Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Did we ever get a tally of what was destroyed in the last operation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Quinntan posted:

Did we ever get a tally of what was destroyed in the last operation?

Only for our side. I didn't include the others as there was multiple losses and we didn't cause them all. Someone did a count of what was in the video too.

:catdrugs:

Reminder : Stream in 3 hours.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

So I'm a big fan of dropping laser-guided bombs on things. Our Phantoms are pretty good at this, but we could do better. How much better? I decided to do some research. Let's take a look at what I found.
I'm going to ignore any aircraft that are hypotheticals or are some kind of strategic bomber or similar that we're very unlikely to get, at least for a long time, because that's basically just noise.

The GBU-24 is a 2,000lb laser-guided bomb that is an upgrade of the GBU-10. The 24 has a longer range (8nm vs 4) and can be launched at a much lower altitude if for some reason you wanted to do that instead of not daring every rear end in a top hat with an Igla to frag your expensive jet. They're otherwise fairly similar as far as I can tell. If you want more than the 2 of these our Phantoms can haul, your choices are:
  • F-15E (5x GBU-10 / 4x GBU-24): hell if I know how that 5th -10 gets mounted that the -24 can't be there.
  • A-10C (4x GBU-10)
  • A-6E (4x GBU-24)
  • F/A-18E / F/A-18F (4x GBU-24)
  • F-111C (4x GBU-10): almost all F-111s in reality have been destroyed post-decommissioning, which would make acquiring one somewhat difficult, but maybe this LP's world is different?
  • F-111F (4x GBU-24): see previous
  • F-15SA (4x GBU-24)
  • A whole bunch of F-16 variants, including some Greek ones (4x GBU-24)
Of these, if they're actually available, I'd vote the F-111Fs. They're probably only moderately priced and they're also brutalist as hell which appeals to me immensely. A-6s are probably also cheap but they're slow and vulnerable. Warthogs dropping GBU-10s is an amusing comedy option for everybody who wants to see them do gun runs but they're even slower than the A-6s. F-15s and Superhornets are pretty generically 'good' but also crazy expensive.

Can we do better?
The GBU-28 is a 5,000lb bunker-buster. Meaning it's utter overkill against anything we've seen so far. But that's what we're here for, right?
  • F-111F (x2)
  • F-15E / F-15I / F-15K (x1)
Once again, Aardvark supremacy, but not exactly many choices otherwise.

Sadly going smaller doesn't help much. The GBU-12, a 500lb bomb, can only be mounted at most at x8 (F-15E / F-15K / F-15S / F-15SA) or x6 (Rafale, making a surprise appearance). Even the SDB, which has "small" in its name (and ok technically isn't laser-guided, so sue me) is only ever mounted with 8 at most, which we already have on the Gripens.

Ok, what if we leave the GBU family?

The AGM-176 Griffin is a modular design that can fit around a couple warheads, including the Mk 84 (2,000lb) and Mk 82 (500lb) seen with the above Paveway kits. I'm going to start ignoring the F-15s and F-16s here because there's so many of the drat things and there's no new capabilities here, so here's some curiosities:
  • Indian MiG-27M (4x 1000lb warhead)
  • Colombian Super Tucano (2x 500lb warhead)
  • Romanian MiG-21 (2x 500lb warhead)
All of these are probably pretty cheap. Also, terrible, but still less likely to get swatted down than the SK-60s*. Haven't you always wanted to own a Romanian Fishbed? No? Me neither. But it'll kill tanks just fine!
*Maybe not the case for the Super Tucanos.

The KAB-1500L is Russia's response to the GBU-24, roughly. It's a ~3,000lb laser-guided weapon. If I'm reading this right (50/50 chance) there's also a bunker-buster variant.
  • Su-24M (x3)
  • Su-25T, also a bunch of other variants (x2): hey we already own these
  • A bunch of Su-30 variants with way too many damned letters (x2)
  • Su-34 (x2)
  • Su-35S / Su-35K (x2)

I hope you will keep these notes on "how to best make enemy tank columns disappear without invoking warcrimes" in mind when the next procurement round comes.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
gdi I was at an air museum with an RAAF F-111 a couple months ago, and it was the only thing I didn't take pictures of for some reason.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 30, 2017

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

power crystals posted:

I hope you will keep these notes on "how to best make enemy tank columns disappear without invoking warcrimes" in mind when the next procurement round comes.

tbh when it comes to blowing up tanks i'll probably just recommend more phantoms

phantoms are fantastic and cheap and one of my favorite planes personally

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
how exactly does a fighter end up as a bomber?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

UberJew posted:

tbh when it comes to blowing up tanks i'll probably just recommend more phantoms

phantoms are fantastic and cheap and one of my favorite planes personally

Oh I fuckin love Phantoms too don't get me wrong. I just set out to see if we could do even better.

