Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kawabata posted:

I wonder at which point during development they realized that simply giving the player an interesting world to explore without hand-holding or dumb map icons already made BOTW the best sandbox ever created. It's kind of funny.

I would love a tell-all about the development process, apparently they were so unhappy with where it originally was going that they did a complete retool, to the point where they didn't even show it at E3 2015 (after debuting a trailer in 2014 when they were planning, according to Reggie, on releasing it in 2015).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

SeANMcBAY posted:

You guys are tempting me to get that protector. Does it effect the image quality at all? I've never seen a screen protector, for phones at least, that didn't make the screen look worse.

Cojawfee posted:

I really like the glass screen protector because it makes the screen look nice and shiny and it is smooth to the touch. When I got my switch back from Nintendo, the plastic screen felt like garbage and looked weird.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Here is my input: The Switch screen is very soft and doesn't feel nice to touch. The AmFilm protector does what the Pro Controller does- it makes the experience of using the Switch more enjoyable.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Mario Kart hi def rumble is blowing my mind for real. poo poo is immersive. Curious how it feels on the actual joy cons and not on the pro

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

You guys are tempting me to get that protector. Does it effect the image quality at all? I've never seen a screen protector, for phones at least, that didn't make the screen look worse.

nah it's super high quality. i can still see them pixels crystal clear. i usually don't like screen protectors and never use them on my phones but this is a good one, especially considering how easy the switch is to scratch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Also, the glass protector really does it's job. I dropped my switch on something and it shattered the protector. No damage to the Switch at all.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I'm happy puyo puyo tetris is #3 at least on the eshop, although unlike Zelda it seems a lot more people are getting mk8 digitally for whatever reason.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I'm happy puyo puyo tetris is #3 at least on the eshop, although unlike Zelda it seems a lot more people are getting mk8 digitally for whatever reason.

probably at least partially because the file size is significantly smaller

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Also, the glass protector really does it's job. I dropped my switch on something and it shattered the protector. No damage to the Switch at all.

And don't forget you probably had a second one laying around too!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
So MK8 is the first game that made me realize the HD rumble makes some really odd, if not kinda soothing, sounds. I even took the joycons out of the dog controller or whatever it is and just held them to my ears to listen. Makes me think of how loving cool the tech is behind the rumble.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Kamiko is a really neat little game. Pick it up if you've got five bucks and an hour of spare time.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Cardboard Box posted:

probably at least partially because the file size is significantly smaller

It's significantly smaller and the kind of game that's fun to take with you on the go and pull out for spontaneous play. I always want a game like MK8 on my Switch, but a game like BotW I'm fine with having on a cartridge that may not always be available.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This game is the shiiiiiit.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

deadwing posted:

Kamiko is a really neat little game. Pick it up if you've got five bucks and an hour of spare time.

I have neither, sir!!

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I agree about the rumble in MK8 DX.

The sound the rumble makes when grabbing coins is weird though. In an unsettling way.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Its different. Zelda found the key to making exploring work for explorings sake. It was almost apathetic to the player. Seeing a widget on the map does not make me WANT to go get it. It makes me Tell I SHOULD go get it. Its hard to explain but that "what's over the next rise" feeling isnt in anything else. Sure as he'll not Horizon. Which I loved other then the open world bullshit.

The more I think about it the more genius Breath is. Explore, or not, until you feel ready to take on the boss. Have fun.

Yeah. I think an important bit that most copycats will get wrong is making the exploration full of bite sized goals that aren't too much of an investment to turn you away, but are engaging enough to keep you interested. There's a good flow to the whole game that keeps you from stopping and saying "wait why am I bothering doing this?" and just going for the boss.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

EDIT: NM. Found the thread.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 29, 2017

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah. I think an important bit that most copycats will get wrong is making the exploration full of bite sized goals that aren't too much of an investment to turn you away, but are engaging enough to keep you interested. There's a good flow to the whole game that keeps you from stopping and saying "wait why am I bothering doing this?" and just going for the boss.

I did eventually hit that point though in breath of the wild where I beelined two beasts and ganon, then went back for the 50 or so shrines after. I might upgrade the shrine set for the dlc but I haven't gotten to it yet.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
One of the issues I have with Skyrim is that I never know going into a task if it's going to be a bite-sized thing I can knock out in 15 minutes, or if it's an EPIC QUEST that will take me like 4 hours.

For instance, I found a lighthouse once when wandering around. There was a locked door in it that led down into a bug lair. I also found the owner's journal and saw that he wanted to see his light again. So I loot the house, explore the dungeon, kill the bug queen, find the guy's bones, take them up to the lighthouse, and offer his bones to the light. His ghost comes out and I get a nice blessing. A fun quest I got just from paying attention to details that a lot of people probably missed. It think it took me two hours total between finding the place and completing the whole thing.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Crawfish posted:

I agree about the rumble in MK8 DX.

