Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

alcaras posted:

Is there a mod to notify when the Shroud becomes available again?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Foolish AI picked a fight with me what turned out to be like a week before I built my first cruiser when they were still on corvettes

Now they are my vassal

e: Seriously though nerf PSC holy poo poo

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Shugojin posted:

e: Seriously though nerf PSC holy poo poo

Didn't Wiz say yesterday that PSC was getting a nerf?

IIRC it's still going to work the same way (good, it's a creative bonus I'd hate to lose) but it'll only be 1/10 of your monthly research instead of 1/3. I suppose you'll just need to build three times as many science ships to have the same effect (but then you run out of planets faster so you probably won't be able to have Double Research Speed Forever).

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Snare stations are great and I will not hear a word against them, how is massively slowing down your enemy ever a bad thing

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think the total war thing is simpler thab what folks are saying. Simple truth is - if you have enough power to win a small war, you have enough power to win a long war, so why wouldnt you?

Making defenses be permeable but do lots of damage would mean wars are costly to win esp against core systems but you might be able to snatch a couple fringe systems without too mich trouble. It means costs escalate the more ambitious you are.

Hell you could probably even throw up a lot of powerful free defenses around planets that autobuild and staff based on population...

Dont make it take up fleet cost though that would be terrible since it would encourage stalemates. if your going to have a defense limit separate it out

But the fact that right now defenses are perfectly impermeable right up until the moment they are not is a huge problem in balancing them.

Hell thats even the case for fortifications for some insane reason.

Why is that anyway

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 29, 2017

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Nice, thank you!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Why do Federation auto ship designs keep being generated, even when I'm Federation president and after I've deleted them?

How do I stop them from being generated? They're just cluttering up my Orbital Construction menu :(

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

alcaras posted:

Why do Federation auto ship designs keep being generated, even when I'm Federation president and after I've deleted them?

How do I stop them from being generated? They're just cluttering up my Orbital Construction menu :(

They still haven't fixed the thing where the AI takes over the federation fleet during your term as presidency, and at this point I kind of hope they dont?

Like someone mentioned having AI controlling all your fleets and that might be too far, but having the federation fleet auto deal with business while you use your personal fleets to make strategic choices isn't a bad thing at all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
AI didn't take care of the fleet, it just enforced the last order it had before presidency flipped.

Not sure if that's fixed, I haven't been in a fed with an AI since 1.5 :v:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I have stupid questions. They mostly boil down to 'why am i never ahead in technology when my empire is trying to be all about technology; how am i playing wrong' and 'what are the best ship builds for combat these days'

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Spanish Matlock posted:

They still haven't fixed the thing where the AI takes over the federation fleet during your term as presidency, and at this point I kind of hope they dont?

Like someone mentioned having AI controlling all your fleets and that might be too far, but having the federation fleet auto deal with business while you use your personal fleets to make strategic choices isn't a bad thing at all.

The fleet came back to my control during my term.

But ship designs kept randomly showing up :-S

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Well I've learned my lesson. Never ever allow 2 fallen empires to be in your game unless you take one out as fast as possible. Leave them alone and they will both wake up and go to war with you in the middle. Ugh.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ded posted:

Well I've learned my lesson. Never ever allow 2 fallen empires to be in your game unless you take one out as fast as possible. Leave them alone and they will both wake up and go to war with you in the middle. Ugh.

Yeah, if I don't time my development to allow me to basically throttle fallen empires in the cradle as soon as they awaken then it's pretty much good game for that run because gently caress dealing with war in heaven or an AE that will just keep multiplying in strength as time goes on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kavros posted:

I have stupid questions. They mostly boil down to 'why am i never ahead in technology when my empire is trying to be all about technology; how am i playing wrong' and 'what are the best ship builds for combat these days'

This is something that always drove me nuts early on. My go-to 4x strategy regardless of game is to be a tech-turtle but I never really felt ahead in stellaris, and even when I technically was I could never feel it or notice it. Now though with abusing the poo poo out of planetary survey corps you too can finally feel what it means to be way the hell ahead in tech.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Static defenses can limit the opponent's options, allowing you to force a battle, and provide some level of security for the incredibly soft targets all over your empire. Otherwise they can just zip all around your empire and your pursuing fleets will never catch them until they stop to blow something up - like an expensive Frontier Outpost. But really, that's just a reaction to the current state of Stellaris movement where it's really difficult to intercept a fleet in motion unless you can predict exactly where they're going to go and have a fleet laying in wait for them. I feel like warp and hyperlane would be a lot better if fleets had to jump out from the side of the system that's closest to their destination, rather than just using their arrival point as their exit point.

