Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You could let every nation still maintain cultural autonomy, a global government imho doesn't require a single culture (or ethnicity for that matter). All the global government would do is provide infrastructure, money and protection/safety.

All of this is so far into "never, ever going to happen in my lifetime (or even probably 10 lifetimes)" territory though that we might as well be talking about a video game strategy. Even if you support such a government if you're just a normal citizen there is absolutely nothing you can do to help it happen - there certainly will never be a presidential candidate with that on their platform that would ever get taken seriously.

Why should our one world government have a "president"?

The world is too big and different for a single government to ever rule effectively, unless its role was that of a token figurehead with no genuine authority over people's lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You could let every nation still maintain cultural autonomy, a global government imho doesn't require a single culture (or ethnicity for that matter). All the global government would do is provide infrastructure, money and protection/safety.

All of this is so far into "never, ever going to happen in my lifetime (or even probably 10 lifetimes)" territory though that we might as well be talking about a video game strategy. Even if you support such a government if you're just a normal citizen there is absolutely nothing you can do to help it happen - there certainly will never be a presidential candidate with that on their platform that would ever get taken seriously.

I think you'd run into troubles even on basic levels, but you're right that it's a pure, pure hypothetical. Like anything else, it'd be a more practical affair with fewer people.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It would obviously be broken up into levels, just like countries are now. There is no inherent reason why you can have a country with 1 billion people, but not one with 7.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

It would obviously be broken up into levels, just like countries are now. There is no inherent reason why you can have a country with 1 billion people, but not one with 7.

You can't have a country with 1 billion people without everything going to poo poo all the time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Its more to get full citizenship. Able to sue the government, represent government, vote, own property, access to fdic stuff. I dont really know. I just wish there was more stock in citizenship somehow.

Anything along the lines of what you want would disproportionately affect the poor (and thus ironically result in more Republican votes).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Unpopular font opinion: there is really nothing wrong with comic sans and the anger it produces in some people is so overblown that it makes me want to use it just to rile them up.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can't have a country with 1 billion people without everything going to poo poo all the time.

you can't have a population bigger than about 100-200 people without it going to poo poo, any bigger than that and you start to lose personal responsibility to people you know. We try and make it work though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Unpopular font opinion: there is really nothing wrong with comic sans and the anger it produces in some people is so overblown that it makes me want to use it just to rile them up.

The anger that fonts in general produce in people is absurd. It's like internet bacon obsession, but negative.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

fully agree, the hate is pure nerd cargo cult that has spilled over into every office worker now

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

Anything along the lines of what you want would disproportionately affect the poor (and thus ironically result in more Republican votes).

I dont have alll the answers. Just wished people valued citizenship

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

starkebn posted:

fully agree, the hate is pure nerd cargo cult that has spilled over into every office worker now

I've worked in a design studio where one of the designers was passionately defending Comic Sans, saying that if used properly it's as good as almost any other font. I think he was brave in his own way.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hating on Comic Sans is more of a meme at this point. There's nothing objectively wrong with it, it just sticks out when used in the wrong context and by that metric it's no worse than Impact or Papyrus.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When is comic sans used well?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mu Zeta posted:

When is comic sans used well?

-Quickly printed out sign for a church bake sale combined with some clip art

That's about it.

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

God's true gift to mankind is 007 Nightfire for the Nintendo GameCube.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You apparently don't actually understand why you get flu shots. The point of immunizing a population is to protect the members of said population who can't be immunized. People like myself have compromised immune systems and can die or be seriously injured from getting things like the flu, other people getting flu shots helps prevent us from being exposed to potentially fatal viruses.

but they cause autism which is what tumblr told me

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

PortalFreak posted:

but they cause autism which is what tumblr told me

Was this really so important to say that you just had to respond to a post from page 1 of a 139 page thread?

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

Was this really so important to say that you just had to respond to a post from page 1 of a 139 page thread?

I was thumbing through the pages, saw this and thought it'd be funny.

There's my unpopular opinion.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
For me, I just think that Comic Sans looks less 'professional'. Like if Times New Roman is like wearing a suit, Comic Sans is like a t-shirt and shorts. But as Collateral Damage said, it can have its uses.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Middle aged office ladies love comic sans for that reason. When they're leaving passive aggressive notes all over the office they add some cute clipart and use comic sans to lighten the blow.

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

King of Foolians posted:

For me, I just think that Comic Sans looks less 'professional'. Like if Times New Roman is like wearing a suit, Comic Sans is like a t-shirt and shorts. But as Collateral Damage said, it can have its uses.

