Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I just had a dream about what a Woody Allen version of ESB would be like and it still somehow oddly worked.

Woody Allen playing Han Solo, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

im sure everyone has seen this but for those who havent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

wyoming posted:

When Obi Wan is touring the cloning facility.

Though, they're not actually empty, just uniform.

No need for food when the glory of serving the Republic is all the nourishment you need every day spent serving the Republic IS a day on the farm every meal a blessing every formation a parade my God I LOVE THE REPUBLIC!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Eat the apple, gently caress the corps

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We make artisinal small batch clones at this facility.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

wyoming posted:

When Obi Wan is touring the cloning facility.

Though, they're not actually empty, just uniform.

Is that a bowl full of julienne onions?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Snowman_McK posted:

Not really, seeing as it was old people who voted for things like Brexit and Trump.

Which the media are uniformly against. Makes you think....

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I've never really noticed before but I kind of love that all the dinnerware is so normal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

Space noodles man, haven't you ever seen Alien Resurrection?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It looks like a bowl of cold rice noodles. Kamino culture is probably super big on neutral dishes given I can imagine that on a planet which rains constantly and is mostly ocean and is cut off from galactic trade there is not a thriving spice market.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hello i am the new star war script writer not mr sorkin (or snorekin as i call him) please let me introduce my movie where we find out there is nothing in the rules that say a droid can't play baseball

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Snooze Cruise posted:

hello i am the new star war script writer not mr sorkin (or snorekin as i call him) please let me introduce my movie where we find out there is nothing in the rules that say a droid can't play baseball

Snoke is Sorkin!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Freakazoid_ posted:

What's he even need the knife for?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Covok posted:

Snoke is Sorkin!

HIS SECRET LAIR WAS STUDIO 60 ALL ALONG

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

Space noodles man, haven't you ever seen Alien Resurrection?

space cornbread is better.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

UmOk posted:

So I re-watched Rogue One on Digital Video Disc. It has some serious issues. Why is the "comic relief" character a slave that was literally brainwashed into joining the rebellion. They even make a cute joke about it. This seems to be very problematic.

The droid is a Terminator-esque being who is aware of its own reprogramming. As K. Waste noted, his embrace of this absurdity manifests itself in his compulsive need to impose his consciousness on the world, even betraying his master's intention to assassinate Jyn's father.

UmOk posted:

Also, the characters just gleefully slaughtering faceless hordes of Stormtrooper who are just doing their jobs is pretty gross. After one of these massacres one of the heroes even sits down on top of slain trooper and starts making quips.

This is all bookended by the beloved villain nonchalantly slaughtering faceless rebels while the audience cheers.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

KVeezy3 posted:

This is all bookended by the beloved villain nonchalantly slaughtering faceless rebels while the audience cheers.

Rogue One is kind of like Inglourious Basterds, in that respect.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gross? Personally I thought that was pretty awesome.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Brainwashing is totally cool as long as you are conscious of it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

AndyElusive posted:

Gross? Personally I thought that was pretty awesome.

To me, gross and awesome are not mutually exclusive. I love trash.

UmOk posted:

Rogue One is a cool movie. Rogue One depicts gross things. These are not mutually exclusive.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

UmOk posted:

Is the purpose of movies to be totally cool? Rather than perceive the unacceptable as incongruous dead parts to be discarded, you should take them as impetuses for a further reading of the whole film. Be fearless like K2S0 and impose your consciousness on the universe of Rogue One.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 30, 2017

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Not being facetious, on page 1 of this thread I posted a viewing order. I now retract that viewing order in exchange for:
I, II, III, R1, IV, V, VI, VII

I now believe this is the best order. Happy to argue with anybody who disagrees.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

Not being facetious, on page 1 of this thread I posted a viewing order. I now retract that viewing order in exchange for:

I now believe this is the best order. Happy to argue with anybody who disagrees.

Id skip rogue one. It doesnt add much to the overarching storyline, and doesnt provide much galactic insight to help better set the stage.

I would also argue to split this out over many nights

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

K. Waste posted:

To me, gross and awesome are not mutually exclusive. I love trash.

Rogue One is a cool movie. Rogue One depicts gross things. These are not mutually exclusive.
Yeah, this.

