Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I agree with everything in the previous two posts. Audi Field will be modern and have better sight lines, but the team will still be poo poo and the crowd will be even worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Seltzer posted:

My point was that being an original franchise most of our supporters came to watch soccer when it was extremely unpopular because they liked it. The newer franchises seem to attract a the type of fans that want to go to games to bang a drum for 90 minutes with their back to the pitch and get attention. As for a "poo poo product" in a "poo poo location" you can make fun of the redbulls all you want but that's just a completely absurd statement. We have crap branding and marketing but to tell me that watching a winning/exciting team play in one of the nicest soccer specific stadiums in the country is poo poo then I want to know what poo poo means to you. As for the location it's easily accessible by rail for like 15 million people and a walk away from very nice restaurants and bars.

Not surprising a PNW fan felt the need to get upset when someone poked at the soccer hispterism that plagues a lot of MLS.
I agree with this. The Timbers were a joy to watch in the USL before all the bandwagon kilt geeks arrived.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Hey guys, get this: those assholes who just want to bang drums and yell on megaphones for 90 minutes are a thing in the rest of the world too, we might have more fights and fewer video game tifos in Latin America but plastics and idiot supporter groups suck here too.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Simone Poodoin posted:

Hey guys, get this: those assholes who just want to bang drums and yell on megaphones for 90 minutes are a thing in the rest of the world too, we might have more fights and fewer video game tifos in Latin America but plastics and idiot supporter groups suck here too.
they really can't be compared. One group is supporting the team and the other is supporting themselves.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Seltzer posted:

My point was that being an original franchise most of our supporters came to watch soccer when it was extremely unpopular because they liked it. The newer franchises seem to attract a the type of fans that want to go to games to bang a drum for 90 minutes with their back to the pitch and get attention. As for a "poo poo product" in a "poo poo location" you can make fun of the redbulls all you want but that's just a completely absurd statement. We have crap branding and marketing but to tell me that watching a winning/exciting team play in one of the nicest soccer specific stadiums in the country is poo poo then I want to know what poo poo means to you. As for the location it's easily accessible by rail for like 15 million people and a walk away from very nice restaurants and bars.

Not surprising a PNW fan felt the need to get upset when someone poked at the soccer hispterism that plagues a lot of MLS.

African AIDS cum posted:

they really can't be compared. One group is supporting the team and the other is supporting themselves.

:perfect:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
American soccer fans can't win.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
castrate all american soccer fans

e - the glut of narratives regarding stupid loving facist/marxist/whig supporter groups outshadowing what happens on the field is enough evidence to me that this dumb league needs to oversell itself to a small (and embarrassing) contingency of people unloved by their parents. Instead of news of current playoff team Toronto dunking on Houston I get to hear about some pointless Minnesota fan group.

it's ok though because people that fill the seats in century link help pay the bills for ben olsen's pay check.

*in smug john oliver voice* cool

Fucitol fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 30, 2017

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Nobody cares about an underground Marxist group except weirdos on the internet, who then complain about weirdos in real life

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Nobody cares about an underground Marxist group except weirdos on the internet, who then complain about weirdos in real life

this checks out. no way is there a weirdo incestuous relationship between a smattering of conceited fans and the league.

what section in rfk do i buy tickets to boycott the league, again? will this week's tifo feature my favorite pokemon? if I'm feeling particularly spry what would the best way to gently caress with opposing players? could i meet them in the tunnel post game and run my mouth?

I'll take your think piece of which star wars character best represents your favourite supporter group off air.

Reject
Nov 4, 2002
Kreis is a good coach and Orlando is a good team right now. I fully expect us to have at least one "poo poo the bed" month as is tradition, but hopefully we've gotten enough points that we'll be able to rebound and still be in the playoffs.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Red Bull Arena was pretty awesome last night, great crowd. Guess that's what happens when you have a Saturday night game with gorgeous weather. Hopefully we get lots more of that this year.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

nice of red bull arena to give a nod to the supporter groups for a change.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Looks like Kansas City is well on schedule for jumping out to the top of the conference in the spring, then inexplicably collapsing and backing into the playoffs in sixth place again. Consistency!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

tk posted:

There's nothing wrong with enjoying cheap tickets and empty stands. It's fun, and that's why I would go to a Reign or USL game.

...or you could go to Reign matches to support the team and the league, jackass.

the Reign have won the NWSL shield twice in 5 seasons, made it to the final twice, and are well-respected in the league. But yeah, sure, keep saying they put out a lovely product. the only lovely thing about the Reign is that they're forced to play in a garbage stadium that's owned by the local school district, and despite that, their matches are still well-attended.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 2, 2017

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

the escape goat posted:

...or you could go to Reign matches to support the team and the league, jackass.

the Reign have won the NWSL shield twice in 5 seasons, made it to the final twice, and are well-respected in the league. But yeah, sure, keep saying they put out a lovely product. the only lovely thing about the Reign is that they're forced to play in a garbage stadium that's owned by the local school district, and despite that, their matches are still well-attended.

