Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, when they actually get paid.

Mostly monthly.

And the KHL deal was some teams, far from all of them. Most notably Sochi and Medvesak, but I can't recall any other teams from the top of my head - and I believe it's been sorted out now as the oil price isn't tanking any more.

And there isn't any of those issues in any of the other major European leagues. I can understand Americans wanting to play at home to stay on their own continent, but there is a reason you see very few European career AHLers compared to the amount of players that goes from America to Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Preds lost a game?? I'm in disbelief. I demand a do-over!!

But seriously, apart from Fiddler's deserved misconduct, that officiating was loving garbage. How the hell can the refs give one team five Power Plays and the other team zero??

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

bizarre deformity posted:

Preds lost a game?? I'm in disbelief. I demand a do-over!!

But seriously, apart from Fiddler's deserved misconduct, that officiating was loving garbage. How the hell can the refs give one team five Power Plays and the other team zero??

lmao I love it. The Blues have about 85% of their games where their opponents have more PPs than them and one of the rare times they get the officiating bounce opposing fans can't stop crying.

No penalty on this one btw https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/858128826932629504

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

bizarre deformity posted:

It managed to happen in Game 3 of the Flames-Ducks series where the Flames got 6 PPs and the Ducks 0. Basically refs are, and always will be, inconsistent (also bad). Just need to hope your team exceeds despite the lopsided PP advantage.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Mike_V posted:

lmao I love it. The Blues have about 85% of their games where their opponents have more PPs than them and one of the rare times they get the officiating bounce opposing fans can't stop crying.

No penalty on this one btw https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/858128826932629504

The blues are also one of the dirtier teams in the league soooo.......
^this also applies to the ducks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's legal. The dude's name is literally instructions to hit him in the face.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I feel like the euro leagues are willing to be more generous with contract length compared to NHL/AHL for fringe guys too. Some will sacrifice comforts of home for that security.

Ryan Whitney wrote an awesome article for the players tribune about his time in Russia if you want some perspective on it: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ryan-whitney-russia-khl/

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It appears that the Pittsburgh Penguins are going to win the Stanley Cup.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

I feel like the euro leagues are willing to be more generous with contract length compared to NHL/AHL for fringe guys too. Some will sacrifice comforts of home for that security.

Ryan Whitney wrote an awesome article for the players tribune about his time in Russia if you want some perspective on it: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ryan-whitney-russia-khl/

A lot of players like the added security of playing for a team where you know you're likely to get picked, and even more feel that they're washing out of the level they feel they can play at and are just trying to hold on to that dream.

How many ECHL'ers do you know of in the NHL?
It's starting to be a thing, but that's more because of people like Kyle Dubas who view it as an important weeding out point.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The oilers sold out their arena during an away game for the watch party, they sold the tickets for $5 a piece with the money going to their charity, and people were scalping tickets.

Scalping tickets sold for charity to an arena where hockey isn't being played.

Maybe edmonton needs a second team, use rexall place and move the senators there, they can't even sell out a second round playoff game.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Citizen Tayne posted:

It appears that the Pittsburgh Penguins are going to win the Stanley Cup.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Well I didn't expect the Preds to sweep their way to the cup and I've been having incremental tequilas with each game (so six tonight) with the idea that I would reset each loss so I'm relieved there isn't going to be a sixteen tequila day in my future.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Schlesische posted:

David Desharnais

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Xtanstic posted:

Playoff game winning goal scorer David Desharnais

Fixed

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
I always love the idea that "reffies is fuckin us! We got caught breaking the rules more times than the other team. Those are not similar amounts of times being caught breaking the rules. Argh, why they giving us the business so hard."

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the last time ducks lost twice in regulation was their first two games of the season

:getin:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Oilers somehow survive to win 2-1 and now they're headed back to Edmonton with a 2-0 series lead. Holy poo poo. :getin:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Kilza posted:

Oilers somehow survive to win 2-1 and now they're headed back to Edmonton with a 2-0 series lead. Holy poo poo. :getin:

I thought you gave up on the oilers?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

heeheex2 posted:

I thought you gave up on the oilers?

I gave up on the idea they were going to win any more games after Game 4 vs. San Jose. I never gave up on cheering for them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Patrick Maroon with an ear to ear grin in the post game interview because he's still getting paid $500k by the team he just stuck a dagger in.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Up 2 games and McDavid only has 1 point so far this series. Pretty impressive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Loqieu posted:

Up 2 games and McDavid only has 1 point so far this series. Pretty impressive.

Yeah, but every second he was on the ice in game 1, he had 2 guys on him, that gives the rest of the team a 4 on 3. He shut down the shutdown men. just by standing around in the neutral zone.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Kilza posted:

I gave up on the idea they were going to win any more games after Game 4 vs. San Jose. I never gave up on cheering for them.

You gave up like no one has given up before.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Soft Shell Crab posted:

You gave up like no one has given up before.

Apparently it worked, they haven't lost since.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
blues gonna win

Nashville bad chicken make you sick

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Kilza posted:

That is the stuipidest thing I've ever heard, sorry man

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Schlesische posted:

It's starting to be a thing, but that's more because of people like Kyle Dubas who view it as an important weeding out point.

Jon Quick

10years.tweet

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Scott Darling spent two seasons in the ECHL. If I remember right that was more because he was a hot mess and had alcohol issues. Then he cleaned up and worked his way into the NHL.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

stab posted:

Just because you don't believe your team has a realistic chance of winning doesn't mean you stop cheering for them.
Supporting doesn't mean "believing in" so much as it means "hoping for".

xzzy posted:

Scott Darling spent two seasons in the ECHL. If I remember right that was more because he was a hot mess and had alcohol issues. Then he cleaned up and worked his way into the NHL.

There are a few, but it's something like 600 players in 19 years across 30 franchises.
Those numbers aren't huge, although something like 76 players from ECHL rosters were on opening night duties with their NHL teams this year which is a pretty good result and indicates a change in attitude.

Until recently, if you were clinging onto your dream you probably weren't looking at the ECHL as a realistic option unless you were down to fingernails and that was my point in the first place.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 29, 2017

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Ducks bad or Oilers good?

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Krime posted:

Ducks bad or Oilers good?

That's the gist of it.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

stab posted:

No not as stupid as the Matt Cooke/PK Subban comparison...or the idea that Martin Erat was the missing piece.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm feeling real good about my Sens this afternoon!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Prediction: Preds in 6, winning the next two games, losing game 5 in St Louis, and ending it at home in game 6

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the oilers are not going to lose another game until Connor retires

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
he's going to change his number to 98 because they win 98 games a year

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

violent sex idiot posted:

Wow you are really tempting the monkeys paw huh

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

violent sex idiot posted:

Which Connor? John Connor?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A Penguins / Oilers Stanley Cup Finals? It's more likely than you think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I'm feeling real good about my Sens this afternoon!

Me too. Chiling in the red zone!

I'm Cherokee Jack!

• Locked thread