Thefluffy posted:

The hardware involved in dropping a bomb is pretty simple, so usually it's a "well we already have these, so can we make them drop bombs too?" thing. Or sometimes they start out with the intention of being both, but those usually go... poorly.

e:

What happened to its 4th pylon :pwn:

power crystals fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 30, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

it can carry bombs and it becomes outmoded as a fighter?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I am seriously thinking about suggesting ditching the Phantoms (even though I love them) in favour of ex-USN/USMC legacy Bugs, because they have greater capabilities and they use probe and drogue refuelling instead of boom refuelling like our current Phantoms. They can't refuel off our VC-10, unlike Hornets, and we're lucky that CMANO doesn't make us specify whether our KC-135 is set up for probe and drogue or boom refuelling.

Edit: if we ever get to a point where we're ditching Phantoms, perhaps we could part-exchange then for some Super Etendards?

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 30, 2017

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Thefluffy posted:

the improvements in radar and SAMs meant that the traditional strategic bomber/heavy bomber has become largely obsolete, they can only operate if they're insanely overengineered (b-1 and b-2) or in fully permissive airspace

even in vietnam with fairly early export SAMs and tons of ewar support us lost b-52s routinely

simultaneously the amount of ordnance fighters could lift increased with better engines and better understanding of airframe design

at a certain point the need for bombers to have more maneuverability and lower RCS and the increasing ability of fighters to carry bombs converged and we got the f-15 strike eagle

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

power crystals posted:

What happened to its 4th pylon :pwn:

probably stolen by ground crew, as australians are all criminals

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Quinntan posted:

I am seriously thinking about suggesting ditching the Phantoms (even though I love them) in favour of ex-USN/USMC legacy Bugs, because they have greater capabilities and they use probe and drogue refuelling instead of boom refuelling like our current Phantoms. They can't refuel off our VC-10, unlike Hornets, and we're lucky that CMANO doesn't make us specify whether our KC-135 is set up for probe and drogue or boom refuelling.

Edit: if we ever get to a point where we're ditching Phantoms, perhaps we could part-exchange then for some Super Etendards?

I'm okay with Hornets in general though I don't know if they'd do this specific thing quite as well. They can however apparently mount every weapon ever created, so there's that.

This made me curious, what lone aircraft in CMANO has the most loadouts available? The answer surprised me, at least. You start scrolling and it just doesn't end.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's worth noting that if we're looking for more boom than a Mk82 can provide, but we want to carry more individual munitions than we would be able to with Mk84s, there exists the Mk83, a 1000lb iron bomb that is fully compatible with JDAM and laser GBU bomb kits.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

We have a c-130 does this mean we have the MOAB?

If we do we should use it i mean look at how beautiful this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ8j4QlYcYk

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Looking at the A-6E, it's a pretty decent strike aircraft if we could get it on the cheap:

*long range
*4 GBU's
*4 HARMs
*4 Harpoons (for all our piracy needs)
*4 Walleyes (Maverick on steroids with a 2000lb warhead and 30nm range)
*buddy stores

They look to be competent bomb trucks if we could drag them out of Davis-Monthan and refurb them for cheap.

E: Is there any conceivable situation, game wise, where we would use dumb or cluster bombs instead of GBU's?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

power crystals posted:

I'm okay with Hornets in general though I don't know if they'd do this specific thing quite as well. They can however apparently mount every weapon ever created, so there's that.

This made me curious, what lone aircraft in CMANO has the most loadouts available? The answer surprised me, at least. You start scrolling and it just doesn't end.

I think they can, and they can haul their bombs further, at the cost of only having one AIM-120D and a pair of AIM-9Xs to defend themselves compared to the pair of AMRAAM-Bs on the Phantom.

https://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=4575

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Tythas posted:

We have a c-130 does this mean we have the MOAB?

