Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

If I want a Phablet on Verizon, I'm pretty much limited to the Pixel XL and LG V20, correct?

Edit: While I like my HTC 10, I miss the screen real estate of my Nexus 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JayKay posted:

If I want a Phablet on Verizon, I'm pretty much limited to the Pixel XL and LG V20, correct?

Edit: While I like my HTC 10, I miss the screen real estate of my Nexus 6.

S8+ works out to be pretty phablet-y despite the 18:9, right?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My edge plus 6 just had its screen shatter. Any advice on a new phone? I'm due for an upgrade and this one has no battery anymore.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Pixel if you want to spend that kind of money, Moto G5 Plus if you don't. Battery on the G5 Plus is pretty great.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Variable_H posted:

What's even the point of rooting a Nexus or Pixel device though (or really any android phone these days tbh)? Seems kinda pointless.

Host-based adblocking instead of VPN-based adblocking
Proper self-contained offline backup
Weird customization for edge cases

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

So I recorded a video for the first time with my Moto G4 Plus, but I had some problems with some stuttering and audio desync after some 2 minutes. I thought they wouldn't show up in the final video but lo and behold, my video got all hosed. What can I do to fix that?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Negrostrike posted:

So I recorded a video for the first time with my Moto G4 Plus, but I had some problems with some stuttering and audio desync after some 2 minutes. I thought they wouldn't show up in the final video but lo and behold, my video got all hosed. What can I do to fix that?

Are you recording to internal storage or an SD card? If the latter, what's the speed rating on the card?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you recording to internal storage or an SD card? If the latter, what's the speed rating on the card?

I recorded on the SD card, which I've been using for some years. I'm assuming it's not the quickest stuff around (not sure how to check the speed rating) so I guess I'll start recording on internal storage. Thanks for the heads up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Syrinxx posted:

You still cannot control which app responds to a media button (play/pause, skip, etc) being pressed in TYOOL 2017

How many apps playing media do you have running at once

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

How many apps playing media do you have running at once
None, which is why it's loving infuriating connecting my phone to my car and having a random music app begin playing where it left off 4 days ago instead of Audible playing the book I was listening to 4 hours ago

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Negrostrike posted:

I recorded on the SD card, which I've been using for some years. I'm assuming it's not the quickest stuff around (not sure how to check the speed rating) so I guess I'll start recording on internal storage. Thanks for the heads up.

If you haven't had troubles with recording videos to the SD card before, it's possible that the card is on the verge of dying. If you're using Google Photos (and you should be), then just continue writing to the internal storage and delete the local copies when you need to free up space.

P.S. the SD card probably has a number or some letters on it surrounded by a circle. That'd be your speed rating.

edit: oh and consider backing up your SD card contents if you've got anything important on there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Syrinxx posted:

None, which is why it's loving infuriating connecting my phone to my car and having a random music app begin playing where it left off 4 days ago instead of Audible playing the book I was listening to 4 hours ago

I have never had this happen, also perhaps open an app before just mashing play

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Syrinxx posted:

Was the music the last thing that you played through that particular device?

I've noticed that if I'm listening to Spotify on the way to work over a dongle in my car, then switch to pocketcasts via my BT headphones, it ends up picking up where I left off back on Spotify when I connect to the dongle in my car and hit play on that.

Basically like Spotify calls dibs on intercepting the play signal from the dongle but pocketcasts is ok with waiting for the headset to come back. I have zero idea if that's how it works or if it's even possible for it to work like that but I like to think my Pixel XL is thoughtful enough to know I fire up orbital mechanics on the headphones but old Amon Tobin music on the car dongle.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

RC Cola posted:

My edge plus 6 just had its screen shatter. Any advice on a new phone? I'm due for an upgrade and this one has no battery anymore.

if you liked the edge plus you'll probably love the pixel xl or galaxy s8+

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

RC Cola posted:

Go to a Verizon store (maybe other telco will have the phones too, I'm not sure). Play with the Pixel XL, Iphone 7+ (even if you don't want it it's a good basis of comparison), Galaxy 8+, whatever the LG offering is. Then you can see how much colors, screen size, "snappiness", etc. matter to you.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I went from S6 Edge to Pixel XL and have no regrets.

Getting off Samsung software is a huge improvement and you'll be able to remove any bloatware that comes from your provider. Also you get monthly security patches and I assume full OS versions directly from Google

Try it out in store, it's buttery and has a great battery (my edge was also on its last legs in terms of battery so I know this is a concern).

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
What are your thoughts on S8 vs pixel?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Tsyni posted:

I don't think you can go wrong with either. My recommendation is to try both out and see which one feels better to you

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tsyni posted:

I have both. Pixel is better in literally every single way, except for the physical design of the S8 (minus the dumb fingerprint scanner location).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Take whatever Clam Down says with a huge Google logo sized grain of salt.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Ultimately, since the dude's phone broke, he'll probably want to go with something he can actually purchase right now. And since the Pixel XL is out of stock unless you have Verizon, well, that limits the choices.

EDIT: Hmm, maybe it isn't out of stock? Seems purchasable right now.
EDIT2: Normal Pixel is out of stock, Pixel XL is in-stock!

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Tsyni posted:

They're both great phones; best not to decide until you try them. You'll probably get the Pixel XL if you care most about how smooth/snappy the interface is or how quickly you get software updates. You'll probably get the Galaxy S8+ if you care about how pretty the phone and screen are.

There are other minor convenience features that I think on average people don't care about, but individual preferences might vary. For example Google gives unlimited quality photo storage to Pixel owners. Samsung Pay and iris scanner improve my quality of life a lot. Pixel will probably get an extra major android version. Galaxy has an SD Card slot.

