Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Randarkman posted:

Except the guy i responded to did.

No, he very clearly did not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Notes non-communist country East Germany.

This is incredibly dumb. Have your victory if that's what you want

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Now you're just not making any sense at all.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Ostalgie is cute.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TheRat posted:

Now you're just not making any sense at all.

You have me vanquished and at a loss for words.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TheRat posted:

Can't we all just agree that both GDR and America are awful and no one sane would want to live in either?

Randarkman posted:

Jesus Christ.

America is a loving paradise compared to every single communist country through history.

doverhog posted:

Sure, but would you prefer to live in an European social democracy or Trump's America?

Randarkman posted:

moving the goalposts are we?

Tell me again, who first started comparing America to communist countries thereby moving the goalposts?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I am already smitten and cowering before my conqueror. Will you not be merciful?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

blowfish posted:

Ostalgie is cute.

i like the little people on the traffic lights, with their little hats

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

doverhog posted:

You are really naive, and also don't know what feudalism means. In feudalism the king, and the hierarchy all they way down, have a contract with their subjects, where they receive their service and offer protection in return. Neoliberalism offers nothing but suffering, poverty and death for those who lose the social lottery. Feudalism is objectively a better system of government than neoliberal capitalism.

Are you actually advocating serfdom over the current system

EDIT: gently caress it, there's no point even debating this if you're going to just be a contrarian.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I'm advocating for social democracy, you are the one who brought up feudalism.

However, a neoliberal market fanatic doesn't believe in any protections for the poor, whereas in feudalism they are key to the whole concept, and thus it is better. It's a philosophical question: do you believe society has the responsibility to take care of it's members, or is it ok for them to die in the name of efficient markets and economic growth?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

doverhog posted:

in feudalism they (protections for the poor) are key to the whole concept

This guy is killing me

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

doverhog posted:

I'm advocating for social democracy, you are the one who brought up feudalism.

However, a neoliberal market fanatic doesn't believe in any protections for the poor, whereas in feudalism they are key to the whole concept, and thus it is better. It's a philosophical question: do you believe society has the responsibility to take care of it's members, or is it ok for them to die in the name of efficient markets and economic growth?

The guy I was responding to said "Really, it's a return to the ancien regime". Hence my mention of feudalism. Are you going to argue the ancien régime wasn't a feudal system? (you seem to have quite some misconceptions about it, I understand.)

I'm not going to debate the merits and downsides of loving feudalism versus neoliberal capitalism with you, but rest assured that feudalism did not give a single poo poo about poor people. I'm just bewildered by your sudden defense of feudalism.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It's not a defense of feudalism, it's an attack on neoliberal capitalism.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Destroy both feudalism and capitalism wherever it exists. Problem solved.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Doctor Malaver posted:

This guy is killing me
Well it's better to be violently murdered than to suffer the regular starvation in the feudal regime. I am down to eating frogs and cooking snails and using human bones to make bread. Turn out both frogs and snails are actually quite good. Bones bread is still poo poo. Also let me tell you about the fantastic lack of protection of the people during the 100 years war when it was basicaly medieval mad max.

Also meanwhile, notable shitstain& self proclaimed "gaulist", right winger candidate Dupont-Aignan (4.75% of the votes on the first round) called people to vote for Le Pen.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Kassad posted:

Destroy both feudalism and capitalism wherever it exists. Problem solved.

