Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Bluetooth on the Pixel is honestly pretty poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Bluetooth is a bourgeois affectation a true Comrade of the proletariat would use an aux cord slash wired headphones

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
How do I know if my Samsung phone has been hacked? It's an S7 on Android version 7.0. This morning I noticed that a random app was open that I don't usually have open and now I'm realizing a patern of random apps being open in the background. Is my device compromised?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm tempted to say it was compromised the day you bought it, but that might be too much snark even for this thread

I think it's time for you to factory reset. Why take the chance?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Factory reset is like going to the dentist-really painful and unpleasant but ultimately necessary. I'll do it later.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

Factory reset is like going to the dentist-really painful and unpleasant but ultimately necessary. I'll do it later.

You almost certainly have installed a bad app. It's (still somehow) possible to get an app with lovely intentions from the Play Store, but have you sideloaded any pirated apps/games, or gotten anything from a site that could be reasonably classified as "shady?" If you manage to find the offending app/apps, you'll be able to fix your issue without resetting.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Bluetooth on the Pixel Android is honestly pretty poo poo.

My N6P seems to have two "modes" for which app starts playing when I get in my car; either GPM always launches no matter what, or whatever media app I listened to last launches(which is what I prefer, since I mostly use PocketCasts on my phone). It's roughly even odds that any given monthly update will cause it to flip from the current mode to the other.

So that's the 6p's problem, but literally every Android device has Bluetooth issues that range from that level of annoying to "effectively doesn't work at all."

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

sleepwalkers posted:

You almost certainly have installed a bad app. It's (still somehow) possible to get an app with lovely intentions from the Play Store, but have you sideloaded any pirated apps/games, or gotten anything from a site that could be reasonably classified as "shady?" If you manage to find the offending app/apps, you'll be able to fix your issue without resetting.

Why is the concept of "bad apps" even still acceptable in this day and age? Why doesn't Android sandbox worth a poo poo?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BiohazrD posted:

Why is the concept of "bad apps" even still acceptable in this day and age? Why doesn't Android sandbox worth a poo poo?

It does.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

BiohazrD posted:

There's always some kind of exploit to abuse, so matter how good your sandbox is. Just take a look at this recent hack, though not in Android, it's still proof that no matter how good and secure you try and make things, someone always find a way around it:
Virtual machine escape fetches $105,000 at Pwn2Own hacking contest

quote:

"We used a JavaScript engine bug within Microsoft Edge to achieve the code execution inside the Edge sandbox, and we used a Windows 10 kernel bug to escape from it and fully compromise the guest machine," Qihoo 360 Executive Director Zheng Zheng wrote in an e-mail. "Then we exploited a hardware simulation bug within VMware to escape from the guest operating system to the host one. All started from and only by a controlled a website."
Not to mention badly designed apps that will kill your battery. It's pretty drat difficult to catch that in audit process in the Play Store, when the app itself doesn't do anything illegal, it just tries to get your location 1000 times a second, keeps background synchronizing to an overloaded host service, etc.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I don't think I've downloaded a 'bad app' since I had Samsung's Gen One flagship, the Vibrant. Remember, each carrier got a different name for some dumb reason?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

I don't think I've downloaded a 'bad app' since I had Samsung's Gen One flagship, the Vibrant. Remember, each carrier got a different name for some dumb reason?

I was actually just thinking about this the other day trying to remember the dumbest one which was Sprint's, the Epic because it led to the sequel the Sprint Galaxy SII Epic 4G.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

I was actually just thinking about this the other day trying to remember the dumbest one which was Sprint's, the Epic because it led to the sequel the Sprint Galaxy SII Epic 4G.

SPRINT SAMSUNG GALAXY S EPIC 4G LTE

it was a sideways slider form factor and the keyboard would constantly either freeze completely or just stop working altogether.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Galaxy S Epic was WiMax, which is so much worse.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Samsung Captivate on AT&T here. Still got it around somewhere. Apart from the broken GPS liked that phone for the time.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

I don't think I've downloaded a 'bad app' since I had Samsung's Gen One flagship, the Vibrant.
Honestly, it's pretty difficult to do unless you're pirating or sideloading apps from shady/unofficial sites.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Theris posted:

My N6P seems to have two "modes" for which app starts playing when I get in my car; either GPM always launches no matter what, or whatever media app I listened to last launches(which is what I prefer, since I mostly use PocketCasts on my phone). It's roughly even odds that any given monthly update will cause it to flip from the current mode to the other.

