's rules let everyone down by being a mess that doesn't do anything well. If you want to play a game with less focus on numbers, then there are far better games than D&D. If you want to focus on numbers, there are better editions of D&D. In the middle there's only "ask your DM", which is exactly what leads to the arguments and poo poo you're calling pedantry.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wurzag posted:

Ran an 8 player game of 5e for a bunch of people who have no prior experience with rpgs whatsoever. Say what you will about 5e being imperfect but everyone seemed to have a great time.

Get people drunk enough and FATAL could be a good time. Having fun doesn't make a game good.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Arivia posted:

Kobold Press is a long-time third party publisher for Pathfinder with plenty of quality products. I can't speak to the actual quality of their 5e products but in general they put out good stuff.

Yeah I will check out a few. The sample pages look good.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If anyone complains about you raising corpses, start questioning their armor and material components. Leather armor? That cow lived a life, probably had a family. Eye of newt? I bet if you had a lizard familiar you wouldn't be so quick to murder.

If you persist, they might give up after a while.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is no ethical conjuration under capatilism.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Undead are just recycling, and since they're animated but not sentient you're not really disrupting the natural order that much. It's not like you're bringing souls back across the veil or anything that gauche.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Petr posted:

That just means the player has an evil alignment, the character could still be neutral.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Undead are just recycling, and since they're animated but not sentient you're not really disrupting the natural order that much. It's not like you're bringing souls back across the veil or anything that gauche.

Exactly! Their soul is no longer inhabiting the body. Would you feel better if I cut every zombie's face off so you don't recognize them?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I mean the creatures themselves are still definitely evil but ethically speaking mindless undead really are no different from using leather or whatever in a setting where you know exactly what happens to someone's consciousness/soul when they die and that weak undead have no impact on either of those things.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Exactly! Their soul is no longer inhabiting the body. Would you feel better if I cut every zombie's face off so you don't recognize them?

moderately, but you have to do it by hand.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Elfgames posted:

moderately, but you have to do it by hand.

There's another way?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

NeurosisHead posted:

That first question would be where the problems come from though. Grave robbing? Mass murder? It's hard to find a way to play a necromancer designed to break the game over his knee with animate dead without having to create some really morally or ethically problematic narrative circumstances.

The real question is: What the hell has your group has been doing with the huge pile of corpses the PCs generate every single session, up until now? Have you just been leaving them lying around? Because that's how you get ants.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 28, 2017

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Arivia posted:

Having fun doesn't make a game good.

best arivia post yet

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm actually curious about that insane dm who makes you roll down the line. would he let you bring in a new character in the same session if you died? I'm sure if you suicided 5 characters he'd figure it out but it'd work a few times.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Has anyone tried importing the idea of mooks from 13A to handle the stupid amount of skeletons from an animate build?

You'd need to balance them but that seems like a way to sidestep a lot of the issues with it while preserving that skeleton archer army feel.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Reene posted:

I mean the creatures themselves are still definitely evil but ethically speaking mindless undead really are no different from using leather or whatever in a setting where you know exactly what happens to someone's consciousness/soul when they die and that weak undead have no impact on either of those things.

Well they will murder anyone they come across if they are left alone for too long.

Intelligent undead however do trap the soul. So animating Ghouls, Wights and Mummies is a bad thing.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Arivia posted:

Get people drunk enough and FATAL could be a good time. Having fun doesn't make a game good.

If you don't like 5e just don't play it. As far as we we're concerned it's working just fine for my group.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they will murder anyone they come across if they are left alone for too long.

So do adventurers. :rimshot:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Arivia posted:

NeurosisHead posted:

best arivia post yet

Ask your DM to roll for fun.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Tir McDohl posted:

I haven't looked into "Beyond Damage Dice" yet but I have bought "Tome of Beasts" by the same publisher and it's definitely a good buy if you're GMing: loving ton of monsters that fill out some niches the Monster Manual is lacking. Kobold's got a pretty solid reputation so I think you should be fine to check it out if you're interested.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wurzag posted:

If you don't like 5e just don't play it. As far as we we're concerned it's working just fine for my group.

Hey, more power to you. Fun is fun. My group just had an absolutely stellar Pathfinder session last night. That just doesn't make it a good game, is all.

NeurosisHead posted:

best arivia post yet

Credit goes to the board games thread and particularly Broken Loose, not me.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

What would you all recommend as some of your favorite campaigns or modules? it could be because they are great stories or mechanically sound, etc. I want to read a couple to get a feel for how they are put together but there are too many to go through blindly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wurzag posted:

"I've got 40 skeletons, they had like, 5 or 6. Of course I'm better".