But you can already force a battle by taking the fight to your enemy's planets. Or they can try to force you to battle by besieging your planets. If you don't have the fleet to take them on, forcing a battle isn't in your interest to begin with. In order for static defenses to change that dynamic, they would need to be significantly cheaper and/or faster to build compared to spacecraft. Otherwise they are nothing more than delays, and the last thing Stellaris wars need is to be slower. The loss of a frontier outpost may be aggravating, but it's generally not a war-winner. I do not see how replacing raiding with turtling is much of an improvement. If you truly want a way to force battle, I think the NSC mod does it better by letting you build Subspace Snares on the more advanced ships. That gets you the ability to make engagements more decisive without resorting to static defenses.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

So I was really curious about evasion corvettes vs battleships, and me and a friend were at the end of a multiplayer game where he was Spiritualist and I was a Materialis, so we decided to test it out. I couldn't convert to Militarist as faction suppression just wasn't doing poo poo to my pacifist/militarist split, so we fought in my borders for the extra 15% fire rate (I would've had 16% from militarist + fire rate civic).

It turns out Arc Emitters do not get dodged, period. His corvettes had 90%+ dodge rate, and dodged 97% of my kinetic artillery fire. They dodged 0% of the arc emitters. I had the advantage of the enimatic fortress shields, so that does sway it some but the results really were not close.

I also learned that strike craft feel exceedingly useless, and I'm better off just strapping some flak onto the pure battleship designs in the last slot and foregoing the carrier designs entirely. It just takes far too long for strike craft to do anything of value with their flight times, especially since they tend to fly out to the sides of my fleet before engaging.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 29, 2017

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
If they do go hyperlane only, I hope they add a few different options for how hyperlanes get drawn. They mentioned making the hyperlane network more connected with some lanes only openable by tech, so I'd be interested to see options for galactic "continents" and "archipelagos" where the galaxy is broken up into discrete chunks inaccessible to one another until Hyperlane II. I'd also like an option for a less connected network similar to how hyperlanes are now, one thing I really like about Stellaris' hyperlane network as opposed to other games with hyperlanes is how it doesn't just make every nearby system adjacent to every other, and forces you to go the long way round sometimes. Lastly, I'd like a hyperlane network option which is basically "ancient wormholes", ala mass effect, where there's a leaf and branch network of most systems connecting just to one hub system, and that system then connects to multiple other more distant systems. Maybe on a spiral galaxy the trunk runs up the centres of the arms, while on an elliptical the trunk could be a snowflake sort of design, or concentric rings with link points, or random.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dallan Invictus posted:

Didn't Wiz say yesterday that PSC was getting a nerf?

IIRC it's still going to work the same way (good, it's a creative bonus I'd hate to lose) but it'll only be 1/10 of your monthly research instead of 1/3. I suppose you'll just need to build three times as many science ships to have the same effect (but then you run out of planets faster so you probably won't be able to have Double Research Speed Forever).
In that case my problem will be thematic, since it's another tradition that is less useful the more you've already been acting in concert with that tradition.

You know what would be neat? If the traditions with primarily forward-useful stuff gave unity and influence for all the stuff you've already done. Buy into Exploration after already colonising a bunch? Get a year's unity per active colony. Buy into the Domination tree? Get unity based on the size and number of subjects you already have or have previously integrated. Buy into Science or Prosperity after already having built a bunch of stations? +X unity per station. Pick up PSC or To Boldly Go after exploring half the galaxy? Get +X unity per previously explored system (Or a one time science dump after "reviewing the data").

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Splicer posted:

You know what would be neat? If the traditions with primarily forward-useful stuff gave unity and influence for all the stuff you've already done.

I disagree. It would further erode the difference between an empire that picks Exploration as its first Tradition and one that picks it as its fifth.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 29, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NihilCredo posted:

I disagree. It would further erode the difference between an empire that picks Exploration as its first Tradition and one that picks it as its fifth.
How so? (Also I'm in the "Limit the number of Traditions you can have" camp for differentiation, but that's beside the point)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Splicer posted:

How so? (Also I'm in the "Limit the number of Traditions you can have" camp for differentiation, but that's beside the point)

Because no matter when you pick it, you're getting the same results. If I'm a sciency race I want to take discovery first but that decision doesn't matter any more if I'll get everything from it anyway no matter when I pick it.

Also would you make taking prosperity refund all my minerals?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Exvept you would get the same result at all?

Hes suggesting a refund when adopting traditions that actually mirror your empires actual actions, not retroactively applying all the benefits

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

Because no matter when you pick it, you're getting the same results. If I'm a sciency race I want to take discovery first but that decision doesn't matter any more if I'll get everything from it anyway no matter when I pick it.