So that's the 6p's problem, but literally every Android device has Bluetooth issues that range from that level of annoying to "effectively doesn't work at all."

My 6P would always prefer to open BeyondPod even if I'd been using Spotify much more recently.

Aside from that the only issue I had was one particular headset took ages (like 30 seconds) to properly connect but that problem persists with my iPhone so I'm not blaming Android.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

It was even dumber as it was called the Sprint Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch.

The original Epic 4G was my first Android. I was a WinMo guy and after the iPhone released I was sure Microsoft, the leader in mobile computing, would fire back with something huge that would turn the iPhone into an irrelevant historical footnote. As we all know now, that was the last time anyone would use Microsoft and "leader in mobile" in the same sentence. After WinMo 7 leaked, showed the world it was poo poo, and was summarily executed I realized it was time to jump ship. The iPhone was AT&T exclusive so it was time to look at Android. I ventured into these forums (at the time The Cellphone Shack subforum under The A/V Arena if you were around back then) to find the best one, and after browsing the half a million Android Threads we had running at the time, decided on the Nexus One. The illuminated trackball, the contrasting colors on the body on Google's page made the phone look super elegant, and the OS looked like what WinMo 7 should've been.

Turns out Google made it next to impossible to buy if you were not on T-Mobile though, and as I was stuck on Sprint at the time, the Galaxy S thread made it look like a fantastic alternative, and their variant even had a hardware keyboard like my old HTC!

Of course, the phone turned out to be complete poo poo. All the inaccurate poo poo people say about Samsung now, was actually true back then. It was 2 Android versions behind with no update scheduled, the screen was gorgeous from 8 feet away but a screen-door, burned in mess from up close. The hardware keyboard turned out to be completely unnecessary, which was good, since there was a 50% chance you'd need to pull the battery after opening the keyboard since the whole thing would hard lock. Touchwiz was a laggy, janky mess loaded with carrier bloatware that not only could you not disable, but ran at startup and murdered your battery pinging Sprint servers for the latest Nascar results you didn't give a poo poo about.

Two months later the Nexus S launched on Sprint and I cut my losses and jumped aboard the Nexus train, got every new Nexus up until the Nexus 4 disappointment motivated me to give other OEMs a second chance.

Now with the rumors of big changes coming with the tenth anniversary iPhone, I find myself tempted to give them a shot if the Note 8 or Pixel 2 don't give me a compelling enough reason not to. I used to think I was too deep into Google's services to even consider it, but I spent some time with a friend's iPhone 7 and after using it and discussing the finer details with him, I'd say Google services work as well or almost even better than they do in Android.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

I spent some time with a friend's iPhone 7 and after using it and discussing the finer details with him, I'd say Google services work as well or almost even better than they do in Android.

I've only had this iPhone for a few days but that still isn't really true. Stuff like Gmail and YouTube works fine but Google Now isn't integrated, Android Wear is crippled and the Google Keyboard just doesn't work as well on iOS

E. Chromecast kinda sucks on iOS too

dissss fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 29, 2017

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

dissss posted:

How so?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

dissss posted:

I've only had this iPhone for a few days but that still isn't really true. Stuff like Gmail and YouTube works fine but Google Now isn't integrated, Android Wear is crippled and the Google Keyboard just doesn't work as well on iOS

Why would you use Android wear or Google Keyboard on an iPhone though? I found Google Now to work pretty well, the integration in Android is nice, but not having it on iPhone doesn't cripple its functions in any way. That said, I don't own an iPhone, so my experience is limited, there may be escenarios I'm not taking into consideration.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

dissss posted:

People use my chromecast with ios and have never had issues. Seems to work just as well with ios as it does with android. It's possible that you think it's bad because of the netflix app, which has the worst chromecast integration of any app I've ever seen, both on ios and android.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

No screen mirroring, no persistent controls

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

Why would you use Android wear or Google Keyboard on an iPhone though?

For the same reason you'd want to use them with Android.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So my pixel xl gets here Tuesday. What apps and stuff should I do and get first.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

LastInLine posted:

The Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch with WiMax from Sprint was such a garbage phone. It was the first smartphone my parents and I got and we ended up going through at least twelve of them between the three of us because of various problems Sprint couldn't fix when we brought them back to the store.

I don't remember the issues my parents had, but iirc some of the issues the ones I had were things like a five hour battery life (with the screen off, if I used it at all I got three hours), phantom touches on the back/menu keys, overheating batteries that made the phone too hot to use, broken antennas that could barely pick up a signal inside the Sprint store to say nothing of anywhere else, and finally an inability to connect to WiFi. We could have switched to a different phone (they offered to let us switch to some unknown brand piece of poo poo) but we kept getting replacements because we were honestly curious if there were any versions of the phone that weren't horribly broken.

