Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

No, but chronological order doesn't make sense for the way they intend Facebook to be used. I used to hate their algorithm too, but it works fine now. If you interact with a person a lot (commenting on their stuff, liking their posts...) Facebook makes sure you see whenever they post something new. If you really need to know NO MATTER WHAT whenever they post just star them and you'll always see their posts first. People you interact with a lot get pushed to the top and people you barely talk to only show up occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Wrist Watch posted:

No, but chronological order doesn't make sense for the way they intend Facebook to be used. I used to hate their algorithm too, but it works fine now.

This has not been my experience with the algorithm whatsoever, I'm happy it works for you but if I leave it to non-chronological it pushes poo poo like "someone you don't know replied to a comment on a post from 4 days ago by a friend you've not interacted with in months!" as the first post in the normal news feed. It's bordering on insane.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I loving hate the algorithm order. Especially when people are going to events, or trips. I will always get the posts in the wrong order and it drives me nuts. I always use Most Recent.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

This one! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ciaostudio.pixeliconpack

It updates pretty regularly and is totally worth the price.

This one is great as well: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.themezilla.pixelui

Has a huge amount of icons, including plenty of more obscure apps.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Scudworth posted:

This has not been my experience with the algorithm whatsoever, I'm happy it works for you but if I leave it to non-chronological it pushes poo poo like "someone you don't know replied to a comment on a post from 4 days ago by a friend you've not interacted with in months!" as the first post in the normal news feed. It's bordering on insane.

That sucks. I don't know what to say, it Just Works for me. :(

The only time what you're describing happened to me was years ago when they stopped letting you view your timeline in chronological order without having to jump through hoops. If I checked more than a few times a day without people posting enough in between, it'd show me older stuff instead. That stopped happening after a while though, it'll happily show me the same stuff instead of falling back on old posts. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen Facebook show me anything more than 12-24 hours old without me having to scroll way through my timeline unless it was like, really important or still generating a lot of activity.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

peepsalot posted:

Is there an android app to automatically submit FCC complaint for do not call registry violations? I am getting more and more spam calls lately and its driving me insane. Is the FCC capable of even enforcing this poo poo in any way?

No, but I would like to chime in and say that spam calls have been increasing a lot here lately.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I think they've been increasing nation-wide. I've talked to numerous people that say they've gotten an above-average number of spam calls over the last few months.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Facebook's algorithm likes to show me things I don't care about solely because they are posted by people who post a dozen times a day. I would be able to tamp it down by telling Facebook to show less from those people, but then I would comment on one post and the floodgates would open again.

What I currently hate is seeing a bunch of posts, clicking on something, hitting back, and seeing a completely different set of posts. Especially if there was a second thing that caught my eye on the first page and now I need to jump through hoops to get to it again.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
For those using action launcher, what does the setting day theme calenders​ icons do? I am playing around with it, and it seems nothing. I thought it would make my calenders app icon behave like the google one and change with the date, but it does not.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think they've been increasing nation-wide. I've talked to numerous people that say they've gotten an above-average number of spam calls over the last few months.

I can confirm this. I've been getting a bunch of calls from unknown numbers, but the curious thing is that when I answer the other end is completely silent and ends the call after 5 or 10 seconds. It's worth noting that Google's (new?) built in spam detection has flagged every single one successfully. I've only been answering because I get lots of calls from unknown numbers and I'm paranoid about it flagging a call that's not actually spam.

A couple years back I'd get the usual sales cold call spam that everyone knows, but I don't anymore. Now it's just eerie silence. If anyone knows what's up with that I'd love to hear more about it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

They have been going nuts for a few months, but same as everyone else, the flagging has been pretty good for me. Voice mail transcripts are all the same scams about student loans, Cardholder Services, a few mention Trump.

It does feel like too much of a writerly detail -- like the author of America 2016/7 is slipping them into the background for readers to pick up on as a motif of the unscrupulous preying on desperation and gullibility. You're laying it on too thick, we get it already.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Same. Getting a ton.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I haven't received a spam call since turning on T-Mobile's network-side spam blocking at the beginning of the month.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

I haven't received a spam call since turning on T-Mobile's network-side spam blocking at the beginning of the month.

I don't entirely trust it, just have the ID turned on. Been spot on though.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Femur posted:

For those using action launcher, what does the setting day theme calenders​ icons do? I am playing around with it, and it seems nothing. I thought it would make my calenders app icon behave like the google one and change with the date, but it does not.

That's exactly what it does, but only works with some calendar apps (like Google Calendar).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Taffer posted:

A couple years back I'd get the usual sales cold call spam that everyone knows, but I don't anymore. Now it's just eerie silence. If anyone knows what's up with that I'd love to hear more about it.

Dunno about youse specifically, but it's common for their automated systems to make more calls than they have people to handle, so their workers finish a call and immediately have another pitch to start with zero downtime

It means a lot of redundant extra calls that never get a worker on them, which sucks for the people getting cold called, but lol if you think they care about messing you around for nothing

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Is there a podcast app that will auto download episodes not listened to in order of oldest to newest?

