Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Haha yeah it's definitely the best way to stop for sure, I like combining it with the scoop turn right after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I can't believe I've gone like over a year without knowing this. Remember when you could just press lb in all the older fifas..... no touch dribbling sucks.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah haha

The only good no touch dribbling does is like sometimes you can use it to get a weird speed boost but it doesn't work all the time

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Seltzer posted:

I could write a mini guide on some general tips with regards to winning the qualifying tournament if you like. I don't know what div I am this year since I don't play divs but I've qualified every week I wanted to except this one where I just was too frustrated to try again.

Yeah, I'd appreciate it. I usually smoke the first two opponents then lose the third in frustrating, smothered fashion.

Seltzer posted:

Draft was a smart gimmick for fifa 16 but yeah now that the newness has worn off the payout needs to be changed. Idk they don't have a 5k draft and a 15k draft and just scale rewards down accordingly. The price is too prohibitive imo. 89 Villa and IF Martinez are such a lethal combo I can't wait until MLS tots to get a non wasteman CM to link to martinez.

I don't have the luxury of 89 villa up top but I really like SBC Gio/82 Dempsey as CFs in the CAM spots in a 4-2-3-1. Kaka not so much.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Well I just went 0-2 because my connection to the EA servers dropped twice. Anybody else having issues playing WL right now?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I haven't ever gotten DC'd from servers but I did have a guy get DC'ed against me once so I guess it's been happening

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Stefan Prodan posted:

I haven't ever gotten DC'd from servers but I did have a guy get DC'ed against me once so I guess it's been happening

Turns out I just needed to reset my router but I only thought of trying that after going 3-6 :ughh:

Got 2 back after that. Turns out playing with lag sharpens your reactions quite a bit.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Haha yeah I do tend to do way better without lag but it's crazy how you just like can't do anything if you get the kind of packet loss where the action timer is just completely random within a certain window, like where you just have no idea when things will happen

This game is sooooo hard to play if it's laggy

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm like 2.5 wins to 1 loss guaranteed with no lag. That drops to about .75 with significant lag in WL. I have no idea if my opponent is not experiencing the same and I'm getting screwed or if they're just really really good at playing in lag. The speed up lag is just stupid too lately. 3 weeks ago it happened once every 20 games now it happens at least once every game for

E- I'd wager those poty cards just released will be higher than tots

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The funniest thing was when I first got my PS4 pro and I turned on boost mode and the game would like freeze for a few seconds then play it all out really quickly in fast motion like The Munsters or something. It happened while playing parmos too so I just sounded insane trying to explain it but luckily I figured out what it was pretty fast

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

I'm like 2.5 wins to 1 loss guaranteed with no lag. That drops to about .75 with significant lag in WL. I have no idea if my opponent is not experiencing the same and I'm getting screwed or if they're just really really good at playing in lag. The speed up lag is just stupid too lately. 3 weeks ago it happened once every 20 games now it happens at least once every game for

E- I'd wager those poty cards just released will be higher than tots

The POTY cards are soooo expensive, like that Kante is 100% gonna be the best midfield card in the game period but its like 1.5 million or so so only people with a huge amount of money can afford it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

So I can afford big Ron. Debating taking the plunge. Any wagers on what his price will do. I can't see it dropping that much more since this crash.

Ronaldo didn't drop at all after this point in the game last year according to this graph - https://www.futbin.com/16/player/4539/Ronaldo/
He didn't spike out either.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 26, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I put my poo poo in FUTbin and yeah if I sold my entire team I could afford him but doesn't really seem worth it

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I would have Ronaldo +800k. I have the 900k for ronaldo right now but the other 800k are in cards I don't use much and are sitting in my club waiting to be sold.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I didn't do any trading, I just have what I got from weekend league and stuff so my total club is like 1.2 mil maybe which is around what he is on PS4

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I didn't do any trading, I just have what I got from weekend league and stuff so my total club is like 1.2 mil maybe which is around what he is on PS4

