Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Buy a Dram tanker and fill it up before heading out into the depths of space, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Also, if you can get multiple missions in the same direction, you can save on fuel/supplies.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
It can be a little hit-or-miss, but keeping an eye on the mission boards for good delivery contracts can get you a lot of money very quickly, as long you're quick and willing to do a spot of smuggling. Sometimes you get lucky and find a contract that can be completed using resources that are actually sold in the same system. Corvus is a good spot for this, because Jangala regularly requests volatiles, and there's a pirate-operated volatiles mine in the same system, less than a week's flight away. Buying the goods will eat into your margins, but that's where the smuggling comes in; dodging the tariffs can really add up, especially on larger runs. Running illegal goods to Hegemony worlds is usually a losing proposition because they're so heavily-patrolled, but delivery contracts to pirate bases tend to have really good margins, and taking illegal-goods deliveries to Independent worlds is basically free money..

Once you start exploring, it can be a good idea to hold on to most of the salvage you find, stick it in storage, and keep an eye out for delivery contracts that match things you already have stored. You can easily come out with 3x or 4x more money than you'd get just selling the stuff.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Yeah there's a big difference between 'you are 10% better at shooting this gun' and 'you may never open this locked chest (which is what salvage is in this game) and get the loot inside unless you pick me'.

The salvage skills are honestly more like "you get 10% more stuff from chests" rather than "you can't open these chests." You still get all the same content, just like less supplies and stuff. Depending on your luck it might make some hullmods a bit harder to find but that's about it. Survey is about the same, basically being a thing that just lets you convert supplies into cash while you're farting around.

Edit: Though I do actually kind of agree with lifting the level cap. I also think it might not be a terrible thing if you could get an officer to specialize in some of the fleet utility stuff like having a companion in Mount&Blade be a dedicated healing or scouting mule.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 29, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Stevefin posted:

So I am out of the tutorial and have not had much success at all. I either went broke or got caught by a bigger fleet, I have been doing a few tries without the tutorial, but I feel like I am doing nothing with my two ships, if if I add more ships, that I start loosing lots and money

It's actually harder to get started with the tutorial than it is if you skip it, because skipping it leaves you with 40k credits. I guess it's possible to come out of the tutorial better off than that but not very likely.

Anticheese posted:

Buy a Dram tanker and fill it up before heading out into the depths of space, too.

Seriously this is all you need to do whether you did the tutorial or not, just buy a dram and get a couple of exploration missions for 150-200k. No combat required and even if you do get blown up you should be able to afford to buy another Dram and try again (or just reload).

Everyone should field Piranhas because they are so wonderful :allears:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I just fought an Astral, 5 Tempests and some trash for a bounty... 0 salvageable Tempests :(

I've already got an Astral, what madman needs 2! (It's me, I imagine a fleet of 2 Astrals is ridiculous with the current state of fighters)

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
D-mods on your noncombat ships are amazing with the right Industry skills, and seem to come with basically no downside, except in oh-poo poo situations where you were likely going to lose the ships anyway. I've got a bunch of rustbucket cargo haulers with a maintenance footprint of effectively zero, which really helps to save resources on long expeditions.

For that matter, most D-mods don't seem like that much of a downside even on your combat ships. I wouldn't field a full fleet of salvaged wrecks, but it's nice to have a few cheap-to-deploy damage dealers, to take down lone or defenseless targets.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've looked at the D-hull mitigating skills, I've done the math, I've seen other people's results, but I'm way too OCD and prideful to ever field anything other than pristine top of the line ships.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A rust fleet is a perfectly valid strategy, and I don’t have any philosophical objections to it, but the D‐downside halver is just a waste of points.

If you’re going to put points in that tree, put them in surveying. Surveying generates such ridiculous stacks of money. You’ll have everything you want and no need to conserve supplies.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 29, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Here's a cheapass thing to do: deploy your support capitals with whatever the mod is that guarantees recoverability and deploy them, get them blown up, and then recover them.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Here's a cheapass thing to do: deploy your support capitals with whatever the mod is that guarantees recoverability and deploy them, get them blown up, and then recover them.

