Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

That's a really weird article, the stats aren't that close but he insists that they are in italics so it must mean something.

Kawhi's better.

He reallllly had to stretch to make the comparison. He could have picked any other random star player on any other team and made the exact same argument. Kobe and Kawhi play different styles, are good at different things, and don't at all look alike when playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Kawhi is a.... multi talented player? Like he's got lots of different skills, but the second he starts working in the mid range he's immediately reminiscent of Kobe and MJ in very concrete ways. It's uncanny.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

attackmole posted:

Kawhi is a.... multi talented player? Like he's got lots of different skills, but the second he starts working in the mid range he's immediately reminiscent of Kobe and MJ in very concrete ways. It's uncanny.

He have the big hand... so he can make the Jordan moves and shots

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Being an excellent 3-point shooter puts him ahead

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jack's Flow posted:

I had MJ flashbacks a lot of times watching Kawhi this season. His dunks in traffic, his fade-away jumper, his defense. He's freaking good. But Kobe was good, too!

His hands make him much more Jordan esque, he has options in the air Kobe never had cause he's holding a tennis ball

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Being an excellent 3-point shooter puts him ahead

So does playing defense :smugdog:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

AggressivelyStupid posted:

So does playing defense :smugdog:

umm I'll have you know that Kobe made the first team all defense many times.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kobe tried on defense until Shaq left at which point he dedicated all of his energies to making people forget about his sexual assault trial dragging Luke Walton to the playoffs

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

chunkles posted:

So the d-league season is over, and Onuaku shot 73% from the line. You're on notice DeAndre/Drummond/Dwight etc

Andre Roberson needs to get down with this.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Mr. Mambold posted:

It's "Hot Hand Theory", Bobby.

Lol

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Declan MacManus posted:

Kobe tried on defense until Shaq left at which point he dedicated all of his energies to making people forget about his sexual assault trial dragging Luke Walton to the playoffs

He tried in the playoffs in the Pau years too

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DeimosRising posted:

He tried in the playoffs in the Pau years too

He tried but he also wasn't as good as he used to be by then. Kobe after 07 got more credit for D than he deserved. My favorite was when Artest joined the team in 09 and was clearly the best defender on the team yet Kobe was the one getting first team all defense. I even remember pointing out him getting awards like that would skew people's memory of him but was told nobody values those things years later.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I still remember Kobe getting 1st team all-NBA defense as recent as 2010-11 when Tony Allen got 2nd team

And Kobe still got 2nd team the next year

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spacebump posted:

He tried but he also wasn't as good as he used to be by then. Kobe after 07 got more credit for D than he deserved. My favorite was when Artest joined the team in 09 and was clearly the best defender on the team yet Kobe was the one getting first team all defense. I even remember pointing out him getting awards like that would skew people's memory of him but was told nobody values those things years later.

I think almost everyone here agreed it was bullshit, and yeah it will come up as a point of arguement in the future when memories of him as a player have faded.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Earlier career Kobe was legit great at defense though, especially in the playoffs. I fell like his later recognition that he didn't deserve skews peoples perception sometimes.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Lockback posted:

Earlier career Kobe was legit great at defense though, especially in the playoffs. I fell like his later recognition that he didn't deserve skews peoples perception sometimes.

I figure as players get older it gets harder to get in the low wide stance you need to properly defend players. I can't find it now but Kobe would almost double over and shuffle his feet to stay in front of his man and kept his arms wide for deflections and steals, whereas Old Man Kobe would lazily jog around screens and put a hand halfway up to close out. True two way players (like LeBron and Kawhi) are really something special, because locking down on defense is a whole-body effort the entire time you're on the court.

Tae posted:

I still remember Kobe getting 1st team all-NBA defense as recent as 2010-11 when Tony Allen got 2nd team

And Kobe still got 2nd team the next year

The All-Defense teams are a joke anyways, remember when Tyson Chandler won DPOY and only made 2nd team and then the same thing happened the next year with Marc Gasol

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Small sample size Raptors stat: Norm Powell was 10/11 on threes for the first round :chanpop:.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

attackmole posted:

Small sample size Raptors stat: Norm Powell was 10/11 on threes for the first round :chanpop:.