The entire theme of Rogue One is that the characters have done and continue to do gross things. It's a nice harmony between form and content: as a tie-in film that's not part of the main trilogies, these are not the main characters with traditional story arcs, and the narrative doesn't require pat, comfortable resolutions to their conflicts. Think of a classic movie moment where some uncomfortable choice comes up, but coincidence gives the hero an easy out, where we can still sympathize with him. Rogue One avoids a lot of this (I mean, sure, there's still some -- it's Star Wars movie, and there are limits).
  • The brainwashing they do with the slave robot is hosed up. Welp.
  • The thing they ask the slave robot to do (kill another one just like it) is also kind of hosed up. This is just left hanging. Welp.
  • Diego Luna's character outright murders a dude because he feels it's necessary for the greater good. That's all kinds of hosed up and the exact sort of choice a Luke Skywalker could not be asked to make, at least not in that way, and without some convenient narrative "out" freeing him of it. Diego Luna's character doesn't get that. He just does it, and that's that. A stain on his character and our ability to sympathize with him. Welp.
  • Their plan fails and they all die. Welp. But hey they transmit a bit of data that the real heroes of the trilogy can use.
Like this isn't even subtext. It's subtext in the other films, but in Rogue One it's just like the main theme of the movie. It's all based on the line "some good people died to bring you this information" (or whatever the exact line is) and this movie unpacks the reality of those "good people." Those good people did a lot of gross, hosed up stuff, and they actually had to do a lot of it, or else the events of the original trilogy wouldn't even have been possible. Luke would be dead. The Death Star would be a success. It's a thematization of an uncomfortable reality in the original films which the original films can't really acknowledge. Rogue One is the only film that can thematize it so directly because of its form -- it doesn't fit into the main trilogies, it's just this tie-in thing.

Lampsacus posted:

Rogue One is a commentary on the original trilogy, so it needs to come at least after IV.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DirtyRobot posted:

"some good people died to bring you this information" (or whatever the exact line is)

"Many bothans died to bring us this information", and that was in regards to the Emperor being on the 2nd Death Star; and as such has nothing to do with Rogue One, A New Hope, or the first Death Star at all

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Kyle Katarn got the first death star plans without much fuss.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

sassassin posted:

That's hosed up.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

If you are primarily interested in the films' narrative, watch them in that order. If you are primarily interested in cinema history and the films' commentary on their predecessors, watch them in the order they were released. If the idea of "machete" crosses your mind, go chop some vegetables or something, you aren't eating enough of them.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

DirtyRobot posted:

The entire theme of Rogue One is that the characters have done and continue to do gross things. It's a nice harmony between form and content: as a tie-in film that's not part of the main trilogies, these are not the main characters with traditional story arcs, and the narrative doesn't require pat, comfortable resolutions to their conflicts. Think of a classic movie moment where some uncomfortable choice comes up, but coincidence gives the hero an easy out, where we can still sympathize with him. Rogue One avoids a lot of this (I mean, sure, there's still some -- it's Star Wars movie, and there are limits).

I disagree that this is the entire theme of the movie. What you identify as "gross things" merely have a clearly identifiable agent. The rebellion council are able to consider themselves untainted. When confronted with the idea of the Death Star, there's immediate panic and a desire to surrender. Since Jyn did what she had to do to survive, they want to absolve themselves of a difficult decision by reducing her to a tainted criminal. They decide to save themselves by submission to the systemic "gross acts" of the empire.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

sassassin posted:

I've always thought it weird that the best known Legends version of stealing the Death Star plans is the one that has absolutely none of the things from the ANH opening crawl. If you wanted the official "first battle", you had only the ANH radio drama, a couple of pages in the Han Solo books, and a random kid's choose-your-own-adventure book.

I'm not as down on Legends as most here, but if you're looking for reasons why starting over was a good thing, Rogue One is practically a thesis by itself. In Legends, the Death Star plan theft is a bit of trivia - and due to the sheer number of people who wanted to tell that story, all of them with different protagonists, something of a running joke. In Rogue One it not only finally gets its due attention as a narrative, it has a good amount of meaning for the saga it came from (as in the great analysis by Dirty Robot above).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Barudak posted:

Id skip rogue one. It doesnt add much to the overarching storyline, and doesnt provide much galactic insight to help better set the stage.