I didn't really trade, I just packed good poo poo and sold at smart times. My obsession with garbage players and in forms meant I've been flipping 10k cards for 20k+ throughout the year. The only really trading I've done is super obvious stuff. Buying informs when huge pack releases are out to play with and sell later or just buying undervalued high cards. I bought 12 86 rated Bas Dost for 12k the other week and then sold them all for 25 k this week. It takes like 5 minutes.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I honestly don't know enough about the market or when stuff is high or low nowadays to even do that

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Yeah, I'd appreciate it. I usually smoke the first two opponents then lose the third in frustrating, smothered fashion.

I realized that my tournament guide would be more common sense/my own experience than anything groundbreaking but I guess I'll do a little write up anyway. The most obvious aspect when it comes to tournaments or fifa in general is to not get stressed by giving up a goal, being in a final, or seeing a super team. Just have the mentality that it's just another game and you're going to win. It sounds easy and simplistic but I constantly see people implode after conceding a crap goal early in tournament finals or they play uncharacteristically ultra defensive vs good teams or too aggressive against "bad teams". Always play your normal game and only make slight tweaks that you're comfortable with. I swear a good mentality is half the battle.

The biggest reason I think I'm so successful specifically in tournaments aside from being calm is that I use a poo poo load of teams. I use all levels of players, all different types of formations, different leagues, different playstyles etc. The average fut player has 1 or 2 teams that they use every weekend and they usually play one formation with the same instructions. While that's great for consistency it's horrible as soon as any little obstacle is thrown in their way. Therefore I specifically target the qualifying tournaments with restrictions as it puts me at an advantage and my opponents at a disadvantage. For instance in the silver qualifier I saw people with super silver teams playing like absolute poo poo because they didn't know their players strengths and they were expecting their players to be like the superman golds they're used to. So many terrible passes, overly aggressive defending, and hilarious longshot attempts all of which should've never been attempted (you could tell they don't ever play with silver teams). Even when the restrictions aren't that crazy (french and italian only or something like that) just the mere fact of taking away the players that these people have used for ages throws them off their game. Since I rotate through so many players, I generally understand how a player will feel by looking at their stats and traits and I can get used to them within a game or so. Using different play styles and formations also easily allows me to use the best team for any given restriction instead of having to shoehorn worse players to fit one static style.

Now that second bit of advice is a bit specific and if you don't switch your teams up you might be out of luck, but my last point would be that you need to be smart about building teams for restrictions. I see plenty of people with more coins than they know what to do with routinely make awful choices when building restricted squads. The first bit of advice is scummy but we're here to win- If there is a maximum team rating/star rating put absolute trash on your bench to be able to field a strong team. It may feel lovely but if you want to win you should do it and recognize 75% of people in the final will be doing the same. Here's the squad I'm using for the maximum 82 rated team (all gold starters and bench) tournament right now.

I have all trash 75s on the bench and Birthday Villa as a supersub. You'll notice that I have quite a few lower rated players in the starting 11 to allow for the super stars. The thing is all the lower rated players I've chosen are op or at the very least extremely reliable. with the 3.5 star tournament they had recently where you could have only 8 golds and silver players at minimum I filled the bench with 65 rated players and strategically picked what silvers would be in my starting 11. I put in pacey silver fullbacks and a quick CM with decent defense to just win the ball and dump it back off. Importantly, I didn't touch my goal scorers or goal stoppers (Your St, CBs, and GK are always your most indespensable players). I don't always underrate my teams with a poo poo bench (in fact I only do it for qualifiers) but I sure as heck do when the rules allow. I win the no limit qualifiers a lot too but that's pretty straight forward.

tldr- just play your normal style consistently and build smart teams. If you have any questions about building squads for certain tournaments I can always help.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Man I just figured out this week that if you play the daily knockout tournaments, you can get games all the time and they're lag free because they run on the fuckin weekend league servers!

