Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Fuzz posted:

On topic: is The Order worth $15?
i feel like the order is more of a "worth my time" proposition than anything. do you want to play a "cinematic experience" that includes some bog standard cover shooting sections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fuzz posted:

This thread has turned to such poo poo.

Its a triumph of western storytelling

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Snak posted:

For real, stop buying games until you read like, the bare minimum about them.

There's nothing really wrong with disliking the things you dislike, but reading like, a single paragraph about any of these games would have told you you would hate them.

I'm not disliking these games because I don't like what they are trying to do, i dislike them because they are bad at what they do.

Nier was boring and tedious after a few initial great hours. TLG has dogshit controls and terrible AI in a game that relies on having good controls and AI.

I read plenty about both games but most people seemed to brush off the huge flaws in each title, for some bizarre reason.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think so. I don't think it's worth the time it takes to play it.

Anyone want a Dishinored: DE code? PM me .

PM sent.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm not disliking these games because I don't like what they are trying to do, i dislike them because they are bad at what they do.

Nier was boring and tedious after a few initial great hours. TLG has dogshit controls and terrible AI in a game that relies on having good controls AI.

I read plenty about both games but most people seemed to brush off the huge flaws in each title, for some bizarre reason.

I am interested in why you ordered Persona 5, I really think you maybe should just cancel it and save yourself some more frustration

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

spudsbuckley posted:

Nier was boring and tedious after a few initial great hours. TLG has dogshit controls and terrible AI in a game that relies on having good controls and AI.

I just feel like your complaints about both Nier and TLG are like, the most common complaints about most games. Like, people who dislike them dislike them for those reasons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fuzz posted:

This thread has turned to such poo poo.

Depends on how much you like walking slowly through nice looking locations and awful dialogue.

I platinumed it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

spudsbuckley posted:

Because they don't see them as huge flaws.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, new av!

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Snak posted:

I just feel like your complaints about both Nier and TLG are like, the most common complaints about most games. Like, people who dislike them dislike them for those reasons.

Both those games have a few really obvious gameplay flaws that you pretty much have to actively overlook to even bother with them.

The previous 3 games I played before them were Horizon, Dark Souls (finally actually finished it) and Yakuza 0. I can honestly say I enjoyed every moment of those games because none of them had these huge, glaring gameplay flaws that sapped my willingness to continue playing them.

Maybe it's just being an older gamer, but I have developed a really low tolerance for "flawed masterpiece" type stuff. I just see a mediocre game with a couple of good moments but nothing that's worth my free time.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Fuzz posted:

It's a :10bux: game max, I think digital has been as low $5 or $8, wait for that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TLG doesn't have terrible AI it's actually pretty drat impressive.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

spudsbuckley posted:

Both those games have a few really obvious gameplay flaws that you pretty much have to actively overlook to even bother with them.

The previous 3 games I played before them were Horizon, Dark Souls (finally actually finished it) and Yakuza 0. I can honestly say I enjoyed every moment of those games because none of them had these huge, glaring gameplay flaws that sapped my willingness to continue playing them.

Maybe it's just being an older gamer, but I have developed a really low tolerance for "flawed masterpiece" type stuff. I just see a mediocre game with a couple of good moments but nothing that's worth my free time.

Yeah, so what I'm saying is, you should read the opinions of people who are critical of the games and not the people who are drooling over them.

Like, people have been bitching about controls in TLG since it launched. I've never even played it, and I could have told you that you would hate it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am interested in why you ordered Persona 5, I really think you maybe should just cancel it and save yourself some more frustration

Spudsbuckley listen to this person. You aren't going to make it through the initial 4-5 hours of cutscenes Persona throws at you. Save yourself some money.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is mayonaise an anime?
No it's more like a really bland aioli.

Fuzz posted:

It's very, very, very pretty. But

Obsurveyor posted:

It's a :10bux: game max, I think digital has been as low $5 or $8, wait for that.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that dude is gonna hate persona but i hope he does buy it because it will be funny

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

TLG doesn't have terrible AI it's actually pretty drat impressive.

