Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Ok, so a couple days ago I got the wrong size forma adventure boots and exchanged them for what should be the right size according to their chart. I wear a US 15 normally, at least what new balance, clarks, and timberland pro calls a 15.

Forma says their 49 is a 15, but it's more like a 14, and kinda painful for my toes. But I can get them on. Are there any decent options in one size larger that offer similar protection?

I am considering just keeping them and dealing with the pain and toenail infections because I can't find anything bigger that's actually more protective than a pair of work boots. But $300 is a lot for something this uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Looking to replace my cheap Bilt gloves with something more protective and durable, hopefully without breaking the bank. Would be for street riding in central CA. Gets hot here in the summer but I tend to ride up into higher elevations. Probably gauntlet style for max protection and keeping the wind out of my sleeves when it gets gusty. Suggestions?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

mentalcontempt posted:

Looking to replace my cheap Bilt gloves with something more protective and durable, hopefully without breaking the bank. Would be for street riding in central CA. Gets hot here in the summer but I tend to ride up into higher elevations. Probably gauntlet style for max protection and keeping the wind out of my sleeves when it gets gusty. Suggestions?

What's your budget? I just ordered a pair of Held Airstream IIs for summer riding ($175). They're a ventilated 3/4 gauntlet. Will let you know how they work once UPS gets them here from Philly.

If you're not looking for perforated/max breathability, I was pretty impressed with the Oxford RP-1s I tried on a couple of weeks ago. It's a full gauntlet race style glove, but would be hard to beat for the price at $110.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mentalcontempt posted:

Alpinestars SP2

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

rdb posted:

Ok, so a couple days ago I got the wrong size forma adventure boots and exchanged them for what should be the right size according to their chart. I wear a US 15 normally, at least what new balance, clarks, and timberland pro calls a 15.

Forma says their 49 is a 15, but it's more like a 14, and kinda painful for my toes. But I can get them on. Are there any decent options in one size larger that offer similar protection?

I am considering just keeping them and dealing with the pain and toenail infections because I can't find anything bigger that's actually more protective than a pair of work boots. But $300 is a lot for something this uncomfortable.

I have the same problem and kind of just sucked it up. The only other pair of boots I tried were the sidi cobra and while the foot felt fine the rest didn't. It sounds like the toe box is is bothering you more than it does me though. I honestly don't wear my boots that often either so I'm not always bothered by it. I wonder if it's possible to get something to shove in the boot to stretch the leather? Is that even a thing?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
That's been my problem, I normally just wear whatever shoes/sneakers I can slip into because boots are uncomfortable. Even my big pair of timberland pros with steel toes and metatarsal guards are more comfortable than the Formas, but they offer no real ankle protection.

I don't think I can stretch these. I have been wearing them around the house the last 3 hours and they are ok at best while sitting but kinda hurt to walk in. I'm afraid that's the best I can do.

I did find out that there's plastic surgery available to shorten your feet. If only I could wave a wand and make myself 4" shorter, 100lbs lighter and take my feet from a size 15 to a loose 12. Shopping for clothes/shoes/bikes/cars and sitting on regional jets would be so much nicer. Also no more hitting my head on door frames. You know the deal.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jazzzzz posted:

What's your budget? I just ordered a pair of Held Airstream IIs for summer riding ($175). They're a ventilated 3/4 gauntlet. Will let you know how they work once UPS gets them here from Philly.

The airstream 2s, and held gloves in general, are great. Super comfortable and they've got tons of options depending on how much protection you want.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

I wonder if it's possible to get something to shove in the boot to stretch the leather? Is that even a thing?

https://www.amazon.com/Shoekeeper-Wooden-Stretcher-Stretch-Spray/dp/B00YT5PF66

Those work on regular leather shoes and boots, but they might not do much for riding boots since they have a reinforced toe

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Thanks for the glove recs, I will check them out.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
The SP-1 is actually superior to the SP-2. The SP-2 doesn't have a wrist strap, which makes it almost on equal footing with a shorty glove as far as I'm concerned. The SP-1 has a wrist strap. Why does the more expensive glove have worse protective features? gently caress if I know.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If all the wrist strap does is keep them on your hands, then I don't need one. There's no way mine are coming off, I've tried.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

rdb posted:

That's been my problem, I normally just wear whatever shoes/sneakers I can slip into because boots are uncomfortable. Even my big pair of timberland pros with steel toes and metatarsal guards are more comfortable than the Formas, but they offer no real ankle protection.