I'm only doing this from now on, I had no idea before and I was just playin online seasons like a schmuck. Now I just play the knockouts and if I get to the final I just score on my own net until I'm losing then quit so the guy can get a free entry or whatever.

This is way better than playing laggy saudis after trying to get a match for 10 minutes.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I used the squad I posted in 3 of my 4 qualifying games. Won the whole thing and Ronaldo bagged eight goals in three games with two rage quits including the final. Ronaldo is unreal and the best coins I've spent this fifa. He makes 92 Lewadowski look average, the card is a joke and much better than the previous years ronaldos that I've used. I wish I would've got him sooner but wow. Only SBC El sha comes close to him in my club when it comes to attacking players.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I'm thinking of doing the Bundesliga SBC to get Lewa and then building a squad around him. I was just wondering if chemistry affects the subs that you bring on because I was thinking of sticking my BPL squad on the bench for fitness.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZLaDM-mEFo

I love Perisic.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Elliptical Dick posted:

I'm thinking of doing the Bundesliga SBC to get Lewa and then building a squad around him. I was just wondering if chemistry affects the subs that you bring on because I was thinking of sticking my BPL squad on the bench for fitness.

Have you had a chance to play with Lewa before? I was pretty disappointed

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I appreciate the writeup. My game has drastically fallen off in recent days so I'll have to fix that first lol

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Elliptical Dick posted:

Individual chemistry links do not matter when you sub players on but team chemistry does (and also position), sub chemistry is capped at 7 though even if your team chemistry in 100 and you sub them into the right position.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Have you had a chance to play with Lewa before? I was pretty disappointed

No I haven't. Why were you disappointed? The card looks really good at first glance.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

He's very good but most people are conditioned to 90 pace strikers at this point (no judgement just a fact) so he can take a bit of adjusting to at first.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've had fun with him so far, since crossing is kinda gimped you have to use his physicality and heading accuracy in ways you might not be normally accustomed to, like he opens up very high % lobs from the fullbacks to him and things like that, where other strikers might get muscled off while it's in the air

But yeah you definitely have to get used to his low pace and lack of 4* skills

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Elliptical Dick posted:

No I haven't. Why were you disappointed? The card looks really good at first glance.

He didn't play up to his stats in a few setups I tried. NIF Modeste outperformed him by double.

I had the same thing with De Bruyne vs Eriksen though so ymmv

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
For me he's had more goals per game than Modeste or Aubameyang did so I dunno

The 4* weak foot helps a lot in my opinion, he also just scores some crazy driven shots with having so much shot power and finishing

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I score a lot of headers with him relative to other forwards and his close ball control, passing, and physicality means he brings 90 Thiago and the wingers into play constantly to score themselves.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Look I'm not asking for this game to give cards or penalties for handballs but could they at least program it so animations like this don't happen

ffs. To be fair the end of that clip ends with a Lewandowski header but it's still frustrating, especially how often shots are deflected this year.

Also not mine, but this penalty needs to be seen.
https://streamable.com/u5em2

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Haha

I have to leave late tomorrow so I blitzed through most of my games today, ended at 19-13 planning to do the rest tomorrow

Probably just gonna get 22-24 again, lol

I am never gonna fuckin break through to 30 again I guess, I do wish I felt like I was improving though, which I do during the week when I'm practicing then the weekend comes and I'm just hangin up 22-24 as usual

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm off to a very average start. 6-3 or so. I really can't stress enough how much my play drops during lag/imput delay. The weekly tournament gameplay to WL gameplay feels like night and day. He anyone had any success messing with their internet/settings? I heard wiring a modem directly to the console helps a lot but I'm suspicious because my console is already super close to the modem and plays other games fine. I think I read about someone configuring their xbox to only connect to American Ips which sounds awesome tbh, but I could be misremembering.

