Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheMaestroso posted:

The cool thing is that there are so few ways to get screwed by the half-illusion clause. Either the opponent spends a card on it, or you personally mess up and target it yourself. That's pretty solid for a two-mana 2/3 at uncommon.

The ol' 2 for 0! Almost as good as when Amaz tied to pump his own Glyph Keeper for lethal.

https://clips.twitch.tv/RacySneakyWoodcockTinyFace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
That is a pro click if I ever saw one.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Alright, let's see where this bomb first pick takes me.

E:

I'm feeling pretty good about this, guys.

EE:

I'm actually curious if anyone has an opinion on whether or not I should play Spring//Mind. It was the last card I cut from 28+ cards I started with when I started deck-building.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 28, 2017

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Spring//Mind seems like a sealed card. I want it if I have a bomb splash and I'm playing for the late game. Seems real bad in draft.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Basically ask yourself if you'd play Spring, ignoring Mind. Mind is upside that makes it a better card, but not by so much that it should really weigh into your evaluation.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Necronomicon posted:

Holy moly don't do this. Don't sell them, don't trade them. Don't be that guy.

To be fair, even the best-looking counterfeits can have a weird gummy texture to them that differs greatly from the real deal. I know this because of reasons.

When I bought my proxies I specifically found ones that were significantly different in feel. That way I don't confuse them with my real cards.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
Enjoying banned-top legacy a ton so far. Played an actual esper stoneblade mirror.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

The Lord of Hats posted:

Basically ask yourself if you'd play Spring, ignoring Mind. Mind is upside that makes it a better card, but not by so much that it should really weigh into your evaluation.

This is essentially why I cut it, but I was curious having not played with it or UG yet. Thanks, guys.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15374&d=293511

Dunno if this will be a continuing thing but I'm happy

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

He doesn't claim that the imaged cards are listed in order at all, just that those groups of cards fit in the categories he made. And after drafting several times over the past week I can say that the top categories are pretty spot on (at least in regard to the cards I've played with/against). There's obviously going to be some disconnect because very few people will be able to see every card played in their time with the format, especially in an actually good shell.
The top 2 categories are fine, though I would swap Drake Haven, which is almost Pack Rat level insane if you get it early enough to draft around, with Gideon, who is fine but not that bomby. Also I think Commit/Memory is on par with the rest of its cycle but he has the other 4 way up here and that one much lower.

The 3rd and 4th sections are where I think he starts to really underrate the cheap exert creatures and bounce spells relative to the actual removal and grindy stuff. This is a faster format than people made it out to be (just like every freaking set) and people are bottlenecked on mana much more often than cards in my experience, so bounce is better than usual. On the other side of the spectrum, I think he also completely missed on Wander in Death though that's understandable since you have to go all the way back to I think Mirrodin Besieged before you find another set where the 2x raise dead card was as strong as it is here.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

mailorder bees! posted:

Enjoying banned-top legacy a ton so far. Played an actual esper stoneblade mirror.
Ahem, it's called topless legacy.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

odiv posted:

Ahem, it's called topless legacy.

drat. so obvious and i didnt even think of it. i should have been calling it that the whole time

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Would a Divination variant like this be too powerful?

UUU
Instant
Draw two cards.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Tales of Woe posted:

The top 2 categories are fine, though I would swap Drake Haven, which is almost Pack Rat level insane if you get it early enough to draft around, with Gideon, who is fine but not that bomby. Also I think Commit/Memory is on par with the rest of its cycle but he has the other 4 way up here and that one much lower.

The 3rd and 4th sections are where I think he starts to really underrate the cheap exert creatures and bounce spells relative to the actual removal and grindy stuff. This is a faster format than people made it out to be (just like every freaking set) and people are bottlenecked on mana much more often than cards in my experience, so bounce is better than usual. On the other side of the spectrum, I think he also completely missed on Wander in Death though that's understandable since you have to go all the way back to I think Mirrodin Besieged before you find another set where the 2x raise dead card was as strong as it is here.

Thank you. I was legitimately just fishing for your differing opinion. I agree that karsten's list is pretty bad. There's no real reason to read limited or deckbuilding articles between set release and pro tour, sadly.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

AlternateNu posted:

UUU
Instant
Draw two cards.

Honestly seems much worse than Hieroglyphic Illumination and much worse than Glimmer of Genius.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Procrastinator posted:

Thank you. I was legitimately just fishing for your differing opinion. I agree that karsten's list is pretty bad. There's no real reason to read limited or deckbuilding articles between set release and pro tour, sadly.
Ixlan Content is going to be so bad, two months between release and tour

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mailorder bees! posted:

I've played a bunch of fast combo and a bunch of True-name decks Death and Taxes can't ever beat. So hooray, my deck is unplayable too! What an improvement to the format.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

AlternateNu posted:

UUU
Instant
Draw two cards.

We've seen several cards with templates like:

2U
Instant
Draw two cards, [drawback].

Where the drawback is usually discard a card. We've also seen plenty of

3U
Instant Draw two cards. [upside]

I imagine

1UU
Instant
Draw two cards.

would be fine.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
sitting around after round one of fnm everyone seems to be happy and having fun and glad saheeli is banned.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

80s James Hetfield posted:

sitting around after round one of fnm everyone seems to be happy and having fun and glad saheeli is banned.

