Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Wasn't sure if Kimi was supposed to be able to leave the pits or not, but it made for an entertaining end of P2.
https://twitter.com/F1/status/858015844277911553

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Basticle posted:

Oh lordy, Honda is saying they could supply a 3rd team (besides McLaren and sauber) next year.

How many engines do they think they can produce? McLaren will go through 100 by the end of the season. They're really looking for some production volume on this project I guess.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

andyf posted:

Wasn't sure if Kimi was supposed to be able to leave the pits or not, but it made for an entertaining end of P2.
https://twitter.com/F1/status/858015844277911553

Kimi just wants to get the gently caress out of Russia as quickly as possible.

We'll see the real results. Back in Russia all they'll see is Kvyat winning the WDC/WCC/Putin Cup and the race win all in one weekend.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

learnincurve posted:

Be honest who here hasn't picked up a pen and had to take a second to remember how to use it.

Pretty sure that if I were to pick up le pen I would know immediately to throw her in la seine

Here all semaine folks

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Stoffel is winning!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

Bryter posted:

Pretty sure that if I were to pick up le pen I would know immediately to throw her in la seine

Here all semaine folks

I like your stylo, bonhomme!

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

GramCracker posted:

I know this is from a page or so back, but I'm sorry. WHAT??? :gizz:

Dynamite Dog posted:

Go find some photos of the first F1 cars with wings and look at the mounting points. Most go right to the hubs.

Yeah, the early ones were crude examples of this. I've heard of concepts like a GT car having both a floating chin spoiler/splitter and rear wing. The big idea is to sacrifice some (fairly substantial) unsprung weight for an aero platform that is absolutely rock solid and unaffected by body roll and dive/squat. Another added bonus is you can run a somewhat more compliant suspension without penalty to the aero which reaps benefits for ride quality/driver comfort at the expense of a little ultimate mechanical grip.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm actually surprised they still allow that in FSAE since that was a thing that I'm pretty sure got banned in F1 in the early 80s. Isn't it like an even worse version of ground effects where it's great until you hit a bump and then all the aero on the car stalls.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm actually surprised they still allow that in FSAE since that was a thing that I'm pretty sure got banned in F1 in the early 80s. Isn't it like an even worse version of ground effects where it's great until you hit a bump and then all the aero on the car stalls.

Yeah that sounds about right. FSAE has seen some crazy poo poo over the years, including that custom block 550cc V8 that Western Washington tried to run many years ago before the rules changed to allow only factory built I4 motorcycle engines. They custom milled the block as well as the transmission case but they got DQ'd because the car didn't have a built-in starter motor, and anyway it wouldn't run very smoothly or for very long because they had designed it as two separate engines connected by a common crankshaft. Apparently the Honda F1 school of engine design is just WWU.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/139953-buxton-alonso-and-alternative-facts?showall=1&limitstart=

A good article.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

What article is he referring to besides the Jenna fryer one?

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

I'm loving how Nando's livestreams always get interrupted by one of the other drivers at some point.

Te quero == I want you (I think)

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

andyf posted:

I'm loving how Nando's livestreams always get interrupted by one of the other drivers at some point.

Te quero == I want you (I think)

i like you/ i love you

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
His response was even better :3:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Can't wait for Ericsson to enter the chat and have to explain that he's an F1 driver too, no really

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah Mercs gotta be sandbagging. They did this to me last time, then Lewis had 2 tenths up his rear end for the end of Q3.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah Mercs gotta be sandbagging. They did this to me last time, then Lewis had 2 tenths up his rear end for the end of Q3.

You're thinking of teabagging.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Coming from watching MotoGP and working on bikes, this is so absurd to me, the idea that Honda can't make a goddamn engine. If anybody on planet earth should be able to make a reliable engine, it's Honda. More so than Mercedes Ferrari and Renault, that's for goddamn sure.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What the gently caress is this second episode of The Grand Tour. They barely did poo poo with the Aston Martin Vulcan, put that fat gently caress American in the car and then started a terrible spoof of Edge of Tomorrow?

Which, by the way, is a fantastic movie.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Coming from watching MotoGP and working on bikes, this is so absurd to me, the idea that Honda can't make a goddamn engine. If anybody on planet earth should be able to make a reliable engine, it's Honda. More so than Mercedes Ferrari and Renault, that's for goddamn sure.

