Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Nice house, much land with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Box store mower I bought in 2009 finally kicked it - deck rotted out where the engine bolts on.

New mower!

EGO 21" lithium-ion powered mower from Home Depot. Just got done mowing, I can do about 80% of my almost 1 acre lot on a full charge of the 5 AH battery that came with it, with time to full charge just a hair under an hour. I'm thinking I might pick up a leaf blower or line trimmer with the 2.5 AH battery to supplement this one vs. another ($200) 5 AH battery as I originally planned. I was initially skeptical of the side discharge chute - it merely redirects the same chute that discharges into the bag and sticks out the back - but after using it today not having to deal with the side discharge attachment sticking out to the side is really convenient.

The deck is 100% polymer and without a heavy gasoline engine its noticeably lighter than your average push mower. Quiet too - without anything to cut it just sounds like a box fan running at its highest setting.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Geoj posted:

Box store mower I bought in 2009 finally kicked it - deck rotted out where the engine bolts on.

New mower!

EGO 21" lithium-ion powered mower from Home Depot. Just got done mowing, I can do about 80% of my almost 1 acre lot on a full charge of the 5 AH battery that came with it, with time to full charge just a hair under an hour. I'm thinking I might pick up a leaf blower or line trimmer with the 2.5 AH battery to supplement this one vs. another ($200) 5 AH battery as I originally planned. I was initially skeptical of the side discharge chute - it merely redirects the same chute that discharges into the bag and sticks out the back - but after using it today not having to deal with the side discharge attachment sticking out to the side is really convenient.

The deck is 100% polymer and without a heavy gasoline engine its noticeably lighter than your average push mower. Quiet too - without anything to cut it just sounds like a box fan running at its highest setting.

I know I'm getting old because my primary motivation for getting out of my apartment and into a house is to buy a cool lawnmower.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

but how will I know it's 6am on a saturday morning without the sound of grandpa down the street starting up his 35 year old honda mower

GOTTA GET IT DONE BEFORE IT GETS TOO HOT!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Argyle posted:

I wore my sunglasses to a baseball game, got drunk, then left without them. Therefore:

Randolph Engineering Concordes in gold/grey, polarized.

Made in the USA, lifetime warranty, and better than my old Ray-Bans in every perceivable and non-perceivable way. Very happy with them.

drat bro, they're $179.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

obi_ant posted:

drat bro, they're $179.

And absolutely worth it. Hell, even a steal at that price. I've had a pair for about 5 years now and they make most RBs feel flimsy.

Good choice!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Was bored and wanted a project, plus future Dr. Mrs. Ransom and I figured we'd start biking to work a few days a week since we live really close to the university where we both work. So I bought a pair of super cheap beat up old bikes.

They both looked like this.

After a bit of work, its mate now looks like this.

Still need to buy a crankset and install the single speed conversion and add rear brakes I guess, but hell of an improvement, right?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

ReidRansom posted:

Was bored and wanted a project, plus future Dr. Mrs. Ransom and I figured we'd start biking to work a few days a week since we live really close to the university where we both work. So I bought a pair of super cheap beat up old bikes.

They both looked like this.

After a bit of work, its mate now looks like this.

Still need to buy a crankset and install the single speed conversion and add rear brakes I guess, but hell of an improvement, right?

*joseph gordon-levitt voice* I like to ride, fixed gear, steel frame, no brakes. I don't even have pedals.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

obi_ant posted:

drat bro, they're $179.

Well... $250 for polarized. Not that ridiculous when you consider that polarized Ray-Bans retail for $200.

That said, they were $209 on Amazon, plus I had ~$75 in Amazon gift cards that I was saving for a treat. So it was more like $135 out of pocket.

Either way, I'm happy to pay a little extra for American-made goods that I expect to last me a long time. Plus, I live in a very sunny climate (brag), so I'll be using them pretty much daily. I am not a rich man or a designer brand whore, I just wanted some high-quality sunnies with a good warranty.

Trabant posted:

And absolutely worth it. Hell, even a steal at that price. I've had a pair for about 5 years now and they make most RBs feel flimsy.

Good choice!

Couldn't agree more. I'm mad at myself for ever buying Ray-Bans in the past, but I'd never heard of Randolph until like a year ago. I'm starting to realize that a lot of the best companies to buy from don't advertise.

(Also Don Draper wears RE's in Mad Men, so now I'm as cool as him.)

Argyle has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Apr 27, 2017

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Geoj posted:

New mower!

Good buy. I've had mine for about a year or so. I have the string trimmer, leaf blower and hedge trimmer too and they are all excellent.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Argyle posted:

Well... $250 for polarized. Not that ridiculous when you consider that polarized Ray-Bans retail for $200.

That said, they were $209 on Amazon, plus I had ~$75 in Amazon gift cards that I was saving for a treat. So it was more like $135 out of pocket.

Either way, I'm happy to pay a little extra for American-made goods that I expect to last me a long time. Plus, I live in a very sunny climate (brag), so I'll be using them pretty much daily. I am not a rich man or a designer brand whore, I just wanted some high-quality sunnies with a good warranty.

Couldn't agree more. I'm mad at myself for ever buying Ray-Bans in the past, but I'd never heard of Randolph until like a year ago. I'm starting to realize that a lot of the best companies to buy from don't advertise.

(Also Don Draper wears RE's in Mad Men, so now I'm as cool as him.)