For example, I just started listening to a podcast and I like to listen from the beginning. So I'd like an app that can download the next couple episodes automatically (on wifi) and delete old episodes once I've listened to them. I don't mind paying for a good app.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Humerus posted:

Is there a podcast app that will auto download episodes not listened to in order of oldest to newest?

For example, I just started listening to a podcast and I like to listen from the beginning. So I'd like an app that can download the next couple episodes automatically (on wifi) and delete old episodes once I've listened to them. I don't mind paying for a good app.

Beyondpod can download episodes in-order on a per-feed basis, and you can set it to globally delete episodes after you listen to them, but the deletion isn't per-feed, so it would be deleting any podcast episode after you listen to it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

baka kaba posted:

Dunno about youse specifically, but it's common for their automated systems to make more calls than they have people to handle, so their workers finish a call and immediately have another pitch to start with zero downtime

It means a lot of redundant extra calls that never get a worker on them, which sucks for the people getting cold called, but lol if you think they care about messing you around for nothing

Oh hi! Sorry I was having some trouble with my headset.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been getting tons of spam calls, but from head hunters. Put an account on Monster (or update a stale one) and everyone will call you for the most menial jobs. Especially annoying when I was looking to relocate, but the callers would only see my current location. "We have a job for you in X!" "Thanks, but I'm looking to move to Y."

Project Fi voicemail transcripts are a life saver, even if they are often hilariously wrong. Though one should stay on top of deleting old messages or the one time you need to call into voicemail (ie, didn't have data), you'll get "You have 42 new messages."

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

baka kaba posted:

:shrug: that's what I'd think but theres been like 8 in a row silent and I haven't gotten real sales spam calls in a couple years. It's just really odd.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So, since I loaded up Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite, removing the originals, I haven't gotten the Pixel random screen lock up all weekend.

Not surprised, considering how lovely the fat clients are. Hopefully we'll get an official US release.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm good with Friendly for both the FB and Messenger functions, but I don't message FB friends often. I guess for people who do, having Messenger Lite is preferable to the little nested menu thing in Friendly? I'm just glad to have the whole lovely service slammed into one lightweight app I can check on once in a while.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I just prefer the stripped down versions because I couldn't give a single gently caress about stories or the curated feed.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
when does the us get messenger lite

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

got some chores tonight posted:

when does the us get messenger lite

Once the NSA finishes inserting its backdoors and approves its release

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
e: nm

VVVVVV

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 1, 2017

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Use apkmirror it is less shady

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Does anyone know if it's possible to shrink the area the dock takes up in Action Launcher? It's huge and makes the dock icons look cartoonishly big.

Here's Action Launcher:

And here's Nova Launcher for comparison:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

rolleyes posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to shrink the area the dock takes up in Action Launcher? It's huge and makes the dock icons look cartoonishly big.

Here's Action Launcher:

And here's Nova Launcher for comparison:

In AL, go Settings -> Desktop -> Icon Scale

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is Facebook Messenger still a massive battery drain if you let it take over SMS? 7 years of smartphones now I never paid for an app, not about to pay Textra to remove ads.

Also I been using Microsoft Arrow launcher for the last month or two. It works very well and is nice and smooth when you enable high performance mode

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Messenger is supposed to be ok, the regular android messaging app is fine tho

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

codo27 posted:

Is Facebook Messenger still a massive battery drain if you let it take over SMS? 7 years of smartphones now I never paid for an app, not about to pay Textra to remove ads.

Why not exactly? Have something against giving devs of good apps a couple bucks for using them over the years? Heck, you should be doing Google Survey Rewards if you already aren't.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

codo27 posted:

7 years of smartphones now I never paid for an app, not about to pay Textra to remove ads.

That's a really odd hill to die on.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Also you could prolly just use an adblocker like anyone else who dislikes ads and is cheap

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

They need to offer me more than removing ads for me to pay for it. Give me something thats head and shoulders above what free alternatives offer. I like Textra's popup feature but the lack of customization is a killer

Also keep in mind that I hate phones. I hate them. If I have literally any other device handy, thats what I'm using. Mainly because I'm a mouse & keyboard junkie, and also have large clumsy hands which dont make typing on touch screens easy. Swype came on my original Galaxy S and I've been using some variation of it ever since aside from a brief fling with Windows phone which even brought that feature in eventually.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 1, 2017

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I use Facebook Messenger for SMS messaging and it doesn't significantly impact my battery life. My wife uses Signal's SMS integration, however, and is very happy with it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

codo27 posted:

They need to offer me more than removing ads for me to pay for it. Give me something thats head and shoulders above what free alternatives offer. I like Textra's popup feature but the lack of customization is a killer

You on nougat? You can just reply from the notification with the regular android messaging app. Like if you don't care so much why use textra in the first place

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Blue Train posted:

Like if you don't care so much why use textra in the first place

The default samsung one just is very limited in customization. I really just wanna change backgrounds/bubble styles, fonts too would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

codo27 posted:

The default samsung one just is very limited in customization. I really just wanna change backgrounds/bubble styles, fonts too would be cool

Ah well in that case try this https://play.google.com/store/apps/...JI4SPmQHUg4vAAg