For some reason, the store put a new policy in place afterwards with a limit on how many replacement phones you could get with Sprint's protection plan if they were unable to fix your problems. I wonder why.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

RC Cola posted:

So my pixel xl gets here Tuesday. What apps and stuff should I do and get first.

Install Awful, uninstall Facebook.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
No real reason to use Facebook app when the mobile site supports notifications and Facebook Messenger (Lite) is its own app now.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

RC Cola posted:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

For some reason, the store put a new policy in place afterwards with a limit on how many replacement phones you could get with Sprint's protection plan if they were unable to fix your problems. I wonder why.

So is Sprint's current policy to just tell customers to get hosed if they get a series of bad devices?

"Yes, we know you bought this device we recommended to you, and it ended up being an overall bad product, and you've had to replace yours five times, but you're just stuck with this one now. Sorry about your luck. $400 early termination fee if you switch to another carrier."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Variable_H posted:

So is Sprint's current policy to just tell customers to get hosed if they get a series of bad devices?

"Yes, we know you bought this device we recommended to you, and it ended up being an overall bad product, and you've had to replace yours five times, but you're just stuck with this one now. Sorry about your luck. $400 early termination fee if you switch to another carrier."

A couple of years ago my friends ~6mo old S5 had some kind of problem that rendered it useless, after two or three replacements they ended up giving her a Galaxy Nexus in the end lol. She still fuckin uses sprint too smh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Using a Samsung on Sprint is just a series of poor decisions I can't even imagine.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I genuinely don't understand how Sprint is still in business after all of their horrible business decisions. Sponsoring NASCAR for far longer than they probably should have, buying Radio Shack as the company was shutting down, betting on WiMax when LTE was the obvious future.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I can't imagine how someone ends up on Sprint. It's like they want the worst coverage, device, prices, and customer experience and just aren't willing to compromise on any of that. I feel like if you offered them two cans connected by a piece of string for $100 a month they'd turn it down for being too reliable.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Maybe they're all Nextel acquisition customers who are just sticking around with the hope new walkie-talkie phones will come out that they can use to annoy the poo poo out of their neighbors.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

One of my suitemates my first semester of college had one of those and literally every morning he would be chirping back and forth with his dad and it was just the worst

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
with T-Mobile I feel like there are at least some pros to go along with the cons. Sprint just generally sucks.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

I can't imagine how someone ends up on Sprint. It's like they want the worst coverage, device, prices, and customer experience and just aren't willing to compromise on any of that. I feel like if you offered them two cans connected by a piece of string for $100 a month they'd turn it down for being too reliable.

I moved to Sprint to get a Pre back in 2009, when you could still easily find that employee's email and code to compete the sign up process. It was a good price at the time compared to Verizon for unlimited, but I remember the service immediately beginning a long decline for various reasons until I switched us to Cricket last year. The only reason I stayed with Sprint even that long was because my work paid for it. It's amazing that even with the 8Mbps limit on Cricket, it's still faster/more reliable than Sprint ever was for me. Nothing like 1-2 Mbps LTE at best, to say nothing of loving WiMax.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I think that after they are on it for years they just don't realize things can be better. The same friend says she has no problems with Sprint despite regularly not receiving my texts for multiple hours after I send them, or sometimes not at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Farchanter posted:

with T-Mobile I feel like there are at least some pros to go along with the cons. Sprint just generally sucks.

I've been a T-Mo customer for almost 20 years (back when they were Voicestream) and I'll be the first to admit you had to accept a lot of downsides but they've always had excellent customer service at least. All I ever hear are stories about Sprint making GBS threads all over their customers which to me is just crazy. Like sirbeefalot said, you could go to an MVNO if you wanted to be treated terribly.

Now that T-Mobile won that auction for 600MHz spectrum though, I expect them to go downhill. They're finally in a position where they can compete with AT&T and Verizon. That auction and that band was specifically for Sprint and T-Mobile so they could have hope of parity with AT&T/Verizon (who were not allowed to participate), but by the time the auction rolled around, Sprint had so badly managed their finances that they were unable to attend the auction and T-Mobile got all of the best spectrum ever made available for cellphone telephony in the US. Sprint failed in a gimme and if you think the Trump FCC is going to help the little guy again, well, sorry.