Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Smart Car posted:

Attacking from the flank and the rear does have lower accuracy requirements for physical attacks too, but I don't think that's something that really comes up while leveling.

Not for ranged attacks. No ranged class ever needs to care about which direction it hits from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mymla posted:

Not for ranged attacks. No ranged class ever needs to care about which direction it hits from.

Ravana parries affected BRD/MCH.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Mymla posted:

I can assure you ranged classes need to care about what direction they're attacking from. Mage classes don't

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Most of the postmoogle quests are funny or nice takes on old characters you haven't seen in a while, but The Past Is a Story We Never Tell is really sad...

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i just started playing this game on PS4 yesterday and am having lots of fun! It helps that i have a few friends that play on PC and i'm able to play with them cross platform.

I'm playing an Archer and i'm curious if i'm getting the supposed bonuses from attacking from the flanks/behind? Damage numbers don't seem to be any higher and accuracy appears to be unaffected but it's kinda hard to tell.

Also, what's a healer class that's easily done with a controller? Since i'm in Gridania i can but a conjuror. I kinda wanted to be the card guy but it seems i have to get to Heavensward stuff before i can do that :sigh:

The positional stuff isn't really gonna matter while you're leveling, but while you're in groups or dungeons you should be in the habit of not standing in front of enemies unless you're a tank. This is because physical DPS classes do (slightly) more dps from the sides and back, but also because when you get into higher level content, mobs in dungeons are going to do things like frontal cleaves and fire breaths that you will want to stay away from.

There's no class you can't play with a controller, but the two healers you have to choose from pre-Heavensward are conjuror, which evolves into white mage at 30, and scholar, which is a healer job that evolves from a DPS job, the arcanist, also at 30. CNJ/WHM is kind of a bog-standard squishy toolbox healer with lots of heals and buffs of varying strengths and purposes. The scholar is set apart by having a pet that helps you out with healing and buffing the party, meaning generally the scholar gets to (is expected to) contribute more to DPS than other healers.

If you want to play astrologian (which I know nothing about, but looks really cool), here's how to get to Heavensward as quick as possible: try and pick a class and stick to it. Do all your main scenario quests, hunting logs, and while you're running around doing stuff make sure to stop for FATEs - they're almost always worth it. You shouldn't have to do very many side quests, but feel free to supplement with those. Do your class quests every five levels, and once you unlock it make sure you do the Leveling Roulette (random dungeon) every day. If you decide to play a healer, the roulette is probably worth doing more than once a day since you'll have quick queues.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lighting 4? Burst?
https://i.imgur.com/jiHKeIo.gifv

Whatever it is i can't wait to get it.

Also, here's a gallery of gifs of new job stuff from the benchmark.

e:
A different gallery with the same stuff but in much better quality

a kitten fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 29, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The new DRG ability looks like Geirskogul but better, maybe. Activate blood of the dragon, sacrifice it to make the dragon attack somebody?

But man, NIN really is going even more Naruto than before with summoning a murder frog.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Don't do leveling roulette more than once a day. Queue for the highest level dungeon you have unlocked instead. Without the bonus experience from your daily roulette the lower level dungeons aren't worth it.

Mrs.Nameko
Dec 16, 2015

Mushrooms are the internet of the forest!
Awwwww Yeah 4/19!!! :420: Smoke weed some of the time!:snoop:

Mrs.Nameko fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 29, 2017

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Reasonably High.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
acceptably high

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Ninja going even more Naruto and tossing in a frog summoning makes me so happy. I can't wait. I wish the PS4 had need of a benchmark thing so I could see my dude in SAM gear. I don't know how I'm gonna play both NIN and SAM all the time, but I'm gonna figure it out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just High Enough That You Feel Good But Your Mom Doesn't Know

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The ninja frog thing looks dope. I was thinking about switching off ninja and starting fresh with another job since I barely remember how to play after two years off, but now I want that. Red mage looks cool too, but I'm not really feeling samurai so far. It kind of seems like it should have been a tank to me.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i think sam being a tank would be cool but having a second two-handed sword wielder when there's so much design space they haven't explored yet would be a bit early. i hope its cool and I would have probably switched to it depending on the war changes but I'm fine with it being a dps.

also all the rdm stuff looks like it's gonna animation lock people a lot so get used to people hitting the deck.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

RDM is the new DRG, in every sense of the word, is my prediction.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to at least try it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The RDM spells look kind of boring.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
To be fair, being just kind of bad at everything would be in keeping with the general feel of a Red Mage...

