Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Good, I'm in no hurry to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Good, I'm in no hurry to get it.

Same. I hope it never comes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Apparently I'm the only one who likes it?

I have no idea why it's taking Huawei so long to get a release version out, the beta works great so they should have had the easiest time of all.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

so there's another small incremental update for the Zenwatch 3 that just landed (MGW68). There were reports that the one previous to this had improved performance for some people, but I saw no gain then. it was a choppy turd. However, the newest MGW68 has been going for a couple days now and i've not seen it bog down. So, that's nice.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

wolrah posted:

Apparently I'm the only one who likes it?

I have no idea why it's taking Huawei so long to get a release version out, the beta works great so they should have had the easiest time of all.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/30/android-wear-bug/

quote:

We have started rolling out the Android Wear 2.0 update to Fossil Q Founder, Casio Smart Outdoor Watch WSD-F10 and Tag Heuer Connected. For other devices, the update is currently being delayed due to a bug found in final testing. We will push the update to the remaining devices as soon as the issue is resolved.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Soooo with all the new features smartwatches get, how long until someone makes a featurephone running android wear? I would unironically be interested :v:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Lol my gear s3 is so good. Just bite the bullet ya'll. They just added my fitness pal support too :D

So good at being Samsung'd https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/samsung-tizen-operating-system-bugs-vulnerabilities

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

"It may be the worst code I've ever seen."

Yep, Samsung story checks out.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Remember Enlightenment? The Linux window manager from the 1990s that had a million obscenely ugly themes?

The Tizen UI toolkit is built on top of Enlightenment. No joke.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

That's true but the creator of Enlightenment has a short attention span so it has been rewritten from scratch about 5,000 times.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

What's so bad about 2.0? Seems ok to me, I like the new scrolling system.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
http://ausdroid.net/2017/04/07/huawei-confirms-original-huawei-watch-nfc-android-pay-tested/

If this is true, it means I'll be happy to keep my Huawei watch for the forseeable future. I don't need LTE, but this would be excellent.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

H2Eau posted:

http://ausdroid.net/2017/04/07/huawei-confirms-original-huawei-watch-nfc-android-pay-tested/

If this is true, it means I'll be happy to keep my Huawei watch for the forseeable future. I don't need LTE, but this would be excellent.

Probably not, Android Pay on Wear isn't like it is on your phone where it automatically works all the time, you have to manually pull it up and apparently that is difficult if you don't have a shortcut button and the Huawei doesn't have a shortcut button.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Turns out it isn't true anyways.

http://www.androidcentral.com/huawei-watch-nfc-nope

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Verizon added a store page for the Wear24:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/connected-devices/verizon-wear24/

Launches May 11 in Stainless Steel, Gunmetal Black, and Rose Gold.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look at these scrubs not even putting the launch date on the face.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Brought out my old Urbane to see how android wear 2.0 handles on it.

Pretty ok. UI is buttery smooth most of the time, but slow load times and mini-freezes are pretty common.

More importantly, notification readability issues I had with the LG Style are not there. Notifications are full screen and have lots of content, so overall it's pretty good.

Battery life so far today (first day with it at work) seems to be about the same as it always got.

I'm looking forward to see how it runs on the Zenwatch3.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Nerdrock posted:

UI is buttery smooth most of the time, but slow load times and mini-freezes are pretty common.

Well which one is it? Buttery smooth or does it have frequent freezing and slow load times?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Well which one is it? Buttery smooth or does it have frequent freezing and slow load times?

It's like every Android: Smooth except those times when it isn't.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Variable_H posted:

it's what I said it is. Compared to the Zenwatch 3, which is choppy and lovely %90 percent of the time, the watch is buttery smooth.

example : it might take it half a second longer to load the list of apps.. but once it's loaded, it scrolls nicely. currently on the ZW3, it may load the list half a second faster, but it's choppy and stutters. Same with apps like hangouts. longer loads, takes longer to load a conversation thread if you launch the app. might freeze up every now and then during the loading of said thread.. but once it gets its poo poo together and gets the thread loaded... it's smooth.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I don't really follow this stuff, are these watches generally dual-core or is that being optimistic

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I don't really follow this stuff, are these watches generally dual-core or is that being optimistic

According to Qualcomm they're quad core.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Here's a fun one. I have two google accounts on my phone that were automatically copied to the watch when setting it up after the AW2.0 upgrade. So far so good. You can set the "default" account somewhat unintuitively through the on-watch play store. Fine.

Google assistant on the watch completely ignores that setting and just uses whichever account is first in the list. It took me forever to figure out why it was always sending messages from the wrong account when I'd try to send one via the assistant.

The only fix I know of is to remove accounts until the one you actually want to be default is first, then re-add the others.