Enjoy the crippling alcoholism and inability to maintain a healthy personal or professional relationship!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

spookygonk posted:

Nice house, much land with it?

I don't even remember. A lot bigger than I had before. In fact I had a plug-in mower before and unless I want 200' of cable to run over I better look into that fancy battery mower Geoj posted.

But basically the back yard is like 10 feet wide, and that photo is probably taken 15 feet in from the street, so not huge. But that retaining wall will be perfect for me to build a snowboard jump off if it ever snows again. If not I guess my mountain bike will do.

gypsycabdriver
Apr 19, 2007
acoustic attenuation group

flying coffin

biggerthanjesus.bigcartel

activerideshop

disney store

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

you will wear these all at once, yes?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

gypsycabdriver posted:

acoustic attenuation group

flying coffin

biggerthanjesus.bigcartel

activerideshop

disney store

I like you

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
A Blue Yeti USB microphone, in silver. To be used for Skype/Google Hangouts/podcasting.

Some weird rear end Power Ranger looking motorcycle shoes. (TCX Rush WP)

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I've got that same microphone. It's a good microphone.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ReidRansom posted:

I've got that same microphone. It's a good microphone.

Agreed. I would pick up the shock mount and a floor stand for it though as it is incredibly sensitive.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I love how easily everyone can get pretty decent mics these days. :toot:

Good choice, friend.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aramek posted:

I love how easily everyone can get pretty decent mics these days. :toot:

Good choice, friend.
I mean, it's like a $120 mic so not quite so easy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I need that Salem Saberhagen t shirt.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Easy enough for people who want decent mics. Else they'll just use whatever usb headset they have. The USB condenser market has gotten so much better over the last ten years.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Josh Lyman posted:

Goes on sale for a lot cheaper relatively often. Sub $100 for near pro audio is definitely affordable.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Agreed. I would pick up the shock mount and a floor stand for it though as it is incredibly sensitive.
Ah, gotcha. I may indeed end up doing that. Thanks, I'll look into that stuff.

Aramek posted:

Good choice, friend.
Thanks! Looking forward to testing it out when I get home tonight.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Speaking of which, I have a really heavy and sturdy little desk mic stand, but I finally gotta buy an actual scissor arm mic stand with my current recording setup. In my last apartment, I could hang the mic from an above shelving bracket in my recording booth, but my current space doesn't have that as an option. I do have a lot of pipes along the wall and ceiling, so I think that'll work for this. Anyone have any good recommendations? Looking on Amazon, and these are way cheaper than they were ten years ago.

Like, I remember then the cheapest of them were 120+.

He're four of them under 20.

Etubby, B-Qtech, InnoGear, and NEEWER. Some of these even come with an extra pop filter which is neat in case mine ever dies.

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm assuming the little clip it comes with contains the detachable threaded bolt for the shock mount?

betterinsodapop posted:

Thanks! Looking forward to testing it out when I get home tonight.

It's not gonna matter for, like, chatting/gaming and stuff, but if you wanna get at all interested in recording/podcast kinda stuff, the most important thing to do is to treat your mic space. Good mics will pick up everything.

Mick Lauer did an awesome little video on the difference treating can make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r90Xy9eIU8E

Aramek has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Apr 27, 2017

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Snagged a pair of CDG/Converse at Goodwill for $9. Some Lysol and tlc and they'll be ready for Depop!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
New (to me) car to pull the new (also to me) camper I just bought.

2014 Ford Explorer Limited AWD. Trying to figure out what was wrong with this thing, despite the inspection and everything it's looking perfect. 40K miles and only cost $25K. Loving this so far.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

New job is paying me to do videos now, but don't break the bank so:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Cool chainsaw attachment.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

TraderStav posted:

New (to me) car to pull the new (also to me) camper I just bought.

2014 Ford Explorer Limited AWD. Trying to figure out what was wrong with this thing, despite the inspection and everything it's looking perfect. 40K miles and only cost $25K. Loving this so far.

looked at your pics and it clearly is haunted

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

looked at your pics and it clearly is haunted

:magical:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's taken a couple of months (mixed in with other house stuff) but the built-in, which I emphatically didn't build, is done.

I thought the coloured LEDs were going to be chintzy and left at "warm white" forever, but I love that every time I look at it it's a different set of colours. It's like a huge piece of art!

While I was posting, it changed to

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

New MacBook Air for garage band, and iMovie projects, and web surfing on the go. But way more excited about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and racing people from around the world in the palm of my hands.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is iMovie usable on an Air? We've come a long way.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I got a new shirt

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People use iMovie? it's a piece of poo poo.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

We Know Catheters posted:

I got a new shirt

I don't even really follow GWAR, I mean I saw them once and they were great (Sounds of the Underground 2005!), but I kind of really want that shirt. Does that make me a stupid poser?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

They have the best bread.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

Glottis posted:

I don't even really follow GWAR, I mean I saw them once and they were great (Sounds of the Underground 2005!), but I kind of really want that shirt. Does that make me a stupid poser?

Pretty much anyone still talking about GWAR in 2017 is but it doesn't matter because in music liking, the biggest posers are the ones who actually care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

We Know Catheters posted:

I got a new shirt

HAIL ODERUS! I'm in Richmond, I was actually at GWARbar earlier tonight. Their nachos are killer. Friend of mine recorded an album at Oderus's home studio. I've never been into their music but the dudes are/were all great people.