This is true. Sadly, that doesn't translate into a good gaming experience.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Ineffiable posted:

All I can imagine is a japanese geek typing furiously on a forum about how superior Western storytelling is in games like braid and beyond two souls.

The pendulum swings both ways!

If they were like this thread they'd be posting about great the storytelling is in Call of Duty and Battlefield

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Obsurveyor posted:

I was vaguely interested in it too, I'll wait for the inevitable fiver sale then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snak posted:

Oh, new av!

Yeah, I'm late to the My Hero Academia party but it owns.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
After the sad realisation that the new mirrors edge is a much shittier, bloated version of the old one, I'm going to go back to witcher 3, so please give me some pro tips to make me enjoy it.

Last time, the combat just made me feel like the bulk of the game play was a chore, even on easy, and I felt like virtually every mission or story decision I made resulted in failure or everyone dying. So tips to cheese combat would be nice.

In terms of missions, the kind of thing I'm thinking or was a side quest where people are knocking down religious totems. When you confront them, you can either fight them or concede that religion is an oppressive opiate of the masses blah blah blah and let them go. I chose the latter option and get a big MISSION FAILED and that upsets me and makes me think I may miss out on further plot, reward etc so I want to reload go back on my decision.

So basically because the game tells me I've failed I feel like I have... failed, even though I have completed the quest on my own terms. Is the game going to punish me for this, or not?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have gotten tired of the Witcher 3 combat too and am going to play the expansions on Easy just so I can move through the story (I think this will be the first time I have done this).

Do what you want to do, and make your own story

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Use alternate controls and abuse Quen. The only thing that will kill you is your own boredom as you wait for it to refresh.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
alternatively, put all your points into igni and set literally everyone on fire

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just put a bunch of points into Aard with the damage boost and kept knocking everyone down

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Awesome! posted:

that dude is gonna hate persona but i hope he does buy it because it will be funny

I want him to buy it because I want Atlus to get money for one of the best games ever, but also Jesus Christ at his posts

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Potions are pretty mandatory. Detoctions are hilariously powerful too.

The game wants you to use all the tools you have available, so give them a shot. You can't really mash through an encounter on anything other than easy. But it's nuts how divided people are on the combat. I think it's probably the best combat in this kind of open world game, only dethroned by Horizon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FishBulb posted:

If they were like this thread they'd be posting about great the storytelling is in Call of Duty and Battlefield
I dunno about that exactly but there's plenty of complaints about the standard anime storylines and characters in Geha or wherever, same as here.

edit: incidentally here's the current thread there about Atlus relaxing the streaming rules for P5 but not in Japan, there are all the usual opinions there about what Japanese and Westerners want from games.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 29, 2017

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have gotten tired of the Witcher 3 combat too and am going to play the expansions on Easy just so I can move through the story (I think this will be the first time I have done this).

Do what you want to do, and make your own story

Please read the "Before I Play" of Witcher 3 http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=The_Witcher_3:_Wild_Hunt

tldr; use side step to dodge attacks and roll to get distance from enemies. Don't let yourself get surrounded. If you can control the fight, you will have fun with the combat in The Witcher 3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

illBilliam posted:

Please read the "Before I Play" of Witcher 3 http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=The_Witcher_3:_Wild_Hunt

tldr; use side step to dodge attacks and roll to get distance from enemies. Don't let yourself get surrounded. If you can control the fight, you will have fun with the combat in The Witcher 3.

I already beat the main story. I did all that too. I am tired of the combat encounters

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I already beat the main story. I did all that too. I am tired of the combat encounters

Oh I see. Never mind then.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jimbot posted:

The game wants you to use all the tools you have available, so give them a shot. You can't really mash through an encounter on anything other than easy. But it's nuts how divided people are on the combat. I think it's probably the best combat in this kind of open world game, only dethroned by Horizon.