They're basically even on sound quality, camera, bluetooth, battery life.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

clamiam45 posted:

They're both great phones; best not to decide until you try them. You'll probably get the Pixel XL if you care most about how smooth/snappy the interface is or how quickly you get software updates. You'll probably get the Galaxy S8+ if you care about how pretty the phone and screen are.

There are other minor convenience features that I think on average people don't care about, but individual preferences might vary. For example Google gives unlimited quality photo storage to Pixel owners. Samsung Pay and iris scanner improve my quality of life a lot. Pixel will probably get an extra major android version. Galaxy has an SD Card slot.

They're basically even on sound quality, camera, bluetooth, battery life.

Oh hey it's CLAM DOWN's dupe account lol

Just kidding of course, this is a great rundown. If you are able to compare them side by side you will notice that patented Samsung lag among the UI but it is a beautiful phone with arguably the best looking screen and performance is tolerable once you're used to it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Really

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

performance is tolerable once you're used to it.

In the same way being submerged in an ice bath is tolerable once your body has become completely adjusted and numb.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Galaxy and Pixel aren't quite even on bluetooth, haven't been for a few years now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://research.googleblog.com/2017/04/experimental-nighttime-photography-with.html

my god

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Thanks for the advice friends. I am now getting a pixel xl Tuesday woo

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

Of course he bought another $750 phone just to poo poo on it..

Have you guys really compared them side by side? There are reviews that say otherwise, but feel free to ignore all of them but one.. Honestly I have had zero performance issues with the S8+. Camera is great, Bluetooth is snappy, software is smooth and the battery life is ridiculously good (5hr+ SOT). I'm not arguing that the Pixel isn't a great phone but to say it's the literal cream of the crop is a bit cocky. Not like it doesn't have water resistance, massive availability, wireless charging or a top of the line screen to complement it. I can't fault the phone for what it brings to the table but it's not fucken perfect.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I've been sick the past 3 days so I've still been messing with the S8 a bit before I return it. After a factory reset got rid of the DQA error, the phone is already stuttering in basic tasks like scrolling home pages or through the app drawer. Same or worse in apps. Restarts, closing all apps, and even setting the resolution down to FHD+ does nothing to help it. Check out MKBHDs blind camera test on YouTube - if you don't pick mostly "Pixel" then get your eyes checked. Battery life has stayed surprisingly very, very good.

Usually I like to look outside the box but I have to agree with the thread on this one and I do not recommend to buy this phone. It's like buying the newest, best looking car with the most powerful engine, best gas mileage, and some new technology but they installed a proprietary, non-removable computer module that makes the state-of-the-art engine stutter while at idle or while driving in city traffic. In return you get a whole mess of features you'll never use or even know are there. Maybe it doesn't stutter sometimes, or you get used to it eventually since it is very mild. But at the same time, if you've ever had something that doesn't do that and works 100% perfectly solely on the stock engine (even an older model), it will always irk you that they couldn't have just left it alone to begin with and at the end of the day you're stuck with a beautiful, very expensive, stuttering super car.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

False Toaster posted:

Have you guys really compared them side by side? There are reviews that say otherwise, but feel free to ignore all of them but one.. Honestly I have had zero performance issues with the S8+. Camera is great, Bluetooth is snappy, software is smooth and the battery life is ridiculously good (5hr+ SOT). I'm not arguing that the Pixel isn't a great phone but to say it's the literal cream of the crop is a bit cocky. Not like it doesn't have water resistance, massive availability, wireless charging or a top of the line screen to complement it. I can't fault the phone for what it brings to the table but it's not fucken perfect.

I didn't buy it you dumb poo poo, it's pretty known for a while here that I get to use a variety of phones through work.

Also it's like $1100 up here, not $750.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't buy it you dumb poo poo, it's pretty known for a while here that I get to use a variety of phones through work.

Also it's like $1100 up here, not $750.

Clam down dude

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

Take whatever Clam Down says with a huge Google logo sized grain of salt.

Yes, the guy who stood up for Samsung for as long as I can remember until the Pixel (remembering that then, too, he had access to the latest both from Samsung and Google) is a total Google shill.

I'll admit I'm in the tank for Google but CLAM DOWN and Desk Lamp are the two main Samsung posters that I'd always read carefully because I know they're being intellectually honest in both their support and criticism. When Clam started talking up the Pixel was the moment I started getting intrigued about it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I think my Samsung opinions are also to be respected. My track record for accuracy is stellar.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

I think my Samsung opinions are also to be respected. My track record for accuracy is stellar.

Same

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

False Toaster posted:

I had compared them side by side. I have no doubts the S8 is a great choice, all I'm saying is that it follows the typical Samsung flagship where it's pretty great up to a certain point. Again, we are a pretty small group who will ostracize a phone over finer details, but I'd rather be picky and choosy rather than blindly toss a two year commitment to a Samsung.

Like everything though, the Pixel has its flaws, but is a much better choice given Google's dedication to its future and putting focus in areas the old Nexus phones did not.

You compromise no matter who you go with, it's just Samsung's reputation has been shaky lately with the Note debacle. That said if someone is going to choose a flagship, if it's not the Pixel the S8 is easily the next best option.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

False Toaster posted:

Defend your purchase harder

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

False Toaster posted:

Hi. Yes. As a big Samsung critic, I like the S8, but what forums poster CLAM DOWN wrote is correct. If you value smooth, consistent performance and component quality over aesthetics, the Pixel is still the phone to beat. The gap between the two is the smallest it's ever been, but it exists.

Also, defend your purchase.

Also also, what does "Bluetooth is snappy" mean? Are you transferring files?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
The Bluetooth only takes three tries to connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Also also, what does "Bluetooth is snappy" mean?

It starts playing a source you don't want to hear almost immediately upon starting the car.