I have a Phaeton which has never seen combat, that's actually a pretty good idea for your tankers at least, if they're ever in battle they're 100% hosed anyway.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I've looked at the D-hull mitigating skills, I've done the math, I've seen other people's results, but I'm way too OCD and prideful to ever field anything other than pristine top of the line ships.

I usually just check to see if it's a D-mod that'll actually cause me problems. A bit less health/armor/Flux doesn't bother me, but I 100% had to fix the engines on my huge salvaged cargo ships because there was no way I wanted to tank my flight speed to 6.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
It would be nice if there was a way to selectively remove specific D-mods without overhauling the entire hull, so I could swap out new engines while still leaving all the lovely wiring and cracked armor plates on there. I love my -100% maintenance cost Buffalos, but it would be nice if I could give them a little more get-up-and-go while still keeping most of the discount.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Doing the senor missions have fixed my problem, I actually went with the freighter and drone starter. can carry enough fuel and supplies to supply its self easily

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Stevefin posted:

Doing the senor missions have fixed my problem, I actually went with the freighter and drone starter. can carry enough fuel and supplies to supply its self easily

Do you get tacos in the supply boxes?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Carriers are a lot of fun. I can't believe it took me a year to try them out~

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Salvaging a bunch of these 14th battlegroup ships... makes me really wish we could paint/decorate our ships.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Salvaging a bunch of these 14th battlegroup ships... makes me really wish we could paint/decorate our ships.

I agree it would be really cool if you could customize the paint job of you fleet in game, or if ship mods added a visual feature so that you could distinguish them on the battle map. But adding those features would probably detract from current visual cues regarding ship quality and load out. At least modding in custom ships etc is pretty easy and if you want to change the coloring of a certain ship type you just need to load up the sprite in Photoshop and go to town.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Man light needlers are impossible to come by without a commission

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Rorac posted:

It might just be my style of combat, but I tend to prefer a slower fight with ships that mostly focus on beam weapons; lots of tactical lasers and graviton beams when I can get it, with one or two wolves with 'alpha' type weapons, like antimatter blasters. Keep a ship pressured with high flux from constant beams and then swoop in with one of those; either they take it on the chin and get hosed and still have high flux, or they overload and then get turbofucked as everything piles on it.

I also run every ship I can with hardened subsystems, because I tend to take a bit longer to finish fights. IMO it's a pretty safe way of fighting though, because tachyon beams/tactical lasers/high intensity lasers synergize well with the AI's kiteiness.

Thats a perfectly fine way to play, I used to prefer to play like that as well.

I prefer to start knocking enemy ships out as quickly as possible so I don't end over whelmed later on when CR is low and all my missiles are gone. Its probably more important against certain mod factions but facing Tri-Tachyon fleets down will demonstrate that kiting doesn't work well on everyone.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Tartiflette over on the official forums is a modding monster

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Diable Avionics was already a strong (and really fun) faction. They're going to be absolutely berserk now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Carcer posted:

Diable Avionics was already a strong (and really fun) faction. They're going to be absolutely berserk now.

Wanzers are going to 1-2 per ITU so hopefully they won't get too stupid.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm jealous of all you cool people taking on empires and ancient battle stations, but I figure it's for the best to keep a more honest goal for myself as I find myself floundering. Middle management in space. Any advice towards a logistics and replacement friendly "off the shelf" small fleet, when your low ambitions are-

A: Able to chase down or ignore any criminal/always hostile elements, with just one or two eventual fighter capable ships tops (Mostly because zero fighters feels similar like having zero PD coverage).
B: Surveying the depths of the galaxy like Kirk's violent drunken cousin.

I thought I saw mentioned a while back that joining up with the Independents doesn't fall victim to the "Everyone is hostile to everyone else forever" taking a commission does for everything else. Is that true?

For a more idiot newbie question, any way past simple learning experience to remember which ships are "combat" and which are "Utility"? I'm kind of hoping I'm just overlooking some button that sorts that out, so I have less moments like "Nebula sounds badass! Let's save up for that-oh it's a civilian transport." while I learn the names and looks.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Randomly found a derelict Legion with 1 d-mod while exploring the rear end end of the sector map, time to start a personal war with somebody!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Section Z posted:

I'm jealous of all you cool people taking on empires and ancient battle stations, but I figure it's for the best to keep a more honest goal for myself as I find myself floundering. Middle management in space. Any advice towards a logistics and replacement friendly "off the shelf" small fleet, when your low ambitions are-

A: Able to chase down or ignore any criminal/always hostile elements, with just one or two eventual fighter capable ships tops (Mostly because zero fighters feels similar like having zero PD coverage).