Also would you make taking prosperity refund all my minerals?
I said unity and influence! "Or just get the science" was an afterthought (that you didn't even quote :v:)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Splicer posted:

With the current system, you want to early-pick Exploration if and only if you're going to be expanding fast and soon. If you pick Exploration and then fail to expand, that was a mistake - you miss out on the benefits of another Tradition for little or no gain. If you pick another Tradition and then find yourself with a ton of opportunities to expand, that was a mistake - you miss out on a ton of Unity.

Having a refund on mispicked Traditions would proportionally reduce the impact of such choices. Hell, the optimal playstyle might even become to keep a bunch of tradition slots open and only spend them when the appropriate need arises - giving up some resources (depending on the size of the refund) in exchange for massive flexibility, instead of having to make strategic long-term decisions.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oh hey it's​really easy to edit the tech file so that hive minds can uplift.

Good, I think it's silly that I can modify already sentient critters to join me but not presentients.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Splicer posted:

I said unity and influence! "Or just get the science" was an afterthought (that you didn't even quote :v:)

I just quoted your most recent post!

Atlanton
Mar 23, 2013
I really want this game to be good and I've already spent hundreds of hours on it so I guess it is, but I'm worried that the Clausewitz engine may be limiting the potential for meaningful strategy/combat.

The biggest thing I feel that the game's combat model lacks is any form of combat beyond "everyone rush each other and fight to the death until the Emergency FTL timer is over". There's no meaningful maneuvering so both combat speed and range are marginally useful; missiles, for example, would be far more effective if missile boats could somehow keep max range and kite slower enemies around.

I'm sure there are other things that could be added to the current model to make it more interesting, like a morale system so every battle isn't decisive or a supply system so there's more nuance to strategy than "throw as much fleet power as you can at the problem". However, I think the current combat model of every fight becoming a giant fur-ball is not doing the game any favors.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
It doesn't seem like paradox sees a problem with doomstack vs doomstack war, it's a easy solution,
maybe only solution depending on the game engine. It's the same in all their games except HOI series.

Defeating the enemy fleet asap is the only strategic goal in war,
after that, the war is won, and it's just a cleanup phase afterwards.

Making combat as interesting as in HOI, would be awsome, but require the devs motivation to do so.
I don't know what they are planning next, but i think its polishing the UI atm

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

I just quoted your most recent post!
Phonebrowsing, didn't realise you and nihilcredo were two different people :downs: But yeah as I was saying, Unity and Influence.

If you're going for a sciencey start you're actively discouraged from immediately building a bunch of science stations, since you'll get a better return on investment by hanging on until your unity ticks over for that first pick. Build a couple of mining stations with your initial capital instead, build the cheap science stations later. Flip it for the Prosperity unlock: Build the Science now and the mining stations after. The initial unlocks for Domination, Discovery, Expansion, and Prosperity actually discourage you from doing their thing before you if you are close to getting them. Harmony and Supremacy's unlocks don't have this issue. Diplomacy is kind of a mix.

If the four unlocks above (and the couple of other perks like them) also rewarded you for having already done these things, but differently from how you are rewarded going forward, that weird quirk is mitigated. It also still results in different tactical decisions, because a cheap mining station vs an expensive mining station + some influence and unity later are still very different things.

NihilCredo posted:

With the current system, you want to early-pick Exploration if and only if you're going to be expanding fast and soon. If you pick Exploration and then fail to expand, that was a mistake - you miss out on the benefits of another Tradition for little or no gain. If you pick another Tradition and then find yourself with a ton of opportunities to expand, that was a mistake - you miss out on a ton of Unity.

Having a refund on mispicked Traditions would proportionally reduce the impact of such choices.
Do you mean Expansion or Discovery? If Discovery, there's very little in the Discovery tree that rewards expansion, just the initial unlock. If you mean Expansion then I get what you're saying, Expansion's general setup and heavy focus on influence and unity does make it the worst case scenario for this as a general solution, but when applied to the other trees it's much more reasonable.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 29, 2017

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Spawn a network of Mass Effect-style 'mass relays' throughout the galaxy that are instant links between one another, no matter distance, your jump type, etc. Split them between the FEs, and have them control access based on how much they like you. Give FEs a little more content - the things like demanding scientists are cool, but have more of these and tie their opinion of you directly to your ability to move instantly in their sphere of control.

e: also make each use of a relay slightly reduce opinion of you, so it becomes something to use sparingly rather than a replacement for your normal methods.

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 29, 2017

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There should be a mod that puts random spergy quotes from the creator of Alphamod on the loading screens.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
For a game that really shines when you tried to play a focused themed game, it makes it really difficult to actually loving do.

