Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, he said Versatile but I'll ask. It's probably not worth it for OA protection and reach 1, yeah.

Any other recommendations in its place?
The Staff Expertise is one of the ones that is actually worth it even if you get a free expertise feat. Not taking OAs on ranged attacks is pretty great. Though I guess maybe a little less useful for druids since you can sometimes shapeshift out of danger.

If you do drop it though, Battlewise is always solid. Controllers really like going first to screw with the enemy before melee starts, especially since both of your ranged at-wills make it so enemies don't want to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

What timezones y'all at? I'm Central, my friend is Eastern.

I'm in Eastern too, so if yall start something up I'd definitely be interested!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, he said Versatile but I'll ask. It's probably not worth it for OA protection and reach 1, yeah.

Any other recommendations in its place?

It TOTALLY is worth it for the OA protection. Staff Expertise is one of the few that's worth taking even if you have the expertise bonus already.

Maybe not your first feat though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DM says I can take Staff instead of Versatile, so I'll grab Battlewise as well!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Feat tax and letting you take the best feat? Good DM.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gharbad the Weak posted:

What timezones y'all at? I'm Central, my friend is Eastern.
Mountain in the summer and Central in the winter, but if you're looking to set up a game any time soon, I won't be able to play. Not a lot of reliable internet connections (or free evenings) in a tree planting camp in northern Alberta. If you're looking to get going any time after July, though, count me in.

Subjunctive posted:

DM says I can take Staff instead of Versatile, so I'll grab Battlewise as well!
Just a head's up: Improved Initiative's flat +4 will get you a bigger boost than Battlewise, which just swaps wisdom in for dex.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

The Crotch posted:

Just a head's up: Improved Initiative's flat +4 will get you a bigger boost than Battlewise, which just swaps wisdom in for dex.
Ah, right. My bad. You'd retrain to BW as soon as your WIS bonus is 4-5 more than your DEX (though probably not relevant to your one-shot).

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I think Dex Druid is way better than Con Druid at low levels. That level one encounter giving -Dex mod to defenses is just ridiculous.

Edit: Not that it probably matters, grasping tide and fire hawk tend to be more than enough for most fights. Giant Toad is also fantastic.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 30, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

One nice thing about con Druid is that it kept me from dying and I got pounded on. I couldn't land Thorn Spray to save my life, though.

I had a great time (gradenko_2000 is a fun DM!) but I didn't feel like I did a great job of controlling things. I guess if TS had landed more often it would have helped. Grasping tide wasn't as helpful as I'd have liked because we engaged in melee quickly and so the enemies didn't have to move much. Maybe if we'd attacked and shifted more, idk. I also failed to use the reach bonus of Staff Expertise, because I forgot about it.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The reach bonus isn't really relevant for any non-Sentinel druid. You use your beast form to make melee attacks, not your staff.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

One nice thing about con Druid is that it kept me from dying and I got pounded on. I couldn't land Thorn Spray to save my life, though.

I had a great time (gradenko_2000 is a fun DM!) but I didn't feel like I did a great job of controlling things. I guess if TS had landed more often it would have helped. Grasping tide wasn't as helpful as I'd have liked because we engaged in melee quickly and so the enemies didn't have to move much. Maybe if we'd attacked and shifted more, idk. I also failed to use the reach bonus of Staff Expertise, because I forgot about it.

The Crotch posted:

The reach bonus isn't really relevant for any non-Sentinel druid. You use your beast form to make melee attacks, not your staff.
Yeah, one not limited to druids thing me and my friends keep forgetting is that Staff expertise granting weapon reach, shouldn't really apply to Implement melee attacks. So every time one of us looks at Monks we go "Why don't we ever take staff expertise-oh right, Implement melee powers."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The real jewel of staff expertise, as I'm sure I've mentioned it before, is combining it with Arena Training style Fighter, as their benefit was made before the various _______ Expertise feats, and thus, by taking Staff as one of your arena weapons, you can apply the increase in reach to any other arena weapons.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

The real jewel of staff expertise, as I'm sure I've mentioned it before, is combining it with Arena Training style Fighter, as their benefit was made before the various _______ Expertise feats, and thus, by taking Staff as one of your arena weapons, you can apply the increase in reach to any other arena weapons.
I know I'm a hardass, but I'd say "Nah" to this and move on. It's just too silly.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'd allow it.

