Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dark souls 4 new npc is a centipede lady with 30 feet and when you collect 30 shoes(covenant item) she goes the gently caress outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

IronicDongz posted:

if u describe bare feet as anything other than bare feet u are probably some kind of weirdo

never head of it being associated with innocence in my life

It's pretty common, especially in the kind of mythological and religious art that Souls explicitly draws from :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

IronicDongz posted:

dark souls 4 new npc is a centipede lady with 30 feet and when you collect 30 shoes(covenant item) she goes the gently caress outside

Then she dies anyway.

EDIT: A giant cat just runs by and eats her.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Internet Kraken posted:

If the Profaned Flame runs purely off humans then why does killing one cities worth of them even matter? They could just be bringing them from somewhere else. That solution makes no sense. Plus it didn't even kill everyone in the city so if it was an intentional purge then it was a really lovely one.

EDIT: And it makes even less sense when you consider that the survivors were the ones directly responsible for the Profaned Flame's creation, yet Yorhm didn't go out of his way to kill them.

Who says it didn't? Yhorm should be dead too, but was brought back at the end of the world. His linkage could be said to have killed or sealed every human who came in contact with the Profaned Flame at the time, so it had nobody to inspire to... whatever it does. They could simply have come back with him or with the revival of the Profaned Flame.

You don't have to take my word for any of this, it's all in item descriptions. They flat out say what Yhorm tried to do ("put the Profaned Flame to rest") and what happened when he linked the fire to get it done: death to humans and humans only. The implication is crystal clear.

The Profaned Flame began to spread again when Sulyvahn saw it and went maximum rear end in a top hat. That's basically his whole story: wandered out of the painting, saw the Profaned Flame, turned into magnificent bastard.

If a human just looking at it makes them go nuts then it makes a lot of sense to kill the poo poo out of everyone who did.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 29, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tallgeese posted:

Who says it didn't? Yhorm should be dead too, but was brought back at the end of the world. His linkage could be said to have killed or sealed every human who came in contact with the Profaned Flame at the time, so it had nobody to inspire to... whatever it does. They could simply have come back with him or with the revival of the Profaned Flame.

quote:

The jailers were among the few survivors inhabiting the Profaned Capital

That's the key word there. Survivor. As in, did not die. The Profaned Flame killed most of the inhabitants but the game makes it clear that the jailors did not perish and lived among the old nobility of the Profaned Capital. It also makes sure you know how cruel and sadistic they were. Almost as if to say it is their twisted nature that shielded them from the scouring flames, which sounds weird but the Profaned Flame is operating under bizarre rules we don't understand.

Tallgeese posted:

You don't have to take my word for any of this, it's all in item descriptions. They flat out say what Yhorm tried to do ("put the Profaned Flame to rest") and what happened when he linked the fire to get it done: death to humans and humans only. The implication is crystal clear.

The Profaned Flame began to spread again when Sulyvahn saw it and went maximum rear end in a top hat. That's basically his whole story: wandered out of the painting, saw the Profaned Flame, turned into magnificent bastard.

If a human just looking at it makes them go nuts then it makes a lot of sense to kill the poo poo out of everyone who did.

quote:

Lonely Yhorm became a Lord of Cinder to put the Profaned Flame to rest, knowing full well that those who spoke of him as lord were quite insincere.

That doesn't imply what you're saying at all. All it says is that Yorhm became a Lord of Cinder to deal with the Profaned Flame. It doesn't say he did this by conjuring up some giant fire storm somehow, and that wouldn't make any sense given nobody else that has linked the First Flame as done such a thing. It also makes it sound like others were encouraging him to become a Lord of Cinder to deal with the Profaned Flame for them. If he was gonna burn everyone to death in a fire storm to do that, why would they want him to be a Lord of Cinder?

Your entire theory falls flat to me since it seems to me that the jailors were the worst examples of Profaned Capital's inhabitants, yet they did not perish. If Yorhm was trying to kill everyone associated with the Profaned Flame he did a really lovely job.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If the flame of Sin is tied to the sin of linking the first flame it might rage whenever the flame is relinked

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The real question is, did Velka wear shoes? If you asked Miyazaki I bet he'd give you a wry smile and nod diagonally so that you could not tell if he was nodding or shaking his head. Truly a mysterious master of video game lore.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

The real question is, did Velka wear shoes?

What kind of crow wears shoes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Perhaps Velka is called the Goddess of Sin because she does wear shoes. #wow #pagingvaati #worldbuilding

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Actually, "Goddess of Sin" is a translation error. As there is no "si" sound in Japanese, in the Japanese version Velka is known as the "Goddess of Shin".

