Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I got a new job for bookoo figgies but now this other place I was talking too is reaching out again

welp guess I better let them down as softly as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

I got a new job for bookoo figgies but now this other place I was talking too is reaching out again

welp guess I better let them down as softly as possible

just fwd them your paystub

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

just fwd them your paystub

+ 10%

I use to do that when recruiters would call up.

Currently Salary + 15% and current vacation + 1 week.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Interview hell final report: 4 weeks, 4 companies, 9ish interviews (can't remember it's all a blur now). Dropped out of one after first interview (total garbage fire). Timed coding test, whiteboarding, aptitude test (with a literal IQ test), all forms of misery. Two offers, took the one with slightly less figgies but much more interesting domain/company/product.

What a lovely loving month, I lust for death.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

+ 10%

I use to do that when recruiters would call up.

Currently Salary + 15% and current vacation + 1 week.

Always go for more vacation

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Double Bill posted:

Interview hell final report: 4 weeks, 4 companies, 9ish interviews (can't remember it's all a blur now). Dropped out of one after first interview (total garbage fire). Timed coding test, whiteboarding, aptitude test (with a literal IQ test), all forms of misery. Two offers, took the one with slightly less figgies but much more interesting domain/company/product.

:same:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
what does a timed coding test prove? you can hack a bank just like in the movies?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LinYutang posted:

what does a timed coding test prove? you can hack a bank just like in the movies?

ideally it automates the make you swap a string/fizzbuzz portion of the interview process

if you don't use it for trivial things you're just testing how much of the API they've memorized

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Double Bill posted:

I thought iq testing for employment was illegal, hence all the proxy iq testing?

Then again maybe it's not because America

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

lancemantis posted:

I thought iq testing for employment was illegal, hence all the proxy iq testing?

It was done at a external consultancy, and phrased as a "logical deduction test", but it was pretty much 1:1 the same type of test Mensa does. Even some of the symbols were the same.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

lancemantis posted:

actual iq testing by professionals is expensive, so employers tend not to bother. (it also doesn't particularly correlate to success, but some employers still fetishize IQ)

personality inventories are filled with questions that impact protected classes, so employers who do do personality inventory like things tend to ask a small segment of questions that are tightly focused. they are used in an automated hiring process for associates at burger flipping chains and retail positions.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

sent out some resumes with extra blank pages in the middle

always check the generated pdf

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
how do interviewers typically feel about a candidate demonstrating that they know what algorithm to use for a problem and how it works, but falling short on the implementation? I just had an interview where in one part they asked me to get the sorted union of two sorted lists, so basically the merge part of merge sort. I got it pretty quickly, but I messed up and forgot to deal with the case that one list is exhausted, so I'm not how well I did.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

ultravoices posted:

actual iq testing by professionals is expensive

iq isn't even a real thing, im pretty sure this is just elaborate scammery

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DuckConference posted:

wow apple really likes masters degrees in their job postings
yeah it's weird like oh yeah my 20 years of experience is good but if I'd done way less work and had an HCI masters somehow I'd be a better designer? [bonus: most hci programs don't even require design classes to complete]

it's only certain groups I think though since I've had 2 interviews there with my scrub tier psych ba

NewForumSoftware posted:

iq isn't even a real thing, im pretty sure this is just elaborate scammery
it's a real thing in that it tests how good you are at iq test tasks and it's pretty consistent across time

it's not an actual measure of general intelligence, though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

da beeper king BABY posted:

how do interviewers typically feel about a candidate demonstrating that they know what algorithm to use for a problem and how it works, but falling short on the implementation? I just had an interview where in one part they asked me to get the sorted union of two sorted lists, so basically the merge part of merge sort. I got it pretty quickly, but I messed up and forgot to deal with the case that one list is exhausted, so I'm not how well I did.

depends on how well everyone else did unfortunately

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

da beeper king BABY posted:

depends on time restraints and the interviewer, mostly. if they noticed the bug and were a good interviewer and you still had time they could have probed you into seeing it & fixing it as well. if you guys were out of time then it probably doesn't matter.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
I had my first "live coding" interview. I did embarrassing terrible. no where to go but up, right?

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Yep, laugh at it and move on. Who cares.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

I had my first "live coding" interview. I did embarrassing terrible. no where to go but up, right?

nerves always get me on the first couple interviews
writing a thing from scratch is surprisingly hard when you've been only fixing stuff or adding to existing systems for 6+ months

before an interview, think of a simple problem to do on your own and write it into a blank file or piece of paper, the momentum helps jog my brain into active beep boop thinking mode. car analog 1st gear etc

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

MeruFM posted:

writing a thing from scratch is surprisingly hard when you've been only fixing stuff or adding to existing systems for 6+ months

before an interview, think of a simple problem to do on your own and write it into a blank file or piece of paper, the momentum helps jog my brain into active beep boop thinking mode. car analog 1st gear etc

yeah, I do the same thing. something that you know how to solve, just go through the mechanical steps of writing out the details and handling the corner cases

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

The Management posted:

yeah, I do the same thing. something that you know how to solve, just go through the mechanical steps of writing out the details and handling the corner cases

same but i do what someone in a CoC thread suggested and i take my notebook out to a park or someplace and do my hand coding there to get used to doing it in an unfamiliar place

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

MeruFM posted:

yeah it was comically bad. I wrote a bunch of if statements testing equally with = instead ==.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

yeah it was comically bad. I wrote a bunch of if statements testing equally with = instead ==.