Also all the most consistent tots have been decided. Here's someones mock up of the gold (with assumed stats that definitely look low. Pazzini is definitely getting more than 77 shooting on a striker tots for instance)

My Portuguese 433(4) is going to be so good and cheap. Martins and Bruma will pop up in league tots as well.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm pretty terrible at this game and have only started playing regularly in the past month. Could use some advice on min/max'ing my FUT squad if anyone's feeling generous with their time to do some analysis and make some suggestions.

I started off with this squad, which was pretty much built around packing a birthday Esswein:
First squad

Since then I've realized that crossing and wide play isn't working out for me and I'd be better off with a narrower squad. Since I'd already bought a few Bundesliga cards to round out the first squad, I decided to try a 4-1-2-1-2 (2) GER1 squad. This is what I currently have:
New squad

Yesterday I packed IF Balde Diao and NIF Iniesta and if I sell them both off (and add in my existing coins), I should have about 150-200k coins to spend on upgrades and improvements.

So...suggestions? I'll take anything: players to add, players to ditch, even suggestions on different formations or tactical suggestions are appreciated.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

oooof what a goal

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Lawen posted:

So...suggestions? I'll take anything: players to add, players to ditch, even suggestions on different formations or tactical suggestions are appreciated.

five at the backs suck unless you really like playing excruciatingly boring football and are good at counter attacks. Even then I only would use a 5212. The 41212(2) is a very good choice this year. As for your team, Kuba is very good but not on 2 chem like you have him. He's taking a sizable hit to his stats like that. Muller is high rated but by all accounts is poo poo in game. An excellent striker pairing for me was IF Werner and IF Gnabry. Werner has been much better for me than Esswein and Gnabry is a bit weaker, but he makes up for it with skills, dribbling and passing. They are a great budget combo imo. Your CMs are super unbalanced and have no defending and your CDM has high high workrates which while ok in some schemes I personally don't like. For CMs look into Castro/ renato/ Goretzka for budget options. Thiago + IF Junuzovic for more high end options. AS for CAMs, honestly Draxler is top notch. 5* wf means all his passes and shots will be placed correctly and trust me he can shoot. Only after packing 90 thiago did Draxler get benched in my squad, he's that good. At CDM I'd personally run 83 Gustavo but that's up to preference. Your backline is incredibly slow. Lahm just doesn't cut it this year. Pizcek isnt a rocket but he'd sort you out much better. Toprak and sokratis would do a much better job for you despite the lower ratings. I also play wendell at lb for the pace to contain wingers.

I know I basically tore apart your whole squad but take a look
https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/3488625

Same price as your current squad and I guarantee you you'll have more success. You can use that as a template and just plop in whatever players better suit you and or more expensive/better players like Vidal boateng etc.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks, this is great info. I'm still very much in the "higher numbers must be better" mindset so you've given me a bunch of stuff to dig deeper into.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Seltzer posted:

I'm off to a very average start. 6-3 or so. I really can't stress enough how much my play drops during lag/imput delay. The weekly tournament gameplay to WL gameplay feels like night and day. He anyone had any success messing with their internet/settings? I heard wiring a modem directly to the console helps a lot but I'm suspicious because my console is already super close to the modem and plays other games fine. I think I read about someone configuring their xbox to only connect to American Ips which sounds awesome tbh, but I could be misremembering.

Also all the most consistent tots have been decided. Here's someones mock up of the gold (with assumed stats that definitely look low. Pazzini is definitely getting more than 77 shooting on a striker tots for instance)

My Portuguese 433(4) is going to be so good and cheap. Martins and Bruma will pop up in league tots as well.

that glushakov :getin:

he has been phenominal for spartak, including this screamer https://youtu.be/pJ_bQgX-R20

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Some dude in weekend league just parked the bus and held the ball for the last 20 minutes of the game (like literally held it, shielding it in the corner) then messaged me to say "Loserr"

He was up two goals

How pathetic can you get, lol

• Locked thread