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
After playing Hollow Knight, it really highlights how slipshod a lot of Dark Soul's storytelling is. I think Hollow Knight ultimately nails what Dark Souls was going for way better. You eventually do get actual answers, but you can infer so much ahead of time by paying attention.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Obligatum VII posted:

After playing Hollow Knight, it really highlights how slipshod a lot of Dark Soul's storytelling is. I think Hollow Knight ultimately nails what Dark Souls was going for way better. You eventually do get actual answers, but you can infer so much ahead of time by paying attention.

Dark Souls was never meant to be a complete, self-contained story though. Miyazaki and his team intentionally left a load of threads open-ended.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah Dark Souls is supposed to invoke how we only have bits and pieces of mythology we've unearthed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'd say the biggest black mark against DS1's storytelling is that the only alternative version to the information that Frampt feeds you is tucked away in a path that requires either an absolutely ludicrous leap of logic or sheer, outrageous chance to get to naturally.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Dark Souls was never meant to be a complete, self-contained story though. Miyazaki and his team intentionally left a load of threads open-ended.

I am aware it is intended, but being intentional does not make it good.

What they ultimately did was use it as an excuse to just throw out a whole bunch of ideas and then maybe follow up on them if they remember or feel like it.

Dark Souls manages to hit its core themes reasonably well, but everything outside that is just a mess. There's a difference between leaving specifics vague and just plain leaving EVERYTHING vague.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, to be fair regardless of the intention, what most people want is a complete self-contained story, with answers to the questions it raises. Hence unlimited lore videos which are all trying to get a solid grasp on smoke

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vermain posted:

I'd say the biggest black mark against DS1's storytelling is that the only alternative version to the information that Frampt feeds you is tucked away in a path that requires either an absolutely ludicrous leap of logic or sheer, outrageous chance to get to naturally.

Yeah I can't imagine figuring out the Kaathe path without the Internet

But my mind would have been blown if I'd managed to do so

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think DS2 managed to be cohesive enough once SotFS was said and done. The remaining ambiguous bits either don't matter that much (the Emerald Herald being a half-dragon, what the gently caress Aldia is, etc.) or fit fine with the game's core themes once they're taken non-literally (the Throne of Want is a representation of pure desire, rather than being some magical artifact).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vermain posted:

I think DS2 managed to be cohesive enough once SotFS was said and done. The remaining ambiguous bits either don't matter that much (the Emerald Herald being a half-dragon, what the gently caress Aldia is, etc.) or fit fine with the game's core themes once they're taken non-literally (the Throne of Want is a representation of pure desire).

I liked the sub-theme of everything sinking into the water.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vermain posted:

I think DS2 managed to be cohesive enough once SotFS was said and done. The remaining ambiguous bits either don't matter that much (the Emerald Herald being a half-dragon, what the gently caress Aldia is, etc.) or fit fine with the game's core themes once they're taken non-literally (the Throne of Want is a representation of pure desire, rather than being some magical artifact).

I feel like not specifying in any fashion what the throne actually does or why your character even bothers to sit on it was a terrible mistake but otherwise I agree.

Dark Souls 2 really embraced the "you don't know why you're doing any of this lol" deal quite literally and I found that to be pretty annoying but at least its world building was relatively coherent and self-contained.

edit: Also the game does not tell you why you are collecting the 4 lord souls because there is no actual incentive for doing so this time around in-universe that really sucked. In 1 you needed them to fill the lordvessel, in 3 you needed them to go rekindle the first flame. In 2 you need them to... get past a door that just randomly won't open without them. The actual plot direction is very weak even compared to the other Souls games which kinda sucks.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 29, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Perhaps Velka is called the Goddess of Sin because she does wear shoes. #wow #pagingvaati #worldbuilding

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Actually, "Goddess of Sin" is a translation error. As there is no "si" sound in Japanese, in the Japanese version Velka is known as the "Goddess of Shin".

Now this is the lore I come here for :allears:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

CJacobs posted:

I feel like not specifying in any fashion what the throne actually does or why your character even bothers to sit on it was a terrible mistake but otherwise I agree.

Dark Souls 2 really embraced the "you don't know why you're doing any of this lol" deal quite literally and I found that to be pretty annoying but at least its world building was relatively coherent and self-contained.

edit: Also the game does not tell you why you are collecting the 4 lord souls because there is no actual incentive for doing so this time around in-universe that really sucked. In 1 you needed them to fill the lordvessel, in 3 you needed them to go rekindle the first flame. In 2 you need them to... get past a door that just randomly won't open without them. The actual plot direction is very weak even compared to the other Souls games which kinda sucks.

Hey man, without opening that Shrine door, how else would you get over that 3 foot high mound of rubble? It's not even as if one of your allies makes devices to aid in vertical conveyance for a living, or something.