But you forget people can only tackle one problem at a time! For example I need to tie my shoelace so I may forget to breathe for a short while.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Toplowtech posted:

Also meanwhile, notable shitstain& self proclaimed "gaulist", right winger candidate Dupont-Aignan (4.75% of the votes on the first round) called people to vote for Le Pen.

https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/858248016947548164

If she wins, Le Pen will name him Prime Minister.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

doverhog posted:

However, a neoliberal market fanatic doesn't believe in any protections for the poor, whereas in feudalism they are key to the whole concept, and thus it is better.
Feudalism is about the protection of the poor like neoliberalism is about meritocracy.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

She promised him to make him Prime Minister. For the 3.5% out of his 4.5% who were already going to vote for her anyway. Empty promise if you ask me. He would get a minister like agriculture or fishing, at best. His 50 silver coins. No wait he will get nothing because he got no party ready for the parliamentary elections.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 29, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

Ever heard of survivor's bias? Of course the people that gave their life trying to get away from that dump couldn't tell you now how lovely a place the GDR was. The people you know probably were the ones spying on their neighbours and reporting every dissenter to the StaSi.

You know, the (incredibly large) percentage of Stasi informers in the former DDR is suspiciously similar to Die Linke's average percentage of the vote there. Nostalgia for the time they could make their irritating neighbor disappear forever because he was, hmm, a class enemy.

Deltasquid posted:

The guy I was responding to said "Really, it's a return to the ancien regime". Hence my mention of feudalism. Are you going to argue the ancien régime wasn't a feudal system? (you seem to have quite some misconceptions about it, I understand.)

Feudalism as a system had largely ended in Western Europe by 1500, according to most scholars. The Ancien Régime lasted until the 18th century. They're not synonymous.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 29, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kassad posted:

https://twitter.com/afpfr/status/858248016947548164

:mrwhite:

as if i needed another reason to not vote le pen

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Toplowtech posted:

She promised him to make him Prime Minister. For the 3.5% out of his 4.5% who were already going to vote for her anyway. Empty promise if you ask me. He would get a minister like agriculture or fishing, at best. His 50 silver coins. No wait he will get nothing because he got no party ready for the parliamentary elections.

maybe dlf (lol at that acronym) can join the siel as one of the fn's satellite parties

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Feudalism as a system had largely ended in Western Europe by 1500, according to most scholars. The Ancien Régime lasted until the 18th century. They're not synonymous.
Aspects of feudalism carried on into the 18th century in France and 19th in Germany. You could also make a pretty good case that feudalism was an English phenomenon and that there were multiple other systems going in Europe that were all slightly different (and influenced one another) - the French had corvée labour going on, the Germans had a professional class of not-necessarily-noble landholders and managers enfoeffed by the Emperor, the Spanish had a much more powerful nobility relative to the royalty than in other places because of the tributes they had extracted from the Taifas, and the state was built around that, lots going on!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The relevant parts are:
- separate justice systems for the nobles and the commoners
- nobles have privileges, such as being tax exempt
- commoners are treated like dirt, they have to obey the nobles and they are the only ones who pay the taxes

Neoliberalism says that:
- corporations and rich people can use private arbitration courts instead of the justice system
- corporations and the wealthy need to be tax exempt because trickle down growth reaganomics
- employees should shut up and work more, unions are bad, workplace regulations are bad, welfare is unaffordable

So yes, neoliberalism is neofeodalism.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Wolfgang Schaüble is due to give a lecture at my university in May...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Wolfgang Schaüble is due to give a lecture at my university in May...

Try to make your university extremely wheelchair inaccessible before he comes.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Don't do this, he'll be carried in, like it and get the old papal chair. Then he'll go around on that carried by a Greek, a Spaniard, an Irishman and a Cypriot. And GC clapping behind him.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

I have known multiple people who were adults in the GDR and who said it was not perfect, but acceptable and livable. Maybe modern day America is livable for you, probably because you're either not poor, not black, not hispanic or not chronically ill or whatever other state of being that makes life in modern day America pretty awful.

Of course, a country so successful that it completely abolished itself at the very first chance it got.

What meager material wealth the GDR managed to scrape together was bought with an enormous debt crisis. By the 80s, its economy(like the Soviet one) was incredibly inefficient, corrupt, dysfunctional and unsustainable and collapsed like a wet sack of poo poo as a result.

