Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wow, Dear White People Chapter 5 takes the tone of the show into a much darker place than the first 4 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Do I need to finish Fargo S2 before I can start watching S3?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
The hacker released episodes 2-10 now of OITB S5 and they're out there. S5 is 13 episodes so he's holding onto the last 3. Guess they didn't get their ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

This article has some more details about the source of this stuff, and how they might have shows from other networks as well: http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/netflix-hacker-also-claims-theft-from-abc-fox-ifc-national-geographic-1202403699/

IRQ posted:

They don't typically ransom content.

This person gets it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I know they have to take marketing and things like that into account, but I wish that Netflix just released the episodes themselves.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why would he hit a service known for releasing everything at once? Not really a powerful threat when suspense is measured by the audience's will to plow through episodes.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Holy poo poo Detroiters is amazing. It has been a very, very long time since a comedy made me laugh out loud this much.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

Why would he hit a service known for releasing everything at once? Not really a powerful threat when suspense is measured by the audience's will to plow through episodes.

He didn't target netflix, he targeted a production company that works with multiple content providers including netflix. The article linked above shows the hackers claim that he has several more series to release, these ones from traditional broadcasts networks. When you take that in to consideration it makes sense for netflix to be the first victim, to use them as a demonstration of proof that you actually have something worth paying for. Now Fox and ABC and whoever else may be more likely to pay after an entire series has been released.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The more interesting implication of this is that apparently Netflix is delaying its shows so they all release in summer for absolutely no reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Not so far and likely not at all.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

All the season's stories exist independently of each other.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MiddleOne posted:

The more interesting implication of this is that apparently Netflix is delaying its shows so they all release in summer for absolutely no reason.

You can bet that Netflix has their schedule meticulously planned to surf people's "Eh, I'd cancel, but x starts in 2 weeks." inner monologue.

Timing, not total viewership, of shows is exceedingly important to Netflix's bottom line.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

All the season's stories exist independently of each other.

To be fair season 2 was a prequel with some of the same characters so it's a fair question whether that will come up in season 3 or not.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

You can bet that Netflix has their schedule meticulously planned to surf people's "Eh, I'd cancel, but x starts in 2 weeks." inner monologue.

Timing, not total viewership, of shows is exceedingly important to Netflix's bottom line.

Yeah this is not a surprise at all. Most network TV shows' seasons are not done when they start airing, Netflix aired shows always are, obviously.

What's news here is that the individual or group responsible for this is asking for money, which has never happened to my knowledge. Even when the norks hacked sony (or perhaps just farted in the direction of Sony's servers) over that lovely seth rogan movie and leaked that equally lovely brad pitt movie nobody ever asked for money.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

precision posted:

To be fair season 2 was a prequel with some of the same characters so it's a fair question whether that will come up in season 3 or not.

Fargo has generally rewarded knowing the other seasons/movie, but it's hardly been a requirement to understand the individual seasons.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Am I blind or is there a thread for American Gods yet? I just finished the book and am so stoked for tomorrow. They have Orlando Jones as Mr. Nancy, which I'm cool with, but I couldn't help but see the character of Mr. Poe from the new Lemony Snicket on Netflix.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was gonna make one but I forgot, there does not seem to be one though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

KilGrey posted:

Am I blind or is there a thread for American Gods yet? I just finished the book and am so stoked for tomorrow. They have Orlando Jones as Mr. Nancy, which I'm cool with, but I couldn't help but see the character of Mr. Poe from the new Lemony Snicket on Netflix.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818200

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Huh, checked yesterday and didn't see that at all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bull3964 posted:

Timing is important to every network. MiddleOne, do you think networks just normally dump things on tv as soon as they're done filming? I don't understand what you think is so scandalous about this on Netflix's end.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Jack Gladney posted:

Other posters have already mostly answered this, but let's not also forget that OITB S5 wasn't going to premiere until June 9th iirc, almost a month and a half from now. Which is also why I was amused by some people thinking this was a purposeful leak at first. If that were the case, the furthest out they would have done that would've probably been a week before, and even then it doesn't make much sense when it comes to Netflix.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Gaunab posted:

What happened with Scream?

Season 2 fired the two female showrunners, replaced them with men hired from the outside. Worth noting that this also happened to Awkward, which had a female lead and a strictly female point of view.

Season 3 then fired the SEASON 2 showrunners, gave the new team one episode (billed as a Halloween special) to wrap the story up, then had them continue on as an anthology series.

MTV sucks loving rear end at developing scripted.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of abandoning scripted stuff, A&E has announced that with the end of Bates Motel they're done with scripted programs too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Season 2 fired the two female showrunners, replaced them with men hired from the outside. Worth noting that this also happened to Awkward, which had a female lead and a strictly female point of view.

