Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

timefly posted:

A friend of mine will say things twice, as if not responding within half a second means you must not have heard him: "hey, so my brother called earlier. My brother called." :bang:

Hey did I tell you my brother called?

I'd like shorter explanations for $200, Alex. As in, my mom went to a cat rescue site today to check out some cats and kittens, see if one would fit for a foster for us. We used to foster kittens and that wore me out, so 1-2 adult cats is fine. So off she goes. Comes back without a cat. I ask her what happened/why no cat. Cue 15 minutes of backtrack talking, ummms, and lots of attempts to shove her phone in my hands so she can narrate each photo. All she had to say? "The cat I did like wasn't open to fostering and the house was a mess and I think most of the cats are sick."

I also hate my lead dispatcher's attitude. He talks down to you all the time, is clearly angry when you call him for help, and gets irritated if you inform him of a potential issue (like, you know, a closed highway). If he puts you on a 90 minute drive to get to pickup A, which is an hour from delivery site B, and you tell him hey, that is a lot of windshield time, you sure you want me to do that? During our busiest time of the day? The reply is always a passive aggressive sigh and babytalk about how he waaaaaants me to do it because no one else can. I missed my lunch today, got bad knee cramps, and worked over 30 minutes for this poo poo. Because he can't dispatch for poo poo. But the loving tone of voice, like I'm in the loving well and he's Jame Gumb, I wish I could strangle the gently caress. You're not my boss, dickhead, you're my level in the company and we're supposed to work together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People shouting at the television when they're watching the sports. That's pretty obnoxious and just as annoying.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
People who honk the instant the light turns green.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
People who honk period. The instances where you need the horn on a car is so rare that it should be one of those "Break glass in case of" things. That after you use the horn. It remains stuck and you need a service to reset it.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
My daily commute includes at least one of the following:

People who speed right up to your bumper before passing you on the highway.

People that run the red light because "it's only been red for a couple seconds/the person in front of me ran it."

People that don't know how four-way stops work and treat it as a free-for-all. Alternatively, people that wave at you for you to go even though its their turn. Just GO! You have the right-of-way! You're not being helpful, you're loving things up for everyone else!

People that think yield signs mean "loving floor it before this car hits me and get pissed off because it almost hit me," and not, you know, "yield to oncoming traffic"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Catberry posted:

People who honk period. The instances where you need the horn on a car is so rare that it should be one of those "Break glass in case of" things. That after you use the horn. It remains stuck and you need a service to reset it.

Living in a state where people don't honk much, that is very popular for Californians to move to makes me want to kill them with their honking at everyone all the time.

I honk my horn like 4 times a year and these loving assholes can't drive 5 feet without leaning on it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Catberry posted:

My one exception is when they just sit there when the light turns green. Usually staring at their phones. Those people get honks.

I wait a long time, too. At least 5 seconds.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
OMG Cowslips, you are drinking diet soda? That will kill you! It gives cancer to lab rats!

Said while smoking a cigarette.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

OMG Cowslips, you are drinking diet soda? That will kill you! It gives cancer to lab rats!

my mom (smoker for 40+ years) said the same thing to me while smoking except it was about putting my phone in my bra 🤔

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cowslips Warren posted:

"Good thing I'm not a lab rat."

I suspect she might not know how to respond if you say that.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Wasn't the aspartame being bad for you thing shown that for it to have any sort of effect you would have to consume like 5 pallets worth every day for like 5 years. Like it's an insane amount of aspartame to do anything.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Moai Ou posted:

People that don't know how four-way stops work and treat it as a free-for-all.

Also known as three-way-stops or everybody-else-stops.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

Most people don't get it though. So it's easier to just fully explain it to everyone.

A lot of people say "okay", "uh-huh", "got it" to explanations and then proceed to say or do something that reveals that they have no idea what they are doing. It's better to overexplain than underexplain IMO.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

veni veni veni posted:

Living in a state where people don't honk much, that is very popular for Californians to move to makes me want to kill them with their honking at everyone all the time.