If we do we should use it i mean look at how beautiful this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ8j4QlYcYk

Baloogan :argh: model the GBU-43 for the C-130's please

nvm it's for the MC-130

Edit

The Dominican Republic is still using p-51's and 47's we should "liberate" some from them for reasons

Tythas fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 30, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

sparkmaster posted:

Looking at the A-6E, it's a pretty decent strike aircraft if we could get it on the cheap:

*long range
*4 GBU's
*4 HARMs
*4 Harpoons (for all our piracy needs)
*4 Walleyes (Maverick on steroids with a 2000lb warhead and 30nm range)
*buddy stores

They look to be competent bomb trucks if we could drag them out of Davis-Monthan and refurb them for cheap.

E: Is there any conceivable situation, game wise, where we would use dumb or cluster bombs instead of GBU's?

Can they actually survive in an airspace that still has some air Defence stuff in tact?

Honestly if it cannot run SEAD missions (or is an EWAR platform) it's not really a priority at this point

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
They carry double the HARMs that our Tornadoes do. Give them air cover and jamming support (just like we would our Tornadoes on SEAD missions), they would be very capable for the price.

Realistically, we aren't going to send in our Wild Weasels unless we've sanitized the airspace as best we can. The Tornado certainly has some advantages, but replacing them in the SEAD role means they are free to use their cruise missiles. The A-6E could potentially be a good, cheap HARM boat, if the price is right.

E: The A-6 can carry air launched decoys as well.

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 30, 2017

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I found a magic lamp and I wished for this universe to have F-111Fs available so we should be good to go on that one ok thanks you're welcome

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

sparkmaster posted:

Dumb are cheaper but otherwise, no, not really. Cluster bombs are way more effective in certain situations but some of us are trying to avoid committing warcrimes by littering UXO everywhere while supposedly on the good team. Next time we can go sign up with angerpeace and then cluster everything.

e: ok LGBs need a laser to paint the target and there are times where that's impossible or impractical, but for that there's GPS/INS guided munitions too (which I'm pretty sure some/most GBUs can operate as). I'm assuming you're referring to dumb bombs instead of PGMs in the general sense, not specifically lasers.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Can they actually survive in an airspace that still has some air Defence stuff in tact?

Honestly if it cannot run SEAD missions (or is an EWAR platform) it's not really a priority at this point

Look I let you guys figure out the SEAD/EWAR stuff I just want to help out the second wave that's in charge of vaporizing everything on the ground.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
I'm more concerned about the A-6's ability to get out of dodge, which is pretty poor tbh.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Setting aside the SEAD/DEAD and OECM needs, hell yeah I want to see some stupid goddamned Mig-21 and 27s. Also, we need some Mirages in here and the A-6 would be sweet for a lot of missions not involving IADS. I love our Phantoms but it's a little one-note and there's so many great, totally marginally outdated planes out there for us to operate.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Going live shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCiOYtWCdFz_b8BL-AWaaMzg?live

https://www.twitch.tv/hiredgoons_pmc

I believe the stream stuttering issue should be resolved. I'll keep an eye on chat occasionally but probably won't reply, so if this turns into a dumpster fire I can pretend I don't see you.

:supaburn:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Assume Chinese Stealth zeppelin fleet until proven otherwise."

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Topo map is awesome.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Turns out hiring Mobius 1 was a great idea.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The sky is full of missiles!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is seriously just an Ace Combat mission.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This is getting bloody, and its not over yet. :ohdear:

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

In light of today's events, I will stop lurking.

Put me in a sweet EWAR bird (when it comes available) as GhostSight

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Final combat report: JESUS loving CHRIST WHAT THE gently caress

But we survived.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

HOLY CRAP what a fight.

Oh my god.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hoooooly shiiiiit what a mission.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Hot take: Wow.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Yes that's me, loving around near a tanker while the rest gets shot down.

Yooper will you show us the losses and expenditures for this one as well?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Goddamn but this giving me a whole new take on modern combat

DID YOU SEE WHEN ROHAN TOOK OUT THAT FIRST SQUADRON BY HERSELF OH MY GOD

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

chitoryu12 posted:

This is seriously an Ace Combat mission.

Rohan being unavailable for next mission due to tracking down Silent Bobs Emergency Transponder in enemy territory with her pistol

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

o7 for days.

Give everybody involved, like, ALL the medals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Whew! That was far and away the best mission yet. Glad I got to actually watch it.