The sound the rumble makes when grabbing coins is weird though. In an unsettling way.

That's the true sound of unfettered capitalism you coin grabbing bourgeoisie bastard

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I ended up buying a physical copy as an excuse to buy a Pro Controller too. The nice gentleman at the Gamestop offered me insurance for just three dollars but I politely declined, Nintendo products never break!

I have no memory of Wild Woods. I know I played every course, but don't remember it at all. It's a really fun course though, I should have played it more!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

emdash posted:

what does it get you in this version of the game?

separately, what do I need to do to get slick/cyber slick?

1. Getting at least 1 star on every cup in 150cc and Mirror gets you the gold kart, same as in MK8 iirc

2. Getting lots of coins eventually unlocks everything, but each time you unlock something it's random soooo keep trying?

Also MK8 is the first game I'm not really enjoying playing with a single joycon, probably going to pick up either a 2nd pro controller or a 2nd set of joycons so I can at least do 3 player games where everyone's comfortable. The L and R buttons on them are really squishy and unresponsive, which makes drifting annoying, and the wrist straps don't really help with that.

Xad fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 29, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Louisgod posted:

So MK8 is the first game that made me realize the HD rumble makes some really odd, if not kinda soothing, sounds. I even took the joycons out of the dog controller or whatever it is and just held them to my ears to listen. Makes me think of how loving cool the tech is behind the rumble.

HD Rumble is powered by Linear Resonant Actuators, which are fundamentally closer to a speaker than to a motor. There's some cool stuff the Steam Controller can do w/r/t playing music using its more primitive implementation of HD Rumble (which is mainly used for haptic feedback on the touchpads and triggers).

https://vimeo.com/132533086

EDIT: Each Joycon has multiple actuators.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 29, 2017

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Meridian posted:

Great, my Switch doesn't recognize SD cards.

I thought this but it was because I wasn't pushing the card in far enough. I am a genius

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Do you want protection coverage for your game?
No.
Do you want to renew your pro membership and save money on used games?
No.
Splatoon is coming out soon. Would you like ro preorder it?
No.
Would you like to donate a dollar to autism awareness?
No.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Why do you hurt me like this, Puyo Puyo Tetris

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

BattleMaster posted:

dude just drop the j on the left and clear your way out

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
walked into target after work, picked up a copy. people freaking out of amazon orders are p. lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

There's several moves you can make there.

What's the issue?

Gitgud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQOswiAGLU4

Grandmaster Good

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Hey, so have they started selling Switches yet? I really wanna get one!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How is Puyo Tetrisis online multiplayer?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Infinitum posted:

What's the issue?

The issue wasn't my side of the board it was the fact that all the junk I dropped for that entire game just set up tetrises for my opponent.

edit: I mean I'm not pretending to be a good player but I never heard my opponent shout "TETRIS" as many times and most of it was from junk blocks

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 29, 2017

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Two things I caught from that video is that... grand masters leave one column open for the I block. And that's pretty much their only way they clear.
Also gms are... much better than I am about avoiding gaps in their lines. Watching him place his blocks was like watching art being made. gently caress.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Being able to play a current gen MARIO kart while traveling with zero compromises is miraculous

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Where the mk8 / puyo spreadsheet at?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TerraGoetia posted:

Two things I caught from that video is that... grand masters leave one column open for the I block. And that's pretty much their only way they clear.
Also gms are... much better than I am about avoiding gaps in their lines. Watching him place his blocks was like watching art being made. gently caress.

A "tetris" actually refers to when you clear 4 lines at once, which is pretty much only doable by dropping an I block into an otherwise filled grid. So yeah, they prioritize building that and clearing it.

You get way more points that way comboing the lines than if you cleared 4 lines one by one or two at a time.

My favorite variant of tetris, square tetris or block tetris depending, gives you bonus points for forming a perfect 4x4 grid of Tetrominoes and then clearing that; which adds a whole other layer of play to the game. I'm real sad it never seems to have taken off.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

Where the mk8 / puyo spreadsheet at?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1viYzgn6OpKLjPAnOornQ9pHjaozpVudHU4lrzUiYgOk/edit?usp=sharing

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Infinitum posted:

What's the issue?

Gitgud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQOswiAGLU4

Grandmaster Good

You will never be as good at anything as this guy is at Tetris, gently caress.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
In a twist my Switch has updated shipping to arriving today instead of tuesday :dance:

I get Mario Kart 8 this weekend and I thought I'd have to wait a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

hurry up and release the switch arcade stick, hori, i need my apeshit speed tetris

• Locked thread