I honk my horn like 4 times a year and these loving assholes can't drive 5 feet without leaning on it.

I once had a neighbor who would honk the horn as a signal for his wife to hurry up. This would happen at least once a day.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Catberry posted:

I once had a neighbor who would honk the horn as a signal for his wife to hurry up. This would happen at least once a day.

What a colossal rear end in a top hat. I hate that poo poo, it's pure disrespect, plain and simple.

Floridian here: do other states have the same prevalence of "I was BORN in this state, so NYAH" bumper stickers? In the past year or two I see a ton of "LOCAL" (with an upside down FL as the "L") and "FLO-GROWN" stickers, usually in addition to hunting gear brands or occasionally stickers that subtly indicate the owner is racist. Look, being born here is nothing to be proud of, especially in 2017.

That said this is my town, all the snowbirds need to get da gently caress out including the shitbird who has a gold apartment in NY.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

What a colossal rear end in a top hat. I hate that poo poo, it's pure disrespect, plain and simple.

Floridian here: do other states have the same prevalence of "I was BORN in this state, so NYAH" bumper stickers? In the past year or two I see a ton of "LOCAL" (with an upside down FL as the "L") and "FLO-GROWN" stickers, usually in addition to hunting gear brands or occasionally stickers that subtly indicate the owner is racist. Look, being born here is nothing to be proud of, especially in 2017.

That said this is my town, all the snowbirds need to get da gently caress out including the shitbird who has a gold apartment in NY.

Yeah these are really popular amongst idiots in Colorado right now. About a million people moved here over the course of 2 years and doubled rent/home prices so I agree with the sentiment but it's just tacky as hell on a bumper sticker. That said I might eventually move to Florida lol.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

That said I might eventually move to Florida lol.

As one of those Florida born people, let me please dissuade you from this choice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it's kind of funny that we think we have any sort of claim to a state by being born there. Don't get me wrong I get it. Between weed and tech start ups Denver has been turned upside down and I kind hate these motherfuckers for making it so I can't afford an apartment in the city I was born in anymore without taking on a roommate (which I had no problem doing for the past 15 years). At the same time it's all just the US. Being able to move wherever you want is kind of the point I guess?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

it's kind of funny that we think we have any sort of claim to a state by being born there. Don't get me wrong I get it. Between weed and tech start ups Denver has been turned upside down and I kind hate these motherfuckers for making it so I can't afford an apartment in the city I was born in anymore without taking on a roommate (which I had no problem doing for the past 15 years). At the same time it's all just the US. Being able to move wherever you want is kind of the point I guess?

No, no, no, you misunderstand.

This isn't a "don't move here, it's too nice and I hate more people coming here" thing.

This is a friendly warning. Don't move here, it's poo poo, the people are poo poo, the weather is poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol yeah I went out to Tampa in February and it was perfect and everyone I know who is from there was like "wait until summer it's awful". I just loved all the water and crazy animals everywhere. My brother was out there in July and the AC broke and he said he thought he was going to die.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Not really a thing people do but nerds do do: using "X doesn't exist" to mean "I don't like X". As in "There are only two Robocop movies" or "I'm glad they never made a movie out of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" or poo poo like that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not really a thing people do but nerds do do: using "X doesn't exist" to mean "I don't like X". As in "There are only two Robocop movies" or "I'm glad they never made a movie out of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" or poo poo like that.

loving same.
I know too many grown-rear end adults that, when they don't like something even a little bit, claim it's "THE WORST THING EVER!!!!!"

That new tapas place is worse than the Rape of Nanking? Are you absolutely sure the Power Rangers movie is a million times worse than the reign of Pol Pot?
You suuuuuuure?

I hate people that are so boring and lame that they invent medical issues for why they can't do something. I'm sorry that your mild dandruff is getting in the way of going hiking.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
To be fair if someone is complaining about dandruff being an excuse to get out of hiking you probably dodged a bullet. They don't sound like fun company on a walk.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair you don't know how bad it is. There might be danger of an Avalanche :v:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jerry Cotton posted:

The ninth season of Scrubs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bogan King posted:

To be fair if someone is complaining about dandruff being an excuse to get out of hiking you probably dodged a bullet. They don't sound like fun company on a walk.