Season 3 then fired the SEASON 2 showrunners, gave the new team one episode (billed as a Halloween special) to wrap the story up, then had them continue on as an anthology series.

MTV sucks loving rear end at developing scripted.

You're their entire audience so it's not that surprising.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of abandoning scripted stuff, A&E has announced that with the end of Bates Motel they're done with scripted programs too.

To be fair that's really more of a "Going out on top" situation, as it's pretty much impossible to do better than Bates Motel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mulva posted:

To be fair that's really more of a "Going out on top" situation, as it's pretty much impossible to do better than Bates Motel.

I believe this entire last season, and especially the finale, was what you call a walk-off home run.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I used to believe that too but then I remember how Marco Polo, one of their most expensive shows, was effectively killed by its 18 month season gap and how we're now officially 22(!!!) months out on season 2 of Sense8 which is a critical darling. House of Cards is also delayed this year and is being released 16 months after the last season (despite every other season having a 12 month gap). Then we find out through the hacker that Orange is the New Black is already completely finished 2 months before its release which makes me rightfully start wondering just what the hell is going on in Netflix Headquarters.

raditts posted:

Timing is important to every network. MiddleOne, do you think networks just normally dump things on tv as soon as they're done filming? I don't understand what you think is so scandalous about this on Netflix's end.

No other network is anywhere near as annoying and inconsistent about it as Netflix are.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

MiddleOne posted:

No other network is anywhere near as annoying and inconsistent about it as Netflix are.

Maybe, just maybe, it only seems annoying and inconsistent from the outside.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Netflix deserves this.

BECAUSE OF HEMLOCK GROVE.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

I used to believe that too but then I remember how Marco Polo, one of their most expensive shows, was effectively killed by its 18 month season gap and how we're now officially 22(!!!) months out on season 2 of Sense8 which is a critical darling. House of Cards is also delayed this year and is being released 16 months after the last season (despite every other season having a 12 month gap). Then we find out through the hacker that Orange is the New Black is already completely finished 2 months before its release which makes me rightfully start wondering just what the hell is going on in Netflix Headquarters.

Marco Polo was killed by being very unsuccessful in season 1 but Netflix makes 2 season commitments.

Netflix isn't a network.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 30, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Netflix isn't a network.

What does that have to do with anything? Just because they dump all their content at once instead of a weekly basis does not mean they don't release content.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Netflix's entire model is different. They just buy content. They don't make anything themselves, even Netflix originals. They have less control because they just cut a check.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
speaking of Netflix, is there a Dear White People thread yet? because that show is loving amazing, and I want somewhere to gush about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aphrodite posted:

Netflix's entire model is different. They just buy content. They don't make anything themselves, even Netflix originals. They have less control because they just cut a check.

It's really easy to forget this. I still get weirded out when I see House of Cards and Orange is the New Black being sold on Blu Ray in stores.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm watching 13 Reasons Why and I went into this expecting some super-depressing show about teen suicide, not a crazy paranoid horror show that's like Donnie Darko meets Twin Peaks and really makes high school feel like hell :stare:

Like Jesus Christ, this is a nightmare but not at all in the way I was expecting.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I just noticed the Dear White People TV adaption on Netflix, which was released with no fanfare in what I desperately hope is some kind of meta-commentary considering the push that noted awful show Girlboss got, and it's surprisingly good. At fist it seemed kinda silly to me that they turned a movie into a 5 hour netflix show but in retrospect I guess the movie really did cram a whole lot of premise into very little time because it works really well.

EDIT: Almost the entire season 5 of Orange is the New Black just got dropped on the scene a few hours ago.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 30, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

MiddleOne posted:

EDIT: Almost the entire season 5 of Orange is the New Black just got dropped on the scene a few hours ago.

Was about to get you but you edited :P Also it was roughly more than 12 hours ago and I posted about it here in this very thread.

Also, according to THE DARK OVERLORD'S twitter, they don't actually have episodes 11-13 because they weren't done yet at the time of the hack, so people can have fun waiting for a month and a half unless Netflix decides to release this earlier than planned.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 30, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I have literally no idea how I missed it. :suicide:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Boy I forgot how loving wretched that last season of OITNB was so I don't think I will bother either way

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Would it be possible to change The Handmaids Tale tag, I dunno I forgot to tag the thread type. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Spatula City posted:

speaking of Netflix, is there a Dear White People thread yet? because that show is loving amazing, and I want somewhere to gush about it.

It really is and I love the turn of the show focus on episode 5.

• Locked thread