Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Panfilo posted:

It just occurred to me that it might be due to Cataph's mod that changed it. The mod changes so many spell values I can't even remember what the stock values are off the top of my head. When I get home today I'll check the little red down arrow over the unit details (that shows exact stat buffs/debuffs) to see if the unit gets continuously affected and if it stacks.

Remains is play is definitely from Cataph's mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Aw man I was getting fired up to actually use B Gelt in multiplayer.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

B to the A to the L-the-saur, Gelt's a loving beast: a real mon-star.

Just kidding he's a terrible excuse for a wizard.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
No he's a fine excuse for a wizard which is the problem. He should be significantly superior as a wizard, he's a loving legendary lord. His plague of rust shouldn't function exactly the same as a normal wizards plague of rust

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ammanas posted:

No he's a fine excuse for a wizard which is the problem. He should be significantly superior as a wizard, he's a loving legendary lord. His plague of rust shouldn't function exactly the same as a normal wizards plague of rust

Lore of Metal is only usable by Gelt and the Lord of Change right? That makes its mediocrity twice as funny.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lore of Metal is only usable by Gelt and the Lord of Change right? That makes its mediocrity twice as funny.

Chaos also has generic sorcerers and sorcerer lords with it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Empire should have the option to vassalize the drat electors without having to reduce them to nothing, just sayin'

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey is there an easy way to compare different factions' units to each other (ie, who would win in a fight between say empire swordsmen vs ork boys)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Hey is there an easy way to compare different factions' units to each other (ie, who would win in a fight between say empire swordsmen vs ork boys)

Custom battle 1v1s, I guess? Pick the snowy field map for the smallest arena, though unfortunately you'll usually have to deal with an enemy Lord messing up the fight. You could also use the unit card pinning feature to compare stats directly, but it's better to actually have them fight since a lot of unit stats aren't listed on the thing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

He's going to need something to get his mind off the fact that he got roped into playing for Washington.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

StashAugustine posted:

http://www.honga.net/totalwar/warhammer/?l=en

It has a unit compare feature that lets you see stats side by side. Unfortunately, the way stuff is displayed is not always accurate (shield block chance is listed as armor, for instance)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Here's what I'd change with Gelt:

Searing Doom is a 'free' spell like how most other caster LLs get. It still counts as a metal spell for the purposes of his other abilities though.

You get bonus winds of magic reserves for every additional wizard in Gelt's army.

Gelt gets Earthing, Power Drain, and Arcane Conduit already unlocked at level 1. At the end of his magic skill tree is a skill that causes the first spell you cast from any wizard free, but only if cast within the first two minutes of battle.

Lore master of metal is now Grandmaster of Magic, which reduces the cost and cool down of all friendly spells by 25%.

His red tree has skills that improve the stats of wizards and Luminarks.

His blue tree has skills that allow all spells and abilities to be available immediately vs waiting for their cool downs to tick down, as well as having non healing buffs last significantly longer.

Now it's actually worth taking a wizard or two along, because Gelt can allow them to cast spells faster and more frequently in long battles.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Considering the power creep I am fairly sure that Teclis and Mazdamundi will have so much cheese in terms of magic that all our needs will be satisfied in tw2

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Nobody is going to play as those dorks because we'll have:

Malekith: Vlad in terms of bullshit, but with even better magic

Dinosaurs riding other dinosaurs.

Rat men.

Why would you play Generic Elf Magic Guy or Crazy Frog Let Himself Go?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Because they will be the leading lords of their respective forces?

And considering dark elf lore lol malekith

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I for one await our magic frog overlords

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
High Elves are all phalanx blocks and that sort of stuff, no? That'll be fun to play if nothing else.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Those Sea Guard units sound baller. Archers that double as spearmen? Yes please!

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Panfilo posted:

Those Sea Guard units sound baller. Archers that double as spearmen? Yes please!

I'm not sure we'll get something like that. Dwarf quarrelers are just as good in close combat on the table top, which is certainly not the case here.