It took me a while to cut these types out of my life but now I'm free and can BREATHE.
There was one guy that would be furious if you didn't invite him to stuff but would almost never show up.
If he did, he'd be miserable and never help.
Nah dude, you just hang out in your hammock while everyone else gets firewood and sets up dinner.
Oh, you don't like what we're cooking? Go catch a rabbit or something, you gently caress.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Inzombiac posted:

It took me a while to cut these types out of my life but now I'm free and can BREATHE.
There was one guy that would be furious if you didn't invite him to stuff but would almost never show up.
If he did, he'd be miserable and never help.
Nah dude, you just hang out in your hammock while everyone else gets firewood and sets up dinner.
Oh, you don't like what we're cooking? Go catch a rabbit or something, you gently caress.

:respek:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
People who talk on and on about a single subject, retreading the same ground over and over.

Usually, this is when I can't escape them, such as at work.

"Yes, Clint the Idiot, I'm sure marijuana is very exciting, but can't you talk about literally anything else?*"

"Yes, Jakob the Wigger, I know you worship 50 cent, and you've already told me you want to go to prison several times before. I know, ok?"

* = I got my wish, and he kept singing Bob Marley songs over and over instead.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo
Also, root beer is uncommon in Australia, which is a shame, as it is my favourite drink.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
People who drive slowly in the right line and then only find the accelerator when you decide to overtake them. Because some people see being overtaken as a personal slight.

Except I'm driving a 20 year old Volvo station wagon loaded with work stuff, so now I can't pass them and have to get back in the right lane.

With the threat to their dominance of the right lane safely neutralized. They then drift off and gradually begin to slow down again.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 07:30 on May 1, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Also, root beer is uncommon in Australia, which is a shame, as it is my favourite drink.

We hosted a ton of Japanese students when I was young. Getting them to try root beer for the first time was always hilarious. Apparently to them it tastes like cough syrup.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sic Semper Goon posted:

You can get sarsparilla in most supermarkets though?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, but I like the A&W brand from the USA.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Yeah, but I like the A&W brand from the USA.

You need to get some of the glass bottle brands like Stewart's or Henry Weinhards.

I wish we could get Lemon Squash in the US. And lamingtons. And eucalyptus scented Kleenex.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Inzombiac posted:

We hosted a ton of Japanese students when I was young. Getting them to try root beer for the first time was always hilarious. Apparently to them it tastes like cough syrup.
This Korean guy pointed out to me that root beer tastes like toothpaste, and I can't not taste it now. I still like it but it's like... tasty toothpaste.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

veni veni veni posted:

Lol yeah I went out to Tampa in February and it was perfect and everyone I know who is from there was like "wait until summer it's awful". I just loved all the water and crazy animals everywhere. My brother was out there in July and the AC broke and he said he thought he was going to die.

It's proof Hell is really green and humid.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

"Yes, Jakob the Wigger, I know you worship 50 cent, and you've already told me you want to go to prison several times before. I know, ok?"
Have you asked him why he doesn't just go commit a crime then? It's not like going to prison is difficult to accomplish.

Inzombiac posted:

Isn't that what it tastes like to everyone?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

You guys must have some delicious cough syrup down there if you think it tastes like root beer.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tiggum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWIVEuK5ATw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
One of my friends has a six year old who likes to hit people. Not hard, but sometimes if you tell him some bad news (IE, the popcorn bag is empty) he'll let a punch fly at you. His parents don't think anything is wrong with this.

A coworker (different person) thinks the school principal was 'over the line' in suspending her son for threatening him and damaging school property.

So if I, a childless person, tell the adults what for (IE, your kid needs to not loving hit me), the parents get super angry because when I have kids of my own, I'll know how it is! Yes. Yes. IF I ever had kids, I would teach them not to hit people or threaten to blow up a school!

"You're not a parent, you don't understand!"

• Locked thread