I would also argue to split this out over many nights

This is a stupid opinion.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

KVeezy3 posted:

I disagree that this is the entire theme of the movie. What you identify as "gross things" merely have a clearly identifiable agent. The rebellion council are able to consider themselves untainted. When confronted with the idea of the Death Star, there's immediate panic and a desire to surrender. Since Jyn did what she had to do to survive, they want to absolve themselves of a difficult decision by reducing her to a tainted criminal. They decide to save themselves by submission to the systemic "gross acts" of the empire.
"The entire theme of..." was poor wording on my part because it is unnecessarily reductionist.

When you say, "The rebellion council are able to consider themselves untainted. [...] they want to absolve themselves of a difficult decision by reducing [Jyn] to a tainted criminal," that's what I see as a harmony between form/content, in that the original movies do similar things in absolving their main characters. They are absolved of having to make such decisions by narrative contrivance. Or they still commit gross acts, but even if they're in response to systemic violence, it still happens totally off camera (e.g., Han's past) or framed in such a way that we ignore it (e.g., the death of faceless Stormtroopers). Like, that's fine. That's what all narratives do with their main characters to some degree. But one of the things Rogue One does is thematize what's really going on in the original trilogy, both within the diegetic space of the films (i.e., "in-universe" we see the rebellion council washing their hands of lovely stuff) and without (i.e., the writers/directors contrive things so that even a shady dude like Han Solo doesn't really have to demonstrate the kind of things it's implied he does on a regular basis).

Again, to avoid over-simplifying: yes, of course Rogue One does the exact same things with its characters, except according to a slightly different logic, because of its formal position relative to the original trilogy. Also, it's not as though the original trilogy is purely simplistic and black and white and Rogue One is some super complex unveiling of "what's really going on." But I am saying: 1) the movie is playing with these themes/tensions, and 2) that's a big part of the movie, and 3) this big part of the movie is rendered possible by its formal relationship to the original trilogy, and 4) the folks who made the movie took excellent advantage of that relationships. In short: the gross acts are part of what make it cool and good.

jivjov posted:

"Many bothans died to bring us this information", and that was in regards to the Emperor being on the 2nd Death Star; and as such has nothing to do with Rogue One, A New Hope, or the first Death Star at all
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So I'm watching Rogue One again, and I just realized something really really weird. How the hell did C-3P0 and R2D2 get on the Tantive IV?

According to what saw in an excerpt from the novelization, the Tantive IV was docked with the Mon Cal ship the entire journey from Yavin to Scarif. In the movie, we are explicitly shown the two droids still on Yavin after the Mon Cal ship departed for Scarif. So when did they get on board?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I don't think Raddus had left at the time we see the droids. The dialogue from Mothma right before is that he had returned to the fleet and was preparing to head to Scarif, and all those pilots scrambling to their fighters in that scene arrive with Raddus.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah the dude said Raddus returned to his ship. So he went to his ship, waited for everyone to get on board the Tantive IV, waited for that to dock, and then left to participate in a key battle. Nevermind the fact that the Tantive IV really should have been long gone on its way to Tatooine.

Christ none of this makes any logical sense whatsoever. I get they wanted this movie to dovetail into ANH but they should have put some goddamn effort into it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose Oquendo posted:

According to what saw in an excerpt from the novelization

I think I see the problem

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

DirtyRobot posted:

They are absolved of having to make such decisions by narrative contrivance. Or they still commit gross acts, but even if they're in response to systemic violence, it still happens totally off camera (e.g., Han's past) or framed in such a way that we ignore it (e.g., the death of faceless Stormtroopers). Like, that's fine. That's what all narratives do with their main characters to some degree. But one of the things Rogue One does is thematize what's really going on in the original trilogy, both within the diegetic space of the films (i.e., "in-universe" we see the rebellion council washing their hands of lovely stuff) and without (i.e., the writers/directors contrive things so that even a shady dude like Han Solo doesn't really have to demonstrate the kind of things it's implied he does on a regular basis).

Luke is told that the necessary path to the greater good is murdering his father. You speak of character based narrative contrivance but the structure of Rogue One was already predetermined from its conception.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lampsacus posted:

My viewing order is 4, 5, 6, TFA, R1 and no others because they are bad, and I'm not going to argue it.

Also I will never not find the handwringing in this thread over robots being robots hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Soul Glo posted:

My viewing order is 4, 5, 6, TFA, R1 and no others because they are bad, and I'm not going to argue it.

Also I will never not find the handwringing in this thread over robots being robots hilarious.

You've left out three good ones though

• Locked thread