Basically Warhammer is big and dumb and I'm really glad that Total War is only inspired by the setting instead of a direct port of stupidity.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

toasterwarrior posted:

Custom battle 1v1s, I guess? Pick the snowy field map for the smallest arena, though unfortunately you'll usually have to deal with an enemy Lord messing up the fight. You could also use the unit card pinning feature to compare stats directly, but it's better to actually have them fight since a lot of unit stats aren't listed on the thing.

If you want to test units vs AI 1v1 try setting the AI lord as a wizard and remove all his abilities. Most of the time he will just chill in the back and not skew your test by joining the fight.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The high elf roster is pretty fun. Spearmen, archers, and spear archers backed up by specialized elites of all varieties except gunpowder or siege (just bolt throwers). I'm excited for them anyway.

The Loremaster and the Dragon Mage will be cool hero options too. One is a combat wizard with a greatsword who knows the basic spell of every lore instead of specializing, the other is a fire mage hero who rides a dragon.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm not sure we'll get something like that. Dwarf quarrelers are just as good in close combat on the table top, which is certainly not the case here.

Basically Warhammer is big and dumb and I'm really glad that Total War is only inspired by the setting instead of a direct port of stupidity.

They could just be elite pricey units that aren't cost effective to spam until you get to late game (at which point who cares). Or they could be a prohibitively small unit compared to dedicated spear phalaxes making them less effective at blocking cavalry/chariots but still self sufficient so you could keep them in front.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

So about my comments how sorcerers should act as force multipliers: just had a VC-vs-Karak Kadrin battle. Balance bar at 0% change to win. Mostly chaff army (zombies, few skeletons, with 3 cavalry) and Isabella alone. Dwarves have DW/Longbeards/Quarrelers.

She took on 5 disparate armies at once adding up to ~2900 men. 3 WoD, 900 kills, and I won with Isabella, half-strength chillgeists and the starting bloodknight unit with 6 models left.

It was the most satisfying battle I've ever played in this game, and I've played a lot. Love this poo poo

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

quote:

elves

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Panfilo posted:

They could just be elite pricey units that aren't cost effective to spam until you get to late game (at which point who cares). Or they could be a prohibitively small unit compared to dedicated spear phalaxes making them less effective at blocking cavalry/chariots but still self sufficient so you could keep them in front.

I only know them from Diskwars where they sucked but you could make them like Free Company in that they're skirmishers who don't fold at the first sign of melee

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

StashAugustine posted:

I only know them from Diskwars where they sucked but you could make them like Free Company in that they're skirmishers who don't fold at the first sign of melee

So basically a lovely compromise between two dedicated types of units that also costs more than either alternative. That actually does sound balanced.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

So basically a lovely compromise between two dedicated types of units that also costs more than either alternative. That actually does sound balanced.
Free Company are pretty drat good early on, though?

e: And archers that can hold their own against light cavalry sound like they have a place too. You could use them alongside dedicated archer units as anti-cav screens (that you're already going to bring) but they still have a role in the ranged fight too. Even if they can't hold up against heavier cavalry, a few sprinkled in seem useful at least for awhile in the campaign.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 28, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

can't wait for the war of the beard mod

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

p sure dwarves don't wear loincloths, they merely have a beard that covers their genitals and keeps them modest & warm

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Ammanas posted:

p sure dwarves don't wear loincloths, they merely have a beard that covers their genitals and keeps them modest & warm

NSFW

http://i.imgur.com/qZZ7W2u.jpg

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Hoping that they figure out a way to do the High Elves' tabletop gimmick, though. Representing 'absolutely every last one of us has been drilling phalanx-formation bow or spear use for centuries' with getting to attack with an extra row of soldiers was a neat idea to demonstrate the High Elves are fewer in number, but they hit above their twiggy weight class as long as the formation's still intact.