Using this trick basically requires the fighter to use their entire class feature on +1 reach. It isn't threatening reach, so they can't use the extra range to make OAs, and fighter mark punishment is restricted to adjacent enemies, even when the fighter is using a reach weapon. All they can really do with it is mark/strike at range and that can easily deny the fighter and the group flanking bonuses on the enemy. Sure, you could do something like Fighter|Warden hybrid and use the warden mark punishment, since that's not adjacent restricted, but that's burning a ton of class features and feats on it and it still doesn't grant threatening reach.

Basically I just feel this costs more than it's worth when you get down to it.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Is there any way to get feat bonuses to warlock attack powers with shortbows outside of Implement Expertise or Versatile Expertise? Trying to make a warlock build with Moonbow Dedicate, and I'm trying to find a way to get implement bonuses for the powers.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Khizan posted:

I'd allow it.

Using this trick basically requires the fighter to use their entire class feature on +1 reach. It isn't threatening reach, so they can't use the extra range to make OAs, and fighter mark punishment is restricted to adjacent enemies, even when the fighter is using a reach weapon. All they can really do with it is mark/strike at range and that can easily deny the fighter and the group flanking bonuses on the enemy. Sure, you could do something like Fighter|Warden hybrid and use the warden mark punishment, since that's not adjacent restricted, but that's burning a ton of class features and feats on it and it still doesn't grant threatening reach.

Basically I just feel this costs more than it's worth when you get down to it.
I'm not saying it's unbalanced, I'm saying it's dumb. :)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I mean, you can get the same effect with a ki focus, though you lose your weapon enchantment as a result.

I swear there is a ki focus enchantment that grants you +1 to reach but I cannot find it. I feel like I'm going crazy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

berenzen posted:

Is there any way to get feat bonuses to warlock attack powers with shortbows outside of Implement Expertise or Versatile Expertise? Trying to make a warlock build with Moonbow Dedicate, and I'm trying to find a way to get implement bonuses for the powers.

Have a DM who's a cool dude and scales the game right regardless.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Well, yeah. This would be a free expertise feat. I can get the bonus, but I wondering if there's anything aside from implement/versatile expertise that'd work as well, because bow expertise doesn't work.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nope not for Moonbow Dedicate AFAIK. It's one of the penalties of using bow weaplements in 4e. Crossbow Artificers are also sad pandas.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd probably allow the reach shenanigans of an arena fighter, but I don't know how I'd handle someone trying to tack Polearm Master on to that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dick Burglar posted:

I mean, you can get the same effect with a ki focus, though you lose your weapon enchantment as a result.

I swear there is a ki focus enchantment that grants you +1 to reach but I cannot find it. I feel like I'm going crazy.
There's plenty of swords that do similar - like the farbond spellblade.

I'm just saying it's no kind of essential fantasy archetype or anything that even makes narrative sense. It's a weird, funny rules trick. And, like, cool if you're into that, I'm content to leave it as a Murphy's Rule.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dick Burglar posted:

You may be missing it because it's a superior Ki focus, so need the proficiency feat to quality and also it won't show up when scrolling through a big pile of magic items due to technically being mundane. KEYWORDS :pseudo: (The good news is you still get to keep your favorite enchantment on it).

Transcendent Ki focus. Which has Reaching (+1 reach using a melee implement attack), and blinking (concealment until start of your next turn if you hit with a teleportation attack).

Took me a bit to find. I still have my on life support insider account, but today's latest :downs: is that 99% of the dropdown filters are gone from the compendium while I'm trying to use it. But I can still apparently search stuff and use my character builder... for the moment. But just search terms has always been notoriously finicky.

EDIT: As for Staff Expertise = reach on everything on arena fighter... Does original print Arena fighter not specify it's perk only applies to to-hit and Damage feat bonuses? Because the arena fighter trick only applies to feat bonuses for To-Hit and Damage, not "Literally any kind of feat bonus". This is so the sort of thing I've considered in the past then realized "Wait, that won't work because-" a dozen dejavu inducing times.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 2, 2017

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the offline builder at least, the pertinent part of the arena fighter goes like this:

"In addition, any of your feats that grant feat bonuses to attack rolls or damage rolls with one of your arena weapons apply to your other arena weapons as well."

The implication being that the + to hit or damage is the requirement to get the feat to work on non-staff weapons, but it still carries the whole feat over, not just the mathematical bonus.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Crotch posted:

In the offline builder at least, the pertinent part of the arena fighter goes like this:

"In addition, any of your feats that grant feat bonuses to attack rolls or damage rolls with one of your arena weapons apply to your other arena weapons as well."