As Drunk Canuck says, there is nothing Norm-al about him

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

morestuff posted:

My dream scenario is Ball becoming so good that Lavar is declared GM in exchange for Lonzo re-signing

He'd have to be the 2nd coming of Magic Johnson for that to even be semi-plausible.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

attackmole posted:

And wasnt his one miss a half court buzzer beater attempt?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Dwight on being benched in the fourth;

quote:

“It hurts,” Howard said. “I’m sure if you wrote the best stories in the world and nobody read your stories and they told you to stop writing and you saw somebody else’s story that wasn’t as good as yours, I’m pretty sure you’d be pissed too. That’s how it is in basketball.”

I do not like anything about this man

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm sort of in awe of this analogy. Like, how does he think writing works?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What do people think of this Wizards/Boston matchup? I originally had Boston with a solid edge but now I don't know. Horford has been quietly balling out, but the guard/Wing play of the Wizards is a more consistent version of what was working for the Bulls.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Ok, sure, fine whatever, but that's how it is in basketball

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

What do people think of this Wizards/Boston matchup? I originally had Boston with a solid edge but now I don't know. Horford has been quietly balling out, but the guard/Wing play of the Wizards is a more consistent version of what was working for the Bulls.

I could see it going either way, but thankfully Boston's biggest strength is probably their wing defense and neither Beal or Wall are big enough to bully the small Celts like Jimmy did so I think they're actually in a bit better of a place than they were in the first round. Gonna be a chippy one no matter what

Mr. Mambold posted:

Ok, sure, fine whatever, but that's how it is in basketball

Hahaha

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTb2Bsmg4Qm/?taken-by=boblian1206

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

I could see it going either way, but thankfully Boston's biggest strength is probably their wing defense and neither Beal or Wall are big enough to bully the small Celts like Jimmy did so I think they're actually in a bit better of a place than they were in the first round. Gonna be a chippy one no matter what

That was my thought, but you won't have a Canaan or even Rondo to hide IT on. And Otto Porter had a real good round 1 and he DOES have size and shooting that will make the Boston Zone tough. I dunno, it's more of a tossup than I originally thought, but maybe I am over-estimating Washington after going against a kind of lackluster Atlanta team.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

That was my thought, but you won't have a Canaan or even Rondo to hide IT on. And Otto Porter had a real good round 1 and he DOES have size and shooting that will make the Boston Zone tough. I dunno, it's more of a tossup than I originally thought, but maybe I am over-estimating Washington after going against a kind of lackluster Atlanta team.

Yeah, it's not going to be an easy series for either team and it should be drat fun to watch.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
A daytime game 7 is some bullshit.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lockback posted:

the Boston Zone

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah, it's not going to be an easy series for either team and it should be drat fun to watch.

Let's hope it's fun, and not

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I hope the Wizards win so we can make fun of Brad Stevens only being able to win a playoff series because Rajon Rondo got hurt in 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Who, besides Westbrook, deserves the 'drag your team into the playoffs award'? Like what would the Cavs record be without LeBron, or wizards without Wall?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ammanas posted:

Who, besides Westbrook, deserves the 'drag your team into the playoffs award'? Like what would the Cavs record be without LeBron, or wizards without Wall?

well in the last few years the cavs have been like 6-37 without lebron in the lineup so i imagine their record wouldn't be good without him.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

that entire team is built around lebron but it would be odd to claim a team with 2 other stars on it was a team he drug to the playoffs. maybe strongly pushed

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ammanas posted:

Jimmy Butler deserves that award more than anyone..

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Gobert

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Giannis

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Middleton and Maker >>> anyone not Jimmy Butler on the Bulls

Gordon Hayward, Iso Joe >>>> than anyone not named Jimmy Butler on the Bulls.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ammanas posted:

Well they were the 7 seed, but the only reason the Pacers made the playoffs is because PG went nuts the last two months of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Dexo posted:

Jimmy Butler deserves that award more than anyone..

This feels right

• Locked thread