I thin comic sans can work for kids stuff or if it's used ironically

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Collateral Damage posted:

Hating on Comic Sans is more of a meme at this point. There's nothing objectively wrong with it, it just sticks out when used in the wrong context and by that metric it's no worse than Impact or Papyrus.

Savage backhand

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Middle aged office ladies love comic sans for that reason. When they're leaving passive aggressive notes all over the office they add some cute clipart and use comic sans to lighten the blow.

"Please Rinse the COFFE POT Out after you USE it. No one is anyones MOTHER here!"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

"Please Rinse the COFFE POT Out after you USE it. No one is anyones MOTHER here!"

Attach a sticky note: "Make that motherfucker Ted do it."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Prog rock is naff. Most of it is just showy for the sake of being showy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Japanese TV is unwatchable due to their obsession with putting cheap looking graphics over top of everything and covering the screen in reaction shots of celebrities. Maybe some of these pranks are good or what ever but the 3 graphic and text overlays explaining the joke and 5 celebrity reaction headshots and constant pauses and cuts to see a bunch of characterless jpop stars covering their faces as they laugh ruins it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

There's a restaurant about three minutes from my house called Carolina's Diner, and the use of Comic Sans on their storefront makes me frown every time I pass them.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The world would become better off if we all just became energy beings. Relinquish the flesh and ascend to a higher plane, becoming one with the cosmos. Open your mind to the infinite realities of the Ubercosmos. I have done this and my aura throbs with puissance. Every second is like an orgasm of enlightenment and pure bliss and I dwell in this mind-space indefinitely until I feel it necessary to descend into the Human Realm and take a huge dump, only to ascend again once having shat. Y'all can do this too, if you work at it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dexie posted:

There's a restaurant about three minutes from my house called Carolina's Diner, and the use of Comic Sans on their storefront makes me frown every time I pass them.

It's not a good display font but then it wasn't designed to be a display font :shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Doujinshi should be legal in America. Everyone should be required to produce 1 doujin per year, with their real name, and as a matter of public record.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

A corporation's only social responsibility is to its shareholders. Conversely, a government's only social responsibility is to restrict the freedoms of a corporation.

Autism is a diagnosis, not a free pass to do whatever you want.

Using foreign terms in conversational English is stupid. Stop trying to sound smart by saying "faux pas" instead of "awkward, ugly, and gross".

People who swear too much are idiots. English has got one of the biggest languages in terms of words to use. Pick something else, even if "gently caress" is the Swiss army knife of conversation.

You should be able to disciple your kids without having to worry about social services coming to take your snot nosed brat away because he's out of control.

Sarcasm and irony are overrated.

...yep, think that just about covers it.

Edit: stupid phone, I said pas not pax!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Pick posted:

Doujinshi should be legal in America. Everyone should be required to produce 1 doujin per year, with their real name, and as a matter of public record.

All robots should have big titties

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

brokenknee posted:

A corporation's only social responsibility is to its shareholders. Conversely, a government's only social responsibility is to restrict the freedoms of a corporation.

Autism is a diagnosis, not a free pass to do whatever you want.

Using foreign terms in conversational English is stupid. Stop trying to sound smart by saying "faux pas" instead of "awkward, ugly, and gross".

People who swear too much are idiots. English has got one of the biggest languages in terms of words to use. Pick something else, even if "gently caress" is the Swiss army knife of conversation.

You should be able to disciple your kids without having to worry about social services coming to take your snot nosed brat away because he's out of control.

Sarcasm and irony are overrated.

...yep, think that just about covers it.

Edit: stupid phone, I said pas not pax!

when you were typing this post, did you ever think it would make you look TOO cool?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pick posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Dōjinshi (同人誌?, often transliterated as doujinshi) is the Japanese term for self-published works, usually magazines, Manga or novels.
Well, good news, I guess, since self-publishing is definitely already legal in America. :shrug:

brokenknee posted:

Trying to sound smart by using words that have been part of the English language for hundreds of years? How long does a word have to be in common use before it stops being "foreign"?
(Also, that's not what "faux pas" means)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brian Michael Benis would be a good user name.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Doujinshi usually uses licensed characters, like a Tijuana bible, which definitely have been shut dooooooown.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

Doujinshi usually uses licensed characters, like a Tijuana bible, which definitely have been shut dooooooown.

I see you are unfamiliar with the opus that is Tails Gets Trolled.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That reminds me, I gotta record chapter 8.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Pick posted:

You start, and show us the first chapter of your masterpiece, Boku no Picko.

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

Leavemywife posted:

You start, and show us the first chapter of your masterpiece, Boku no Picko.

What if there was a spinoff where the boys from BNP got kids that they have sex with and it was called "Boku no Picko Your Noseu"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Private property rights, as undestood by capitalism an neolibralism, don't exist.