Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

PantsBandit posted:

I am a proud american and refuse to learn how to gauge metric distances by sight.

One square on your map is 100m across, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I am a proud american and refuse to learn how to gauge metric distances by sight.

Gauge them by map squares instead! :eng101:

Also unscoped hip fire is way better than you'd think at even moderate ranges.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

That actually does help. I also just went and turned my sensitivity way down for anything 2x and above and I think it also helped a lot.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Party Plane Jones posted:

Make sure you're zeroing in for whatever range you're engaging in.

Don't mess with the zero, it doesn't really work. Just adjust based on where your shots are landing.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Obstacle2 posted:

Don't mess with the zero, it doesn't really work. Just adjust based on where your shots are landing.

I see people write this all the time, yet myself and a friend will spot for each other (depending on who has the rifle) and we always hit when zeroed to the correct distance.
Confirmation bias?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

*opens up video*
*sees you trying to shoot at someone 100+ meters away with a vector + holographic sight*
*closes video*
I have no idea what happens but you deserved it

I spent that loving round looting 10+ houses and all I found was a shotgun and by some miracle a Vector. AND I've only found the Vector three loving times and have never gotten a kill with it. Once I was killed before I got to use it and twice I desynced or the game crashed so when I saw someone in the open I was MAKING drat SURE I USED THE loving VECTOR FINALLY.

...AND YOU SAW WHAT loving HAPPENED. :saddowns:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

WirelessPillow posted:

I see people write this all the time, yet myself and a friend will spot for each other (depending on who has the rifle) and we always hit when zeroed to the correct distance.
Confirmation bias?

It definitely is. Changing the zero absolutely works.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I came from battlefield where there is no zeroing distance bullshit and I just use the dashed lines AS GOD INTENDED

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Does anyone have any idea why this game would run better windowed than fullscreen? I'd rather run it full screen but it runs at what feels like half the framerate. Yes, I'm using the same resolution and settings, its just switching between fullscreen and fullscreen (windowed).

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Maybe vertical sync?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

if everything ran great borderless windowed why would you ever want it running fullscreen. i am addicted to alt+tab

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
I can use this game in fullscreen as if it was borderless with a two-screen setup, if you open the steam overlay or open the inventory, it lets me just move over to the other screen and do stuff without having the game minimized. I wouldn't know of any other game where this works right now.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Guys! Guys! Guys! I was the only one to drop on the school! And guess what! There was no level 3 equipment in the place :argh:.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

fyallm posted:

The reason I am asking for a stand alone mic is because my laptop has 2 separate female connectors for headphones and microphone and I bought one of those 1 to 2 connectors and it seemed to make everything be worse, sound and mic.

I guess I will just buy a boomstick and hope it doesn't snap in my carry on bag

A company named Zalman makes or used to make a mic that would clip onto your headphone cord. I've never used it but heard good things.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

A company named Zalman makes or used to make a mic that would clip onto your headphone cord. I've never used it but heard good things.

Using it right now in a game I am dead and alt tabbed from. Upsides: it's five dollars, has a long cord, is pretty durable, and clips on pretty well to most headsets I've ever owned. Downsides: Audio quality is acceptable at best. People won't have trouble understanding you, but you won't sound crisp and clear and professional.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I came from battlefield where there is no zeroing distance bullshit and I just use the dashed lines AS GOD INTENDED

Battlefield 1 has zeroing, but it's scout class only.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

Zalman mics are really cheap, and really hit or miss in build quality. I've bought 2 or 3 of them and the best one of the bunch could only be used if it was physically touching my mouth.

My go-to cheap mic for a while was a Logitech Desktop Mic. Worked pretty well.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 29, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
The amount of pop out 3rd person kills I get in this game is pretty gross. I can only imagine it is not fun to be on the receiving end of it. Hardcore mode cannot come soon enough.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What I would prefer is limited 3rd person. 3rd person, but it locks your viewpoint in, and you can't use alt to spin it around. Kind of like how The Last of Us Multiplayer works.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i kinda wish third person just only had a view range of 10 or 20 feet or something really limited. i like how it plays in cities but not in fields

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Party Plane Jones posted:

Zalman mics are really cheap, and really hit or miss in build quality. I've bought 2 or 3 of them and the best one of the bunch could only be used if it was physically touching my mouth.

My go-to cheap mic for a while was a Logitech Desktop Mic. Worked pretty well.

Battery powered lavaliers aren't bad, either - plus most are only ~$20. Just remember to unclip them before getting up to walk away.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-Omnidirectional-Condenser-Lavalier-Microphone/dp/B002HJ9PTO

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
In further headset chat. The Steelseries Arctic 5 is the only gaming headset I've ever been satisfied with. I have a giant head (size 8 fitted cap) and the adjustable strap is a god send. Good mic too.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Dropping in to agree about and swear by the Hyper X Cloud 2's. Legit don't think I'll ever switch off these.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gazaar posted:

Dropping in to agree about and swear by the Hyper X Cloud 2's. Legit don't think I'll ever switch off these.

Cloud 2s when they had that R6 Siege deal definitely got a bunch of people to buy them. It's too bad Siege is the one game that has issues with the USB DAC.