I'm not even gonna go into the political and cultural aspect of it. It's a gigantic loving insult to everyone who had to live through all the oppression, torture and misery to just say "well, at least we had useless, barely paid jobs and if you kept your head down you got to drink coffee once a year. beats being black in the US. :downs:"

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

The relevant parts are:
- separate justice systems for the nobles and the commoners
- nobles have privileges, such as being tax exempt
- commoners are treated like dirt, they have to obey the nobles and they are the only ones who pay the taxes

Neoliberalism says that:
- corporations and rich people can use private arbitration courts instead of the justice system
- corporations and the wealthy need to be tax exempt because trickle down growth reaganomics
- employees should shut up and work more, unions are bad, workplace regulations are bad, welfare is unaffordable

So yes, neoliberalism is neofeodalism.

Or rather that neoliberalism/libertarinism will devolve into feudalism.
Libertarians fail to understand that without the state to regulate the economy, the so-called free market will turn less and less free because there is no equal oppurtunity and the major powers will protect themselves by creating monopolies/oligopolies to keep competitors out.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Piketty on the second round of the French election: http://www.liberation.fr/debats/201...time=1493476750

quote:

A plus court terme, il y a ce second tour Le Pen-Macron. Quel regard portez-vous sur ce duel ?
Avant tout, dans les jours qui viennent, ne pas perdre de vue l’essentiel : il faut tout faire pour que Marine Le Pen soit battue le plus largement possible. Je comprends la frustration des électeurs de gauche, qu’ils aient choisi Hamon, Mélenchon, Arthaud ou Poutou, de devoir voter Emmanuel Macron : si la gauche s’était unie, elle aurait pu être présente au second tour. Mais dans l’immédiat, il faut donner sa voix à Macron. D’abord, parce qu’il ne faut pas laisser s’installer progressivement l’idée que l’extrême droite pourrait un jour accéder au pouvoir. 70 % - 30 %, ce n’est pas la même chose que 55 % - 45 %. Ensuite, parce que plus le score de Macron sera fort, plus il sera clair que ce n’est pas son programme que nous accréditons. Ce candidat n’a réuni que 24 % des votes au premier tour - et encore, beaucoup d’entre eux étaient tactiques, pas des votes de conviction (à peine 15 %). Plus son score sera haut au second tour, plus il sera bien clair que ce n’est pas son programme qui a gagné, mais l’extrême droite qui a été écartée. Il ne faut pas laisser penser à Macron qu’il est, grâce à ses idées ou à sa personne, le seul rempart face au FN.

Bad translation:
In the near future, there will be a second round runoff between Le Pen and Macron. What is your opinion about this contest?
Above all, in the days to come, we must bear one thing in mind: it is vital to do everything we can to ensure that Marine Le Pen is beaten by the widest possible margin. I understand that left wing voters who backed Hamon, Mélenchon, Arthaud, or Poutou may be frustrated about having to vote for Macron; if the left had been united, it could have been represented in the second round. However, under the circumstances, it is essential to support Macron. First, because we cannot allow the gradual normalisation of the idea that the extreme right could one day win power. 70%-30% is a very different thing to 55% - 45%. Second, because the higher Macron's share of the vote, the clearer it will be that it was not his program that we supported. He won only 24% of the vote in the first round, and much of his support was due to tactical voting (only around 15% voted for him out of conviction). The higher his score, the stronger the statement that it was not his program that won but the extreme right that was rejected. We must not allow Macron to believe that he became the last bulwark against the FN because of his ideas or personal qualities.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That's actually a pretty good point. Nobody thinks 82% of France actually wanted Chirac's policies, after all.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

fishmech posted:

While I was never saying that, why do you believe liberal policies have been in existence for centuries if nobody "really" wants them? I think you're falling into the fallacy of "everyone's a secret opponent to liberalism" when everything else shows that most people don't pay attention and of those that do there are certainly plenty who think "liberalism" is the correct way to do things, just as others think any other political orientation is the correct way to do things.