Also hoping for general gameplay's sake that Eternal Guard get hit with the nerf bat before they copy/paste them directly onto both the High and Dark Elven rosters, because those fuckers should not take more to bring down than a unit of dwarf warriors, poo poo's insane.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In addition to game mechanics you also have to think about the Sea Guards' design. So far CA has pretty much directly copied tabletop models, so the Sea Guard will probably end up looking like phalanx spearmen but with bows, just like the plastic nerd toys. A good deal of armor and shielded. Given that, it'd be strange and confusing to make them anything less than equal in melee compared to basic elf spears imo. You want players to be able to eyeball how a unit performs even if they're not comparing stats and abilities.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

http://www.honga.net/totalwar/warhammer/?l=en

It has a unit compare feature that lets you see stats side by side. Unfortunately, the way stuff is displayed is not always accurate (shield block chance is listed as armor, for instance)

I've been using this (you'll have to make a copy if you want to change the units on the first sheet) because that website makes me want to kill myself.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Vlex posted:

Why would you play Crazy Frog Let Himself Go?

For the dwarves, it was the worst day in their history. Caverns collapsed, the underway shattered. Holds that had been carved from solid rock cracked and shattered into the depths of the earth. Countless dwarves were killed in a cataclysmic upheaval of the tectonic plates. Their great empire had been cast into eternal decline.

For Mazdamundi, it was Tuesday.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

I can vouch for it; apart from magic (which I feel needs some more buffs to some of the lores), I think the balance is great and factions really feel a lot more flavorful.

There's a lot of changes and I have to rack my brain to write up a thing on each of them, so instead I'll detail one of the more recent changes they did: a thing about Total Warhammer is that elite units tended to entirely replace older ones because they're just straight up better despite the costs and upkeep. The team made it so that apart from upkeep and cost tweaks, elite units generally now have less members but more powerful models in the fashion of Chaos' Aspiring Champions;. Bretonnia is probably the best example of this because the Grail units have extremely small unit counts but each man fights like the demigod the lore presents them to be. Instead of Knights of the Realm getting supplanted entirely by Grail Knights, the KotRs remain a better offensive unit against infantry mobs due to their 75-man count giving them a meatier charge, while the 26-man Grail Knight unit is much more suited to hunting down large units thanks to their innate anti-large bonus and higher defensive stats per man plus regeneration and vigour resistance.

This sounds awesome; is there any reason not to play with it? I picked this up on sale recently but haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I've been reading up to see if there are any essential mods I should use.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You know, I noticed that there isn't any way to improve the damage from spells. I find this rather surprising. You can improve the 'ammo' in the form of Winds of Magic reserves, as well as the rate in which they regenerate. You can also increase the cooldown on spells (though this is really not a big problem when it comes to magic in this game). But there doesn't seem to be a way to actually make the spells themselves do more damage.

Now right now there are some lores/spells that are fine in this regard. I'm not complaining Wind of Death doesn't do enough damage. But other lores seem lackluster. What's worse is that some Legendary Lords (like Gelt in particular) don't get anything that actually makes his or his nerd buddies spells more potent, just lets them maybe cast one more in a battle which isn't that impressive.

Think about the amount of damage you could inflict with a Mortar over the course of a battle. I feel like a Bright Wizard or Gelt should be able to do at least that much damage. I'm watching an overcasted Hounds of Ghenna rip through a blob of goblins, and while it is causing some casualties, it isn't any more impressive than a single Mortar salvo. And this is with Cataph's mod which tweaks the damage and throws in debuffs (metal lore spells that deal damage will debuff the targets armor by -30 for 24 seconds 'hothothot!' ).

I know magic has a lot of advantages- short cooldowns, completely ignores armor, etc. Some Lores and spells are very good but it is rather extreme, and when you factor that some units/lords/legendary lords get decent non-magic based activated abilities, it really starts to pale in comparison. I'm fine with Vampire Counts having the edge they currently have, though it would be really nice if Empire could have good wizards too, since you'd have to do it to the detriment of other units.