I know that the rubble thing is a well-worn complaint only slightly less overused than the windmill elevator. I just like to point out that a a man who makes 50 foot long ladders is right there in Majula, and he can't just make you a 3 rung stepstool, or even just 2 big wooden planks to be a bridge.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 29, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

What if it's just been one wrong translation this whole time and it's supposed to be the "Goddess of Gin"?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ah Nike, or some say Adidas. Do you hear our prayers? Grant us shoes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Hey man, without opening that Shrine door, how else would you get over that 3 foot high mound of rubble? It's not even as if one of your allies makes devices to aid in vertical conveyance for a living, or something.

I know that the rubble thing is a well-worn complaint only slightly less overused than the windmill elevator. I just like to point out that a a man who makes 50 foot long ladders is right there in Majula, and he can't just make you a 3 rung stepstool, or even just 2 big wooden planks to be a bridge.

He's a ladder-maker, not a stepstool-maker. Union.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Obligatum VII posted:

I mean you only need to look as far as Bloodborne to see how Dark Souls's storytelling could be better

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah I can't imagine figuring out the Kaathe path without the Internet

But my mind would have been blown if I'd managed to do so

It's something you have to happen across by chance but it's not that unlikely. If you're playing the game a second time and you're the sequence breaking sort of person it's pretty much bound to happen.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I agree that BBs plot is overall better, but the setting does kind of have an easier time because most of the unanswered questions comes from Great One's intentions being unfathomable by humans.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Augus posted:

I mean you only need to look as far as Bloodborne to see how Dark Souls's storytelling could be better

You can just look backwards at Demon's Souls, really. It's very self-contained and pretty much every lore thing ends up being relevant. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why Dark Souls lore is the way it is, with all the missing plot threads, to go for something different the second time around.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

I made a comment earlier about Bloodborne having an equally incomprehensible story but after looking into it further (Bloodborne lore is great) it looks like a lot of the stuff I was thinking of has since been connected. It's pretty fascinating how much of it makes sense now! :monocle:

Of course, there's still a lot of stuff where the answer is just "Great Ones, beyond human comprehension, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, we need more eyes"

Genocyber posted:

You can just look backwards at Demon's Souls, really. It's very self-contained and pretty much every lore thing ends up being relevant.
Demon's Souls has the most confusion story/lore out of all the games to me, what am I missing? :(

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 29, 2017

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

CJacobs posted:

You need them to become a monarch who will choose whether or not to link the fire, a la Gwyn, or Vendrick, or the other million rulers whose lovely kingdoms' ruins you wander through in the game. Emerald Herald won't shut up about it

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's also the small matter of you murdering the poo poo out of everything in your path anyway. The Herald just points you in a vaguely constructive direction. :v:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The Dark Soul was found on the earth when Lavos crash landed into it. The Dark Soul would have been the third floaty thing you would have seen in the final battle in Chrono Trigger.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

There's also the small matter of you murdering the poo poo out of everything in your path anyway. The Herald just points you in a vaguely constructive direction. :v:

"Are you... the next monarch?"

"....."

"....."

and so begins the journey to eat many delicious souls become the next monarch.

Node posted:

The Dark Soul was found on the earth when Lavos crash landed into it. The Dark Soul would have been the third floaty thing you would have seen in the final battle in Chrono Trigger.
You say this, but Lavos is like literally in Demon's Souls

Maybe this is how the games are connected :monocle:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah of all time of them DS2 is the most straightforward. Green lady says it over and over, "seek seek lest seek"

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

CJacobs posted:

In 1 you needed them to fill the lordvessel, in 3 you needed them to go rekindle the first flame. In 2 you need them to... get past a door that just randomly won't open without them. The actual plot direction is very weak even compared to the other Souls games which kinda sucks.

How did you manage to write this without seeing that 1 and 2 are the same thing.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You absorb the Lord Souls into yourself because the Emerald Herald hints that you might be able to cure yourself of Hollowing with them. In reality, and as the Herald well knows, that's obviously not how it works. The real reason she wants you to collect souls is that she needs your soul to be strong enough to serve as fuel for the Firelink. This is also why she encourages you to level up, and why the game ends with a shot of the player character being trapped inside a literal oven: The Herald is manipulating you and fattening you up so you'll be a better sacrificial lamb. (You're right that the Lord Souls aren't inherently special in ds2, they're just the best fuel the Herald has on hand. The player can still serve as a sacrifice if he empowers his soul by other means.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So midir has tons of health and is resistant to magic :shepface:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
didnt matter to my sorcerer who just crystal soul spared it in the face and finished it off with moonlight greatsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is there anything that reduces FP cost of spells since i can use that 5/6 times before needing to use ashen estus