Good job, Google.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is that all of them or just the newest ones? I'm just wondering if the extreme jank is down to hardware that can't multitask too good

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Is that all of them or just the newest ones? I'm just wondering if the extreme jank is down to hardware that can't multitask too good

Pretty much everything now is the SD2100 and everything from the generation before (Moto 360/2, Huawatch) is the dual core SD400.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

Pretty much everything now is the SD2100 and everything from the generation before (Moto 360/2, Huawatch) is the dual core SD400.

Hwatch and Moto 360 Gen2 are both quad core SD400.

I find it pretty funny that my watch has more and faster CPU cores than my first three computers combined. More RAM too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

Hwatch and Moto 360 Gen2 are both quad core SD400.

That's what I get for Googling "snapdragon 400" and getting the snippet "Snapdragon 400 Mobile Processor with Dual-Core CPUs". Clicking through, that sentence continues "...or Quad-core CPUs" :negative:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

IIRC most of the SD400 implementations in wear had two cores always disabled. So, the hardware may report 4 cores, but it's possible two are throttled down all the time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

IIRC most of the SD400 implementations in wear had two cores always disabled. So, the hardware may report 4 cores, but it's possible two are throttled down all the time.

That does appear like it may be the case, when I have AIDA64 open while requesting a bug report I see CPU usage hit 80% while cores 1+2 sit at 787 MHz and cores 3+4 are marked "sleeping".

I don't really know what else to try to cause CPU load while I can still see real-time stats,.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This made me wonder why then manufacturers used the 4 core over the 2 core and the reason is because the dual cores are Krait 300s and the quad cores are Cortex A7s which apparently are more efficient. Huh.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I managed to get it to hold 100% CPU usage for about 20 seconds by having it update some apps while streaming music. It didn't budge an inch, two cores at 787 and two cores idle. At one point the music actually skipped, so it was definitely maxing out the system.

That's somewhat annoying. I can totally understand aggressive power management trying its hardest to keep two cores asleep, but once you're maxed out at a lower power state doesn't the "race to sleep" logic usually apply?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't forget there are thermal considerations as well. The last thing you want is a watch getting uncomfortably warm.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Space is so tight in smartwatches that they can't fit enough battery, there are several design decisions that may seem stupid but were no doubt done to avoid power draw going above some line.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

quote:

The long wait for Android Wear 2.0 to land on some of the most popular smartwatches released in the past few years appears to be finally coming to an end. After Google delaying the update at the eleventh hour, Google has provided a new timeline for when owners of those devices can expect to see Wear 2.0 arrive.

In a recently published Android Wear 2.0 FAQ, Android Wear support forums community manager Ernest says Wear smartwatch users can expect Android Wear to come to those smartwatches sometime either at the end of this month or towards late May.

Many of the devices included in the list are some of the most popular Android Wear smartwatches, including the Moto 360, Huawei Watch and Asus ZenWatch 3. Unfortunately, Google did not provide a more specific start time for the rollout.

The full list can be shown below:

Moto 360 Gen 2
Moto 360 Sport
LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition LTE
Huawei Watch
Huawei Watch Ladies
Asus ZenWatch 2
Asus ZenWatch 3

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/04/20/moto-360-gen-2-huawei-watch-asus-zenwatch-3-android-wear-2-0-april-late-may/

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I'm honestly in no rush to get AW 2.0 on my 360/2. I'm not one of those people who want to actively avoid it either; just that my 360/2 does pretty much everything I want already and the battery is still great so it won't kill me.

Sure wish Moto would hurry up and push 7.0 to my Moto X Pure though!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I noticed recently that when I start navigation on my phone, I no longer get the card on my watch (Moto 360/2). I can start Maps on my watch and it'll sync up with the phone's navigation though. Did I toggle something somewhere?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
AW2.0 finally rolling out to HWatch.

For watches already on DP4/5 it's apparently here: https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/huawei_sturgeon_sturgeon/cc4871176d447fec637ca92a364e4d4553c9bf4a.zip
and for those still on the old version it's here: https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota-api/huawei_sturgeon_sturgeon/ee44a144cfa1319430608b5322b7d359c3e4bbf6.zip

I and many others on Reddit have had luck just hitting the update screen multiple times. It took me three tries on my watch from the dev preview build to get it to show me the OTA without any sideloading.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It worked for me too. Seems snappier than before. I like it so far.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm hoping someone who understands Android internals better than I do can tear down this versus the DP build and figure out what exactly this mystery bug that they took weeks to figure out actually was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

wolrah posted:

I'm hoping someone who understands Android internals better than I do can tear down this versus the DP build and figure out what exactly this mystery bug that they took weeks to figure out actually was.

It's possible that the bug was fixed fairly quickly, but it had to go through all the certification and QA processes again.