Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

GreenNight posted:

Grab the streaming channel Pluto on your Roku or whatever if it's offered. Has 24/7 MST3K and Rifftrax channels.

I'm not a huge fan of the Rifftrax channel. Since Rifftrax don't have defined commercial points they just cut to commercial at random spots, often in the middle of one of the riffers' sentences.

Snak posted:

Make it about impending extinction from climate change.

That's literally what the original Dinosaurs was already about.

Iron Crowned posted:

That makes no sense since Dan was dead for the whole final season

Surprise! It was just another well crafted story to mislead you!

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

The Gong Show is something that's really overdue for coming back as it's a pretty great concept. That gimmick host thing is a bit weird though.

Well they can't all be assassins!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

The Gong Show is something that's really overdue for coming back as it's a pretty great concept. That gimmick host thing is a bit weird though.

I really admire the gimmick, at least on paper. The Gong Show has always been this oddball variety show, right down to the host who would eventually write a memoir that claimed he killed several people as a CIA contractor. You can't get a host like that these days without paying some hefty insurance fees, so why not invent one?

There's a better-than-slight chance it plays as fake-y and superficial, but hey, a straight Gong Show might not work anyway, why not try it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man, people are going nuts for American Gods. I'm only like halfway through the book but I'll have to watch the episode they put up early.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

That's literally what the original Dinosaurs was already about.

That's why I posted that, it was an oddly prophetic show as we head into yet another hottest summer ever.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
This Gong Show thing is amusing to me. Didn't it already get rebooted once before in the 80's? I think I remember watching it as a kid then.

Anyway, the more amusing part to me is: Wasn't the original Gong Show basically one of the first contest shows (and proto-modern-reality-shows) to just blatantly exist for the sole reason of making fun of its contestants? And nowadays, that's just normal, routine, and old-hat.

bobkatt013 posted:

Well they can't all be assassins!

This. Kinda wish the host was just Sam Rockwell to be honest.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

It's not too hard to go back and look, but what they were saying was a meme used by people critical of The Leftovers was that Norah paying sexworkers to shoot her in the vested chest was somehow bad, and that's when I originally responded to you and said I had never heard that complaint, and then Whisk responded that it was a low-effort meme.

Though again, not too hard to go back and look, even if you didn't just...remember it like I did...

Too busy to remember, I've got more TV to watch.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

That's why I posted that, it was an oddly prophetic show as we head into yet another hottest summer ever.

I can't believe the show predicted something that people had already known about for 20 years.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arist posted:

Man, people are going nuts for American Gods. I'm only like halfway through the book but I'll have to watch the episode they put up early.
They leaked the pilot?!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Josh Lyman posted:

They leaked the pilot?!

Nah it's on Starz's app or something.

e: Or maybe it's not, I might have misread something

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 29, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I think they've done screenings of it, which is probably where you're seeing all the reactions from.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stop making shows with "American" in the title. It's hard enough telling American Crime and American Crime Story apart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I decided to get it together and finally start watching Supernatural again. I hit play on Netflix and picked up where I left off four years ago. Problem is, I had no idea what the hell was going on so oh well, started over at the beginning!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Angels are dicks, demons are dicks, Sam and Dean are dicks to each other. Stuff gets killed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mu Zeta posted:

Stop making shows with "American" in the title. It's hard enough telling American Crime and American Crime Story apart.

Wait, that is 2 different shows?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mu Zeta posted:

American Gods is just a remake of American Graffiti, right?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Quick, someone make American Dogs!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Do shows with "American" or "America" in the title do well overseas?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
American Motorcycle Builder

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
America's American: Revenge Rising: Birth of Vengeance

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arist posted:

drat. Was trying to finish the book before it premiered but forgot. Either I'm gonna have to cram the book in this weekend or wait on the series. I'm kind of pumped for this one.

Aphrodite posted:

Angels are dicks, demons are dicks, Sam and Dean are dicks to each other. Stuff gets killed.

I mean, yeah, the series is formulaic as gently caress as you could describe ever season beginning as "Sam or Dean is mad at the other because they did something foolish to save the other one's life and it unleashed some kind of scary danger on the world that they have to stop with a frenemy Crowley and a despondent Castiel". But also the show is so thick with mythology and characters and just different species that you probably would be utterly lost jumping back into the show in the middle. Like every other episode has a callback to something or another.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
So this is something: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/hacker-threatens-to-release-new-season-of-orange-is-the-new-black-1202403612/

And the leaked premiere is definitely out there now, I can confirm.

I hope the hacker asked for naked pictures of Bea Arthur.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

So this is something: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/hacker-threatens-to-release-new-season-of-orange-is-the-new-black-1202403612/

This is just weird even by the standards of the file-sharing community.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The end​ of the last season was a huge cliffhanger.

I have​ no idea how that ties into this.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

MiddleOne posted:

This is just weird even by the standards of the file-sharing community.

What are the standards of the file-sharing community? :allears:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Longbaugh01 posted:

greetz

From what I understand, the "scene" is more concerned with bitching at each other over quality standards. "The sound is off by 0.334 seconds get your poo poo together"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The scene is absurdly commited to speed and quality in releases and take huge pride in being first. For them releases are a holy calling.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bruceski posted:

American Gods is just a remake of American Graffiti, right?

No, it's a spin-off of The Americans.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MTV cancelled Sweet/Vicious. I'm triggered.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

gently caress you MTV.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

:wtf:!!!!!!!!

Goddamn that's a great show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Longbaugh01 posted:

Why would they think Netflix of all people would give a poo poo, outside of figuring out the source of the leak? I'm sure the subscription based service that releases shows in entire seasons is totally gonna pay your extortion fee, hax0r b0i.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mu Zeta posted:

To be fair, the "American" part of American Gods is pretty much the entire point of the book/series, so I would think it gets a pass.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

Of course they did. The people who championed it at the network are gone, and the new guys in charge were ordered to abandon the push toward scripted and double down on unscripted. It showed in how they treated the series throughout its run; no promotion, no repeats, suddenly airing the finale as a two hour block without any warning, absolutely no support whatsoever.

You know what FX did when Legion was struggling in the ratings? Struck a deal with Hulu and got that poo poo streaming IMMEDIATELY so people could catch up. It was renewed a week later.

Screw 'em. That was their last best chance to build a scripted audience. Between this and the ridiculous bullshit that went on behind the scenes at Scream, their reputation with TV writers is probably in tatters at this point.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

DivisionPost posted:

Screw 'em. That was their last best chance to build a scripted audience. Between this and the ridiculous bullshit that went on behind the scenes at Scream, their reputation with TV writers is probably in tatters at this point.

What happened with Scream?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Uh, so yeah, Handmaid's Tale is loving incredible and brutal as gently caress. poo poo, episode 3. Goddamn.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I watched the first episode of The Handmaid's Tale and I am angry at everything.

Their choice of ending credits song was totally perfect though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

I watched the first episode of The Handmaid's Tale and I am angry at everything.

Episode 1 is nothing compared to 3. Nothing.

That needle drop at the end of episode 2 was incredible

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guy Mann posted:

I can't believe the show predicted something that people had already known about for 20 years.

1) :eyeroll: 2) It didn't have to happen. People should have listened to Not The Momma back when that show was around.

Longbaugh01 posted:

They don't typically ransom content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Yeah it kind of doesn't stop building from there, be warned.

• Locked thread