Finally, the last element of this is the Dorfs. One of their gimmicks is that they are particularly magic resistant. Having a Runelord on his Anvil Lowrider is supposed to be the premier magic defense in this game. But it isn't really that relevant, because magic is actually pretty rare and very seldom an actual threat. While there are some units that might be unusually vulnerable to getting blasted by magic (ghost dudes) it isn't like having units super resistant to it is some asset 99% of the time. Compare this to fire damage and vulnerability; units that have Regeneration have a unique advantage, particularly in a long drawn out attrition battle. Having a damage type that counters this is actually handy, because the units that regenerate are often a threat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

This sounds awesome; is there any reason not to play with it? I picked this up on sale recently but haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I've been reading up to see if there are any essential mods I should use.

Well, it's a comprehensive overhaul so you can't pick and choose which parts you want. Personally I'd prefer to use Cataph's or Gejnor's magic mod since I feel that even magic in SFO could use some more punch, but since SFO magic balance also covers skill tree changes and entire mechanical changes (for example, SFO essentially has infinite regeneration since Steel Faith didn't like the regen cap), I can't use them on top of it without breaking a lot of poo poo.

Still, it's fantastic for an all-in-one package and the dude pretty much stays consistent with Warhammer "lore" without compromising balance too much.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nash posted:

For the dwarves, it was the worst day in their history. Caverns collapsed, the underway shattered. Holds that had been carved from solid rock cracked and shattered into the depths of the earth. Countless dwarves were killed in a cataclysmic upheaval of the tectonic plates. Their great empire had been cast into eternal decline.

For Mazdamundi, it was Tuesday.
:drat:

One thing I always liked about WHFB was how intertwined the different races' timelines could be.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fangz posted:

High Elves are all phalanx blocks and that sort of stuff, no? That'll be fun to play if nothing else.

High Elves are basically the "classic" pseudo-medieval fantasy army. They basically cover all bases, including light and heavy infantry, light and heavy cavalry, chariots, archers, and skirmishers. Being elves, each of those units is generally better at what it does than a comparable regular human counterpart (though they can still be matched or outclassed by certain human elite units like Grail Knights). The downside being that they're all quite expensive, and at the end of the day they are usually no more resilient than an average human. Concentrated ranged fire, magic, or artillery rampaging through their ranks can be comparatively very costly for them.

The core of their infantry is indeed made of big old blocks of spearmen. Being elves, they're actually very good in a stand-up fight against other infantry, and will generally win out against comparable units like Empire swordsmen or Orc boys one-on-one. But where they really shine is their heavy infantry, which is basically a whirly blender of death that can cut a swathe even through elite units. You've got the choice between Swordmasters who can blend a lot of dudes in record time, White Lions who blend even the toughest enemies extra hard, and the Phoenix Guard who blend only at middling speeds but can do it for a long time thanks to magical protection keeping them alive.

Curiously enough, when it comes to ranged fire, the High Elves are only kind of middling. Their archers are pretty accurate and everything, but at the end of the day they're only using regular old longbows without any fancy magic arrows or anything. They're pretty thoroughly outshot by Wood Elves, Dark Elves, Dwarfs, and arguably even the Empire once they bring gunpowder units to the table. They also don't have much in the way of artillery aside from good-but-not-outstanding ballistae. Combined with their relative lack of easily accessible monsters, I'd expect them to have a potentially fairly difficult time during siege attacks unless you spend a good long while building a bunch of siege towers.

Still, they could be pretty fun. While they're fairly conventional they do have lots of options, and pretty much all of those are solid to excellent. On top of that they'll likely have very good magic, and their lords and heroes start out pretty strong and will probably become really murderous once they get on a dragon. Depending on their starting position, I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced the Dwarfs as the go-to "easy" faction for newcomers to start out with.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

High Elf shooting was outstanding in editions past. Repeater Bolt Throwers, a couple units of Lothern Sea Guard, a Prince with the Seafarer's Bow, and an important enemy unit or two hit with the Curse of Arrow Attraction was a good time.

• Locked thread