Just tell them you were using shell script for that problem

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i wish we could just talk about the stuff we've done like literally every other field instead of taking stupid quizzes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

*flies into thread*

hey guys, your old pal stymie here

actually, making computer touchers take tests is cool & good because they should be subjected to the same treatment retail workers applying for jobs at megachains have

quit now and do actual labor!

now excuse me while i jack off to a new hentai series about construction workers propositioning passing by high school children who are of course 18 years of age on my iphone 4s running ios 5

*flies out of thread*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mishaq posted:

*flies into thread*

hey guys, your old pal stymie here

actually, making computer touchers take tests is cool & good because they should be subjected to the same treatment retail workers applying for jobs at megachains have

quit now and do actual labor!

now excuse me while i jack off to a new hentai series about construction workers propositioning passing by high school children who are of course 18 years of age on my iphone 4s running ios 5

*flies out of thread*

dude, stymie hasn't posted in this thread for a week

maybe take a walk or something

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!
Had a second interview with that company. Went pretty well and I got a call yesterday that they'd have an offer for me on Monday. It's contract hourly. How much money do I ask for as recent grad with some experience near San Jose?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PapaLazarou posted:

Had a second interview with that company. Went pretty well and I got a call yesterday that they'd have an offer for me on Monday. It's contract hourly. How much money do I ask for as recent grad with some experience near San Jose?
6.5 figgies, duh

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
looks like the ca job might offer me contractor part time off-hours remote to make deece figgies and keep the current job. always wanted to work 60+ but the pay might be worth it :suicide:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

not sure where to post this but it looks like I'm doing game dev. a reputable dude in industry wants to work with us to help us get our game to market as a producer but I'm not sure what I should know legally before any formalities or paperwork comes into question, no doubt whatever will be hashed out soon enough informally but i can't say I know much. does anyone have good resources for contracts or the like?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

OldAlias posted:

not sure where to post this but it looks like I'm doing game dev. a reputable dude in industry wants to work with us to help us get our game to market as a producer but I'm not sure what I should know legally before any formalities or paperwork comes into question, no doubt whatever will be hashed out soon enough informally but i can't say I know much. does anyone have good resources for contracts or the like?

there's some game law people in the game jobs thread.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PapaLazarou posted:

what's the role and level? what kind of company is it?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Blinkz0rz posted:

i wish we could just talk about the stuff we've done like literally every other field instead of taking stupid quizzes

a lot of people can talk well about what they did but can't code for poo poo. they should talk to you and then have you demonstrate that you can write a program

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

leper khan posted:

there's some game law people in the game jobs thread.

got a link? not sure where it is

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

The Management posted:

a lot of people can talk well about what they did but can't code for poo poo. they should talk to you and then have you demonstrate that you can write a program

meh, a lot of other industries require plenty of domain specific poo poo that no one gets super grilled on

i guess it's the figgies but still i hate interviewing

Iverron
May 13, 2012

The Management posted:

reasonable take homes and OSS work should suffice here

BUT WHAT IF THEY CHEAT

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

meh, a lot of other industries require plenty of domain specific poo poo that no one gets super grilled on

i guess it's the figgies but still i hate interviewing

Interviewing is cool and good when you realize you're trying to filter out most the jobs, either by turning them down or by 'failing' their retarded interviews.

PapaLazarou
May 11, 2008

Decadent Federation Swine!

The Management posted:

what's the role and level? what kind of company is it?

I'd be responsible for writing calibration/diagnostics software for automated test equipment used in semiconductor manufacture. Not entirely sure what level that is. Job description has the title as Electrical Engineer, not terribly descriptive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
one thing i really appreciated with this apple interview was that the question had an obvious and correct answer (p much "there's a finite unchanging set of states, a simple switch or set of if-thens would be readable and perform fine") and the interviewer and i agreed basically instantly. then he asked me to just see if i could come up with a more "problem-y" way to do it which made me super comfortable because now it wasn't about proving i could program but about thinking of the most heinous code i could for fun (which is something i love to do if you read my tp thread posts at all). basically all that time i spend at work reimplementing simple problems over and over until i have the most obtuse possible solution came in handy and i felt right in my zone.

something about the way he just accepted my basic proficiency at face value and then let me have fun with the problem really put me at ease.

• Locked thread