Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Off-screen Androids created Yorha / humans-on-the-moon in response to androids losing all purpose after humanity died out.

They created the Yorha androids with modified machine cores, because they considered it inhumane to use android cores on androids created just to die. I suppose this means they still considered machines to be completely mindless.

Presumably, they left open a backdoor that they knew the machine network would find at the right time. Probably the machine cores made it possible for a virus to travel unchecked considering I didn't see any true androids get this virus.

The entire purpose of the machines up to end-game was to follow their original programming of fighting the enemy, and part of this meant ensuring there was still a worthwhile enemy to fight. I think the entire game revolved around the idea of finding purpose to exist, with both sides slowly finding a purpose beyond what they were originally created for. The Yorha androids were slowly desiring other things to live for outside of fighting machines (21O's family / 60 dating / 2B9S talking about what they want to do after the war), machines were slowly figuring out other reasons to exist (Pascal's village / Forest Kingdom / The Ark).

That was my understanding anyway.

Basically, yeah. Not quite dead on, but basically right.

Jackass dumps a whole summary on you if you don't delete your save.

As for the basically? You got a few details off. True androids CAN get the virus, as shown in the play. You see one in the game, even!

You know the Commander? Yeah. Standard android. Old friend of Jackass's. And since she plugged into the same database, well, that was a mistake. We can leave it at that.

Basically, the war was a stalemate between the machine intelligence and the hidden android illuminati, with both sides trying to pace their adaptations to never really "win". The point was the game. That said, the machines were planning to blow up the moonbase, which the androids didn't want, and the androids let some designs the machine network was proud of get killed, so it's not like they were always on the same page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Also worth mentioning about the machines but Pascal, the forest kingdom, and other different machine "projects" did not occur out of natural evolution but were seeded by N2 essentially doing evolutionary research on their own kind.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HGH posted:

Also worth mentioning about the machines but Pascal, the forest kingdom, and other different machine "projects" did not occur out of natural evolution but were seeded by N2 essentially doing evolutionary research on their own kind.

I think the distinction between "natural evolution" and otherwise is rather blurry.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

so does counter not interrupt your combos like what happens with dodges? what is the timing, do you only tilt your stick towards the mob during the dodge window, or can you hold down the stick?

im guessing you can't counter really big attacks from large type enemies

Counter works like dodges, you can follow it up with your weapon counterattack, though not the pod counterattack. As far as I'm aware, you can counter everything including the Goliath biped's grab. Holding the stick won't work​ and the timing is fairly tight.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Having tried it after getting home, sticking to dodges feels safer. Counters don't seem to deal very much damage, and even an imperfect dodge puts you out of the way of the enemy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Counters deal damage proportionate to what you would have taken, so they depend entirely on the enemy being stronger to work. High level chips have ridiculous returns and of course they're much stronger (and riskier) on Hard. A Counter+6 is how I beat a certain rooftop-based challenge fight in Route A. Even if you don't like them, you may as well leave one in just in case it happens by accident and blocks an attack you would have taken.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Dabir posted:

a certain rooftop-based challenge fight in Route A.

Just curious, which challenge is this? Feel like I missed something. Do you mean the second Goliath encounter?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Was it ever explained why those machines in Pascal's village went crazy?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Look Sir Droids posted:

Just curious, which challenge is this? Feel like I missed something. Do you mean the second Goliath encounter?

More Karate, less big, I think. Doing him in route A is a bit of a hassle.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Huh, I didn't even find that quest on my Route A run. There was a little robot at the top of a building I couldn't figure out how to get up to. I guess that was him?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I juts got to the point where I think I am done with A2's section in Route C. Just erased Pascals brain and picked 9S am I going to still have the chance to do some side quests?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Huh, I didn't even find that quest on my Route A run. There was a little robot at the top of a building I couldn't figure out how to get up to. I guess that was him?

from the adjacent roof you can get there through a double jump and glide.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That one yeah, you have to climb the nearby water tower thing on a roof then you can get over easily.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Augus posted:

Was it ever explained why those machines in Pascal's village went crazy?

I dont think its ever explained but its fairly easy to guess considering how much it escalated. It was time to end the pacifism experiment and the machine hivemind had the final test be what they do against violence you cant talk yourself out of. Basically since the pascifist machines were never actually not out of the network the hivemind just had some of them go insane at the start.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

If I juts got to the point where I think I am done with A2's section in Route C. Just erased Pascals brain and picked 9S am I going to still have the chance to do some side quests?

Yeah you can do a few side quests that are still available, though once you beat route C, you'll be able to do all the ones you missed.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Anyone know what the patch from Steam today was for?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

sunken fleet posted:

Anyone know what the patch from Steam today was for?