I don't think I can stretch these. I have been wearing them around the house the last 3 hours and they are ok at best while sitting but kinda hurt to walk in. I'm afraid that's the best I can do.

I did find out that there's plastic surgery available to shorten your feet. If only I could wave a wand and make myself 4" shorter, 100lbs lighter and take my feet from a size 15 to a loose 12. Shopping for clothes/shoes/bikes/cars and sitting on regional jets would be so much nicer. Also no more hitting my head on door frames. You know the deal.

I think your life will be better if you save up and get custom boots. I know there's a U.K. Outfit that does it and maybe one in Canada? It's quite expensive but on the other hand, wearing boots that fit is worth a lot and they should be good for many many years.

E: also worth it to give the guy at atomic-moto a call 541 - 728 - 0690. They ship and Brian is ridiculously nice and helpful, even if it's steering you to someone else.

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 29, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Atomic moto seems like they know what they are selling. It's the only website I have seen that says the Forma adventures in size 49 EU are actually 13.75 US. Even formas own website says they are 15. I will try to call Monday when they open. They list a Sidi and a couple Alpine stars in 15/16.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Astars SMX-2 boot review: Stands up to the toughest of conditions. 10/10 would recommend

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Motegi 2 2-piece. Sucker is heavy, but the fit seems good. I can move the knee pads around to taste, too. Should last me quite a few years.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Your room looks like a dishrag

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Show us the full dainese SpaceLord utfit :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Yo room look like a dishrag

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ilkhan posted:

Motegi 2 2-piece. Sucker is heavy, but the fit seems good. I can move the knee pads around to taste, too. Should last me quite a few years.

You're supposed to wear your helmet in these pictures.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I like the curtain door tho

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I had a curtain door once. Being 23 and living by myself was a grand time.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The room is my girlfriend's, the helmet was at home. Sorry. :) I'll post a full power ranger getup when the boots and gloves arrive this week.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ilkhan posted:

The room is my girlfriend's, the helmet was at home. Sorry. :) I'll post a full power ranger getup when the boots and gloves arrive this week.

ATGATT, dork.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I want to get a hot weather jacket for commuting. Max air and all that without sacrificing a lot of protection. Awesome colors are a plus. I was thinking https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-super-speed-textile-jacket.

Also I am wondering about how good my current summer pants are. I have these https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-rainsun-pants. They don't have any rear end/thigh padding. Should this cause me concern?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

builds character posted:

I think your life will be better if you save up and get custom boots. I know there's a U.K. Outfit that does it and maybe one in Canada? It's quite expensive but on the other hand, wearing boots that fit is worth a lot and they should be good for many many years.

E: also worth it to give the guy at atomic-moto a call 541 - 728 - 0690. They ship and Brian is ridiculously nice and helpful, even if it's steering you to someone else.

I called them, talked to Brian. Wound up ordering a pair of Sidi crossfire 2s. His other suggestion was Sidi adventure waterproof. Went with the crossfire 2 because they are a bit wider.