Also found a case of the invisible man: there's a clipping issue on the hospital ground:

https://streamable.com/i04c1

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My current favourite place to drop is the ruins with church. You can pretty much always get there no matter which way the plane flies, it's usually empty or near empty, and there's plenty of decent loot spots there. Plus, whenever people do drop there with me, they practically never go to that ruined tower on the high ground where it's easy to get an overview of the whole area and ambush them.

In addition, it's central enough that the circle is almost always on your side, and there are plenty of good cover spots to get some easy kills in the midgame.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Headset chat? I just bought a logitech 633 a few weeks ago and it seems alright. I don't really have any comparison because I was using a pair of Beats headphones with a v-moda boompro and while the headphones sounded "ok" the microphone always was extremely noisy when hooked up to my PC.

Headset sounds ok. The surround features are kinda meh for most stuff but really noticeable and sweet in a handful of games (can't really tell with PUBG, weirdly enough). Microphone doesn't sound as clear but it's much, MUCH less noisy which for me is far more desirable. Managed to get them for 80 bux so pretty happy with that.

Fake edit: OH YEAH I forgot. If you ever see a review of these or the 933 they'll probably mention that they sit kind of weird on your head? They totally loving do so if you are the kind that likes the headband to be really far back on your head, beware. These things feel like they are meant to be worn with the headband sitting square down the middle of your skull or maybe even closer to your brow, otherwise they feel kind of loose and like they might slip off. It's not really a huge deal, I've never had them fall off or anything, but you'll probably unconsciously fiddle with them and I've noticed I sometimes take them off when they are not needed despite being otherwise really comfortable.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 29, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
These are mine, and they were worth every penny: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GAME-ONE-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00GWU8FTK

They're 'open' headphones, so you can wear them for hours without worrying about "Swimmer's Ear."

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Eating some tasty chicken dinner right now.

I won a game by going from school, to 3 apartments, then I almost reached the road just north of apartments.

Campy as gently caress but a win is a win :toot:

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

These are mine, and they were worth every penny: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-GAME-ONE-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00GWU8FTK

They're 'open' headphones, so you can wear them for hours without worrying about "Swimmer's Ear."

If you're in a communal space you will annoy the poo poo outta of your partner/mother/that opossum that lives in your goon hole with you. They can hear everything.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Bardeh posted:

My current favourite place to drop is the ruins with church. You can pretty much always get there no matter which way the plane flies, it's usually empty or near empty, and there's plenty of decent loot spots there. Plus, whenever people do drop there with me, they practically never go to that ruined tower on the high ground where it's easy to get an overview of the whole area and ambush them.

In addition, it's central enough that the circle is almost always on your side, and there are plenty of good cover spots to get some easy kills in the midgame.

watertown is basically the same thing, with the caveat of being loving insane to navigate if you dont know whats going on, so you can always gently caress people up because now they're swimming or they miss a jump

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
PUBG only outputs in stereo, surround virtualization features are generally not going to help (not that they usually do anyway).

As usual my recommendation is to get studio headphones and a clip on or desk top mic, Sennheiser HD215 go for 100$ or so and are really awesome.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
Made it to the very end, in the ruins, came from a great angle from the north that avoided a lot of danger, ripped some dudes up with a suppressed vector, got caught on geometry and died outside of the zone for second place

wanna die

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Studio posted:

Eating some tasty chicken dinner right now.

I won a game by going from school, to 3 apartments, then I almost reached the road just north of apartments.

Campy as gently caress but a win is a win :toot:

I looked at the VoD and honestly this win was a loving miracle hollllly poo poo.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138843711

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I lose pretty much every long range firefight I engage in but storming a building gets me more wins than losses, it seems. Good for early game, not so much for mid-late game where I'm chasing down the circle because I'm an idiot that can't find a vehicle. Maybe I need to focus on my strengths and pick off those that are paying a little too much attention to the field in front of them. :smith:

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Got my first AWM out of a care package. Got run off by some dill hole I couldn't see. Finally found him, go to ADS, that gun doesn't have irons. gently caress.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

something bothers me dudes

how tha gently caress is it that the welding mask is a level 3 helmet and the army helmet is a level 2 one?

doesn't make any fuckin' sense

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Xachariah posted:

something bothers me dudes

how tha gently caress is it that the welding mask is a level 3 helmet and the army helmet is a level 2 one?

doesn't make any fuckin' sense

It's not a welding helmet. It's a legit Russian Military helmet.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'd be curious about a first person only mode but I feel like the first person camera and movement system they currently have in place needs a lot of work. It's fine for when you're aiming down sights but moving around looks and feels really weird and rough. It feels like a first person camera slapped into a third person game as opposed to a properly thought out system.

e: and I'm guessing they'll need to get the climbing system working before first person so navigating terrain and low walls isn't a nightmare

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 29, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Sick of losing gunfights because the other guy has a higher loving ping :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This game will never have a big 1st person only community unless there are more elements added into the 'hardcore' game mode, stuff that actually makes the game considerably more challenging beyond just not letting people peek around walls. And at the point you're gonna wonder what impetus the dev team will have to add features that will only be accessible to a fraction of the community.

The ARMA\DayZ community always had 1st person servers and they were always unpopulated and eventually became much less common, people are just used to this specific playstyle which everyone uses and has become a staple of this tactical multiplayer shooter genre.

• Locked thread