Absolutely nothing beyond preparing the game for DLC. No issues were fixed :thumbsup:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is there any significance that the pods seem to be three "instances" in one, like the select screen in Routes C/D showing "042A/B/C" and 042 saying something like "when we six were connected" to 153

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is there any significance that the pods seem to be three "instances" in one, like the select screen in Routes C/D showing "042A/B/C" and 042 saying something like "when we six were connected" to 153
Gatling, Laser, and Missile.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does 9s story take place after A2s even if you pick him first?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Does 9s story take place after A2s even if you pick him first?

They're supposed to be happening concurrently, I believe.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just started 9s and pascals memory is erased and his village is empty

Edit: wow this hacking tower is loving obnoxious!!!!!!!!!

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 29, 2017

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

What do 2B, 9S, and A2 listen to while fishing

Pod casts

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Capntastic posted:

Pod casts

Boooooooooooooooo.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Capntastic posted:

Pod casts

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I just started 9s and pascals memory is erased and his village is empty

Edit: wow this hacking tower is loving obnoxious!!!!!!!!!

Oh, yeah actually I just checked myself starting with 9s first and yeah The village is destroyed, but nobody else is around yet. Although this is after I completed the first part of 9S's story so it might still be intact during that part

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 29, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow route C got depressing and I just got to the point where everything explodes and now I'm A2. :smith:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wow route C got depressing and I just got to the point where everything explodes and now I'm A2. :smith:

Look on the bright side. It's not like it can get much worse!

It gets much worse.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Capntastic posted:

Pod casts

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Speaking of route C going through it again on a 2nd playthrough and I just now learned that, unlike literally any other boss in the game, dying to the boss of soul box is just and instant game over. That's definitely a cool and not lame as hell thing

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Saagonsa posted:

Speaking of route C going through it again on a 2nd playthrough and I just now learned that, unlike literally any other boss in the game, dying to the boss of soul box is just and instant game over. That's definitely a cool and not lame as hell thing

I'm pretty sure that's everything from after the intro of C onwards, though? There are no backups anymore. Death is permanent.

Disclaimer: I only died on the superboss because of my stupid grinding bullshit

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm pretty sure that's everything from after the intro of C onwards, though? There are no backups anymore. Death is permanent.

Is it? I'm almost sure that I died on route C before, but I've never seen that game over screen before

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

END ME SCOOB posted:

27 hours in and I'm still confused about the death mechanic in this game. Isn't permanent death pretty much better across the board because you just reload instead of having to find your body? Why are you leaving messages when you die? Are they just for yourself? What does reviving do I never tried it because I wanted my poo poo back

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

27 hours in and I'm still confused about the death mechanic in this game. Isn't permanent death pretty much better across the board because you just reload instead of having to find your body? Why are you leaving messages when you die? Are they just for yourself? What does reviving do I never tried it because I wanted my poo poo back

Regular game overs would probably better, except for points in the game where you're not allowed to save until you complete an entire area that at least in my case also just so happens to be full of garbage forced hacking (I even like hacking in general, just that the hacking levels in soul box are terrible)

Also the messages are for other people who come across your body. Do you have the game offline? If so you should turn it online and keep it that way.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

veni veni veni posted:

You only lose your chips, not any items, money, or experience you gained. Depending on how long it's been since you saved, it might be worth it to just go find your body.

The messages are for other players when they come across your body. If you're not seeing other players' bodies then you must be playing offline, which is a bad idea for reasons I will not say. Reviving the body of another player gives you a third companion for a little while. They're not very good at fighting and won't fast travel with you so I always found the buffs/money more useful.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't even know there was an online component... I didn't turn anything off. Is it something I need to turn on. I definetly haven't found any bodies except my own afaik. Weird.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
How does the critical strike mechanic work? Do chips simply give you 1-30% critical strike chance, or is it multiplicative on the base crit chance of a weapon?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't even know there was an online component... I didn't turn anything off. Is it something I need to turn on. I definetly haven't found any bodies except my own afaik. Weird.

I feel like it asked you if you wanted to turn online features on when you first started (or I might be mixing it up with P5) but it should be in options anyway.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

END ME SCOOB posted:

This is correct. Because the Bunker has been destroyed, there are no backups to load into and send back down to the planet to recover your body. So now when you die, you die. That's it from now on.

Also, if you've made it to Route C and haven't learned to save frequently, especially when you're about to go do something stupid or important, then :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

RanKizama posted:

Also, if you've made it to Route C and haven't learned to save frequently, especially when you're about to go do something stupid or important, then :lol:

This is true as a blanket statement, but it doesn't really make the Soul Box less of a pain in the rear end, which is Saagonsa's (fair imo) gripe here. As far as I know there's no way to save partway through that section.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 29, 2017