The jimster speaks the Gospel

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jimbot posted:

maybe if you're playing on the higher difficulties but I rarely bothered with that stuff on normal and never felt like I needed it to get anywhere

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I platinumed the game and 100%ed all the DLC stuff on Death March and I think I used potions maybe less than a dozen times. Light attacks and Quen break the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

codenameFANGIO posted:

I had been lead to believe it was better than the Nintendo threads but it is somehow worse?!?!?

they lied this is always the worst

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, not so sure about The Last Guardian.

It feels like another indie puzzle platformer that you'd pick up for a fiver in a sale or get free on PS+. The controls are abysmal, Trico is a pain in the balls as far as being a gameplay mechanic and it runs like rear end.

The puzzles are retard easy as well, it's just the poo poo controls and stupid AI slowing things down.

Do you just buy video games randomly without know jack poo poo about them? Because you're making yourself out to seem very stupid and ignorant about your own tastes in games.

Awesome! posted:

Totally this. I can't wait to come back to the thread and see this:

spudsbuckley posted:

WTF is this stupid anime bullshit. i have to play as high schools? this is stupid

Why is a cat telling me to go to sleep all the time? I have to play 10 hours before I can do anything?! This game is loving stupid worthless garbage

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 29, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

they lied this is always the worst
Every single thread has several posting regulars that say it's the worst thread. Stop posting, then.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
This thread is perfectly fine compared to any of the Vita threads

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Overall I found W3's combat to be satisfactory, yet I still found myself at this point when I played B&W. The new enemies just felt annoying rather than a new, interesting challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I hate people's complaints about the last guardian's controls, or at least the idea that it was an oversight on the developers' part. The character is a little kid, it would make the game worse imo if he controlled like nathan drake, it's obviously an intentional choice, the animations of the boy make that pretty clear. I'd much rather have the boy control like that and not make perfect jumps or movement every time, it would detract from the immersion, just like Trico's AI, which can be frustrating (although I never really got frustrated with them, maybe in one or two puzzles when the physics of his tail wouldn't work out how they're meant to), but yeah, if you would have read any review, even the Easy Allies 5/5 review (and their game of the year for 2016) mentions that about the game right after the very basics of the plot. Also, it's not like it's a game that requires super precise controls, it's a slow paced game and the puzzles are absolutely not "retarded", compared to a lot of the critically acclaimed games I've played recently, TLG has more unique puzzles than most, and uses them sparingly, like there's two really interesting puzzles, the cart bit and the water physics one are only used ONCE in the game, whereas uncharted 4 would've used that mechanic at least 2 dozen times. There are a lot of simple puzzles, but the whole game is littered with puzzles at pretty much every point in the game, of course the ones at the beginning aren't going to be too difficult. There's so many great and unique mechanics that the last guardian does better than any game I've played in years, the boss fights are incredibly unique, the story is incredible and Trico is a loving astounding achievement in gaming. Not faulting you for disliking the game, but I think your criticisms don't hold up compared to like any other critically acclaimed game out right now.

I will admit the camera is wonky in small spaces, and the frame rate does drop in a few areas for a few seconds, but that's about it. But the rest of the game makes up for it. If you actually think about how to get Trico to achieve certain tasks instead of just expecting the beast to do what you want immediately then yeah, it's not going to work out well. But if you choose your commands carefully and read up on the commands you can use, and use the camera to look in places where you want Trico to go then I don't think you should have many problems, or at least in my 5-6 playthroughs I rarely got frustrated with Trico's AI, because I learned how to interact with him in a way that makes him very easy to direct. Also, if Trico just did whatever you wanted him to do immediately then the game would be poo poo, did you expect a realistic animal AI that's supposed to act like a cat/dog/bird to react like a point and click strategy game and immediately do what it's told every time? That would also make the game awful.

Basically, the game's controls, and Trico's AI are great I think, regardless of how they feel, it wouldn't be the incredible game that it is without those mechanics. Yes, there are a few technical problems but they're not relevant to the quality of the game at all in my opinion, my biggest gripe is that the control prompts still pop up even after the patch and ruin some beautiful screenshots. Plus the last hour is loving amazing, and Team Ico's best story yet.

Basically yeah what the before you play videos like everyone's suggesting.