The quality of play is abysmal. The players are bad at the sport.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Rowdies stadium vote in St. Petersburg passed by something like an 88/12 margin, so we can probably pencil them in for an MLS slot unless the owners decide that Bill Edwards is just too litigious to run a team in MLS.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Philadelphia Union won a MLS game for the first time this season and since August of last year.

Contract the Red Bulls. And the Union too

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

The Rowdies stadium vote in St. Petersburg passed by something like an 88/12 margin, so we can probably pencil them in for an MLS slot unless the owners decide that Bill Edwards is just too litigious to run a team in MLS.

He'll play nice in MLS. He even has a new pacemaker to keep time to.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Toronto just won five games in a row for the first time in team history

What the hell is going on

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

hmm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

MLSE has always spent a shitload of money, it's not like they've known how to spend it well

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

MLSE has always spent a shitload of money, it's not like they've known how to spend it well

You have a Houston Dynamo's worth of cash between you and the 2nd highest spending team, not that all shocking.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Can't help but noticing Chicago, LA and Seattle aren't exactly lighting up the league right now despite their wage expenses

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Seltzer posted:

You have a Houston Dynamo's worth of cash between you and the 2nd highest spending team, not that all shocking.

Honestly, I attribute the current success not to Vanney but to Bez the GM and Bill Manning the President. Past TFC teams had all the money they could long for and they hosed it up on shithouse players on long contracts. Remember, we hold the league record for the most players suited up in one season for something retarded like 40. Yes, we overpay for our DPs, but what has really brought some kind of success is a front office willing to search for proper value and MLS veterans like Irwin, Moor, Beitashour, Morrow. The fact that the four guys I just listed off the top of my head are a keeper and three defenders probably isn't a coincidence.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Honestly it seems like Toronto finally figured out buying a bunch of lovely 30+ Euro garbagemen every transfer window to plug holes left by other declining lovely 30+ Euro garbagemen wasn't a good model for a stable lineup., Just acquire a bunch of Canadian and American players who have nowhere else to go and they will put in ~effort~. Then paper over nepotism hires like Zaveleta by employing an actual good and cool player in Giovinco to drag the team to glory.

Edit: You agree it seems.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 11, 2017

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Jack2142 posted:

Honestly it seems like Toronto finally figured out buying a bunch of lovely 30+ Euro garbagemen every transfer window to plug holes left by other declining lovely 30+ Euro garbagemen wasn't a good model for a stable lineup., Just acquire a bunch of Canadian and American players who have nowhere else to go and they will put in ~effort~. Then paper over nepotism hires like Zaveleta by employing an actual good and cool player in Giovinco to drag the team to glory.

Edit: You agree it seems

I do

And I agree about Zavaleta but he's good enough to be a bench CB or trade bait so I'm willing to hang onto him. I think Mavinga was supposed to replace one of him or Hagglund for a starting spot and he's complete loving trash who's been subbed off before half-time 2 out of 3 games now. And Seattle still couldn't score against him, a rookie and some random lol

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

Then paper over nepotism hires like Zaveleta by employing an actual good and cool player in Giovinco to drag the team to glory.

heck, we've been winning without him, and also our best and only good CB

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Toronto chat...... almost as bad as Cascadia chat.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Instead of complaining that other people are posting about their teams, why not post about yours? My team made an actual Deadline Day Signing to pick up a backup striker from the A-League (of all places), so maybe Montero can rest once in a while without leaving us stuck with Erik Hurtado of all people.

Toronto chat: actually why isn't Giovinco playing? I thought you were resting him on Saturday but he didn't even make the bench last night either, and there's no news of an injury either. It's honestly kinda weird.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 11, 2017

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Dallan Invictus posted:

Toronto chat: actually why isn't Giovinco playing? I thought you were resting him on Saturday but he didn't even make the bench last night either, and there's no news of an injury either. It's honestly kinda weird.

:raise:

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/05/10/toronto-fcs-sebastian-giovinco-out-for-wednesday-nights-clash-with-columbus-crew-due-to-injury

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Instead of complaining that other people are posting about their teams, why not post about yours?

The New York Redbulls are the best team in MLS

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Well then!

(in my defense, not reading the Sun is usually one of my better decisions.)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Seltzer posted:

The New York Redbulls are the best team in MLS

Hell, they are.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

lol look at goalkeeper compensation

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Atlanta's number is going to go from comically low to comically high in the next two months.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

3 teams named United lol at MLS

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

3 teams named United lol at MLS

Seven FCs.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire