Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oohhboy posted:

The commentary gets worse further in. Maybe they got drunk or it's deliberate but they get really obtuse. They really, really want that heist movie but being that knowledgeable about Star Wars you would think they would put two and two together to realise they will get that movie later at an undetermined date.

They bitch on about the team having no plan before wishing for Oceans Eleven for the nth time. Yeah no poo poo because they didn't know anything about the place and they didn't have time. They show you the team looking up the local directory, the commandos were plan 2/2.

The tension from the final battle doesn't come from a timer. The tension comes from the ebb and flow of the battle. Who is winning is constantly changing hands. The Death Troopers arrive for example is another reversal like the AT-AT and their subsequent destruction.

Had they not shown the Death Troopers disembarking you wouldn't know where they came from. Krennic did send them off but the movie always makes sure you know where things are moving.

They miss the reasons why the camera followed some of the action at such and such of an angle. They provided the motion to move into the next scene or frame so you know where and when something is happening.

It is something TFA is missing especially during the final battle as space and time goes out the window. TFA uses a timer but when that passes nothing happens. The same set of scenes in ANH has them show you the firing sequence from earlier just seconds after zero. If you use a timer, you have to show the countdown. Then you have people teleporting about the place leaving you asking where the gently caress everyone is and how did they get there.

Leia was being a badass by lying right into Vadar's face and had nothing to lose.

The character arcs were weak, but come the gently caress on.

It was a good start but they devolve and start missing the forest for the trees. It got to the point I wrote off their obtuseness as factitious.

ehh. i sorta agree, but they said from the beginning they arnt that sorta star wars fan. i like the movie well enough but i agree with the basic point. from a visuals/technical stand point, its good and it captures the athestics of the originals well, but it has none of the character depth or arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weirdo posted:

This is a good example of when Jay mentioned Star Wars fans getting very upset over their criticisms of Rogue One.

It's blow back from them unjustifiably gushing about TFA.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. i sorta agree, but they said from the beginning they arnt that sorta star wars fan. i like the movie well enough but i agree with the basic point. from a visuals/technical stand point, its good and it captures the athestics of the originals well, but it has none of the character depth or arcs.

Yeah, the problems isn't a technical one. I would take it any day over anything JJ puts out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oohhboy posted:

It's blow back from them unjustifiably gushing about TFA.

Yeah, the problems isn't a technical one. I would take it any day over anything JJ puts out.

i like both for differing reasons. though i like TFA more then R1 as a movie.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

oohhboy posted:

The commentary gets worse further in. Maybe they got drunk or it's deliberate but they get really obtuse. They really, really want that heist movie but being that knowledgeable about Star Wars you would think they would put two and two together to realise they will get that movie later at an undetermined date.

They bitch on about the team having no plan before wishing for Oceans Eleven for the nth time. Yeah no poo poo because they didn't know anything about the place and they didn't have time. They show you the team looking up the local directory, the commandos were plan 2/2.

The tension from the final battle doesn't come from a timer. The tension comes from the ebb and flow of the battle. Who is winning is constantly changing hands. The Death Troopers arrive for example is another reversal like the AT-AT and their subsequent destruction.

Had they not shown the Death Troopers disembarking you wouldn't know where they came from. Krennic did send them off but the movie always makes sure you know where things are moving.

They miss the reasons why the camera followed some of the action at such and such of an angle. They provided the motion to move into the next scene or frame so you know where and when something is happening.

It is something TFA is missing especially during the final battle as space and time goes out the window. TFA uses a timer but when that passes nothing happens. The same set of scenes in ANH has them show you the firing sequence from earlier just seconds after zero. If you use a timer, you have to show the countdown. Then you have people teleporting about the place leaving you asking where the gently caress everyone is and how did they get there.

Leia was being a badass by lying right into Vadar's face and had nothing to lose.

The character arcs were weak, but come the gently caress on.

It was a good start but they devolve and start missing the forest for the trees. It got to the point I wrote off their obtuseness as factitious.

Ok.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Krennic's cape is the best part of the movie. That guy is fly as hell.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Rogue One is okay.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Krennic's cape is the best part of the movie. That guy is fly as hell.

I am glad they went with a practical cape because a CG one would just look tacky.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hahahaha rich burns josh around 21:20

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Rogue One is the skeleton of a good movie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

Rogue One is the skeleton of a good movie.

thats about right.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It's a dead X-mas tree with some really pretty baubles.

er, what you said.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
This commentary track is brutally owning and nitpicking Rogue One is great and I love it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is it funny?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

PostNouveau posted:

Is it funny?