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Xenoveritas posted:

To be fair, being just kind of bad at everything would be in keeping with the general feel of a Red Mage...

:allears: Ah, fond memories of 8-bit theatre.

I honestly can't wait to play RDM looks like they get a flare lite.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I'm glad we're getting a couple of sword-using jobs that aren't tanks, because I'm a tiny little child baby infant and I like swords, but I don't want to tank in this game.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

A. Beaverhausen posted:

:allears: Ah, fond memories of 8-bit theatre.

This is half the reason I want the outfit.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Sword-chucks when?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm trying to remember if there are any 8BT references.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

Ninja going even more Naruto and tossing in a frog summoning makes me so happy.

The ninja-frog association goes back to a bit of Japanese folklore from at least the 1800s, which Naruto liberally borrowed characters from :goonsay:

Potato samurai is everything I wanted to be, right down to some of the katanas being too large and clipping awkwardly through one hand during the end of the LB3 animation.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Hey cool, I went trying to make my char from scratch in the benchmark char creator and wound up making something almost identical, but I think I like this version more for its differences. I really don't want to blow a fantasia on such minor changes though. :negative:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Maybe they'll give a free fantasia with the expansion.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Meldonox posted:

Hey cool, I went trying to make my char from scratch in the benchmark char creator and wound up making something almost identical, but I think I like this version more for its differences. I really don't want to blow a fantasia on such minor changes though. :negative:

I once blew a fantasia because I didn't like my catgirl's tail with a new outfit they'd released. Another time I spent a fantasia because I felt I needed a new eye color for summer. There is a person on this site who changed races at least once a month for like a year.

Just do it you big baby.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I once fantasia'd because I forgot to set max height on highlander.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

jyrque posted:

Were they a lowlander then?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

jyrque posted:

Same but minimum height on a lala.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
I used my free Fantasia to change my hairstyle before the aesthetician got added.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Does anyone sell just the codes for the minions for the soundtracks and artbooks? I need them!
So sad I missed out on so many seasonal events the past two years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've never used a fantasia and have only gotten haircuts 3 times.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

A... are you okay?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's nice you are able to live with your choices.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I can't help it I got it right on the first try. The 3rd haircut was to go back to my original hair.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven't even gotten a haircut for my dude. Every time I look over the new hair options it's just like "... nah, somethings off."

So I have like, 2 free fantasias and 3 jaundeline tokens sitting in my retainer.

The biggest change to my steadfast appearance has been incorporating Shaded Spectacles into the majority of my glamours.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I went from Hyur male to catboy to catgirl to catboy to dragongirl to dragongirl with a different face, and I'm considering going back to catgirl.

I do think it's funny how the aesthetician can change the eye ring color on au ra.

e: The one thing I've kept ever since the first catboy was orange and blue eyes, though I don't know if I've been consistent about the exact shade or which eye is which. Also all of my retainers look like me.

vOv fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 29, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

vOv posted:

I went from Hyur male to catboy to catgirl to catboy to dragongirl to dragongirl with a different face, and I'm considering going back to catgirl.

I do think it's funny how the aesthetician can change the eye ring color on au ra.

They are just colored contacts. Au Ra are turbo nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Brainamp posted:

They are just colored contacts. Au Ra are turbo nerds.

It also means they're the only race that can change their eye color at the barber. Kpop supremacy.

• Locked thread