Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Chokes McGee posted:

I have a nasty secret to confess.

I liked Iron Fist a lot :blush:

Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I know right? It's p hosed up

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I could stand the White guy, I could stand the bad/meaningless fights. I gave up at the Worst Druggie Characterization this side of Saved By The Bell.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Ward getting hooked on drugs was one of the few story lines I thought were good in that show. poo poo I'd be shooting heroin if I was working 80 hours a week and hiding my dead dad who isn't dead from my sister and family.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This show was really loving good. One question I had after watching is who torched the pool room in the first episode? It looked like a mutant power but I don't seem to remember anyone actually having a fire based power.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

This show was really loving good. One question I had after watching is who torched the pool room in the first episode? It looked like a mutant power but I don't seem to remember anyone actually having a fire based power.

Some unnamed pyro on the team.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I said it earlier or maybe in a different thread, but wasn't it David/SK? When he went after his sister there was video of him charring people to death.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Except Syd told him through the manipulated memory to get underwater because of the incoming explosion, so it had to be someone in the group that broke him out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Medullah posted:

I said it earlier or maybe in a different thread, but wasn't it David/SK? When he went after his sister there was video of him charring people to death.

Charring people? I thought he was straight up tearing them apart at a molecular level.

I always thought it was Melanie from just offstage, but apparently Hawely confirmed prior to the season that she has no powers. So, I'm going with the fallback position of we will never know. Some things will probably never be explained.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The pyro mutant is probably also the camouflage plant guy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still have to go back to see the plant guy, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to assume there's more than a half dozen mutants at that facility and just because one of them was helpful on that one mission doesn't mean they have poo poo to do during the rest of David's story.

Or, based on the comics its just one of David's powers controlled by an alter personality.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is Iron Fist good?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Absolutely not, but it's not the kind of show that's hard to sit through.

Luke Cage is objectively a better show, but it's more of a grind to watch. I mean, even Fargo can be, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Iron Fist good?

I liked it, but I'm a broke brain CSpam nite crew poster, so.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's definitely the weakest of the marvel netflix shows, but if you're invested in them you may as well watch it. It's a decent way to pass some time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Iron Fist good?

I liked it more than Luke Cage but I would not call it good. I thought it was worth watching for David Wenham's character who was hilarious/great whenever he was on screen.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Iron Fist good?

The dude was pretty much learning fighting on the day of shooting. Everything about it is bad and boring and horrible to sit through. It offers absolutely nothing new and it does absolutely nothing well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

tweet my meat posted:

It's definitely the weakest of the marvel netflix shows, but if you're invested in them you may as well watch it. It's a decent way to pass some time.

That's more or less my take. If you're looking for a great show its not it. If you're looking for a great fight show its not it. If you're looking for a decent way to pass the time and care about the greater Defenders story/universe then you could do a lot worse, IMO.

But a lot of people HATE it. But its the internet so who knows?

I'd say if you've largely enjoyed the other Defenders' series you'll probably get something out of Iron Fist. If you had serious problems with them then you'll have bigger problems with Iron Fist. If you haven't seen them then start with Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage since they're all part of the story and they're better and then decide if you like the overall "series."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Iron Fist good?

No. It occasionally rises to mediocrity, and every time it does, it can't even hold up to that standard.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Iron Fist is a man so incredibly good at martial arts he was able to defeat a loving dragon in unarmed combat and then punch it in the heart.

Of course the show has nothing of this but does spend half its runtime on boardroom dealings where the title character isn't even present and which patently make no sense.

Also, the fight scenes were terrible for reasons illustrated above.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I just watched this show and uhhh

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fartbox posted:

I know, right?

This show is easily in my 5 of best TV of all time.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The pilot of this show is so loving good.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fartbox posted:

Elentor posted:

The pilot of this show is so loving good.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
is it season 2 yet?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SleepCousinDeath posted:

is it season 2 yet?
Yes, and everyone but you has seen it. We'll try not to spoil it for you.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, and everyone but you has seen it. We'll try not to spoil it for you.

Man was I surprised when it Lenny turned out to be Kevin Spacey the entire time.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Aubrey Plaza was loving fantastic in this show. I remember thinking when she died in like episode 1 and I was bummed, but then she's easily the highlight the rest of the way.

I didn't even know her or seen her in anything before this but drat girl is so good.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Medullah posted:

David Haller definitely counts Pyrokenetic among his full suite of Psychic-based powers. I thought it was pretty clearly David / SK who does it, because SK warns him first, and in the finale episode, the guy who survived being horribly burned blames David for his horrible injuries.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Barreft posted:

Aubrey Plaza was loving fantastic in this show. I remember thinking when she died in like episode 1 and I was bummed, but then she's easily the highlight the rest of the way.

I didn't even know her or seen her in anything before this but drat girl is so good.

I'd only seen her in parks and rec before legion. She straight up slayed her role in this show, I'm a fan now.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Field Mousepad posted:

I'd only seen her in parks and rec before legion. She straight up slayed her role in this show, I'm a fan now.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Hold up...

drat. The contexts aren't similar enough to be too significant, but I never noticed that parallel before.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

DivisionPost posted:

Hold up...

drat. The contexts aren't similar enough to be too significant, but I never noticed that parallel before.

Well she was in her after they kissed, so.. who knows.

I just want another season now dammit.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 31, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Every episode of Legion made me sad that Plaza seemed typecast before it because goddamn she proved she is actually incredibly good at playing whatever she wants.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Caphi posted:

Every episode of Legion made me sad that Plaza seemed typecast before it because goddamn she proved she is actually incredibly good at playing whatever she wants.

I can't believe how this show would be if they went with the middle aged fat guy instead of Plaza like originally intended.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
Yeah I had no idea she could pull off that combo of insane/menacing/seductive so incredibly well. Absolutely one of the break out rolls of this TV season imo, right up there with Joseph gilgun in preacher and possibly Pablo Schreiber as mad Sweeny in American gods. She just captured basically every scene she was in, I'm deffo stoked for season 2.

Man we really do have some drat fine TV on these days.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Yeah I had no idea she could pull off that combo of insane/menacing/seductive so incredibly well. Absolutely one of the break out rolls of this TV season imo, right up there with Joseph gilgun in preacher and possibly Pablo Schreiber as mad Sweeny in American gods. She just captured basically every scene she was in, I'm deffo stoked for season 2.

Man we really do have some drat fine TV on these days.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Aubrey is born to play roles like these cuz she got real real natural crazy eyes that they used to great effect in this show

Even in parks and rec which is a heartwarming comedy show she looked like she wanted to kill and eat a lot of people a lot of the time

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I definitely remember how all the way up until I watched the show I was certain that she was just going to play the same snarky friend role she plays in a lot of things. And while I was cool with that because I enjoy her, it set a totally different set of expectations for me where we'd get a season of David hanging with his quirky, crazy friends.

Then they blew that up in the first episode and killed her and I remember being shocked and upset she had joined the trend of shows killing off name actors in the first episode for shock value. Then she shows up in David's head and gradually develops and becomes the character she was and I was just wowed.

Very truly a "breakout performance" that smashes my expectations and limits on her. Hopefully she seeks out more challenging roles in the future like this and less of the standard thing she does (not that there's anything wrong with that, but she's clearly capable of more).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

STAC Goat posted:

Hopefully she seeks out more challenging roles in the future like this and less of the standard thing she does (not that there's anything wrong with that, but she's clearly capable of more).

I doubt it has much to do with the roles she'd prefer to do. I imagine roles she's actually offered are more on the "snarky romcom friend" side of things, regardless of her artistic ambitions.