Unfortunately, for lovers of blink effects, she isn't.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

suicidesteve posted:

I'm still convinced that he buys 20 of every card in every deck he makes and makes a killing on them a few days after posting one of his terrible videos where somehow his 19 card combo that folds to any interaction comes together perfectly several times in a row.

Of course he does. It's not even something he hides: he's a mtgfinance speculator and collection flipper.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i 'm about to dr ft drunk yall 3-0 incoming

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
gently caress I'm jelly...

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I want UU sorc draw 2 cards. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
So here's today's "can this work in standard"

It's Ya Boy Drake
4 Drake Haven

4 Cast Out
4 Censor
4 Curator of Mysteries
3 Hieroglyphic Illumination
2 Archfiend of Ifnir

2 Torrential Gearhulk
1 Kefnet
2 Disallow
1 Essence Scatter
3 Fatal Push
2 Grasp of Darkness
1 Blessed Alliance

1 Hedron Archive
26 Lands w/all 8 cyclers

Everything between Kefnet and Archive is flexible depending on what actually ends up being good in this crazy upside down post cat world, but I like this as a start

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i 'm about to dr ft drunk yall 3-0 incoming

Quoting for posterity

Re: the post above this: you should add one or two of the black cycling matters enchantment as an alternate win condition

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Something came up tonight that the release notes don't really clarify: what happens if you remove a Heart-Piercer Manticore in response to its trigger? The wording is kind of weird, using "When you do" instead of "If you do", so it's actually two triggers. My interpretation was that it worked like exploit: if the creature isn't on the battlefield when the first trigger resolves, the second ability won't trigger. The other argument is that since there's no line break between the two, they are all part of the same ability, and it goes off anyway.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry Barry brand new oracle paragraph 603.12 has your back. (It's not actually published yet)

quote:

This rule is all about reflexive triggered abilities, as seen on Heart-Piercer Manticore. These are a new thing—they work like delayed triggered abilities (of course you know exactly what those are, right?) except that after creating the trigger that floats in nowhere, delayed triggered abilities wait while reflexive triggered abilities immediately look back at what's happened earlier and trigger if appropriate.

So to me when the first trigger resolves the second does immediately too, and happens iff you did do the sacrifice.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This is some dumb dumb magic on lsv's stream (Torrential timetwister mirror)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Dumb predictions for tomorrow.

Red god turns into a 15$+ card.
Green god continues to be solid but people end up playing too many copies.
G/W tokens actually gets played again.
U/X control decks of all types make up a good chunk of the room.
Mardu show itself to still be a good deck but overperforms due to the better players in the room playing the deck collectively.
R/U emerge feasts on creature decks.
R/W exert and mono black zombies get some feature matches and things spike due to casual appeal.

Probably wrong about everything but I am drunk and fnm was fun. Still exciting to watch some standard as hilarious as that sounds.

(Also fling is going to see constructed play)

Sickening fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 29, 2017

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah how do you ever finish game 1 in commit//memory control mirrors?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

yeah how do you ever finish game 1 in commit//memory control mirrors?

An opposing manland

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I managed to beat a resolved Sandwurm Convergence in draft tonight by going Trial of Zeal targeting you, Trial of Zeal targeting you, Cartouche of Knowledge, bounce my trials, you're dead next turn. :smaug::getin:

Entropic fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 29, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GeneX posted:

Quoting for posterity

Re: the post above this: you should add one or two of the black cycling matters enchantment as an alternate win condition

i went 1-1-1 with the sweetest U/B cycling deck ever, had a ton of fun even tho it wasn't the greatest record lol

i had both drake haven and faith of the devoted and got to live the dream of both of them in play with a hand full of cyclers once

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
for the record, this means that i draft better drunk then i do sober lol

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

for the record, this means that i draft better drunk then i do sober lol

Same! I overthink everything from drafting to playing unless I'm a little buzzed. My lifetime drink and draft record is like 80% higher than sober.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
We did limited in FNM tonight and I pulled 3 drake havens. It is loving raining drakes in this bitch.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Sweet draft tonight, had a grand total of 1 rares in my deck (Blue/Black) but managed to 2-1 & drew for 3rd

Lost to 4 Fan Bearers/2 Sandwurm Convergence which was absolutely insane (was not his first draft!)

e: Pulled a white God from the prize packs and a Shadow of the Grave which I'm thinking might work in Jeskai Ascendancy...

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

suicidesteve posted:

I've played a bunch of fast combo and a bunch of True-name decks Death and Taxes can't ever beat. So hooray, my deck is unplayable too! What an improvement to the format.

What fast combo are you losing to?

And is this like the shops restrictions where unplayable means playable afterwards and now the most played deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm feeling pretty good about this, guys.

A few things about this draft deck -

1) Is Oashra Cultivator playable? It seems so durdly and an absolutely horrible topdeck lategame, and it cannot possibly be better than the Essence Scatter in your sideboard. You also have Tah-Crop Skirmisher if you need low drops.

2) Irrigated Farmland is better than an Island.

3) River Serpent seems better than Colossapede. The versatility of being able to cycle it for one mana is worth the extra mana on the actual cost.

4) Aven Initiate is very good if you can afford another four drop. It's a 3 power flier for 4 that embalms, that's a good deal.

TheAsterite posted:

Speaking of which, what's a good jeweler's loupe for magic cards? I don't want some cheap $5 one, just something that'll last a while.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015RINTFM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

That one has worked perfectly for me for about a year. Dunno if there's a cheaper/better one available.