Honda has sucked at cars for a long time now. It really is bizarre. Imagine Pedrosa but as a car forever crashing and injuring himself. Speaking of Pedrosa he's gonna be on like elephant tranqs later on in life when all the pains and aches of his numerous surgeries catches up hard with him.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I know in karts Hondas tend to be a bit finnicky and there was a lot of 4 stroke guys happy when they switched to Briggs.

edit: Having said that Honda's main struggles seem to be with the TJI and the fact that they were full on retarded when they decided to design the engine purely using single cylinder prototypes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 29, 2017

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Wirth1000 posted:

I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I know in karts Hondas tend to be a bit finnicky and there was a lot of 4 stroke guys happy when they switched to Briggs.

edit: Having said that Honda's main struggles seem to be with the TJI and the fact that they were full on retarded when they decided to design the engine purely using single cylinder prototypes.

Imagine how that single cylinder prototype would make a cart move though. You could probably add a blender motor and some laptop batteries for KERS too, assuming the engine wouldn't shake that apart.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

What the gently caress is this second episode of The Grand Tour. They barely did poo poo with the Aston Martin Vulcan, put that fat gently caress American in the car and then started a terrible spoof of Edge of Tomorrow?

The Grand Tour is terrible.
It's all the worst bits of Old-New Top Gear, only ramped up to 11.
Post-Evans New-New Top Gear is also not great, but if you like cars it's vaguely more watchable.

Edge of Tomorrow is a very good movie starring Tom Cruise, which is a combination of words I never thought I'd type again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Grand Tour would be impressive if it were aliens' first attempt at a human TV show.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Don't sully the acting career of Mr Tom Cruise thanks very much. He is good actor also a cool dude.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Wirth1000 posted:

Thats the only one I did not watch until the end. However... that Vulcan was the poo poo, loving gorgeous.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The 3rd episode is so far way better. I'm loving this grand tour and I love Hammond's Hellcat. Seems odd cause usually it's Clarkson who comes out with the big puffin' powwwwwwweeerrr poo poo and he's more like James in this one.

Fuckin' love that Hellcat.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah Mercs gotta be sandbagging. They did this to me last time, then Lewis had 2 tenths of a meter up his rear end for the end of Q3.

Wow, mods?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sky are doing this awesome thing where they are showing the interviews of Seb and Lewis in the same way that they do the boxer interviews with Quick cuts back and forth between them with the same questions.,

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

learnincurve posted:

Sky are doing this awesome thing where they are showing the interviews of Seb and Lewis in the same way that they do the boxer interviews with Quick cuts back and forth between them with the same questions.,

sk1 is trash and that sounds lame as gently caress

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Correct on the first point but it beats the way the normally do it with a succession of driver interviews where they all say the same things.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Wirth1000 posted:

The 3rd episode is so far way better. I'm loving this grand tour and I love Hammond's Hellcat. Seems odd cause usually it's Clarkson who comes out with the big puffin' powwwwwwweeerrr poo poo and he's more like James in this one.

Fuckin' love that Hellcat.

I always assumed the they hated the audience/news/guest part of topgear and it was forced by the BBC. Them killing the guest showing how glad they are to not have to do that poo poo anymore..

...then they get a new show and ramp that tent poo poo to 12.

cancel the tent and just tour

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Alonso skipped the first half of P3. Probably afraid the McHonda won't be able to finish a complete session.

I bet both Honda's won't finish again :negative:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ferrari and Mercedes are dick waving while still trying to sandbag and it's amazing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh Jesus, waffles just drove his little socks off only to be 4 seconds off the pace.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Norns posted:

I think the last time I even saw a pen was when I was watching John Wick 2.

That was a pencil, a loving pencil.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ferrari looking good.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Will buxton tried to write an article in response to the other ones about alonso going to the 500. It's... okay?

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/139953-buxton-alonso-and-alternative-facts

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

IANG but Lee McKenzie needs a stylist; those leggings are so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Kilmers Elbow posted:

IANG but Lee McKenzie needs a stylist; those leggings are so bad.

gently caress you

• Locked thread