The implication being that the + to hit or damage is the requirement to get the feat to work on non-staff weapons, but it still carries the whole feat over, not just the mathematical bonus.

Stuff like this is probably why they had to errata sneak attack/quarry/etc to explicitly say "You have to HIT with your attacks to deal sneak damage, come on you guys :saddowns:"

Though my personal favorite errata I can ever remember offhand, was sorcerer lightning strike getting patched to explicitly not be allowed to shoot yourself in the face with it's secondary effect, because people were using that to trigger Took Damage abilities. Made more personally amusing to me, because my group let me get away with flagrant bullshit dealing that Sorc Mod damage through walls and doors, just because it was funny... But my idea of glossing over line of effect rules was still nothing compared to what most people did with it.

"Yeah, sure I made a tiny 4 damage lightning bolt crawl under a door to zap a minion. But at least I'm not shooting MYSELF with it."

EDIT: What I'm trying to get at is, if your group thinks it's funny enough then it's never a problem to bend the rules into a pretzel. But it's safer in the long run to err on the side of "How much of a stretch is it for this to be taken that way?" for general discussion.

Granted, my mindset is also borne of many groups who were flagrant munchkin bullshit players constantly aghast at me trying to use bog standard rules in ways that didn't fit their world view. Like say, trying to use my bargain bin sound based powers to project spooky sounds being cheating "Because you didn't take the ventroliquism skill"... But then turning around and suggest I use powers as points intensive as sound system as a 5 kilometer range intimidate attack on my spooky guy who could make batman poo poo himself. Now THAT'S fair gameplay! :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 2, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Crotch posted:

Yeah, I think the intention is that it was supposed to only apply to math bonuses, because those 'other parts' didn't exist back then as package deals. It's to save you feats while you're switch-hitting given the rules environment active when the DSCS came out. It's a funny rules quirk that the later Essentials expertise feats interact weirdly with it. At the time it was written there was - iirc - weapon/implement expertise, versatile expertise, and weapon focus.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Section Z posted:

Now THAT'S fair gameplay! :downs:
Because if you can do whatever you want and the rules are meaningless, what does that say about me, a person who defines my self-worth by how much better I am at the rules than you?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Here is my counterpoint: that dumb reach thing is literally the only thing that arena fighters get

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

Here is my counterpoint: that dumb reach thing is literally the only thing that arena fighters get
Nah, it's a decent enough path, especially with its armor bonus. Also the ability to just effectively use whatever object is at hand is cool and flavorful, if generally pointless and not implemented perfectly.

Half of their main benefit did get effectively eaten by Master of Arms tho. :v:

Regardless, I don't think you balance a subclass by funny rules quirks. You balance them by balancing them.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ProfessorCirno posted:

The weird Essentials Expertise Feats are really the only thing Arena Fighters have going for them outside of picking up a Superior Weapon from the outset. Otherwise they're forced to wear light armor to even qualify for the armor increase and get to use math bonuses or feats that are often freely given out as house-rules anyway on both your weapons. And then you don't even get to qualify for some of the better fighter feats because you didn't get Weapon Specialization and don't get that sweet, sweet straight +1 to hit for existing as a fighter.

Also, don't forget Hammer Expertise, though. Can get a polearm momentum character that extra square without having to wear Rushing Cleats or whatever.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Nah, it's a decent enough path, especially with its armor bonus. Also the ability to just effectively use whatever object is at hand is cool and flavorful, if generally pointless and not implemented perfectly hot steaming garbage just like in every D&D game, but definitely in a game where weapon choice is half your character's life

quote:

Regardless, I don't think you balance a subclass by funny rules quirks. You balance them by balancing them.

It's a dumb quirk but you have to start somewhere man

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

The weird Essentials Expertise Feats are really the only thing Arena Fighters have going for them outside of picking up a Superior Weapon from the outset. Otherwise they're forced to wear light armor to even qualify for the armor increase and get to use math bonuses or feats that are often freely given out as house-rules anyway on both your weapons. And then you don't even get to qualify for some of the better fighter feats because you didn't get Weapon Specialization and don't get that sweet, sweet straight +1 to hit for existing as a fighter.