I thought I saw mentioned a while back that joining up with the Independents doesn't fall victim to the "Everyone is hostile to everyone else forever" taking a commission does for everything else. Is that true?

For a more idiot newbie question, any way past simple learning experience to remember which ships are "combat" and which are "Utility"? I'm kind of hoping I'm just overlooking some button that sorts that out, so I have less moments like "Nebula sounds badass! Let's save up for that-oh it's a civilian transport." while I learn the names and looks.

Independents are the only faction that lets you use their military markets without a commission, so you can get cool poo poo from them without having to buy everything on the black market or piss off everyone with the intractable wars the other factions keep getting themselves into. Or you can use them in addition to another faction. This will most likely be the Sindrians because their main military market is in the same system as one of the independents and Askonia tends to have obscene amounts of fuel and supplies stockpiled.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

mirarant posted:

Randomly found a derelict Legion with 1 d-mod while exploring the rear end end of the sector map, time to start a personal war with somebody!

I've been playing this game for years and was so confused. "What on earth is a Legion" I said. Then I looked it up and desperatly needed one

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Legion was one of the first ships I found floating in space as well and it was a key piece of my fleet for most of my gametime until my fateful encounter with the remnant station.

Bought 2 more after that though. They're absolutely fantastic.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Independents are the only faction that lets you use their military markets without a commission, so you can get cool poo poo from them without having to buy everything on the black market or piss off everyone with the intractable wars the other factions keep getting themselves into. Or you can use them in addition to another faction. This will most likely be the Sindrians because their main military market is in the same system as one of the independents and Askonia tends to have obscene amounts of fuel and supplies stockpiled.

Luddic Path and Pirates also sell from their military markets without a commission though you're less likely to gain relations with them through regular play like Independents.
Path is probably the fastest because you can trade your cores for relations to them though they give an absolute poo poo return on them. Only 10%.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ok, only faction worth dealing with since pirates and path only stock junk.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Give the Path at least one core. They'll stop attacking.

After that you can take on missions for them too.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Any suggestions for an Afflictor loadout?
AI will be driving.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Anticheese posted:

...Can you give AI Cores to the Pirates too?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Don't think you can. That would be such a huge time saver. I aim to become a pirate every single start and everytime I do a mission for them some dumbass with a couple frigates tries to mug my deathfleet for the supplies I'm carrying, crippling my relationship once again.
There should be a way to tell them to buzz off because they're hardly intimidating.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So uh, are Hegonomy fleets supposed to yell at me for "Having your transpoders off" when I've had them on the whole time? It's not like I turned them on recently, I've been following after this fleet with transpoders on for quite some time hoping for some newbie scraps when suddenly it decides to U turn and scream at me over them being off.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Section Z posted:

I'm not sure about modded faction ships, but all of the vanilla ships can appear in Independent markets including Astral and Paragon.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

I haven't found that the neutrino detector indicates derelicts at all, even when you're very near them, it only indicates planets/moons as far as I can tell.

This isn't particular well covered yet; I'll get to putting something on the wiki at some point hopefully soon

A number of different contact types will be generated and provided to the player

One type are false positives, signals that are generated very far away. They can be distinguished from other signals as their relative direction always remains the same and also that they appear on every reading in that system, at the same strength. Ignore these

There are modulating and non-modulating signals, the modulating signals are the ones we are interested in. They will visually oscillate between larger and smaller signal peaks. If they are distant then the peaks can be relatively small so this oscillation can be hard to spot sometimes. Turning your sound up can help as the modulating signals have an accompanying metallic audio cue which makes smaller oscillations easier to spot

Take a few readings at different spots in the system. Turn the neutrino detector on for a second, note readings and then turn it off, no need to waste volatile consumables. Consider using different jump points in the same system to use hyperspace to cover large in-system distances quickly. When you think you have a modulating, metallic signal that has a changing relative direction or does not appear on every reading then these are your fun things

Head towards roughly the area where you think it is and turn the neutrino detector on. Home in with the neutrino detector on