What is the secret to being able to research the targeted gene expressions tech? I've grabbed engineered evolution, and research every genetic option that has come up, but I still haven't gotten lucky and drawn the tech I need to get the next ascension perk.

E: Gating the techs you want behind the random system is fine, but why is it also loving random to get a leader to weight the random techs to get the one you want. Having to blow hundreds of influence to hopefully get a scientist with the trait you want to slightly increase the change of getting the techs you want is a loving terrible game mechanic.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
What's the best general way to build battleships? Should I focus on spinal mounts, or just lots of smaller weapons? Are fighters still good?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Demon_Corsair posted:

E: Gating the techs you want behind the random system is fine, but why is it also loving random to get a leader to weight the random techs to get the one you want. Having to blow hundreds of influence to hopefully get a scientist with the trait you want to slightly increase the change of getting the techs you want is a loving terrible game mechanic.

"We have a population of billions, we really don't have anyone who knows genetics?"

Nevermind how silly those are for hive-minded pops. "I'm an unfathomably large hypersentient super-organism, but I sent all my bodies to physics school this year." Hive-minded should just get a special science-leader trait that's basically some-level of genius (maybe modified by a civic pick?) with a high chance to get the genetics pulls. I like hive minds a lot even though they're inferior to a normal empire in nearly every way.

I kinda wish hive minds got a universal 'mood' they had to manage. Just settled a colony? You are happy and gain a portion of the normal happiness production bonuses on all your planets. Got a war-declaration from a stronger enemy nation? You are frightened, your ship build speed and maybe energy production is increased. Declared war after receiving an insult? You are angry, your ships fire faster for the duration. Find a high-level anomaly? You are curious and get a science boost. Make a nice trade deal? You get a little greedy and boost your mineral and energy production. Do basically nothing for a decade? You become depressed and all of your production suffers until you snap yourself out of your malaise by settling something or making a new "friends."

I would play the hell out of an over-emotional hive mind.

Kavros posted:

What's the best general way to build battleships? Should I focus on spinal mounts, or just lots of smaller weapons? Are fighters still good?

Spinal mount arc projectors and flak is my go-to, never missing and ignoring all defenses is totally worth the wildly random damage. Bombers are trash but fighters might be ok as aggressive point defense? They'll all still die instantly the moment they get into enemy PD range.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 29, 2017

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

PoptartsNinja posted:

I kinda wish hive minds got a universal 'mood' they had to manage. Just settled a colony? You are happy and gain a portion of the normal happiness production bonuses on all your planets. Got a war-declaration from a stronger enemy nation? You are frightened, your ship build speed and maybe energy production is increased. Declared war after receiving an insult? You are angry, your ships fire faster for the duration. Find a high-level anomaly? You are curious and get a science boost. Make a nice trade deal? You get a little greedy and boost your mineral and energy production. Do basically nothing for a decade? You become depressed and all of your production suffers until you snap yourself out of your malaise by settling something or making a new "friends."

this is a really effin good idea and a great way to characterize a gameplay option which is otherwise kind of anemic in terms of flavor

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Kinda feel like the way hive minds work is a commentary on the usual mechanics of 4x games where internal politics are abstracted to numerical penalties and avoidable bad events at best.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
...isn't that exactly how internal politics in stellaris work anyway? I don't get it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Obliterati posted:

Spawn a network of Mass Effect-style 'mass relays' throughout the galaxy that are instant links between one another, no matter distance, your jump type, etc. Split them between the FEs, and have them control access based on how much they like you. Give FEs a little more content - the things like demanding scientists are cool, but have more of these and tie their opinion of you directly to your ability to move instantly in their sphere of control.

e: also make each use of a relay slightly reduce opinion of you, so it becomes something to use sparingly rather than a replacement for your normal methods.
I'm more and more liking the concept of removing per=species drives but keeping multiple fleshed out drive mechanics as a per-game "how does physics work" choice.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!
I got hit by the founder species switch bug when I let another species have psionic enlightenment, and I've been trying to work around with a save game to reset it, and for whatever reason (I'm dumb) I can't figure out how to change the .zip file back to a .sav file that isn't broken. Does anyone have any advice? Because other than that I'm really enjoying Utopia right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

PoptartsNinja posted:

I too, would play the hell out of this. Reminds me of what Total Warhams does with Bretonia and its leaders. Sit in a trade port for too long? Get known throughout fantasy France/England as a COWARD MONEYCOUNTING FOP WITH NO HONOUR.

Smite a bunch of Orcs? Now you're a cool guy/gal who commands respect!

• Locked thread