And uh yeah, the very existence of a "decade of abundance and plenty" is going to lead to people favorable to the policies that were in place then. Why would it make those who don't pay much attention oppose such policies, at any rate?

I understand what you're saying, but I think it's unnecessarily generous towards liberalism to say that people who enjoyed liberalism's fruits are also ideologically in support of liberalism. I'm not going to disagree that, yes, there are a lot of people who support economic liberalism as an ideology. It would be naïve to do otherwise. But I think it's also naïve to attribute votes towards centrist liberal parties to ideological support as well.

I suppose I should specify my usage of the terminology, if someone gets a payrise, or a well-paying job, or is able to open a business, and thinks to themselves "that's liberalism, I am a liberal", without associating liberalism with things like deregulation, or a reduction of labour rights, that is not ideological support, even if they personally identify with that political space.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

vyelkin posted:

That's actually a pretty good point. Nobody thinks 82% of France actually wanted Chirac's policies, after all.
Chirac certainly did (or at least acted like he wasn't the luckiest motherfucker on earth), after people inevitably voted UMP at the following election (because cohabitation and balance of power is bad don't you know!). If Macron is elected, i will be surrounded by people believing they HAVE TO vote for an em mp because tv told them to (well maybe not the UMP). Or at least give enough vote that the anti FN front force the EM victory. Also if you wonder why Melenchon is not supporting Macron openly it's because all that legislative election poo poo started.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 29, 2017

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Yet that's what remains in the end. People remember that Chirac won by a landslide. Will be the same for Macron. If he wins by a big margin they'll use this to consider all his future austerity moves are popular and desired.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Of course, a country so successful that it completely abolished itself at the very first chance it got.

What meager material wealth the GDR managed to scrape together was bought with an enormous debt crisis. By the 80s, its economy(like the Soviet one) was incredibly inefficient, corrupt, dysfunctional and unsustainable and collapsed like a wet sack of poo poo as a result.

I'm not even gonna go into the political and cultural aspect of it. It's a gigantic loving insult to everyone who had to live through all the oppression, torture and misery to just say "well, at least we had useless, barely paid jobs and if you kept your head down you got to drink coffee once a year. beats being black in the US. :downs:"

a black person, right now, would prefer living in the GDR tho

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Speaking as a black dude, no they wouldn't.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

that number of people is probably in the single digit range

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

YF-23 posted:

I understand what you're saying, but I think it's unnecessarily generous towards liberalism to say that people who enjoyed liberalism's fruits are also ideologically in support of liberalism. I'm not going to disagree that, yes, there are a lot of people who support economic liberalism as an ideology. It would be naïve to do otherwise. But I think it's also naïve to attribute votes towards centrist liberal parties to ideological support as well.

I suppose I should specify my usage of the terminology, if someone gets a payrise, or a well-paying job, or is able to open a business, and thinks to themselves "that's liberalism, I am a liberal", without associating liberalism with things like deregulation, or a reduction of labour rights, that is not ideological support, even if they personally identify with that political space.

If you don't think there's plenty of people who actively support deregulation, reducing labor rights etc because they think they're not necessary, well. I congratulate you on your optimistic view of people, but warn you you're missing that a lot of people think those are pointless restrictions which they don't need because they did everything on their own because they're not lazy.

They are wrong of course, but they still believe it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Clearly, we can trust the official GDR data on there being basically no attacks on non-Germans during the glorious reign of socialism. The noticeably higher incidence of race motivated crimes in the former GDR states when compared to Germany is probably just an aftereffect of capitalism bringing ruin to the glorious GDR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, I doubt most Westerns would prefer to live in the GDR (there was always a disparity of living standards), that said significant percentage of modern-day Russians would rather live in the Soviet Union and they might have a point.

Also, yeah Eastern Germany also experienced its own form of shock therapy during the 1990s...so there might be something to that.