Rich has exploded with laughter at least twice in the first 20 mins.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
People need to wear more capes imo. I realize now why I had a hard time taking Kylo Ren seriously: no cape.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mike eating chips and smacking his lips on purpose into the mic is disgusting and not funny.

Also I've never seen Rogue One and all of that jumping around to random places at random times for the first 45 minutes of the movie is bizarre and the only reason people would praise completely disjointed hackneyed crap are neckbeards that dream of lightsabers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
"The characters arrive at planet 7 of 12" is the best Rogue One criticism ever

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

Both Jay's pants and shirt look too big. It wouldn't surprise me if they are Mike's clothes.

It seems Mike's hobby is going on safari. (Second to drinking the alcohol of course)

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Space Crabs posted:

Mike eating chips and smacking his lips on purpose into the mic is disgusting and not funny.

Also I've never seen Rogue One and all of that jumping around to random places at random times for the first 45 minutes of the movie is bizarre and the only reason people would praise completely disjointed hackneyed crap are neckbeards that dream of lightsabers.

Jay: So we are now halfway into the movie...

Mike: *Annoyed sigh followed by bag of chips being opened*

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah i got the joke, just listening to him wetly chew, swallow and smack his lips for a really long time is disgusting and not funny.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Space Crabs posted:

yeah i got the joke, just listening to him wetly chew, swallow and smack his lips for a really long time is disgusting and not funny.

:slurps on coffee:

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
The annoyed groan did make me smile though. Now time to eat some fried chicken, courtesy of Chunky's.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

Space Crabs posted:

RLM are masters of subtle comedy.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Space Crabs posted:

I think it was supposed to be less "funny" and more "intensely erotic."

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
All of their criticisms apply even more so to the force awakens. Mike really ruined his credibility by praising that turd to high heaven at 4 in the morning right after he saw it.

Still there were some pretty funny moments in the commentary and i never thought about the star destroyer just hovering there like that before mike mentioned it.

I still liked Rogue One a lot. Not a perfect by any means but the first decent star wars movie since jedi.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Crabs posted:

Plinkett singing the song from the end of the Phantom menace in that commentary is the funniest thing RLM ever did

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Plinkett singing the song from the end of the Phantom menace in that commentary is the funniest thing RLM ever did

i dont remember that

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yug posted:

All of their criticisms apply even more so to the force awakens.

How so? Force awakens has characters with story arcs and that's like 90% of what they criticize, they mention there being fan service and details to nitpick in force awakens as well, it's just that that doesn't matter as much because there is a little bit more to the movie (or atleast the characters) than that.

e: Next spinoff they're doing is Han Solo origin story, right? That's going to be soooo embarassing.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

How so? Force awakens has characters with story arcs

hahahahaha

no

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cool. I guess rogue one is the best thing ever then.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Nobody is going to talk Rogue One in another year.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
They'll be talking about the new pod-racing biopic coming out next year

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

Nobody is going to talk Rogue One in another year.

RLM has been talking about it non stop since it came out since they're so butt blasted other people like it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I really liked the pod racing stuff in episode 1 (and the video game) when I was a kid. I bet kids would like some pod racing stuff, a cartoon or a new video game or something like that.

Yug posted:

RLM has been talking about it non stop since it came out since they're so butt blasted other people like it.

No, other people are butt blasted they didn't like it.

I think your butt is blasted.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 30, 2017

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
TFA had a story to tell. It happened to be the exact same story as ANH, but you can't win 'em all.

R1 wasn't so much a story as a bunch of things happening in sequence. It's a boring person narrating their day of running errands, only there are blasters and explosions.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Red Letter Media most definitely isn't making any money from their Rogue One stuff and especially not making anything from their commentary track complete with dead horse picture. They are doing it because they are
mad. as. heck.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I still want an Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness commentary track.

I like their commentary tracks.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait for the RLM sex-tape

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
They're rubbing it in the face of people who are mad at them because they didn't like R1, the same way they rubbed it in the face of the people who were mad at them because they didn't like the new Ghostbusters. They've always sort of doubled-down and thumbed their noses at people who get mad at them for their movie opinions.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

powerful sex moves posted:

They're rubbing it in the face of people who are mad them because didn't like R1, the same way they rubbed it in the face of the people who were mad at them because they didn't like the new Ghostbusters. They've always sort of doubled-down and thumbed their noses at people who get mad at them for their movie opinions.

It seems like they're the ones that are mad. Most people have moved on completely and just remember rogue one as a fun star wars movie that came out a few months ago. RLM keeps bringing it up over and over again they seem genuinely upset that people don't have the same opinion as them.

• Locked thread