Here's to hoping they work because $520 is nearly as much as the rest of my gear combined.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
if you bought the SRS ones they are NOT waterproof. otherwise, they're a good boot.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I've got a pair of Crossfire 2s, and they may not technically be waterproof but they're drat near close. I've worn them through some fairly decent downpours and come out with dry feet.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

pokie posted:

I want to get a hot weather jacket for commuting. Max air and all that without sacrificing a lot of protection. Awesome colors are a plus. I was thinking https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-super-speed-textile-jacket.
This is the new version of what is unquestionably my favorite summer jacket on the market: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-super-rider-d-dry-jacket

It has leather in all of the flex areas so it feels like a full leather jacket and doesn't bunch or pull like textile (one of my main gripes with textile). Tutu leather (dainese's highest quality leather) and high denier textile in impact areas, loose weave mesh in airflow areas. There are very few Dainese products I actually like, but this ranks as one of my favorite pieces of gear from any manufacturer.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

-Inu- posted:

This is the new version of what is unquestionably my favorite summer jacket on the market: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-super-rider-d-dry-jacket

It has leather in all of the flex areas so it feels like a full leather jacket and doesn't bunch or pull like textile (one of my main gripes with textile). Tutu leather (dainese's highest quality leather) and high denier textile in impact areas, loose weave mesh in airflow areas. There are very few Dainese products I actually like, but this ranks as one of my favorite pieces of gear from any manufacturer.

Cool, I will try it out at the Dainese store next time I am in SF. Any thoughts on those pants I linked?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
"Tutu" leather. Silly Italians and their silly names for things.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

pokie posted:

Cool, I will try it out at the Dainese store next time I am in SF. Any thoughts on those pants I linked?
Hip and coxal protection is always nice to have, but I personally wouldn't replace a nice pair of pants like those just to get that armor. I'm not sure if you use those pants as overpants or not, but a pair of armored shorts would be the best solution. It's nice to have a pair anyway if you do other outdoorsy activities, they're super versatile.

its all nice on rice posted:

As you mention this, I just remembered that D-Skin is their top tier leather now. Tutu is 2nd best. HOW COULD I MAKE SUCH A MISTAKE?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I was actually wondering about armored shorts, my pants don't have any hip armor. How is the fit on them? Is it generally for more slim people? I'm a big dude. Iirc the last time I looked at them a review said even the largest size was pretty small, don't remember the brand.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

-Inu- posted:

Hip and coxal protection is always nice to have, but I personally wouldn't replace a nice pair of pants like those just to get that armor. I'm not sure if you use those pants as overpants or not, but a pair of armored shorts would be the best solution. It's nice to have a pair anyway if you do other outdoorsy activities, they're super versatile.

I wear them over a pair of light shorts to maximize air flow and ease of use after I arrive at the office. I feel like riding shorts wouldn't help with that last point. I guess I just wouldn't sweat it. Thanks!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

-Inu- posted:

As you mention this, I just remembered that D-Skin is their top tier leather now. Tutu is 2nd best. HOW COULD I MAKE SUCH A MISTAKE?

Do they use D-skin on the crotch area or does tutu suffice for that?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

-Inu- posted:

Ahh, too bad they don't have anything in Size 60; I need a new summer jacket.

Dainese also has the "D-Stormer" pants which sounds like a white nationalist website.

Also, do any manufacturers offer tall sizes these days? I have a long torso.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

MoraleHazard posted:

Dainese also has the "D-Stormer" pants which sounds like a white nationalist website.

Really? To me "D-Stormer" sounds like your mother's sorority name more than anything

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

MoraleHazard posted:

First Gear. I think Cortech (Tourmaster) does too. Joe rocket should

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

First Gear. I think Cortech (Tourmaster) does too. Joe rocket should

I too enjoy long torso-ness. Joe rocket has some great stuff for me. I'm considering a different back protector though for my Sonic 2.0, since the one it came with is super flimsy. Elbows and shoulders are awesome though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Friend sent me this thing https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/brakefree-the-smart-brake-light-for-motorcyclists-motorcycle

Remote brake light for your helmet, driven by accelerometers etc. Reminded me of the guys who were trying to do the same thing with replacing the normal brake light with some gyro/accelerometer driven thing and I'm like just tap the brake pedal, dummies, it's free.

You could probably accomplish the same thing as the helmet one with just a remote switch connected to the existing brake light.

I do like the idea of a higher visibility brake light though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It's gonna confuse the poo poo out of people when the helmet one lights up but your bike's brake doesn't as you're engine braking. Seems kinda useless tbh