Also, don't forget Hammer Expertise, though. Can get a polearm momentum character that extra square without having to wear Rushing Cleats or whatever.
Staff Expertise and Flail Expertise yeah

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."

dont even fink about it posted:

It's a dumb quirk but you have to start somewhere man

I feel I should point out that an Arena Fighter is never unarmed because Unarmed attacks are Improvised weapons and therefore the Arena Fighter is ALWAYS getting a proficiency bonus AND a better die roll for damage on literally any attack they make, with or without weapons. I always felt this was better than Fighter Weapon Talent because FWT is just a +1 to attacks rolls to ONE weapon subset and that's all she wrote. Whoopie. I almost always take Arena Fighter over Fighter Weapon Talent because one option is versatile while the other is a boring +1 that literally does nothing else for your character. Fighters by default are already ahead of the curve when it comes to breaking enemy Defenses because their class feature, the thing they do best, Marking and hitting on OAs already gets a flexible +X from Combat Superiority.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Arena Fighter is perhaps the strongest option for a low level fighter just because of the ease of getting superior weapon proficiencies without spending a feat.

As you level up and feats become more plentiful, it becomes less and less worthwhile, until you reach a point where the only thing it really offers you is Flail/Staff expertise shenanigans.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

It's strange because that's how I feel about Fighter Weapon Talent. It starts you off great, but since it never changes, it only takes about 6 levels for it to become completely eclipsed by literally anything else. Then again, I've never been in a game that didn't have Inherent Bonuses so it might be more noticeable in games where you actually feel the loss of that floating +1 if you don't have it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Agent Boogeyman posted:

It's strange because that's how I feel about Fighter Weapon Talent. It starts you off great, but since it never changes, it only takes about 6 levels for it to become completely eclipsed by literally anything else. Then again, I've never been in a game that didn't have Inherent Bonuses so it might be more noticeable in games where you actually feel the loss of that floating +1 if you don't have it.

That isn't how (the value of) bonuses to a d20 roll work.

Which is a common mistake, see pathfinder as a particularly egregious set of examples.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

No, I get it, it's an extra +5% chance to hit that never goes away. However, I just ran the numbers and you're actually right; The average chance to hit only decreases as you gain level compared to the average target AC defense. At Level 1 it's a 55% chance to hit, and at Level 11 through 21 it's only a 50/50 split, and then becomes 45% at Level 30. Yikes. Double check my math here:

Level 1: +4 STR, +1 FWT, +1 Feat vs. 15 AC = Roll 9 or Higher.
Level 11: +5 STR, +1 FWT, +2 Feat, +2 Enhance, +5 Half Level vs. 25 AC = Roll 10 or Higher.
Level 21: +7 STR, +1 FWT, +3 Feat, +4 Enhance, +10 Half Level vs. 35 AC = Roll 10 or Higher.
Level 30: +8 STR, +1 FWT, +3 Feat, +6 Enhance, +15 Half Level vs. 44 AC = Roll 11 or Higher.

Is this actually right? Am I forgetting something?

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
You're missing the proficiency bonus from a weapon, which is a +2 or +3 bonus, which drops it to 8 or 9 to hit.

EDIT: The thing about FWT is, no other person gets a straight +1 to hit unconditionally. And with D&D, you're not expected to swap out weapon types, so it really is just +1 to hit. Which makes fighters really good in a fight. Arena fighter trades that for kinda sorta getting to build a frankenweapon, which isn't really worth the loss.

The average person is looking at around 9 or 10 to hit, following your formula with proficiency. But the way 4e maths works, the party needs to hit a certain number of times, and monsters are built around that. With a +1, you hit 5% more often with every attack, which is more hits earlier = more enemies killed earlier = less resources used per fight = less chance of players dying. And that's not even getting into the value of hitting more often with dailies/encounters, which swings the fight even harder, since they basically count as multiple hits.

Torchlighter fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 5, 2017

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

Aha! That's still kinda crappy though. Yeah, okay, so in the long run I concede that FTW is the better bargain but only on the merit that the defense math is kind of garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Is this actually right? Am I forgetting something?

Torchlighter posted:

You're missing the proficiency bonus from a weapon, which is a +2 or +3 bonus, which drops it to 8 or 9 to hit.

Forgetting weapon proficiency isn't a big deal since it isn't going to prevent accuracy from dropping off at high levels. 4ed is kinda frustrating because they mathed out all the curves and then intentionally broke it apart to make room for magic items and scaling ability scores (which didn't actually make up the difference).

One could argue that Taclords more than make up the difference, but not all leaders make hitting trivial like they do.