Step 1 Take initial reading. Note which quadrant you are currently in and note directions of the modulating, metallic cues
Step 2 Move to a different spot in the system, often via hyperspace
Step 3 Take additional readings. Note which quadrant you are current in, note directions of modulating, metallic cues
Step 4 Compare results of readings. Look for metallic audio cues that have either changed relative direction or don't appear on every scans. Those are your desired artificial, man-made objects
Step 5 Leave the neutrino detector on and home in one the interesting signals
Step 5 Profit. Or REDACTED. Possibly both

Flesh Forge posted:

Everyone should field Piranhas because they are so wonderful :allears:
Sup Piranha buddy :hfive:

Mister Bates posted:

D-mods on your noncombat ships are amazing with the right Industry skills, and seem to come with basically no downside, except in oh-poo poo situations where you were likely going to lose the ships anyway. I've got a bunch of rustbucket cargo haulers with a maintenance footprint of effectively zero, which really helps to save resources on long expeditions.

For that matter, most D-mods don't seem like that much of a downside even on your combat ships. I wouldn't field a full fleet of salvaged wrecks, but it's nice to have a few cheap-to-deploy damage dealers, to take down lone or defenseless targets.

Often you'll want to save on supplies by fielding just a few hyper efficient ships and having D-mods on your 'non combat' stuff. Sometimes you will face a massive fight and you will want to deploy everything, including otherwise non combat ships. This is because you can put Nav buoys & ECM/ECCM hullmods on your support ships and having a critical mass of those makes a huge difference to a big fight. Many D-mods seriously screw with your sensor profile, which makes those massive fights much more likely and those D-mods can significantly change battlefield results

Section Z posted:

Check out the wiki or the in-game codex. Most ships should have a designation that heavily hints at it's usage, such as Combat Freighter. If you want a logistically friendly fleet then you're going to want to learn to love the Combat Freighter. They are not a replacement for primary combatants however they are a logistically attractive middle of the ground option between having passable combat ships to supplement primary combatants as needed and logistic utility. In particular consider the Gemini & Venture.

The Gemini is a mix between a freighter and the much liked Drover. The Venture is, quite a dark horse. Not particularly exciting in any area whatsoever it is nonetheless brutally reasonable for it's cost

Anticheese posted:

Will any type of AI core do? That's a cool little tidbit

"[b posted:

Legion[/b] :black101:"]
After the legendary success of the Onslaught design it became clear that rebellious systems without ultraheavy industrial capacity were able to develop carrier-based strike-craft capable of countering the 'Old Man' of the Domain Armada. Alongside new weapons - nimble anti-fighter missiles and rapid-tracking point defense cannon - the Strategic Council decided that the Armada needed a carrier of its own worthy to serve alongside the Onslaught. Thus the Legion was designed to provide a mobile platform for basing interceptors and strike-craft while able to stand on the line of battle.

Classified as a battlecarrier, the Legion mounts an impressive array of heavy weapons as well as hangar-space and command-control capacity sufficient to field four fighter wings. Later models were upgraded with specialized nanoforges keyed to replacement and repair of fightercraft, significantly increasing tooth-to-tail ratio on distant deployments.

Proponents of the 'Cruiser School' criticized the Legion for being insufficiently specialized in its role, maintaining that similar fighter volume can be fielded at far less cost and with greater flexibility if combat roles are separated into distinct ship hulls. The economic arguments do pale in the face of an incoming Legion engaging its burn drive to deliver crushing firepower at the key point of battle.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Removing my tri-tachyon commission was easier than I thought.

Attacked them once, and I was free to get a new commission from any of the other factions (with a few under-the-table AI core bribes)

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

So uh, are Hegonomy fleets supposed to yell at me for "Having your transpoders off" when I've had them on the whole time? It's not like I turned them on recently, I've been following after this fleet with transpoders on for quite some time hoping for some newbie scraps when suddenly it decides to U turn and scream at me over them being off.

I think it remembers previous incidents that was noticed by patrols from the faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: neutrino detector

TheWetFish posted:

This isn't particular well covered yet; I'll get to putting something on the wiki at some point hopefully soon

Is it supposed to show any sort of reaction to derelict ships, because it doesn't seem to for me :shrug: